2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago
STC wrote: 3 weeks ago I know Pepperdine is a dead end job but this is the best they could do? A re-tread who hasn't been a head coach in 20 years and was below .500 at Wright State between 1997-2003. There had to be some young plucky assistant coach eager to climb the ranks as opposed to a 58-year old re-tread.
9 NCAA tournament appearances between 1976-1994 is pretty good. Made the tournament again in 2000 and 2002, but nothing since. Feels like they've underachieved for a while considering what they used to be and their location
13 NCAA appearances in total for the Waves. That is three more than URI.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Musselman to USC sounds like a done deal. That'll be an interesting spot for him. Curious to see how it turns out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago Musselman to USC sounds like a done deal. That'll be an interesting spot for him. Curious to see how it turns out.
Makes sense , he spent a lot of time in California, I’m rooting for him to fail but I think it’s a good hire
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Excellent pickup for SLU and the A10, Jersey. Iron sharpens iron.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Excellent pickup for SLU and the A10, Jersey. Iron sharpens iron.
Some really good coaches in the A10
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

My favorite seat on the carousel right now is Arkansas. It was reported last night that Chris Beard was all but a lock...now it's Jerome Tang from KState as the front-runner. Everyone running to be first on Twitter leading to so many people reporting rumors as fact.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like this hire also , another example of a coach moving up to a better conference
1 x
RIsVeryOwn
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RIsVeryOwn »

Per Jon Rothstein, Tang and Beard are staying at their schools.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The question is who the coach is taking with him from Indiana State to St. Louis.
would make St. Louis a top 4 A10 team next year just like that!!!!!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rjv wrote: 3 weeks ago The question is who the coach is taking with him from Indiana State to St. Louis.
That’s a good point , Will their star player follow ?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago
rjv wrote: 3 weeks ago The question is who the coach is taking with him from Indiana State to St. Louis.
That’s a good point , Will their star player follow ?
I think Robbie Avalia would join him, he’s very close with Schertz. Also not entirely sure how his game would transition to the P5 level too.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What fun it will be to see a Schertz (shirts) vs. Skinn's A10 rivalry game.
Haven't seen that since I was in the gym or on the playground.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

just for fun...

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago just for fun...

This might actually happen wtf
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Wow incredible late night news !
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Wild. Sounds like it might be done:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... l-arkansas
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kentucky job open wonder who they target ?
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago Kentucky job open wonder who they target ?
Talk about their top target being Billy Donovan. They will shoot high. They have the money, especially now that they don’t have to worry about the $33 million Calipari buyout.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 3 weeks ago
Talk about their top target being Billy Donovan. They will shoot high. They have the money, especially now that they don’t have to worry about the $33 million Calipari buyout.
I think Cal's yearly total package was worth about $8.5M at Kentucky.

Kentucky currently has the #2 ranked recruiting class in the nation with 6 top ranked recruits.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

wow. didn't have Calipari leaving on my bingo card.

nothing should come as a surprise anymore but this still did.
0 x
:lol:
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago wow. didn't have Calipari leaving on my bingo card.

It's a pretty shrewd move on his part, since he seemingly had one year left in Kentucky without a deep NCAA run. Jumping to Arkansas probably extends his clock if he wants to keep coaching, and while it's a step down in terms of program prestige, you can still win at Arkansas.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Dan Hurley.. I made the outlandish prediction when Kentucky got bounced from the tourney. Can't belive Kentucky won't at least reach out to him. What more does he need to accomplish at uconn. Probably not going to happen, but probably gets him an extension and a nice bump in salary. Then again he likes a challenge
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While you never really know what motivates a coach to move on, and I'm certain Kentucky reaches out, I don't see what would motivate DH from leaving UConn. I just can't see it.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 3 weeks ago Dan Hurley.. I made the outlandish prediction when Kentucky got bounced from the tourney. Can't belive Kentucky won't at least reach out to him. What more does he need to accomplish at uconn. Probably not going to happen, but probably gets him an extension and a nice bump in salary. Then again he likes a challenge
Yeah, I am sure they will at least reach out to him and Donovan.

Then probably Oats, Scott Drew, and any other top names.
Or a longshot, coax Jay Wright out of retirement.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My question is, what is so great about Calipari lately? The guy has done nothing in recent years, with basically an unlimited support system. I guess his overall history still gives him clout, it'll be interesting to see what his contract pays him. Crazy!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The names thrown out so far that I have seen:

Scott Drew - Baylor HC
Jay Wright - CBS Broadcaster - Former Villanova HC
Billy Donovan - Chicago Bulls HC
Brad Stevens - Celtics President
Dan Hurley - UConn HC
Nate Oats - Alabama HC
Shaka Smart - Marquette HC
Tommy Lloyd - Arizona HC
T.J. Otzelberger - Iowa State HC
Todd Golden - Florida HC
Mark Pope - Brigham Young HC
Rick Pitino - St John's HC
Kelvin Sampson - Houston HC
Lamont Paris - South Carolina HC
Amir Abdur-Rahim - South Florida HC
Fred Hoiberg - Nebraska HC
Mark Few - Gonzaga HC
Brad Underwood - Illinois HC
Bruce Pearl - Auburn HC
Sean Miller - Xavier HC
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hurley isn't leaving UConn. Certainly not before he passes Calhoun for titles. Then - it would be more likely he retires.

Just like when I said Kentucky would be open, and Dan would use this as leverage to improve UConn (assistant's pay, NIL, etc), Dan isn't doing another rebuild. He's a God in a place he reveres, and he considered UConn a "big" job when it was a lifeless mid-major in the AAC. What do you think he considers UConn now?

Kentucky was never on his list. UConn is a better basketball program than Kentucky (fact), is in a better position than Kentucky, and the kind of kids he targets at UConn are the same kind of kids he would target at Kentucky. He doesn't want 5 star kids unless they're like Stephon Castle. He passes on kids now.

He will do what he always did here and use the Kentucky opening as leverage.

Rutgers, Seton Hall, and St Johns were all better programs that seriously reached out to Dan when he was at URI. They all offered more money. They are higher level programs. What did Dan do? Oh yeah he stayed and negotiated more support for his program. He has his dream job now. Duke or UNC are the only collegiate threats. The Knicks are the only professional threat. It is still more likely that he retires than leaves UConn for another coaching job.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would Brad Stevens leave the Celtics?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Hurley isn't leaving UConn. Certainly not before he passes Calhoun for titles. Then - it would be more likely he retires.

Just like when I said Kentucky would be open, and Dan would use this as leverage to improve UConn (assistant's pay, NIL, etc), Dan isn't doing another rebuild. He's a God in a place he reveres, and he considered UConn a "big" job when it was a lifeless mid-major in the AAC. What do you think he considers UConn now?

Kentucky was never on his list. UConn is a better basketball program than Kentucky (fact), is in a better position than Kentucky, and the kind of kids he targets at UConn are the same kind of kids he would target at Kentucky. He doesn't want 5 star kids unless they're like Stephon Castle. He passes on kids now.

Rutgers, Seton Hall, and St Johns were all better programs that seriously reached out to Dan when he was at URI. They all offered more money. They are higher level programs. What did Dan do? Oh yeah he stayed and negotiated more support for his program. He has his dream job now. Duke or UNC are the only collegiate threats. The Knicks are the only professional threat. It is still more likely that he retires than leaves UConn for another coaching job.
So you're saying there's "zero chance" Hurley leaves UConn?

:)
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Would Brad Stevens leave the Celtics?
78, If I was Brad, I would stay put. The college game has changed a great deal since he left it. Although, he certainly has learned how to acquire and pay professionals so, maybe it’s not such a stretch. 😁

More importantly, he could win an NBA championship this year. Hard to pass that up bringing another championship to a storied franchise.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

There have been rumors about Brad Stevens for years - it's always been squashed because the thought is he has no interest in the recruiting etc of the college game. Not sure how true that is, but I would think he'd be back to the college game already if he was going to.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Would Brad Stevens leave the Celtics?
78, If I was Brad, I would stay put. The college game has changed a great deal since he left it. Although, he certainly has learned how to acquire and pay professionals so, maybe it’s not such a stretch. 😁

More importantly, he could win an NBA championship this year. Hard to pass that up bringing another championship to a storied franchise.
Yeah, he's not leaving. Crazy that his name is even out there.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't think Dan goes to Kentucky either, but they are one of those programs that could make such a good offer that he might need to entertain it. Getting offered by decent high majors while he was at Rhody is one thing. Getting offered a stupid amount of money to coach at one of the biggest programs in college basketball history is another.

For example, AD was all in on playing for Thad Matta at Ohio State. He committed early, and this was when Ohio State had one of the best programs in the country. Kentucky kept calling and calling, and AD said screw it, I'll come for a visit, but I'm not backing out of my commitment. Something about Kentucky felt right to him, and he changed his mind. That's why I never say never. But ya, I don't see how he leaves Uconn. I would be very surprised if he did.

If you go 23 minutes in, he talks about it here.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago I don't think Dan goes to Kentucky either, but they are one of those programs that could make such a good offer that he might need to entertain it. Getting offered by decent high majors while he was at Rhody is one thing. Getting offered a stupid amount of money to coach at one of the biggest programs in college basketball history is another.

For example, AD was all in on playing for Thad Matta at Ohio State. He committed early, and this was when Ohio State had one of the best programs in the country. Kentucky kept calling and calling, and AD said screw it, I'll come for a visit, but I'm not backing out of my commitment. Something about Kentucky felt right to him, and he changed his mind. That's why I never say never. But ya, I don't see how he leaves Uconn. I would be very surprised if he did.

I agree Steve that most likely Dan will stay at UConn.

But still, Kentucky will probably reach out and throw something crazy at him.
If they can almost double his current compensation and of course the opportunity to coach at Kentucky and with all that NIL $ available, it may be too good of an opportunity to walk away from.
Also, UConn will probably need to rebuild next season and Kentucky currently has the #2 class in the nation and always attracts the top recruits.

Who knows but it makes for good off-season drama.

Still, it doesn't affect Rhody, and I don't really care either way but fun to watch from afar.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan's an east coast guy....although we used to say that about Bobby too.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago I don't think Dan goes to Kentucky either, but they are one of those programs that could make such a good offer that he might need to entertain it. Getting offered by decent high majors while he was at Rhody is one thing. Getting offered a stupid amount of money to coach at one of the biggest programs in college basketball history is another.

I agree Steve that most likely Dan will stay at UConn.

But still, Kentucky will probably reach out and throw something crazy at him.
If they can almost double his current compensation and of course the opportunity to coach at Kentucky and with all that NIL $ available, it may be too good of an opportunity to walk away from.
Also, UConn will probably need to rebuild next season and Kentucky currently has the #2 class in the nation and always attracts the top recruits.

Who knows but it makes for good off-season drama.

Still, it doesn't affect Rhody, and I don't really care either way but fun to watch from afar.
I think most of Kentucky's class is going to bolt - They were recruited by Calipari, and I doubt they feel any particular allegiance to Kentucky itself. Plus at this point in the recruiting cycle, they'd be among the best HS prospects available, with plenty of suitors depending on what programs have been hit by transfers. Even if Hurley had to rebuild at UConn, I think it's way easier from the position of being at the same school he won a national championship at - maybe two - and in the geographic region where they are unquestionably the elite program right now.

The only advantage Kentucky has to me would be cash, and even that might not be a given. UConn is probably already negotiating with Hurley's agent on a raise and an extension. I don't know if Hurley wants to coach in the NBA, but I think it's more likely he would leave college for that than switching from UConn to another NCAA job.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I would think Dan stays also but what if they offer 12 M per year maybe he would @ least listen

Billy Donovan makes the most sense to me he’s already coached 9 years in the NBA maybe they throw 10 M per year to him that’s more than he makes in the NbA
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Dan's an east coast guy....although we used to say that about Bobby too.
It’s a long drive to the beach from Kentucky. :D

Lake beaches don’t do it for me. Give me the ocean.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Hurley isn't leaving UConn. Certainly not before he passes Calhoun for titles. Then - it would be more likely he retires.

So you're saying there's "zero chance" Hurley leaves UConn?

:)
I see what you did there and I applaud it
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Would love to see ace's take on this.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Kentucky recruit Karter Knox just reopened his recruitment.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This one could could also be in the former players thread

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago This one could could also be in the former players thread

Wow good for him last job was @ BC
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The URI to Canisius pipeline continues, inexplicably!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago wow. didn't have Calipari leaving on my bingo card.

you're welcome ;)
0 x