2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by reef »

DH is making 5.25 M per year though 28-29 , big time value contract hope he gets a raise
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Another one for the "3 schools in 4 years" crowd. Also on the 4 schools in 7 years team.

HOW DARE HE!? WHERES THE LOYALTY!? rabblerabblerabble
I mean, you can’t count Lanier.

He was fired, wasn’t his choice to leave SMU.
He left Georgia State after 3 years to hop to the next job anyway...whether it's 3 in 5 years from before, or 3 in 4 years like now, he's certainly not the "loyal" type.
SMU moving up to ACC in Football, Basketball and all sports. They saw an opportunity to move up and took it. SMU saw an opportunity to upgrade the Basketball HC position and moved on Lanier firing him. And sure it works both ways. SMU could have not only seen Lanier as not up to ACC standards but also saw him as a guy who would jump ship at the drop of a hat.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 month ago DH is making 5.25 M per year though 28-29 , big time value contract hope he gets a raise
On the pace he's at, he's going to make way wayyyyy more than that right now.

"Winning the Big East and the conference tournament are each worth $100,000. An appearance in the first and second rounds are each worth $50,000. The Sweet 16 is worth $100,000, and appearances in the Elite Eight, Final Four and national title game are all worth $200,000. A championship win again would give Hurley a $500,000 payout.

He can also earn $50,000 for being ranked in the top 25 at the end of the regular season, $100,000 for being ranked in the top 10, $50,000 for being named conference coach of the year and $100,000 for national coach of the year."

Sooo...

Already accomplished:

"Academic" incentives. Assuming "check". $200k
Top 25. Check. $50k.
Top 10. Check. $100k.
Big East COY. Check. $50k.
Big East regular season. Check. $100k.
Big East tourney. Check. $100k.
First round. Check. $50k.
Second round. Check. $50k.
Sweet 16. Check. $100k.

That's a cool $800k so far.

Yet to go:
National COY. $100k.
Elite 8. $200k.
Final 4. $200k.
National Title. $200k.
Win it all. $500k.

In the next 2 weeks he could secure another $1.2M on top of that, so he could theoretically earn $7.5M this year.

Good for him. UConn basketball turned over $10.6M last year against a contract that probably paid him half of his current number. That doesn't even count what the state of CT makes off of UConn (UConn also pays $40k per men's game to use the XL center). Nevermind the free advertising and marketing UConn gets for these tourney runs.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

reef wrote: 1 month ago DH is making 5.25 M per year though 28-29 , big time value contract hope he gets a raise

"Winning the Big East and the conference tournament are each worth $100,000. An appearance in the first and second rounds are each worth $50,000. The Sweet 16 is worth $100,000, and appearances in the Elite Eight, Final Four and national title game are all worth $200,000. A championship win again would give Hurley a $500,000 payout.

He can also earn $50,000 for being ranked in the top 25 at the end of the regular season, $100,000 for being ranked in the top 10, $50,000 for being named conference coach of the year and $100,000 for national coach of the year."

Sooo...

Already accomplished:

Top 25. Check. $50k.
Top 10. Check. $100k.
Sweet 16. Check. $100k.

Yet to go:
National COY. $100k.
Elite 8. $200k.
Final 4. $200k.
National Title. $200k.
Win it all. $500k.

In the next 2 weeks he could secure another $1.2M on top of that, so he could theoretically earn $7.5M this year.

Good for him. UConn basketball turned over $10.6M last year against a contract that probably paid him half of his current number. That doesn't even count what the state of CT makes off of UConn (UConn also pays $40k per men's game to use the XL center). Nevermind the free advertising and marketing UConn gets for these tourney runs.
And despite that he's still wearing the same blue suit he wore at Rhody, drives a pickup truck and probably has a shit ton of money just sitting in his savings account LOL.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok great points you guys made on DH salary

A quick search showed DH 7th in salary

Calipari @ 9.5 and Self @ 8.6 led the way

For some reason Cooley wasn’t on that list don’t know how they missed him
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Looks like Siena is hiring Gerry McNamara as it’s next head coach
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RIrugger01 wrote: 1 month ago Looks like Siena is hiring Gerry McNamara as it’s next head coach
Good for Gerry

What about UConn assistants Kimani Young and Luke Murray ?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It would be great for the conference if either Young or Murray get A10 jobs.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Another one for the "3 schools in 4 years" crowd. Also on the 4 schools in 7 years team.

HOW DARE HE!? WHERES THE LOYALTY!? rabblerabblerabble
I mean, you can’t count Lanier.

He was fired, wasn’t his choice to leave SMU.
Sure we can, because posters have no problem with pushing players out than asking where their loyalty is
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago It would be great for the conference if either Young or Murray get A10 jobs.
Dan wants to keep them. He specifically lobbied in that last contract to expand his pool to pay them more.

They’d definitely be worthy of a job - but I think Dan wants to pay them well enough to stay, and wait out a plum P4 spot.

Plus if you’re making low level HC money, why would you leave the well oiled machine in the middle of a serious run.

If Klingan/Karaban/Castle stay another year, they can reload immediately.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 month ago Ok great points you guys made on DH salary

A quick search showed DH 7th in salary

Calipari @ 9.5 and Self @ 8.6 led the way

For some reason Cooley wasn’t on that list don’t know how they missed him
Maybe it was public schools only because private schools don't have to disclose contracts?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago It would be great for the conference if either Young or Murray get A10 jobs.
Dan wants to keep them. He specifically lobbied in that last contract to expand his pool to pay them more.

They’d definitely be worthy of a job - but I think Dan wants to pay them well enough to stay, and wait out a plum P4 spot.

Plus if you’re making low level HC money, why would you leave the well oiled machine in the middle of a serious run.

Good points Blue, let’s see if they can keep both

So far we have a trend of mid major coaches getting P6 jobs in the last few days

FAU coach to Michigan
Utah St coach to Washington
Drake coach to WVU
James Madison coach to Vandy
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kyle Smith to Stanford from Washington St

Like that hire !
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago

Exactly! I've been waiting for the posts calling coaches selfish mercenaries who have no loyalty and are only after money. Weird how it's suddenly quiet on that front and all the concern about "culture" and "family" has disappeared!
You never hear posters lamenting their lost love of college basketball with all of the coach movement. So weird
There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years? Being a college athlete is not a real career, it’s a temp job. Coaches are in this for 30+ years if they are lucky and need to look at the long term. I assume most of you have not worked at the same job your entire career and I also assume you don’t change every year.
Player leaving school is not 'player abandoning school'...it's 'player using school, just like school/coach uses player'...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

You never hear posters lamenting their lost love of college basketball with all of the coach movement. So weird
There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years? Being a college athlete is not a real career, it’s a temp job. Coaches are in this for 30+ years if they are lucky and need to look at the long term. I assume most of you have not worked at the same job your entire career and I also assume you don’t change every year.
Player leaving school is not 'player abandoning school'...it's 'player using school, just like school/coach uses player'...
Seems nowadays, the only ones being used are the fans.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Seems nowadays, the only ones being used are the fans.
Could they sell the practice facility and use the money to pay the better players?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

All 3 will leave.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago

All 3 will leave.
Can’t see Karaban going yet. The NIL money is there and he’s been in a funk a majority of this season. He’s not league ready. I’d put him as least likely. Mom is an immigrant, degree is a must.

Castle is unique, could probably get an NIL bag next year and improve his draft stock further.

Clingan is an interesting case. Massive and definitely going to the NBA - he cares about college though, it was his dying mom’s wish - I wonder if he does a 3rd year because of that.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Newton, Castle, and Clingan will go NBA.

UConn will likely take a step back next season but will still be very good obviously.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Newton, Castle, and Clingan will go NBA.

UConn will likely take a step back next season but will still be very good obviously.
I don't know about that. I could see Castle going. The other two, Blue Man's points I think ring true. We'll see.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

All 3 will leave.
Can’t see Karaban going yet. The NIL money is there and he’s been in a funk a majority of this season. He’s not league ready. I’d put him as least likely. Mom is an immigrant, degree is a must.

Castle is unique, could probably get an NIL bag next year and improve his draft stock further.

Clingan is an interesting case. Massive and definitely going to the NBA - he cares about college though, it was his dying mom’s wish - I wonder if he does a 3rd year because of that.
Castle can’t really improve his stock, lottery pick. Some have him Top 10. He’s a no brainer gone.

Clingan is Top 6 in latest ESPN mock.

Don’t really see the correlation between Karaban’s mom being an immigrant and a degree being a “must” for him. He can always go back and get the degree later on.

His counting numbers are up across the board, %s around the same.

Don’t see how can you say he’s been in a funk a majority of the season, multiple 20+ point games, only one three game stretch under single digits in a row.

Low first, early second round projection for him.

I guess there’s a small chance he stays, but high high probability gone.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

All 3 will leave.

Castle can’t really improve his stock, lottery pick. Some have him Top 10. He’s a no brainer gone.

Clingan is Top 6 in latest ESPN mock.

Don’t really see the correlation between Karaban’s mom being an immigrant and a degree being a “must” for him.

His counting numbers are up across the board, %s around the same.

Don’t see how can you say he’s been in a funk a majority of the season, multiple 20+ point games, only one three game stretch under single digits in a row.

Low first, early second round projection for him.
1) most likely gone. This is more hopeful that he'd stay, but I don't think Hurley will have a problem recruiting a replacement.

2) Clingan has a serious tie in with staying home and doing 4 years of college. It was his mom's dying wish. He stayed home at Bristol to break her own scoring and rebounding records. He went to UConn because it's home. Since his recruitment he said 4 years of college because that's what his mom wanted. He's incredibly tight with his dad and younger sister as well. It would be more shocking to see him leave UConn if he didn't at least get a degree. I'd lean on him coming back.

3) If you don't know of his mom or understand AK's recruitment process, than you wouldn't get it. First generation immigrant who understands the gift and importance and impact of free education. If you have immigrant grandparents that should make sense to you. I've never heard of a recruit's mom making the basketball coach find multiple deans and professors on a Saturday to come back to campus and give a tour of the classrooms and talk about curriculum before allowing a walk through of the athletic facilities...but yeah maybe you're right and I'm just guessing. From a shooting perspective, as someone who watched as much UConn as I did URI this year, he's been in a steady downward shooting slump from the beginning of the year to now. He's a key cog for UConn but I don't think has got to the level of being NBA ready yet.

UConn also hangs banners in their practice facility for lottery picks. If you're going to the league, I could see you at least waiting to get a top 15 pick so you get your name and picture up there for eternity.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I doubt this will happen, but imagine?

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago I doubt this will happen, but imagine?

LMAO. I mean...I don't know anyone...anyone, including every PC fan when PC was good and in love with Cooley, that would say he was a great coach.

The tagline on him was, and I'll quote myself "he's not a great X's and O's guy - but he's a great recruiter, good player developer, and a good guy who leads his program in an enviable way. He's a good figurehead."

Well after how the PC thing went down, the latter and more important parts of that statement went out the window. If he were to burn Georgetown after a year it would be both hilarious and completely tarnish any shred of dignity he had. I'm here for it.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Nobody really has any idea what’s going on with Louisville. I guess they were pretty confident in Dusty May but he backed out and took Michigan. I’ve heard a bunch of names being thrown around including Pat Kelsey.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It would be a fun day around here, that's for sure!! :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a bit.

Goodman for years brought up Cooley for a ton of big jobs, including lobbying for him to replace Ewing for years.

The Field of 68 guys ran with it and now use Cooley kind of as a punchline for any job now.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1 of them would almost definitely have been in strong consideration for Fairfield if their interim coach didn't end up having a great season and pulling a Rodney Terry. It seems difficult to jump from assistant to first time HC at a P4 so I still think they need an intermediary stop on the ladder but who knows maybe if UConn keeps dominating in this fashion they can make that leap.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Expected and makes perfect sense.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Expected and makes perfect sense.

LeBron's point guard in high school.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Danny Sprinkle leaving Utah State after one season is such horseshit.

I'm sorry, but to me that's worse than almost any player leaving. Or it's the equivalent of a beloved player leaving for a rival.

Like really dude? ONE freaking year?

Hope he fails miserably at Washington.

Even JMU's coach going to Vandy. Stupid f'n move.

Build a mid major into something special guys. Or stay a little while longer, I mean shit, do something special instead of what? Chasing the money at an average power conference team?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Danny Sprinkle leaving Utah State after one season is such horseshit.

I'm sorry, but to me that's worse than almost any player leaving. Or it's the equivalent of a beloved player leaving for a rival.

Build a mid major into something special guys. Or stay a little while longer, I mean shit, do something special instead of what? Chasing the money at an average power conference team?
Washington has a top tier athletic program in a fertile recruiting area. Heading to Big 10.

Absolute no brainer to go there.

Byington stayed 7 years at his first job, Georgia Southern. 4 years, one full recruiting cycle, at JMU.

Natural move up to a P5. He's put in his due for a job like this.

Vandy with success in the past and the most powerful conference in America. Great location, football program sucks so can maybe become a basketball school with some success.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Danny Sprinkle leaving Utah State after one season is such horseshit.

He can bring his entire team with him if they are good enough to play in a better conference. It's the new reality of CBB.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Washington has a top tier athletic program in a fertile recruiting area. Heading to Big 10.

Absolute no brainer to go there.

Byington stayed 7 years at his first job, Georgia Southern. 4 years, one full recruiting cycle, at JMU.

Natural move up to a P5. He's put in his due for a job like this.

Vandy with success in the past and the most powerful conference in America. Great location, football program sucks so can maybe become a basketball school with some success.
Vandy is the only athletic program in the SEC that doesn't give a shit. They don't have NIL worth a damn, they don't invest in anything other than baseball. They are garbage. It's a huge risk and he could get something much better than that down the line. Vandy is a doormat. They also might have less actual fans than we do lol trust me I live here.

And yeah all of that is obvious about Washington. It's just bullshit to stay at a place like Utah St for one year. Another example of literally just chasing the money. He of course said it was his dream job and they are paying him millions, but it's sociopathic to talk all that shit about "building a culture" "building something special" if you have your eye on Washington the entire time.

Utah St has had 3 coaches since 18-19. All three have taken them to the tournament and left immediately lol.

Maybe it's just awful to live in Logan, Utah. How bad IS it coaches? You're winning there? The scenery is nice!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Goodman for years brought up Cooley for a ton of big jobs, including lobbying for him to replace Ewing for years.

The Field of 68 guys ran with it and now use Cooley kind of as a punchline for any job now.

Yup, a bit just like I thought.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

I agree with the one year thing - the only exception was a situation that happened a long time ago. Skip Prosser was a long time assitant at Xavier and left to become HC at Loyola (MD) for the 93/94 season. After that season, Xavier head coach was hired away by Providence, and then Prosser left Loyola (MD) to become Xavier's head coach. In that case, a long time assistant returning to the head coaching job isn't BS. But I do agreat with PTRs point in general.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago

Sooo...

Already accomplished:

Top 25. Check. $50k.
Top 10. Check. $100k.
Sweet 16. Check. $100k.

Yet to go:
National COY. $100k.
Elite 8. $200k.
Final 4. $200k.
National Title. $200k.
Win it all. $500k.

And despite that he's still wearing the same blue suit he wore at Rhody, drives a pickup truck and probably has a shit ton of money just sitting in his savings account LOL.
Nah, it's all in short-term CDs...for the extra .05% of interest.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Yup, a bit just like I thought.
This bit would be better than who they are currently in talks with. Seeing that they are looking at Pitino - but the store brand Pitino, Richard.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah just saw that Pitino JR could be going from New Mexico to Louisville makes sense
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 1 month ago Yeah just saw that Pitino JR could be going from New Mexico to Louisville makes sense
Makes sense for Baby Pitino. Louisville cannot miss on this hire after Chris Mack and then the Kenny Payne disaster - they swung for the fences with Dusty May and he chose UM and now they're doing their best not to panic. You can't take a chance on this guy in his situation if you're Louisville.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

The Louisville coaching search is a disaster. Richard Pitino announced he will be staying at New Mexico.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I can't imagine he was a serious candidate. He was 11-9 in the Sun Belt, 54-96 in the Big 10, and 23-30 so far in Mountain West. The only thing special about his resume is his last name. If Louisville was seriously hiring the quintessential nepo baby than they really have no plans of competing in the ACC
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Wow, I wonder how much he makes at New Mexico?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So about 20 minutes between Pitino announcing he was taking himself out of the running and reports that Louisville and Kelsey are close to a deal? No way Pitino was a serious candidate
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago So about 20 minutes between Pitino announcing he was taking himself out of the running and reports that Louisville and Kelsey are close to a deal? No way Pitino was a serious candidate
The ole "You're not breaking up with me, I'm breaking up with you" scenario.
3 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Sounds like a nice hire
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow! Just Wow!

Edit: I can't find any other source for this, so this might be a parady account or soemthing - my apologies.
Last edited by steviep123 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

BAHAHAHHA

Holy hell
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago Wow! Just Wow!

It amazes me how many people this account still dupes.

This Twitter is clearly all fake news. Definitely false information.

The entire Twitter account is to try and dupe people.

Disregard the tweet and keep it moving. Lol
4 x