2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I didn’t scrutinize every post closely, Reef, but I did notice some negative posts of Cooley similar to some negative posts we get of Archie on here as to style of play, player usage, etc.

Didn’t appear to be a lot of excitement around KJ either. A few posters defended KJ regarding his NCAA discipline but aren’t falling over themselves with excitement over his potential hire.

I only looked at posts between 3/19 to today.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I didn’t scrutinize every post closely, Reef, but I did notice some negative posts of Cooley similar to some negative posts we get of Archie on here as to style of play, player usage, etc.

Didn’t appear to be a lot of excitement around KJ either. A few posters defended KJ regarding his NCAA discipline but aren’t falling over themselves with excitement over his potential hire.

It’s going to be interesting to follow his progress there , he makes tons of cash
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I didn’t scrutinize every post closely, Reef, but I did notice some negative posts of Cooley similar to some negative posts we get of Archie on here as to style of play, player usage, etc.

It’s going to be interesting to follow his progress there , he makes tons of cash
If he makes tons, must mean there's tons to be made, and if there's tons to be made, they'll find tons for gettin the players paid
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
Wow ! Seems like a good hire !
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
Apparently May told Louisville he was taking the job, they had a press conference all set up, and then changed his mind sometime throughout the day.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Saw a Shaheen Holloway rumor to Louisville
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

A little off target. Was wondering what happened to jared grasso. Pretty sure I just walked by him in brigidos parking lot in north smithfield. Got out of his still damaged white suv. Guess he's still in ri. Kind of surprised. Glad I'm an old man now. Probably would have said something dumb to him 40 years ago. Maybe he's our next lead recruiter. 😭
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DeVries goes from Drake to WVU 5 year contract , he was an assistant @ Creighton for 18 years then coached Drake for 6
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Looks like Danny Sprinkle off to Washington after only a year at Utah St. No one should complain about kids moving freely between schools.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago Looks like Danny Sprinkle off to Washington after only a year at Utah St. No one should complain about kids moving freely between schools.
Exactly! I've been waiting for the posts calling coaches selfish mercenaries who have no loyalty and are only after money. Weird how it's suddenly quiet on that front and all the concern about "culture" and "family" has disappeared!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the carousel in full swing !!
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

and he will take half the players with him to Washington
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago Looks like Danny Sprinkle off to Washington after only a year at Utah St. No one should complain about kids moving freely between schools.
Really? People are not allowed to complain that 763,802 kids are in the transfer portal with the intent to become immediately eligible? That's all good for them and good for the game? Yippee, I'm so happy for the 763,802 kids. That's great that they're listening to Uncle Willie telling them "you don't need to take that from your coach...shooting 21.3%...you deserve more 15 minutes of playing time! You're big time!"
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago DeVries goes from Drake to WVU 5 year contract , he was an assistant @ Creighton for 18 years then coached Drake for 6
This is a win-win for West Virginia.

They will also get star forward Tucker DeVries (6'7") who is a 2x MVC POY.
He averaged 22 pts/ 7 rebs/ and 3.5 assists.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
Exactly! I've been waiting for the posts calling coaches selfish mercenaries who have no loyalty and are only after money. Weird how it's suddenly quiet on that front and all the concern about "culture" and "family" has disappeared!
You never hear posters lamenting their lost love of college basketball with all of the coach movement. So weird
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 month ago DH said in an interview years ago he would like to eventually coach in the NBA , it can happen down the road
He also said he wanted to retire by 50. Those things always change.

I can guarantee you he’ll be at UConn until he surpasses Calhoun for titles.

No NBA player is going to want to play for Dan like the college kids do. There’s like 5 guys total in the NBA that will dive for loose balls. There’s 5 guys on the court at UConn who will.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
You never hear posters lamenting their lost love of college basketball with all of the coach movement. So weird
There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years? Being a college athlete is not a real career, it’s a temp job. Coaches are in this for 30+ years if they are lucky and need to look at the long term. I assume most of you have not worked at the same job your entire career and I also assume you don’t change every year.
Last edited by RIFan 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago

There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years?
I agree with your first sentence.

However Danny Sprinkle is about to be at his third school in three years.

Last year - Montana St
This year - Utah St
Next year - looking like Vandy, Washington
1 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

As I wrote that I figured there would be one outlier.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Imo no chance Dan coaches NBA.

They would tune him out in a second.

I doubt he will coach anywhere else until he retires.

He has the perfect situation at UConn and makes plenty of money now. He could make more at say Kentucky, but where he is now is close to home and Andrea can still go to the beach lol.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years?
It's new, but ...353 schools times 15 schollys = 5295 players vs 353 head coaches. 1823 players entered the portal but 80% of them actually transferred, so 27%. There were 61 new coaches last year - so 17%. It's not a crazy difference.

Off the top of my head:

Jim Harrick.
Tom Penders.
Danny Sprinkle.
Will Wade.
Ryan Odom.
Rick Pitino.
Tubby Smith. (twice)

I don't feel like doing research but that's just what I know without researching.

I'm sure plenty more like Travis Ford, Thad Matta, Keno Davis with 3 in 5 years.
And plenty more coaches have left before the expiration of their original contracts in under 3 years like Anthony Grant at VCU, Kyle Neptune and Digger Phelps at Fordham (1 year), Kim English at GM (2 years), Bobby Hurley at Buffalo (2 years), Andy Enfield at FGCU (2 years), Richard Pitino FIU (1 year), pretty sure Buzz Williams was somewhere before Marquette, etc etc.

Coaches matter significantly more than players. As the right coach will take you far, and the wrong coach will bury you.

This movement also allows coaches the freedom to move away from players in quick order.

And most of these kids aren't making life changing money. We're talking somewhere between an hourly minimum wage if they were to get a job and an entry level corporate job. If our kids were averaging $30k (plus I'm sure they're paying taxes so take out 22% for that tax bracket)...that's not some lavish lifestyle. It's an opportunity for them to make some money on the open market...which they should've been able to all along.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

It's new, but ...353 schools times 15 schollys = 5295 players vs 353 head coaches. 1823 players entered the portal but 80% of them actually transferred, so 27%. There were 61 new coaches last year - so 17%. It's not a crazy difference.

Off the top of my head:

Jim Harrick.
Tom Penders.
Danny Sprinkle.
Will Wade.
Ryan Odom.
Rick Pitino.
Tubby Smith. (twice)

I don't feel like doing research but that's just what I know without researching.

I'm sure plenty more like Thad Matta, Keno Davis with 3 in 5 years.
And plenty more coaches have left before the expiration of their original contracts in under 3 years like Kyle Neptune and Digger Phelps at Fordham (1 year), Kim English at GM (2 years), Bobby Hurley at Buffalo (2 years), Andy Enfield at FGCU (2 years), Richard Pitino FIU (1 year), etc etc.

Coaches matter significantly more than players. As the right coach will take you far, and the wrong coach will bury you.

This movement also allows coaches the freedom to move away from players in quick order.

And most of these kids aren't making life changing money. We're talking somewhere between an hourly minimum wage if they were to get a job and an entry level corporate job. If our kids were averaging $30k (plus I'm sure they're paying taxes so take out 22% for that tax bracket)...that's not some lavish lifestyle. It's an opportunity for them to make some money on the open market...which they should've been able to all along.
In the past you said the players have been getting paid all along but now it’s all above board. I think that was before these collectives were started by the largest schools and collectives have continued to spread. Don’t you think the players are now getting well above what they were getting under the table?

Some future changes will be making these payments to players taxable - its income - pay for play. Then does this taxable income make players employees. Then do the players get health insurance, retirement benefits, 401k, etc? Dartmouth already starting as they approved a union. Do contracts come into play, performance bonuses, etc. lots of changes still to come.

There has been some talk of a super conference (maybe 30 teams) that pays all of their athletes from the collective fund. These would include the Football Power Schools. Some articles out there on this subject.

At some point do low mid-major schools decide to not go the way of a broad based collective and stay only with the Name, Image Likeness for individual athletes to pursue? Smaller schools may opt out and refuse to pay players either because they don’t have the monetary resources and/or because they don’t want to get involved.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Off the top of my head:

Jim Harrick.
Tom Penders.
Danny Sprinkle.
Will Wade.
Ryan Odom.
Rick Pitino.
Tubby Smith. (twice)

And plenty more coaches have left before the expiration of their original contracts in under 3 years like Kyle Neptune and Digger Phelps at Fordham (1 year), Kim English at GM (2 years), Bobby Hurley at Buffalo (2 years), Andy Enfield at FGCU (2 years), Richard Pitino FIU (1 year), etc etc.

In the past you said the players have been getting paid all along but now it’s all above board. I think that was before these collectives were started by the largest schools and collectives have continued to spread. Don’t you think the players are now getting well above what they were getting under the table?

Some future changes will be making these payments to players taxable - its income - pay for play. Then does this taxable income make players employees. Then do the players get health insurance, retirement benefits, 401k, etc? Dartmouth already starting as they approved a union. Do contracts come into play, performance bonuses, etc. lots of changes still to come.

There has been some talk of a super conference (maybe 30 teams) that pays all of their athletes from the collective fund. These would include the Football Power Schools. Some articles out there on this subject.

At some point do low mid-major schools decide to not go the way of a broad based collective and stay only with the Name, Image Likeness for individual athletes to pursue? Smaller schools may opt out and refuse to pay players either because they don’t have the monetary resources and/or because they don’t want to get involved.
Yes, the best players have always been getting paid. Now they all are. The best players were getting paid illegally and at large programs it was always swept under the rug.

I mean...did you get health insurance, retirement benefits, 401k etc when you worked an hourly job in high school or college? Considering everyone can stay on their parents health insurance until 26 I'd say that's a non-issue as well.

Whether a "super conference" pools money to pay players (good idea) or not, it doesn't change the fact that URI can legally pay their players as well. And if the fan base is dedicated enough, you could afford to grab a top 100 player or two. It just comes down to the money.

This is the new way of the world. Just like when there was a vocal segment of our fanbase that wondered why we needed a practice facility, now it's NIL.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Off the top of my head:

Jim Harrick.
Tom Penders.
Danny Sprinkle.
Will Wade.
Ryan Odom.
Rick Pitino.
Tubby Smith. (twice)

Yes, the best players have always been getting paid. Now they all are. The best players were getting paid illegally and at large programs it was always swept under the rug.

I mean...did you get health insurance, retirement benefits, 401k etc when you worked an hourly job in high school or college? Considering everyone can stay on their parents health insurance until 26 I'd say that's a non-issue as well.

Whether a "super conference" pools money to pay players (good idea) or not, it doesn't change the fact that URI can legally pay their players as well. And if the fan base is dedicated enough, you could afford to grab a top 100 player or two. It just comes down to the money.

This is the new way of the world. Just like when there was a vocal segment of our fanbase that wondered why we needed a practice facility, now it's NIL.
Students get health coverage at college while they attend. They go to the infirmary and that is not on the parents health insurance.
Another future item (and probably current) is insurance if a player gets hurt. Some players are now sitting out football playoff games, basketball conference tournaments, NIT, because of fear of getting hurt and damaging future income streams (not many, but there are some instances). Short term disability and long term disability is likely to be incorporated into players agreements.......especially for the star players some of whom are very likely already getting this.

The idea of these payments being taxable income is not coming from me, there are many articles on this subject and is part of Charlie Baker request to Congress to help review the process. The previous President of the NCAA did nothing and here we are.

The fact that players were paid under the table before I'd agree with, I just don't think it was as prevalent as you might believe, not at the levels that we are hearing about today. Assuming this is correct, then this money should still be coming in and should not have to be subsidized by the fan base. Whichever boosters were paying EC Matthews, Jared Terrell, Lamar Odom, Sly Williams, etc I'd assume would still be doing that today in the transparent landscape, no?

Also, speaking now for the fan base........

The idea was that Coaches were cleaning up, breaking their contracts like they did not even exist, changing shells often after achieving success (Penders, Harrick, Hurley just to name a few here). The future schools would pay the buy out penalty.

The impact of media money is humongous and varies widely based on whether a school has football or does not, and the school size:

From High to Low and I'm providing my best guess off the top of my head here based on previous reading:

Football and Basketball Media Money from Contracts

P5 Conferences:
P5-Big 10 - $58.8M per year per team - and looking for more with addition of UCLA, USC, Oregon and Washington from Pac12
P5-SEC - $49.9M per year per team - and looking for more with addition of Oklahoma and Texas from Big12

P5-Big 12 - $42M to 44.9M per year per team - and looking for more. Lost Oklahoma and Texas but added Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU plus Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah

P5-ACC- $37.9 to 41.3M per year per team in an agreement that lasts til 2036 which is a big issue for some ACC Teams like Florida State, Clemson, UNC and others. ACC will be looking to improve their media agreement so as to avoid the pitfalls of the Pac12 Commissioner whose failure to land and close a Media agreement led to the Pac12 falling apart

P5-Pac12 - $37 per year per School. Only 2 Schools left. These 2 teams are playing Mountain West Football Teams in an agreement with MWC Commissioner Gloria Nevarez. Navarez is doing a tremendous job with the Mountain West Conference. She is innovative and aggressive, seeing the big picture and the future picture. Navarez acts as opposed to reacting to things happening around her. Very proactive. Possibility that the MWC Teams join the Pac12 OR the 2 Pac12 teams join the MWC and remain as a P5 Conference. Pac12 2 remaining schools are playing all other sports with the WCC - West Coast Conference

Group of 5 Conferences: - Guesses for these schools - but levels are considerably below all P5 schools
G5 MWC Mountain West - $7M per year per team
G5 AAC American - $7M per year per team
MAC Mid America - $4M per year per team
C-USA - $7M per year per team
Sun Belt - $7M per year per team

Big East - $4M per school
A10 - $1 per school but more if football is included

Point being that the largest schools have tremendous resources for money from media contracts. They can buy whatever level player they want - and do it legally now.
Last edited by ramster 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There are dozens of coaching changes each year vs thousands of kids abandoning schools. And tell the the last time you saw the same coach be a HC at three schools in 4 years? Being a college athlete is not a real career, it’s a temp job. Coaches are in this for 30+ years if they are lucky and need to look at the long term. I assume most of you have not worked at the same job your entire career and I also assume you don’t change every year.
Players have four years to maximize everything, so why wouldn't they jump around more?

Four years to maximize your playing time and exposure to maybe go pro or make the connections to get into coaching. Four years and after that you might never be involved with the game again.

Players have four years, coaches have 30 to 40 years. Even if a player transfered every year, which isn't actually happening at any real scale, it's no different than a coach leaving their job every seven to ten years. How many coaches stay that long in most places?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Students get health coverage at college while they attend. They do to the infirmary and that is not on the parents health insurance.
Another future item (and probably current) is insurance if a player gets hurt. Some players are now sitting out football playoff games, basketball conference tournaments, NIT, because of fear of getting hurt and damaging future income streams. Short term disability and long term disability is likely to be incorporated into players agreements.......especially for the star players some of whom are already getting this.

The idea of these payments being taxable income is not coming from me, there are many articles on this subject and is part of Charlie Baker request to Congress to help review the process. The previous President of the NCAA did nothing and here we are.

The fact that players were paid under the table before I'd agree with, I just don't think it was as prevalent as you might believe, not at the levels that we are hearing about today. Assuming this is correct, then this money should still be coming in and should not have to be subsidized by the fan base. Whichever boosters were paying EC Matthews, Jared Terrell, Lamar Odom, Sly Williams, etc I'd assume would still be doing that today in the transparent landscape, no?
Wrong. The vast majority of full time students are on their parents' health care. If they're not they're charged for health care. No student gets health for free from the University
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 month ago
Really? People are not allowed to complain that 763,802 kids are in the transfer portal with the intent to become immediately eligible? That's all good for them and good for the game? Yippee, I'm so happy for the 763,802 kids. That's great that they're listening to Uncle Willie telling them "you don't need to take that from your coach...shooting 21.3%...you deserve more 15 minutes of playing time! You're big time!"
No, you're not. If coaches can do it then so should the kids. They take bad advice from their families/friends and try and move up only to ride the pine and be sad? Well that's on them and I won't shed a tear for them.

Good for the game is based entirely on your vantage point. Of course we're not happy because we don't have a massive collective where we can retain the services of good players. I bet schools in the P5 with larger alumni bases and larger NIL collectives see things differently.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Players have four years to maximize everything, so why wouldn't they jump around more?

Four years to maximize your playing time and exposure to maybe go pro or make the connections to get into coaching. Four years and after that you might never be involved with the game again.

Players have four years, coaches have 30 to 40 years. Even if a player transfered every year, which isn't actually happening at any real scale, it's no different than a coach leaving their job every seven to ten years. How many coaches stay that long in most places?
Also, there are only 360ish D1 coaches but over 4,000 D1 basketball players. You can't compare raw numbers either.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

I agree with your first sentence.

However Danny Sprinkle is about to be at his third school in three years.

Last year - Montana St
This year - Utah St
Next year - looking like Vandy, Washington
I mean, years ago Chris Beard was the HC of 3 schools in a single month.

Coached Little Rock to an upset over Purdue then took the UNLV job. Texas Tech then opened and he bounced on UNLV off to Lubbock.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I don't change every year because I found a place I am happy to be at that compensates me fairly. Before this, I changed jobs every couple years.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

Also, there are only 360ish D1 coaches but over 4,000 D1 basketball players. You can't compare raw numbers either.
Exactly why there should be no sit out penalty. Let the kids transfer whenever they want. Ands it needs to be the same rules in all sports. Not all sports at the college level required the sit out penalty. Football, Basketball and I believe Baseball all had the sit out penalty while Tennis, Golf, etc did not. This inconsistency was used by lawyers in favor of the players vs the NCAA

No salary/earnings limits, no transfer limits. Taxes will be coming though. Janet Yellen is not going to let that earned income go unrecognized forever. So schools (or fans, or both) will have to pony up the payouts to cover the taxes as well in the long run.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good point regarding the 4yrs, 02. I brought up the same thing in a post several weeks ago.

Having only a 4 year playing time window increases their (the college players) sense of urgency dramatically with the growing pot of NIL money at stake. Add in the cultural aspect of immediate gratification and you get a whole lot of movement.

It’s a new era compared to when players rarely transferred or went hardship to make the big dollars.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

No, you're not. If coaches can do it then so should the kids. They take bad advice from their families/friends and try and move up only to ride the pine and be sad? Well that's on them and I won't shed a tear for them.

Good for the game is based entirely on your vantage point. Of course we're not happy because we don't have a massive collective where we can retain the services of good players. I bet schools in the P5 with larger alumni bases and larger NIL collectives see things differently.
Gosh, Kyle. I'm so sorry I didn't get your permission to be displeased with the excess amount of transfers. I didn't realize that coaches (a 42-year old guy, married with a family who's been working to support his family for 15-20 years) and college kids (18-20 years old, sole focus is video games, girls, hoops and school in no particular order) are in the same stage in life.

If you think that you're as a wise as an adult as you were when you were 18-20 years old, then you either weren't very wise then or aren't very wise now.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the point that is being missed here is that there is a difference between thinking that transferring all the time may not be a good/smart idea for certain players and thinking that they should not be allowed to do it. I'll agree that there may be times when transferring may not be in a players best interest and they may be getting bad advice, but I still think they should be allowed to do it without penalty if they want. Just like any other student. There are also examples of it working out and being a great decision.

I still have just yet to hear a compelling argument for why transferring without penalty should not be allowed, even if I don't like or always agree with the players decision.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago

Excellent payday for Byington, most likely, but not a great job historically. I will be interested in following his progress there.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Excellent payday for Byington, most likely, but not a great job historically. I will be interested in following his progress there.
Coaches have humongous egos. They all believe they'll succeed where everyone else has failed. Some just need more money than others to take those jobs. Undead Little Ricky would take the RIC job if it paid enough.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I came here to post that - I fond it odd until I remembered that WSU (and OSU) were left out of the mix with the pac 12 breakup. They have a short term deal with the WCC (and MWC for football) so let's see what happens. Cal and Stanford (with SMU) are going to the ACC
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SMU fired Rob Lanier thinking they needed a better HC as they move up to P5

Lanier then landed at Rice
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Gosh, Kyle. I'm so sorry I didn't get your permission to be displeased with the excess amount of transfers. I didn't realize that coaches (a 42-year old guy, married with a family who's been working to support his family for 15-20 years) and college kids (18-20 years old, sole focus is video games, girls, hoops and school in no particular order) are in the same stage in life.

If you think that you're as a wise as an adult as you were when you were 18-20 years old, then you either weren't very wise then or aren't very wise now.
Nope. I made bad decisions when I was a student. I was allowed to make those decisions and learn from them. It's better than treating them like toddlers by saying you won't let them do something because you know better than them.

You should read Adam's ladt post a few times. He's right.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Money is the root of all problems
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Imo no chance Dan coaches NBA.

He has the perfect situation at UConn and makes plenty of money now. He could make more at say Kentucky, but where he is now is close to home and Andrea can still go to the beach lol.
I wouldn’t count out him going to the NBA not now but maybe in 5-10 years

Also he should be the highest paid coach what he’s making now is a steal , Cooley makes more

DH should be getting 10-13 M per year
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Another one for the "3 schools in 4 years" crowd. Also on the 4 schools in 7 years team.

HOW DARE HE!? WHERES THE LOYALTY!? rabblerabblerabble
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is a contract issue.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Another one for the "3 schools in 4 years" crowd. Also on the 4 schools in 7 years team.

I mean, you can’t count Lanier.

He was fired, wasn’t his choice to leave SMU.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Imo no chance Dan coaches NBA.

I wouldn’t count out him going to the NBA not now but maybe in 5-10 years

Also he should be the highest paid coach what he’s making now is a steal , Cooley makes more

DH should be getting 10-13 M per year
15 years ago Dan was a high school teacher and coach making $90k, pretty content.

For those that still don't understand Dan - his motivation was/is never money. It's to be the best at what he does. He wanted to go to a place where there was the least amount of internal friction to get him to be his absolute best. He was chasing the shadow of his brother as a player and his dad as a coach. He's been very open about that. Last year he exorcized all of those demons.

UConn has given him all of that. I am sure his career goals now are to make history at UConn...a place where making history is very hard to do. He's spoken about that openly all year this year. IF he is able to pull off back to back titles, you don't think he's going to chase trying to become a dynasty? Or try to just beat out Calhoun's total? If he does that he'll set sights on Coach K, etc.

The money part is secondary and he lets his agent handle all of that. He's completely disconnected from that end of it. He literally doesn't want to be involved.

He also has an ego. And he should. That's why he's put himself on the mount rushmore of active college coaches, and will stop at nothing to be on that mount rushmore of all time greats. Coaching and molding kids is his calling. Ff you think he's going to come into a situation where he has to answer to James Dolan and then beg and plead with superstar multimillionaires to play defense or not take a rest day...then you don't get the guy.

And contract-wise, UConn would easily pay him more than what Thibs is making as the Knicks coach. I think it's like $7-8M. I'd love to hear him go full Calhoun and get a "not a dime back" quote in the paper.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

I mean, you can’t count Lanier.

He was fired, wasn’t his choice to leave SMU.
He left Georgia State after 3 years to hop to the next job anyway...whether it's 3 in 5 years from before, or 3 in 4 years like now, he's certainly not the "loyal" type.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Excellent payday for Byington, most likely, but not a great job historically. I will be interested in following his progress there.
Coaches have humongous egos. They all believe they'll succeed where everyone else has failed. Some just need more money than others to take those jobs. Undead Little Ricky would take the RIC job if it paid enough.
You read my mind, Red.
0 x