2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago One of UConn assistants will get a head job and Bobby will rejoin Dan.
Are we sure Bobby is getting fired? I realize it could come at any moment, but their last game was 5 days ago and nothing has happened. Usually teams are quick to shit-can someone right as the season ends.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is KJ really deserving of a promotion right now?
1 x
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

What about Delroy James? Could he be speaking with Arch? He sat behind the bench at our game at the A10s? Coaching a High School team in Brooklyn.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago What about Delroy James? Could he be speaking with Arch? He sat behind the bench at our game at the A10s? Coaching a High School team in Brooklyn.
Love Delroy, but don’t it’s smart to replace on of the top assistants around with a former player with zero college coaching and recruiting experience.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know when Archie was hired, the salary pool for assistants was about $750,000. Anyone know if that’s still the number or if it’s increased?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I believe this is KJ they're referring to here. He coached at Team Takeover.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 month ago

I believe this is KJ they're referring to here. He coached at Team Takeover.
Yes, when Ivan Thomas took the Hampton HC position, I felt that KJ will probably be targeted and hinted that to some friends.
Again, don't know for sure, but it makes sense.

If this happens Archie will need to react very quickly for very obvious reasons.
He needs to put together a competitive roster.

If we end up losing our only 2 recruits that will be a back breaker.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago What about Delroy James? Could he be speaking with Arch? He sat behind the bench at our game at the A10s? Coaching a High School team in Brooklyn.
Love Delroy, but don’t it’s smart to replace on of the top assistants around with a former player with zero college coaching and recruiting experience.
We need teachers of basketball, techniques, skill development, etc. Disciples of packline even better. If a former player has that on a resume, fine.
Last edited by section(105) 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
We need teachers of basketball, techniques, skill development, etc. Disciples of packline even better. If a former layer has that on a resume, fine.
Yes, that is all well and fine but most important we need a top recruiter with strong connections.
I guess good luck with that.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We need teachers of basketball, techniques, skill development, etc. Disciples of packline even better. If a former layer has that on a resume, fine.
We need a recruiter first and foremost.

Delroy isn’t going to from zero college experience to an assistant.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 1 month ago I know when Archie was hired, the salary pool for assistants was about $750,000. Anyone know if that’s still the number or if it’s increased?
http://www.transparency.ri.gov/payroll/
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Kenny Johnson - $205,000.12
Austin Carroll - $123,000.02
Ben Sander - $117,874.90
Duane Woodward - $205,000.12
Chandler Graves - $59,999.94
Paul Woelmer - $70,000.06
Shawn Pacifico - $58,880.90
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Even if Delroy had experience, his connections would be mostly in NY. We already have that covered with Duane in regards to recruiting.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ace wrote: 1 month ago I know when Archie was hired, the salary pool for assistants was about $750,000. Anyone know if that’s still the number or if it’s increased?
I do know that KJ is at 200k and Austin Carrol is at 136k
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Still a huge gap in what we pay vs. major contenders:

Basketball assistant Preston Murphy is set to make $450,000 a year under a two-year deal. Fellow assistant Ryan Pannone's two-year deal is worth $360,000 per.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Siena has parted ways with Carmen Maciarello. Saints just finished 4-28 with an NET rank of #353 for 2023-24. Even with such a horrible season, they still managed to draw an average of 5,189 to fourteen home games.

Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Siena has parted ways with Carmen Maciarello. Saints just finished 4-28 with an NET rank of #353 for 2023-24. Even with such a horrible season, they still manged to draw an average of 5,189 to fourteen home games.

I worked with a number of Siena grads (including key boosters). They enjoy talking college hoops. They are a very loyal and active fan base. The Albany area is a pretty good recruiting area for talent, as well.

Getting to know them and their program over several years, I thought they could be a good addition to the A10 or - better yet - an 11-12 school split off conference of the A10 with a round robin schedule.

I wouldn’t add them now. We have too many teams as is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Siena has parted ways with Carmen Maciarello. Saints just finished 4-28 with an NET rank of #353 for 2023-24. Even with such a horrible season, they still manged to draw an average of 5,189 to fourteen home games.

I worked with a number of Siena grads (including key boosters). They enjoy talking college hoops. They are a very loyal and active fan base. The Albany area is a pretty good recruiting area for talent, as well.

Getting to know them and their program over several years, I thought they could be a good addition to the A10 or - better yet - an 11-12 school split off conference of the A10 with a round robin schedule.

Wow , loyal fans to avg over 5000 fans in a 4-28 season !

Good luck to Carmen in the future
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago

Wow , loyal fans to avg over 5000 fans in a 4-28 season !

Good luck to Carmen in the future
Impressive attendance figures...although, I wonder if their board was muttering about "3,000 in seats"? (Am guessing probably so)
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As the great coach Jim Harrick once said about the role of his assistant basketball coaches: "recruit recruit and recruit".
In today's world this is even more important to a teams success.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Can’t be much to do around Siena lol.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They have always drawn well. If there was going to be expansion I always preferred them over the small southern schools that sometimes get thrown around.

To give you context on how serious they are about hoops he finished 1st, 1st, 3rd and 3rd prior to this being his first bad season. And they canned him.

I would hire him in a second if he wanted to stay in the game as an assistant. Jordan King and Jalen Pickett amongst the high end talent he identified and recruited to Siena.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He also got former target Sean Durugordon there this season, averaged 18 and 7.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Siena has always drawn a good crowd. It helps that they play at the MVP arena in downtown Albany within walking distance of a lot of people along with public transportation that busses people in from all over the Capital District. Also helps that Siena, UAlbany basketball along with Union, RPI hockey are really the only athletic events going on in the area during the winter. Semi pro hockey is gone(unless you go an hr north to Glens Falls) Albany Patroons(semi pro basketball) is just underway.
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Three leading candidates for Siena head coaching position. Gerry McNamara(former Syracuse associate coach) Will Brown(former UAlbany head coach) Matt Brady(Depaul interim coach, played for Siena in the 80’s)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 1 month ago As the great coach Jim Harrick once said about the role of his assistant basketball coaches: "recruit recruit and recruit".
In today's world this is even more important to a teams success.
you mean "recruit from the portal", right?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
Good stuff.

Stuff it, Kentucky!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If I was Kentucky and I am canning coach Cal, my one and only call would be to DH.

I’d give him the keys to the kingdom.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good stuff.

Stuff it, Kentucky!
"Calipari buyout = (insert absurd figure here)" is the beginning and end of the Calipari hot seat talk for what...5 or 6 years now...and several more to come? He's going nowhere and when he does..."down goes Kentucky"
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Good stuff.

Stuff it, Kentucky!
"Calipari buyout = (insert absurd figure here)" is the beginning and end of the Calipari hot seat talk for what...5 or 6 years now...and several more to come? He's going nowhere and when he does..."down goes Kentucky"
That’s a lot of scratch. I wonder who the genius was at Kentucky that agreed to that amount ?

Maybe Kentucky fans will start a go fund me to fire Cal’s ass. That would be both tremendous and hilarious.

:lol:

The Kentucky Fan Board has to be absolutely on fire right now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Holy moly 33 milly !
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI_05 wrote: 1 month ago Still a huge gap in what we pay vs. major contenders:

Basketball assistant Preston Murphy is set to make $450,000 a year under a two-year deal. Fellow assistant Ryan Pannone's two-year deal is worth $360,000 per.
Yeah exactly - Kenny was making $750k a year at Louisville. Kimani Young was making that 2 years ago at UConn, assuming he's clearing more now. David Cox is making $400k at Maryland.

There's a massive gulf between us and the others. The $750k for Archie's staff may be unprecedented for URI, but like everything, that means squat across the sport.

Hurley listed the $400k he was given for staff as one of his biggest headaches - losing good staff and having to get new guys year after year. Preston. ARD. Luke Murray. Rhody would need to continue to add more if you want to attract someone like Kenny.

That said - I think it's clear the NIL matters more than the recruiting contacts these days. Kenny's been here and we've still been grabbing value guys - guys with high risk/high reward and what we could afford. It doesn't matter who you know if you can't pay the guys what they can get in the open market. Stone Freeman and his efforts over the next few months will be significantly more important than whether it's KJ or someone else in that assistants chair.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago If I was Kentucky and I am canning coach Cal, my one and only call would be to DH.

I’d give him the keys to the kingdom.
Somehow I cannot picture Jersey Dan in Kentucky
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah no chance Dan is going to Kentucky. It’s UConn for life unless the Knicks come calling. That’s my prediction at least.
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

There’s heavy rumors going around of Muss taking the SMU job. SMU will be joining the ACC next year, and they do have significant money.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 month ago There’s heavy rumors going around of Muss taking the SMU job. SMU will be joining the ACC next year, and they do have significant money.
Wow that’s interesting!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah no chance Dan is going to Kentucky. It’s UConn for life unless the Knicks come calling. That’s my prediction at least.
My guess would be he has zero interest in coaching the pro game.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah no chance Dan is going to Kentucky. It’s UConn for life unless the Knicks come calling. That’s my prediction at least.
News flash: He already is....
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

At least in the NBA you have real GM's and contracts, plus a draft.

Probably better than dealing with the portal.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
At least in the NBA you have real GM's and contracts, plus a draft.

Probably better than dealing with the portal.
And salary caps
And trades and trade deadlines. Get a player in return vs just completely losing a player

College basketball is free agency, pay for play and no limits for individual player earnings or for what a team can pay out. Unlikely to change. But still balance of talent doesn’t seem to be an issue for many programs. The losing teams seem to blame the system. The winning programs find a way.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don’t think Kentucky can afford to payout Calipari and then pay another high profile coach.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NHRamFan wrote: 1 month ago
Yea, I guess. The semi-pro league(D1 colleges)still could be considered a coaches league where the NBA is a players league?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Kentucky Message Board is a post compiling a number of videos regarding Calipari and the state of Kentucky basketball

The Odd Couple video with Chris Broussard and Rob Parker is excellent.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... ss.410003/
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 month ago From Kentucky Message Board is a post compiling a number of videos regarding Calipari and the state of Kentucky basketball

The Odd Couple video with Chris Broussard and Rob Parker is excellent.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... ss.410003/
Seems as though Kentucky has a CFL on their hands.

Thats a shame.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 1 month ago

Yea, I guess. The semi-pro league(D1 colleges)still could be considered a coaches league where the NBA is a players league?
Is the tipping point/difference when the players make more than the coach?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH said in an interview years ago he would like to eventually coach in the NBA , it can happen down the road
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I just finished a visit to the Georgetown basketball board out of curiosity. The past 3-4 days have been quiet regarding KJ.

Any intel on our end floating around ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I just finished a visit to the Georgetown basketball board out of curiosity. The past 3-4 days have been quiet regarding KJ.

Any intel on our end floating around ?
What’s their consensus on Coach Cooley ? Do they like him long term and just giving him a pass on his first year ?
0 x