1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Mason University
EagleBank Arena, Fairfax, VA
Saturday, January 27, 2024
4:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
George Mason’s Fan Forum

Here we go again…back to our losing ways. After starting 3-0 in conference play, the Rams pulled a complete 180 & now have dropped 3 in a row. The tough part about this last loss to Fordham was that it was at home & they were missing their best player. The Rams of Fordham also shot like utter garbage from the free throw line, going 9 for 25, yet the hometown Rams couldn’t capitalize. Things don’t get any easier as the Rams now must travel to NoVA to take on the George Mason Patriots.

Even with the departure of coach Kim English to Providence, who took his two best players with him in Josh Oduro & Ticket Gaines, the Patriots reloaded by hiring Tony Skinn. You could say he has some Skinn in the game as he was a former standout guard on the Mason team that went to the Final Four during that Cinderella run in 2006. The Patriots, who were picked 10th in the A10 preseason, went 12-2 in the nonconference but are only 3-3 in conference play. They have losses on the road to Richmond as well GW & a home loss to VCU. No bad losses there & they did win at home against St Bonaventure last week. The Patriots come into this game well rested as they did not have a midweek game this week.

George Mason starts a four-guard lineup with UNLV transfer Keyshawn Hall playing the 4. He is leading in points with 16.5 per game & rebounds with 9.2, which is roughly in the top 40 in the nation. Coach Skinn brought in two new players this season & both are averaging 12 points per game with guard Darius Maddox (12.9) & starting big man Amari Kelly (12.3). Maddox is a transfer from Virginia Tech & the team’s best three-point shooter & an excellent free throw shooter at 92%. He has scored in double figures in 14 of the last 15 games. Kelly is a UNC Wilmington transfer who is second on the team in rebounding at 6.3 per game & has 4 double-doubles this season. Running the point for GM is Ronald Polite III. Speaking of the III, he was picked for the A10 preseason 3rd team. His scoring & assist number are down this year, but so are his turnover numbers. He is also an excellent free throw shooter, at almost 92%. The Patriots are an excellent free throw shooting team, shooting it 12+% better than the Rams, so don’t expect a repeat of poor free throw shooting like the last game against Fordham.

As for the Rams, they really need a bounce back game and bring some friggin’ defensive intensity. Is their confidence shot after the blowout road losses & then losing a very winnable game at home? Another thing needed is for Green to stay on the court & not be in foul trouble. In 7 of his 9 games, he has finished with 4 fouls. He was only able to play 11 minutes against Davison & 15 against Fordham due to his foul trouble. And now that there is tape on him, he has struggled a bit to get going offensively. I haven’t seen any updates about Zek’s status for this weekend’s game since he missed the last game due to a back injury.

The Rams are striving to get their second conference road win of the season, which hasn’t happened since 2021. Yikes, that is a depressing statistic. The Rams have lost 3 of the last 5 times they have played George Mason. There should be a boisterous crowd at EagleBank Arena as it is George Mason’s homecoming. The Rams will probably be about 7-point underdogs this weekend & I don’t see how they will have enough to get the win Saturday afternoon. My prediction, George Mason 74 – URI 66. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
14-5, 3-3 in the A10
20-13, 11-7 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 82 (205)
RPI: 47 (153)
KenPom: 99 (201)
BPI: 112 (224)
Barttovik: 100 (187)

Leaders:
Points – Keyshawn Hall 16.5 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Keyshawn Hall 9.2 (Soph., F)
Assists – Ronald Polite III 3.1 (Sr., G) (1.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-6
H: 4-4, A: 3-2, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 2/11/23 75-67 L at George Mason
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – George Mason
Match-up Predictor: 13.9% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/27 | George Mason | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, always look forward to your write-up.

This game will be a huge challenge for us, and I think the home crowd in Fairfax will be fired up.
Aside from that, they are just better than us at this time.
Hall is a stud at forward, one of the best in the conference, and the rest of their line-up isn't too shabby either.

This will be a tough match-up for us at every position and they can make their foul shots.

I am not feeling great about our chances, but the better team doesn't always win.
After our last 3 losses (ouch), a win here on the road will go a long way in helping to build our confidence.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This definitely has high 20 point blowout loss potential if they get hot early like the bonnies
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The latest streak is likely to grow to four games.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this is how i feel

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maddox is a former David Cox recruit, I believe.
Same with Buchanan now at George Washington.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You have to give GMU some credit for the season thus far. They lost their coach and a few of their best players from last year. They however are presently 14-5 with an NET of #82.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Maddox is a former David Cox recruit, I believe.
Same with Buchanan now at George Washington.
I believe Archie was recruiting Buchanan this past offseason as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago You have to give GMU some credit for the season thus far. They lost their coach and a few of their best players from last year. They however are presently 14-5 with an NET of #82.
I give Skinn a ton of credit.
He convinced Polite to stay after he originally entered the portal.
Okojie was a nice recruit and having a solid freshman season.

Maddox, Hall, and Kelly all excellent portal transfers.

Plus, maybe their top big, multi-transfer Jalen Haynes (junior) recently eligible, is redshirting.

Skinn also a fan favorite because he starred at GM, hired Steve Curran as associate HC, who happened to be Schmidt's top assistant with the Bonnies, and chief architect of their past teams.
He was a huge addition to the staff.
Skinn was also an assistant at 3 different P6 programs: Maryland, Ohio State, and Seton Hall.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
RF1 wrote: 3 months ago You have to give GMU some credit for the season thus far. They lost their coach and a few of their best players from last year. They however are presently 14-5 with an NET of #82.
I give Skinn a ton of credit.
He convinced Polite to stay after he originally entered the portal.
Okojie was a nice recruit and having a solid freshman season.

Maddox, Hall, and Kelly all excellent portal transfers.

Plus, maybe their top big, multi-transfer Jalen Haynes (junior) recently eligible, is redshirting.

Skinn also a fan favorite because he starred at GM, hired Steve Curran as associate HC, who happened to be Schmidt's top assistant with the Bonnies, and chief architect of their past teams.
He was a huge addition to the staff.
Skinn was also an assistant at 3 different P6 programs: Maryland, Ohio State, and Seton Hall.
I watched GMU get mauled by St Louis in the A10 Tourney last March 82-54. I liked Kim English as a hire for GMU when they got him, but was very disappointed at how bad they played that last game. Thought PC could have done better than to hire Kim English, still think they should have gone for Pitino instead. Josh Oduro looked ok but pushed around a lot by SLU's Francis Okoro. Justyn Fernandez was very unimpressive and not surprised he is not playing at PC this year, just not ready. Oduro, Fernandez and Gaines transferred to PC with English but from a team that gut punished 82-54 in their biggest game of the season. Polite looked good and played the most minutes of any GMU player.

Skinn showed how important Portapalooza is and how important it is to get the best possible transfers in talent, experience and attitude.
Starters:
Skinn kept starter Polite III - Senior
Keyshawn Hall - Sophomore - Transferred in this year after 1 year at UNLV
Amari Kelly - 5th year. Transferred in this year after 2 years at Duquesne and then 2 years at UNC Wilmington
Darious Maddox - Senior - Transferred in this year after 3 years at Virginia Tech
Jared Billups - Junior. Transferred in this year after 2 years at Sienna

Top 2 Substitutes each with 1 start this season:
Baraka Okojie - Freshman from Canada
Woody Newton - Senior - Transferred in this year after 1 year at Syracuse and then 2 years at Oklahoma State

Skinn hit the ground running with Transfers with considerable amounts of D1 experience. Solid start, transfers playing well immediately.

GMU is #1 in A10 FT% at 79%
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like Zek is practicing today, so hopefully its not an extended absence for him (and he can get back on track).

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This will be George Mason's Homecoming Game so they will have a bigger than normal crowd (YTD avg 3,451). The school has no football program so this is their big alumni week event. They will even have some sort of tailgating in the arena lots.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Our team is broken.

Bad guys win big.
0 x
:lol:
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Doesn’t this prove that it does not have to take 3 or 4 years for a “rebuild”.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago

It actually proves it only takes one year.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

And heavily depends upon the quality of the incoming transfers
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It means they can be competitive but not sure I would consider them contenders yet and certainly not an at-large team.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It means they can be competitive but not sure I would consider them contenders yet and certainly not an at-large team.
Huh? It means they don't have a NET in the 200's in the first year of a new head coach. Never mind the second year.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Huh? It means they don't have a NET in the 200's in the first year of a new head coach. Never mind the second year.
Complete agree here.

GM another example that you don’t really have to give or expect a 3-4 year rebuild.

It can happen overnight and I gave plenty of examples in another thread.

GM lost their coach, Oduro, Gaines and Fernandez.

All who would be All A10 caliber this year.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Didn't realize this was a Skinn vs. Archie comparison.
Of course you can get better in a year, no argument there, but is that the final goal?

Archie's approach was different, let's wait and see who gets to the finish line first.
But no doubt I think Skinn has done a good job so far.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The system is broken and it’s now year to year and you cannot count on keeping your core/foundation together. Archie built this with a bunch of transfers thinking he had at least 2 seasons with most, as they would not want to transfer and sit out, good idea until it wasn’t and the courts got involved. We have Green now, but I see it as bad for the future as well as most of what’s transpired the last few years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago The system is broken and it’s now year to year and you cannot count on keeping your core/foundation together. Archie built this with a bunch of transfers thinking he had at least 2 seasons with most, as they would not want to transfer and sit out, good idea until it wasn’t and the courts got involved. We have Green now, but I see it as bad for the future as well as most of what’s transpired the last few years.
As a mid-major you need to keep some core players from one year to the next if you plan on contending for an at-large.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago The system is broken and it’s now year to year and you cannot count on keeping your core/foundation together. Archie built this with a bunch of transfers thinking he had at least 2 seasons with most, as they would not want to transfer and sit out, good idea until it wasn’t and the courts got involved. We have Green now, but I see it as bad for the future as well as most of what’s transpired the last few years.
As a mid-major you need to keep some core players from one year to the next if you plan on contending for an at-large.
Ahhh, yes, that’s why this all sucks! Chicken or egg, you need to be good to get good players to come and stay, but how do you do that if your style takes 2 or more years for players to click and team to be good?
Last edited by RIFan 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Since the new rule, how many "core" players has Rhody kept? I'm guessing none.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago
Ahhh, yes, that’s why this all sucks!
Unfortunately It doesn't make it easy for schools like us.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am hoping that changes for next season, otherwise it won't be pretty.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For those who say scholarships aren’t paying the players enough, I bet all those kids who put their name in the portal and didn’t end up somewhere wouldn’t agree. Now they have to pay to finish their degree, if they even do. This system supposedly took advantage of kids, so now no more rules and we are expecting kids to make good decisions? Hahahaha
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago For those who say scholarships aren’t paying the players enough, I bet all those kids who put their name in the portal and didn’t end up somewhere wouldn’t agree. Now they have to pay to finish their degree, if they even do. This system supposedly took advantage of kids, so now no more rules and we are expecting kids to make good decisions? Hahahaha
The NCAA blew it, they are all professionals now.

No such thing as NIL that is a joke, it is all pay-to-play.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 3 months ago For those who say scholarships aren’t paying the players enough, I bet all those kids who put their name in the portal and didn’t end up somewhere wouldn’t agree. Now they have to pay to finish their degree, if they even do. This system supposedly took advantage of kids, so now no more rules and we are expecting kids to make good decisions? Hahahaha
The cost to attend URI out of state living on campus is almost a quarter MILLION dollars.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Tell me about the cost, I currently have 2 kids in college. Scholarships have real value. High value that lasts a lifetime once you have a degree, especially for free and you don’t start out with any debt.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How many "core" players would we really have wanted to keep though? Maybe one in Ish? The vast majority of the guys that left went to worse programs and weren't very good anyway.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Who are the “core” players? House, Fou, Fuchs, Cam, Green?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Who are the “core” players? House, Fou, Fuchs, Cam, Green?
To me I think it would be Cam, Foumena and Fuchs because they are freshman. Maybe throw Weston in there to. House and Green are important players for sure and it would hurt if they transferred, but as juniors they'll be gone after next year anyway (assuming no extra eligibility all that).
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Who are the “core” players? House, Fou, Fuchs, Cam, Green?
If Archie is trying to build this in a traditional sense( not sure how that works) I would say Cam, Foumena and Fuchs are core. We add two good freshmen next year. If he can keep the recruits here, and get more highly ranked recruits coming, he may have something. If they go portalling, all bets are off.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

completely agree

ruined college sports

that haves and the have nots

if they wanted to compensate players then they should have come up with something that was even

split all the profits evenly amongst all scholarship players in college hoops

then do the same based on college football, rinse repeat for other sports

this is jsut somehting i came up with just now.. so i am sure someone will shred this to pieces

point being.. they ruined the sport - if we lose our best players again i will begin to wonder "why bother"

half the fun is wathcing your own guys for 4 years and see them grow up

look at EC and hassan... etc....

those days are long gone
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It does prove it (one of many cases), but we don't say that around here. We only say, "it takes three or four years for a rebuild", even though the model has so radically changed, and so recently, that no one even really knows if it's true or not. It's what we say.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

can you truly rebuild if you lose players ?

ruined the sport
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

but a long ways ahead of Rhody...?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You definitely used to need to do that. Whether you still do or not...I don't think anyone really knows for sure.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

Archie didn't say it will be a quick fix.
"We will be good when we are good"

Not denying that GM is better than we are right now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Why? Why are they better?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You definitely used to need to do that. Whether you still do or not...I don't think anyone really knows for sure.
Very doubtful though, you would still need to retain some core pieces.

For mid-majors a total rebuild every season isn't a recipe for success, even today.
Let's face it the top portal players aren't coming here, and neither are the blue-chip recruits.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Why? Why are they better?
I think they currently have a better roster, next season who knows?
That may even change by the end of this season, depending on how our team improves.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

For mid-majors a total rebuild every season isn't a recipe for success, even today.
Let's face it the top portal players aren't coming here, and neither are the blue-chip recruits.
You could be right, but there hasn't been enough time to prove that's the case. All speculation at this point.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With that said, mid major success maybe will demonstrated by coaches that can adapt to the mix of players skills, both offense and defense kinda on the fly and locked into their adopted systems that need. Time to teach and develop?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago

With that said, mid major success maybe will demonstrated by coaches that can adapt to the mix of players skills, both offense and defense kinda on the fly and locked into their adopted systems that need. Time to teach and develop?
Well yeah, ultimately it boils down to the staff and their ability to get the most out of the players.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago

Well yeah, ultimately it boils down to the staff and their ability to get the most out of the players.
Or which Coach recruits the most talented players. There is a difference in the level of talent in the Transfers for each A10 Team.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago

completely agree

ruined college sports

that haves and the have nots

if they wanted to compensate players then they should have come up with something that was even

split all the profits evenly amongst all scholarship players in college hoops

then do the same based on college football, rinse repeat for other sports

this is jsut somehting i came up with just now.. so i am sure someone will shred this to pieces

point being.. they ruined the sport - if we lose our best players again i will begin to wonder "why bother"

half the fun is wathcing your own guys for 4 years and see them grow up

look at EC and hassan... etc....

those days are long gone
ECR, don’t feel so bad. At least us older fans were able to see some thrilling basketball over the years, watched great Rhody players and experienced NCAAT runs.

Imagine being a younger fan ? I feel bad for them as I am sure you do and other old timers here do, as well.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The cost to attend URI out of state living on campus is almost a quarter MILLION dollars.
That is INSANE.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
That is INSANEFLATION
0 x