Ex-coaches returning for a game...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Ex-coaches returning for a game...

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So Archie just played at UD Arena...and was shown some love.
I don't think Penders ever brought Texas to play at Keaney.
Certainly Harrick never brought Georgia.
Did Al ever bring BC?
I don't think that Dan will ever bring UConn...but if he did I doubt he would get booed.
I'm bitter, but I certainly don't begrudge him and I wouldn't call him an asshole.

All that being said, the situation at the Civic Center will likely be very different on Saturday.
And it seems strange to me.
One of the greatest coaches in PC history is returning.
12 years, 7 tournaments, a Big East title, a Sweet Sixteen, numerous wins over top 25 teams, many talented players with relatively few scandals.
And a 9-2 record against one of his in-state OOC opponents (not rivals btw...just another opponent).
Then he left for twice the money, if not more.
You would think he would be appreciated. If Kim English does all that, he might deserve a statue.

Are the faithful planning to similarly ostracize Pitino when he comes back next month? His mores haven't always been above reproach, after all...

Pete Gillen is the only other coach since Rick to win an NCAA game there, but he never won another.
And I doubt he would have gotten a huge reaction if he ever came back to the Civic Center with Virginia.

Anyway, has it ever happened in Kingston? (EDIT: In 2005 Al brought BC to town and won.)
What are your thoughts about Cooley's return?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ex-coaches returning for a game...

Unread post by section(105) »

Thoughts about Copley’s return?………let me think, got it, none
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago So Archie just played at UD Arena...and was shown some love.
Did Al ever bring BC?
I don't think that Dan will ever bring UConn...but if he did I doubt he would get booed.
I'm bitter, but I certainly don't begrudge him and I wouldn't call him an asshole.

All that being said, the situation at the Civic Center will likely be very different on Saturday.
12 years, 7 tournaments, a Big East title, a Sweet Sixteen, numerous wins over top 25 teams, many talented players with relatively few scandals.
And a 9-2 record against one of his in-state OOC opponents (not rivals btw...just another opponent).
You would think he would be appreciated. If Kim English does all that, he might deserve a statue.

Are the faithful planning to similarly ostracize Pitino when he comes back next month? His mores haven't always been above reproach, after all...

Pete Gillen is the only other coach since Rick to win an NCAA game there, but he never won another.
And I doubt he would have gotten a huge reaction if he ever came back to the Civic Center with Virginia.

Anyway, has it ever happened in Kingston? (EDIT: In 2005 Al brought BC to town and won.)
If URI had a team worthy, I think Dan would give us a game. But he's not coming to Kingston to play a NET 200+ team. That's for sure.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Penders brought his Texas team to RI to play URI. The game was however at the PCC. I think his GW team played at Keaney and his Houston team may have played at the Ryan Center.

I believe that Al Skinner's BC team came to the Ryan Center twice in exchange for four games at Conte Forum.

Former head coaches Harrick, Baron, and Hurley who all went on to other D1 college head jobs as of now never played URI after leaving Kingston. It is worth noting Harrick and Baron only coached another four seasons after URI.

Five of our former head coaches in last five decades as of now never were D1 college head coaches again - Kraft, English, Malone, DeGregorio, and Cox.
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 5 times in total.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

How was Baron's reception when the Rams first went to Olean? To an extent it was a similar situation, leaving his home state (and alma mater!) to go coach a different school in the same conference.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Bos8 wrote: 3 months ago How was Baron's reception when the Rams first went to Olean? To an extent it was a similar situation, leaving his home state (and alma mater!) to go coach a different school in the same conference.
Big difference, we all couldn’t wait for Baron to get out. He’ll, I offered to help him pack.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

CaptainRon wrote: 3 months ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 months ago How was Baron's reception when the Rams first went to Olean? To an extent it was a similar situation, leaving his home state (and alma mater!) to go coach a different school in the same conference.
Big difference, we all couldn’t wait for Baron to get out. He’ll, I offered to help him pack.
I was talking back in 2002 or whenever the Rams first traveled to St. Bonaventure after he left. I know it was awhile ago...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
If URI had a team worthy, I think Dan would give us a game. But he's not coming to Kingston to play a NET 200+ team. That's for sure.
UConn has not played URI in RI for some 40 years despite Rhody to this day still being the Huskies most played opponent all time by a wide margin. I doubt Dan Hurley breaks that policy
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago
UConn has not played URI in RI for some 40 years despite Rhody to this day still being the Huskies most played opponent all time by a wide margin. I doubt Dan Hurley breaks that policy
If we were a ranked team, I think Dan might entertain it. Unranked? Not a chance. But if we were ranked I think he would enjoy coming back. Hell, not like people would boo him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we were a ranked team, I think Dan might entertain it. Unranked? Not a chance. But if we were ranked I think he would enjoy coming back. Hell, not like people would boo him.
Never would happen.

Maybe at Mohegan (still doubt it), but not in Kingston.
2 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago So Archie just played at UD Arena...and was shown some love.
Did Al ever bring BC?

If your going to bring this up please get your facts straight. First off a lot of Pc fans would not have had as much of an issue if Cooley had not sabatotged their season last year. Another thing is he is not making double what he made at PC and money is not the reason he left. The reason has been well publicized for those willing to find out. Cooley did a good job at PC no doubt. But PC was also very good to him for instance every time he got to the tournament he had his hand out to renegotiate. He was also given very good facilities which he asked for. If Cooley had waited till after the season to negotiate the fallout would be nothing like it will be.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 months ago
Did Al ever bring BC?

If your going to bring this up please get your facts straight. First off a lot of Pc fans would not have had as much of an issue if Cooley had not sabatotged their season last year. Another thing is he is not making double what he made at PC and money is not the reason he left. The reason has been well publicized for those willing to find out. Cooley did a good job at PC no doubt. But PC was also very good to him for instance every time he got to the tournament he had his hand out to renegotiate. He was also given very good facilities which he asked for. If Cooley had waited till after the season to negotiate the fallout would be nothing like it will be.
Cooley did not do a good job at PC...Cooley did a great job at PC. For any coach that leaves for another program, ask yourself "is the program in better shape now than when he got here? Did he do it the right way?" (Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan while it's under NCAA investigation and likely will go on probation b/c Harbaugh lied to and evaded investigators...what a dirtbag!)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
Did Al ever bring BC?

Cooley did not do a good job at PC...Cooley did a great job at PC. For any coach that leaves for another program, ask yourself "is the program in better shape now than when he got here? Did he do it the right way?" (Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan while it's under NCAA investigation and likely will go on probation b/c Harbaugh lied to and evaded investigators...what a dirtbag!)
PMMM,
You should venture over to the PCBoard to see how they treat the guy.
One post is 73 pages and climbing , over 1000 posts titled “Tweets Trashing Cooley”

Read for yourself. See what they say and feel about their former HC.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 51/?page=1

Here’s a post encouraging a more civil and appreciative welcome

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 92/?page=1

Another. Lot if anger still well into the next season towards Cooley and how he left

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 32/?page=1
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Penders brought his Texas team to RI to play URI. The game was however at the PCC. I think his GW team played at Keaney and his Houston team may have played at the Ryan Center.
That game at the PCC where Penders brought his Texas team against Al Skinner's URI team... I was at the game. I want to say with 99% certainty that that was the very first URI basketball away game I ever attended. All of the games prior to that were home games at Keaney Gym where we would get buzzed at my brother's frat house on campus and then all go as a group into the student section..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago
RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Penders brought his Texas team to RI to play URI. The game was however at the PCC. I think his GW team played at Keaney and his Houston team may have played at the Ryan Center.
That game at the PCC where Penders brought his Texas team against Al Skinner's URI team... I was at the game. I want to say with 99% certainty that that was the very first URI basketball away game I ever attended. All of the games prior to that were home games at Keaney Gym where we would get buzzed at my brother's frat house on campus and then all go as a group into the student section..
I remember that gsme too , think it was the early 90? Maybe 92 ?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Cooley return……I would have interested in Bunky’s take, but that’s not happening.
Last edited by section(105) 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago

If your going to bring this up please get your facts straight. First off a lot of Pc fans would not have had as much of an issue if Cooley had not sabatotged their season last year. Another thing is he is not making double what he made at PC and money is not the reason he left. The reason has been well publicized for those willing to find out.
I alluded to the “reason”.

Disgusting…

And the other former coach coming back next month…

“Let he who is without sin…”

Unless it’s Ed?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If your going to bring this up please get your facts straight. First off a lot of Pc fans would not have had as much of an issue if Cooley had not sabatotged their season last year. Another thing is he is not making double what he made at PC and money is not the reason he left. The reason has been well publicized for those willing to find out.

Disgusting…

Unless it’s Ed?
Glad you brought this up. CBB is getting less interesting the more Rhody loses. This will be a good social study to compare the reactions 👍
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tom Penders - 5 return game visits
Texas 1988-1998 - games at URI 02/01/92 (PCC) | 02/26/96 (PCC)
GW 1998-01 - games at URI 01/23/99 (PCC) | 02/14/01 (PCC)
Houston 2004-10 - games at URI 11/13/06

Al Skinner - 1 return game visit
BC 1997-10 - games at URI 12/31/05
Had also started a 2nd 2-1 series at Conte in 2009 with a planned trip to the RC in 2010 which he did not make as he was fired months earlier
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

0.0.0% chance.

Dan Hurley will never play 3 teams as the UConn head coach; URI, Wagner, or any team Bobby Hurley coaches for.

He takes everything personally.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago

PMMM,
You should venture over to the PCBoard to see how they treat the guy.
One post is 73 pages and climbing , over 1000 posts titled “Tweets Trashing Cooley”

Read for yourself. See what they say and feel about their former HC.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 51/?page=1

Here’s a post encouraging a more civil and appreciative welcome

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 92/?page=1

Another. Lot if anger still well into the next season towards Cooley and how he left

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 32/?page=1
You'll never see me on a PC message board...ever. I believe that PC slappies have trashed Cooley. I just don't think they're being rational. I'm not saying the guy is perfect but he did a lot of good for PC, the program, the city, and I think his players "played" for him. He's a great Rhode Island success story. (I remember his Central HS teams, which shows my age.)
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Did Al ever bring BC?

Good question rudder.................

I was never a big Ed Cooley fan and he topped my disenchantment with him when he ducked out of he URI-PC Game during Covid when he easily could have played the game in front of no fans and still got the home game in Providence the next year. And then he had the audacity to schedule Fairleigh Dickinson in our place on the next day, Saturday. He just wanted to duck URI. "The road to the NCAA does not go through Kingston RI" - a classic, along with his infamous "Bah Humbug, Merry Christmas"

That said, he was good for PC, he played at Central HS, CCRI and was an AC at URI. Appropriately referred to as the Mayor of Providence as he would visit gyms in South Providence and in the Providence vicinity. A fixture at the National Prep Invitational Tournament every February at RI College.

His name came up for several vacancies over the years, most notably Michigan, but he always renegotiated his contract to remain at PC.

Key point is PC fans really never thought Cooley would leave PC. They did not think any HC would leave PC but especially a home grown product like Ed Cooley.

Reading their Message Board throughout the ordeal and since, PC fans continue to be very angry with his departure. The matchup with Georgetown has been highly anticipated and the local media has done no favors in pumping up the matchup for many months now.

There were many who thought the chances of Cooley going to Georgetown were zero, zilch, nada, no possible way. They were shell shocked. I thought there was fairly good chance that he would leave for a program like Georgetown. I thought he had his eyes on that HC position for many years prior. Turns out he pulled the trigger.

The simple fact is that Ed Cooley left for a variety of reasons, not listed in order. Most important it is simply a better job and better opportunity:
1. Georgetown is a better, more high profile job than PC is
2. His daughter was attending Georgetown and graduated during his time there
3. He highly respected the John Thompson
4. Georgetown represents a rebuild, a chance to bring a once storied and highly respected program back to respectability
5. His family might have, and probably did want a change of scenery away from RI
6. Washington DC is a nice place to live
7. Change
8. More money
9. Could help him land a job later on as a commentator
10. Challenge - he had brought PC up to about as high as he could, limited additional upside potential
11. Just for the fun of it

PC fans, if they looked logically and without anger and emotion could look at those reasons and make sense out of them, but they get hung up on "how he left". He had his house ready for the marked before he announced he was leaving for Georgetown - wow does that get them all riled up. Lot's of comments about his personal life which seems inappropriate but not to most PC fans.

End of the day Cooley left for a better job, a better opportunity for himself and for his family.

Some were very angry when Hurley left URI, a few still are, but most respect and understand Hurley's situation and when he did for URI. PC fans are not there yet, and most maybe never will, it will take a long time.

I'll be rooting for Ed Cooley and the Hoyas!!! My favorite team is URI, my next favorite team is whoever is playing PC.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Was never a big fan of Cooley. I recall when PC first hired Cooley, I met in my corporate environment a big Fairfield MBB booster. He was lukewarm over Cooley's tenure at Fairfield saying he never won big games and called him a blowhard. That seemed to be borne out by and large at PC though he did win PC's first regular season crown and made the Sweet 16 once, But when you consider that BE teams usually get better seedings than say URI - you can't compare PC drawing South Dakota State and an underwhelming Richmond team as compared to URI getting Creighton, Oregon, Oklahoma and Duke, for example.

But I agree with woodennickel that not waiting to make a move until well after season concluded was a big error. Plus I thought he then made some very tactless comments in his explanation of his need for change.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
0.0.0% chance.

Dan Hurley will never play 3 teams as the UConn head coach; URI, Wagner, or any team Bobby Hurley coaches for.

Be careful with those 0% declarations on here…they haven’t always panned out well.

Bobby’s name already being thrown around at DePaul from reliable tipsters.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

0.0.0% chance.

Be careful with those 0% declarations on here…they haven’t always panned out well.

Bobby’s name already being thrown around at DePaul from reliable tipsters.
That is correct BAR, and especially don't use 0.0% in a thread related to Ed Cooley. :lol:
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think you have to give Tom Penders much credit for scheduling URI after he left. The man only coached here for two seasons but agreed to several (3) separate home and home OOC series while at Texas and Houston. The GW conference return games were mandated by the A-10 so I don't really count them. Does anyone think that a program like Texas would have done two separate home and home series coming to RI on two occasions if Penders was not the head coach that made out the schedule?

While Skinner did return to Kingston, I personally don't think he did URI any big favor. He extorted two home games for his single RC visit at a time when BC was desperate to get some local OOC games with reduced travel as the program had just joined the ACC in 2005.
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

AP Article on Cooley's return to Providence

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgetown-c ... 33497.html
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

lol and multiple people here always say “I don’t care about PC” acting all high and mighty.

We got people writing monologues about him on this thread, pouring their feelings out, posting links to their message board, etc.

Too funny.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago lol and multiple people here always say “we don’t care about PC”

Too funny.

We got people writing monologues about him on this thread.
Everyone on this board cares about PC. Everyone. No one is fooling anyone.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago lol and multiple people here always say “we don’t care about PC”

Too funny.

We got people writing monologues about him on this thread.
Everyone on this board cares about PC. Everyone. No one is fooling anyone.
Oh I know, as they should care.

Just can’t stand people constantly saying they don’t care as if they’re above it.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Tom Penders - 5 return game visits

Had also started a 2nd 2-1 series at Conte in 2009 with a planned trip to the RC in 2010 which he did not make as he was fired months earlier
The one I was referring to was 02/01/1992.

Penders not only brought his team back to play, but they were nationally ranked. It was a big deal. That place was hopping.

We were sitting in the nosebleeds in the dead center endzone.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Penders not only brought his team back to play, but they were nationally ranked. It was a big deal. That place was hopping.

I was there as well and likely there again for the 1996 Texas game. Had the PCC ticket package each season back then. Big name schools were then more open to playing OOC games on the road and probably liked that this away game was 30 miles off the opponent's campus. I can remember getting to see OOC teams such as Texas, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Arizona, Wake Forest, Cal, UNLV, Tulsa, and Wisconsin come to play URI in Providence during the 1990's. Highly doubtful we will ever see such teams at the Ryan Center these days.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was there as well and likely there again for the 1996 Texas game. Had the PCC ticket package each season back then. Big name schools were then more open to playing OOC games on the road and probably liked that this away game was 30 miles off the opponent's campus. I can remember getting to see OOC teams such as Texas, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Arizona, Wake Forest, Cal, UNLV, Tulsa, and Wisconsin come to play URI in Providence during the 1990's. Highly doubtful we will ever see such teams at the Ryan Center these days.
Yeah the 92 game was the one I recall , did we win the 92 or 96 game ?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 3 months ago

Yeah the 92 game was the one I recall , did we win the 92 or 96 game ?
URI beat Texas 92-79 at the PCC in 1992. Lost the 1996 game there 77-81.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC favored by 11.5 points

PC 7th in BE NET
A loss to Hoyas at Home in the Dunk would hurt because of the Georgetown NET

Why is DePaul still in the BE. Over 300 NET :roll: :roll:

IMG_2059.jpeg
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ed left PC because he couldn't keep it in his pants.
He then began flirting with Gtown during the season.
He signed his agreement to sell his house before senior day.
Yes, he did this to appease his wife, but then played stupid when the media began loudly reporting he was going to Gtown, during the BET and NCAA runs.
Had Cooley had a clean exit, the opinion would be more of confusion than anger.
He's a guy who frequently mentioned a desire to retire before age 60.
He's now playing in front an empty arena.
A "national name" whose fans don't support the team, who plays in the same conference, whose NIL is worse.
Happy wife happy life as they say, but it could have been handled much better.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Disagree
Cooley left for a better job. Georgetown is simply a better job than PC. Georgetown represents a challenge.

The whole thing about his wife and that the house was put up for sale (boo hoo) just helps PC fans justify their anger.

The way PC fans are so butt-hurt and so angry is because they never thought Cooley would leave them. He did.

No way to treat a former Head Coach who went was born and raised in Providence, gave his time and money to the Providence YMCA, was looked up to by inner city kids and their parents, and on and on.

You should all be ashamed by the disgusting, foul language banners that are being hung trashing Cooley.

If Dan Hurley came back to the Ryan Center he would be cheered. I would be embarrassed for URI if anybody boded Dan Hurley.

Cooley getting booed and trashed relentlessly on PC message boards and other social media is sad. What's even sadder is you don't realize it and justify your behavior.

Hopefully one day down the road, even if its way down the road, you will all look back and support the guy.

How embarrassing that the Dunk will be on National TV bonding relentlessly their former Head Coach who is guilty of taking a better job.......and even if it's not a better job that is up to him and his family to decide what happiness is - not PC fans.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Georgetown is perhaps a marginally better job due to historical prestige. The reality is he has the same staff, worse resources, a comparable salary, a higher cost of living, an apathetic fan base not showing up to games or funding NIL, while playing in the same conference. Yes, it's a challenge. For a guy who wanted to retire in 5 years, any rational person would say "why take on a massive rebuild?" Gtown was no slam dunk, 2 tournament appearances in the last decade, 1 tournament win in the last decade, 3 tournament wins since their final four in 2007. You can spin it how you want, a guy deciding to leave midseason and giving up on his team for minimal gain is a horrendous look. This isn't Dan Hurley going to UCONN for way more money, way better resources, a better conference, etc.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago Georgetown is perhaps a marginally better job due to historical prestige. The reality is he has the same staff, worse resources, a comparable salary, a higher cost of living, an apathetic fan base not showing up to games or funding NIL, while playing in the same conference. Yes, it's a challenge. For a guy who wanted to retire in 5 years, any rational person would say "why take on a massive rebuild?" Gtown was no slam dunk, 2 tournament appearances in the last decade, 1 tournament win in the last decade, 3 tournament wins since their final four in 2007. You can spin it how you want, a guy deciding to leave midseason and giving up on his team for minimal gain is a horrendous look. This isn't Dan Hurley going to UCONN for way more money, way better resources, a better conference, etc.
URI mostly matched Hurley's salary at uconn.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago Georgetown is perhaps a marginally better job due to historical prestige. The reality is he has the same staff, worse resources, a comparable salary, a higher cost of living, an apathetic fan base not showing up to games or funding NIL, while playing in the same conference. Yes, it's a challenge. For a guy who wanted to retire in 5 years, any rational person would say "why take on a massive rebuild?" Gtown was no slam dunk, 2 tournament appearances in the last decade, 1 tournament win in the last decade, 3 tournament wins since their final four in 2007. You can spin it how you want, a guy deciding to leave midseason and giving up on his team for minimal gain is a horrendous look. This isn't Dan Hurley going to UCONN for way more money, way better resources, a better conference, etc.
You and your fan base are the people spinning it. It's Ed Cooley to decide if he wants the Georgetown Job over the PC Job or not - not the PC fandom.. It's a free country. So it leaked out that his house was going to be put up for sale. Boo Hoo. Is that a crime? Small potatoes.

The guy took another job. Get over it. You are all looking stupid over there. And about to embarrass yourselves on National TV.

Coaches leave for lots of reasons. Time to move on.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You and your fan base are the people spinning it. It's Ed Cooley to decide if he wants the Georgetown Job over the PC Job. It's a free country.

The guy took another job. Get over it. You are all looking stupid over there. And about to embarrass yourselves on National TV.

It will be kinda fun to watch them boo one of the best coaches they ever had...I mean, I'm not against seeing PC and PC fans embarrass themselves in any way possible. This will be one of those times.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You and your fan base are the people spinning it. It's Ed Cooley to decide if he wants the Georgetown Job over the PC Job or not - not the PC fandom.. It's a free country. So it leaked out that his house was going to be put up for sale. Boo Hoo. Is that a crime? Small potatoes.

Is it a crime to sell your house? Of course not.
Is it a good look to agree to sell your house during the season?
To recruit for another team while still the coach of your current team?
This isn't investment banking. You can't adequately coach a team in any sport knowing you are leaving.
That's the frustration. Not the pure decision to leave. You are over-simplifying the issue.
The anger is not simply choosing Gtown over PC.
It was quitting on PC, plain and simple.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago

This isn't investment banking. You can't adequately coach a team in any sport knowing you are leaving.
That's the frustration. Not the pure decision to leave. You are over-simplifying the issue.
Probably no different actions than a lot of coaches that leave places...only with more publicity.
Gonna be odd at The Hole tomorrow.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Disgusting…

Unless it’s Ed?

You did and I told you that you were wrong and he did not leave for the money. Like I said get you facts straight b4 making a ridiculous post. It's pretty much all over the Internet. Cooley did do a great job energizing the fan and I think most fans appreciate that. Like I said it was the way he did it. Cooley also had his short comings too. Couldn't win in the post season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don’t you think Hurley knew he was going to UCONN before the NCAA Tournament took place?
Don’t you know Jim Haystacks Calhoun was talking to Hurley the Summer before?
It’s the way of the college football and basketball world.

Cooley didn’t quit on PC. Cooley took what he believed was a better opportunity for himself and for his family. Not any different than what any other College Coach does. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Looks to me that PC fans have quit on a guy who gave a big part of his life to Coaching at PC. What a shame. A loss-lose situation.

Time heals all wounds. There were some here that despised Hurley for leaving. But time healed a lot of that. Most all hold Hurley in high regard now.

Please don’t beat up the Georgetown Mascot in the men’s room no matter how angry you all are. It’s not the Mascot’s fault.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Probably no different actions than a lot of coaches that leave places...only with more publicity.
Gonna be odd at The Hole tomorrow.
Common sense…….

2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Most can separate the accomplishments from the way he left. One day he will be revered, but it's not today and it certainly won't be tomorrow.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the hatred spewing on your board I’d say it’s never. It’s been brutal on your board ever since Cooley announced departing for a better job.
Kim English gets a great break because everyone despises Cooley so much they love him.
Funny that some of the criticisms I and others here had of Cooley were always shot down, but now I can go read my old criticisms of Cooley played back by PC Posters.
What a world.

I watched GMU get absolutely dismantled by St Louis last year in the A10 Tournament. It was ugly. I was surprised PC went with him but maybe he ends up better than Cooley. I doubt it.

Should at least be interesting to watch this spectacle tomorrow.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago Most can separate the accomplishments from the way he left. One day he will be revered, but it's not today and it certainly won't be tomorrow.
That's silly. The "accomplishments" won't get any more revere-able than they are today. I am not a Cools fan at all...seems like a smarmy, egocentric blowhard, but you can't deny what he did there. He should be cheer-thanked for it, not booed. It'll be interesting to see if FriarNation is as wound up to boo as the PC fans we see here. I'm actually starting to think common sense could prevail and it might not be a boo-fest after all
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 months ago Most can separate the accomplishments from the way he left. One day he will be revered, but it's not today and it certainly won't be tomorrow.
That's silly. The "accomplishments" won't get any more revere-able than they are today. I am not a Cools fan at all...seems like a smarmy, egocentric blowhard, but you can't deny what he did there. He should be cheer-thanked for it, not booed. It'll be interesting to see if FriarNation is as wound up to boo as the PC fans we see here. I'm actually starting to think common sense could prevail and it might not be a boo-fest after all
Eh, short-term he'll be crushed as the guy who quit on his team.
Long-term he'll end up in the media someday talking about how great PC is and it'll start to thaw everyone back out.
Pitino took PC to a Final Four and was despised by many for how he left.
1 x