1/24 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/24 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RF1 »

Season ticket holders that were present at the Brown, UNH, and Fordham games must be anxiously awaiting the next home game at the Ryan Center versus LaSalle.
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago [quote=section(105) post_id=587898 time=<a href="tel:1706183767">1706183767</a> user_id=517]
Is guess the portal is a crap shoot, neva know what you are going to get, ther in the portal for various reasons, but bottom line they are someone else’s cast offs. Whether it be between the ears, hoops IQ, not complete players, lacking some fundamentals, not diamonds in the rough.
You know, this is a great point and I never thought of it this way. Simple. Either someone else's cast-offs for whatever reason, or a real blue-chip stud that is looking for a bigger investment from some program with more cash.

Kinda makes me sick being a URI fan...
[/quote]
ramster wrote: 3 months ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago Haven't read anything else on thus thread since before the game.

Missing the free throws at the end was brutal, but Fordham missed more than that throughout the game and we shouldn't use that as an excuse.

We lost because of the terrible defense the first 4 minutes of the second half where we gave up several easy runs to the basket where they just blew past the defense. Surprisingly, Weston started the second half and he got beat badly at least once. I couldn't tell you the others without looking at the replay. We came out really flat. Yes, Weston played well in the first half but starting him in the second half just didn't work.
Archie says exactly that Kevan........

Says the group we started the second half played poorly, really poorly

The group that started the 2nd half:
House
Weston
Green
Kortright
Fuchs

He sounds like a color commentator on tv. There is nothing he said that we do not know. Why did this happen starting the second half?

Is this all the players fault.??
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Is guess the portal is a crap shoot, neva know what you are going to get, ther in the portal for various reasons, but bottom line they are someone else’s cast offs. Whether it be between the ears, hoops IQ, not complete players, lacking some fundamentals, not diamonds in the rough.
You know, this is a great point and I never thought of it this way. Simple. Either someone else's cast-offs for whatever reason, or a real blue-chip stud that is looking for a bigger investment from some program with more cash.

And the days before the portal, they transfers, was skeptical of some of those past arrivals, but Stan and Iverson were the exceptions, any others?

ruined college sports - absolutely ruined it

here we are wondering on a year to year basis if we will lose our best players

makes me sick
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Is guess the portal is a crap shoot, neva know what you are going to get, ther in the portal for various reasons, but bottom line they are someone else’s cast offs. Whether it be between the ears, hoops IQ, not complete players, lacking some fundamentals, not diamonds in the rough.

I think there are lots of reasons kids transfer even in this era, and not all of them are an indication of something deficient in the players attitude or skills. Coaching changes are one example. But also there are kids who are just not a great fit at one place and end up getting to a better situation. Or kids that skills were more rightly suited to a mid major level vs high major. Yes there are also kids who didn't pan out for their own reasons - whether that is performance or attitude- but saying every one of them is a misfit toy isn't accurate. Even moreso in the freedom of movement era.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Kyle Rose played 36 minutes with energy and skill. 8-12 FG, 4-6 3P, 4-4 FT for a game hi 24 points. He also had a team hi 6 rebounds. I heard in the stands comments like "come on House" and "get House out of there". House struggled on defense at times. He played only 25 minutes with 4 PFs.

At 14:50 in 1st half AND at 16:17 in the 2nd half David Green committed 2 Lane Violations on FTs. Crazy that you rarely see Lane violations but 2 in one game from the same player? Green lazily leaned in the lane too quickly the 1st time and the 2nd time just entered too soon.

URI led 34-27 with a minute to go in the 1st half AND URI had the ball but settled for 34-31 at halftime with Fordham taking a long 2 to try to tie at the buzzer. Big missed opportunity to go into the half at least up by 7 but went in up only 3. Weston took a contested 3P attempt with a minute to go up by 7 and missed. Miller was clearly not happy with Weston's shot attempt.

In the 2nd half Weston kicked his leg into Charlton and Weston got called for the foul. Weston had words with Miller when he got pulled after than foul and Weston was mumbling and shaking his head as he walked down the bench. Not a good look by Weston.

With 1:30 to go in the game Kortright dribbled to the left of the lane, had the ball stolen and a long pass to Charlton who beat both Weston and House for the easy breakaway bucket

Take away Kyle Rose making 4-4 FTs and Fordham only shot 5-21 FTs for the game

9 steals for Fordham to only 4 for URI. Fordham fought hard for many loose balls, knocked balls loose and often players were giving on the floor to try for loose balls. Fordham played like they wanted this game more than URI.

6 Turnovers for Fordham to 14 for URI

URI out rebounded Fordham 42-31

Fuchs had 12 points and 17 rebounds
Kortright had 10 points and 9 assists
Green had 5 Turnovers in only 15 minutes of play. This was a game high.

IMG_2046.jpeg
That's the problem with getting 2 early fouls. You lose your aggressiveness on defense because you're afraid to get your 3rd, then 4th, etc. You could see how it affected both House and Green early in the 2nd half, playing ole defense, avoiding any possible contact with whoever they were guarding. They both had to sit out most of the 1st half because of fouls, so both were afraid to get a 3rd early in the 2nd half and have to sit again.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago [quote=section(105) post_id=587898 time=<a href="tel:1706183767">1706183767</a> user_id=517]
Is guess the portal is a crap shoot, neva know what you are going to get, ther in the portal for various reasons, but bottom line they are someone else’s cast offs. Whether it be between the ears, hoops IQ, not complete players, lacking some fundamentals, not diamonds in the rough.

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago Haven't read anything else on thus thread since before the game.

Missing the free throws at the end was brutal, but Fordham missed more than that throughout the game and we shouldn't use that as an excuse.

We lost because of the terrible defense the first 4 minutes of the second half where we gave up several easy runs to the basket where they just blew past the defense. Surprisingly, Weston started the second half and he got beat badly at least once. I couldn't tell you the others without looking at the replay. We came out really flat. Yes, Weston played well in the first half but starting him in the second half just didn't work.

House
Weston
Green
Kortright
Fuchs

He sounds like a color commentator on tv. There is nothing he said that we do not know. Why did this happen starting the second half?

[/quote]

I think Miller is, and has been, taking plenty of the blame himself. Probably more than he deserves to take in, but he does.
David Cox rarely took responsibility or blame
Jim Baron was worse than Cox sometimes blaming the tightness of the rims, the lighting and I recall once blaming the inflation level of the ball. Most often was da bawl just wasn’t goin in da baskit.

But seriously I think Miller is frustrated as well he should be. He takes losing very hard. He changed the lineup subbing out Estevez for Weston. Miller has a few discussions with Weston following turnovers and fouls he committed. Weston doesn’t seem to take feedback too well on occasion.

Maybe Miller sees it as he gave Weston his 1st start ever if I’m not mistaken and had some regrets.

Bottom line the 1st 4-5 minutes of the second half did not go well, neither did the last minute of the 1st half.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I can’t say that I’ve seen many teams that struggle so mightily with running back on defense. On that long pass Ramster referenced which led to a layup if you watch it back you see numerous guys just loafing it. Make it make sense.
Yes, the transition to defense has been mentioned before. I recall at the Evening with Archie event in EG, last spring, Archie reffered to this team being fastest he has had, something like that. Which had me think we would push the ball every possession, play some pressure defense uptempo run etc. So that now leaves me with we have a very slow fast team.
" We don't play pressure defense here"......paraphrasing.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I can’t say that I’ve seen many teams that struggle so mightily with running back on defense. On that long pass Ramster referenced which led to a layup if you watch it back you see numerous guys just loafing it. Make it make sense.
Yes, the transition to defense has been mentioned before. I recall at the Evening with Archie event in EG, last spring, Archie reffered to this team being fastest he has had, something like that. Which had me think we would push the ball every possession, play some pressure defense uptempo run etc. So that now leaves me with we have a very slow fast team.
With 1:43 to go in the game, Fordham up 62-61 URI had the ball. Kortright dribbled to the left of the lane, had the ball stolen by A10 Preseason All A10 Defensive Team Member Kyle Rose who threw a long pass to 6'5" 205 lb Antrell Charlton who beat both Brandon Weston and Jaden House for the easy breakaway layup.

Weston and House had one job to do after the ball was stolen from Kortright by Rose and they did not do it.

Miller will likely play that sequence over and over again.

1. Steal from Kortright by All Conference Defensive Team Kyle Rose
2. Rose looking up-court and seeing Charlton
3. Beautiful leading pass from Rose for the Assist
4. Nice catch and layup by Charlton
5. House and Weston late getting back and anticipating the pass and catch
6. Fundamental defensive lapse

IMG_2047.jpeg
I think it was a couple possessions before that where House had an awful turnover. Awful crunch time turnovers galore.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Season ticket holders that were present at the Brown, UNH, and Fordham games must be anxiously awaiting the next home game at the Ryan Center versus LaSalle.
I still look forward to going to every game. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
With 1:43 to go in the game, Fordham up 62-61 URI had the ball. Kortright dribbled to the left of the lane, had the ball stolen by A10 Preseason All A10 Defensive Team Member Kyle Rose who threw a long pass to 6'5" 205 lb Antrell Charlton who beat both Brandon Weston and Jaden House for the easy breakaway layup.

Weston and House had one job to do after the ball was stolen from Kortright by Rose and they did not do it.

Miller will likely play that sequence over and over again.

1. Steal from Kortright by All Conference Defensive Team Kyle Rose
2. Rose looking up-court and seeing Charlton
3. Beautiful leading pass from Rose for the Assist
4. Nice catch and layup by Charlton
5. House and Weston late getting back and anticipating the pass and catch
6. Fundamental defensive lapse

IMG_2047.jpeg
I think it was a couple possessions before that where House had an awful turnover. Awful crunch time turnovers galore.
And strong defensive players generate turnovers.
Fordham has 4 players in the Top 25 in steals plus Rose and Tsimbala are both on the 5 man Preseason All Defensive Team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago The only thing more embarrassing than that performance was our announcing crew. Both are a laughing stock presently. Brutal
Shitting on college kids, a true profile in class
Isn’t there a road or airport for you to go scream at.
Isn't there a cell phone tower you need to shove up your ass?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago My unnerving observation watching that lackluster performance was the numerous interactions between head coach and players that brought frustrated reactions from the players and the same type of frustration between players during some of their interactions. Maybe reading too much into it, but I feel there is a growing disconnect on this team. Seems that someone's frustration is close to boiling over. Someone on staff needs to reign this in.
This is accurate! One time , Miller was talking to Weston when he came out, and it ended with Archie walking away and Weston kinda of shrugging his shoulders as if to say “ I don’t understand .

Has Archie simply lost this team?
I've seen this interaction between other players and Archie as well. Not good when a coach starts losing the team. That's not something you want for 2-3 more years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago
ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago My unnerving observation watching that lackluster performance was the numerous interactions between head coach and players that brought frustrated reactions from the players and the same type of frustration between players during some of their interactions. Maybe reading too much into it, but I feel there is a growing disconnect on this team. Seems that someone's frustration is close to boiling over. Someone on staff needs to reign this in.
This is accurate! One time , Miller was talking to Weston when he came out, and it ended with Archie walking away and Weston kinda of shrugging his shoulders as if to say “ I don’t understand .

I've seen this interaction between other players and Archie as well. Not good when a coach starts losing the team. That's not something you want for 2-3 more years.
When a team is playing poorly and going through a bad streak there will always be some frustration.

But not sure I would read anymore into it and everything else is just speculation.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago

When a team is playing poorly and going through a bad streak there will always be some frustration.

But not sure I would read anymore into it and everything else is just speculation.
No, I mean I've noticed this for weeks now. The players don't look happy.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Everyone looked great during the win streak. There was passion and confidence and was very evident. Something happened on the way to St Bonaventure.
0 x
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago
RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Season ticket holders that were present at the Brown, UNH, and Fordham games must be anxiously awaiting the next home game at the Ryan Center versus LaSalle.
I still look forward to going to every game. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.
I look at it as something easy to do. Quality time with our young adult daughter who played at the college level so she understands the game and is into it. And we're not fair-weather fans. And yes, gluttons for punishment!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Everyone looked great during the win streak. There was passion and confidence and was very evident. Something happened on the way to St Bonaventure.
Yeah, true. "weeks" was an over exaggeration. Something definitely happened. You don't get blown out twice by 35 pts. That's not NORMAL. Even some other below average A10 teams have lost by single digits to those 2 teams.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago

ruined college sports - absolutely ruined it

here we are wondering on a year to year basis if we will lose our best players

makes me sick
Wondering for me, is offset by, what new good ones we might get. From last year to this, Rhody was helped by the portal, let's hope the same for next year
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Something to consider, David Green's Fouls Per 40 Minutes over the last 4 years:

20-21 Hofstra: 4.9
21-22 La Tech: 4.8
22-23 La Tech: 8.2 (only 6 games)
23-24 URI: 5.4 (only 7 games)

That's 6.4 Fouls Per 40 Minutes in his last 13 games.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I look at it as something easy to do. Quality time with our young adult daughter who played at the college level so she understands the game and is into it. And we're not fair-weather fans. And yes, gluttons for punishment!
I think you are wrong RF1
On this board if we win 3 in a row (regardless of the level of the opponent) posters get all giddy and confident and threads pop up about Streaking and polls such as What kind of seed do you think we will get in the A10 and we can beat anybody!! And how we can get a the double bye getting a Top 4 seed?

But, If we LOSE 3 in a row it’s like we are reading now. Sky is falling or has already fallen. All the usual stuff.

But at the games themselves fans are long term in their temperament. They have seen it all many times and speaking for myself I look forward to every game and it’s sad when the last game is played for the season - ANY season.
The roller coaster is much more here in this board and doesn’t translate equally to in-person season ticket holders.
Of course they want to win and make the tournament.

It’s fun to hear fans yell out stuff too
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Shitting on college kids, a true profile in class
Every time you speak I imagine a deranged fool walking around the airport screaming at billboards.

As far as the above worthless comment - to my face tough guy.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago Something to consider, David Green's Fouls Per 40 Minutes over the last 4 years:

YIKES
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

On this board if we win 3 in a row (regardless of the level of the opponent) posters get all giddy and confident and threads pop up about Streaking and polls such as What kind of seed do you think we will get in the A10 and we can beat anybody!! And how we can get a the double bye getting a Top 4 seed?

But, If we LOSE 3 in a row it’s like we are reading now. Sky is falling or has already fallen. All the usual stuff.

But at the games themselves fans are long term in their temperament. They have seen it all many times and speaking for myself I look forward to every game and it’s sad when the last game is played for the season - ANY season.
The roller coaster is much more here in this board and doesn’t translate equally to in-person season ticket holders.

Yes Ramster, I agree.

The extreme ups and downs on this board is very entertaining though.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well said Ramster! Well said.

Our usual Negative Nancy’s are out in force on the forums.

It’s still early days in Miller tenure.

Mrs hrstrat57 was not happy last night at the RC tho… like I said earlier that was a 10 point win tossed away - we need a closer bad.
Last edited by hrstrat57 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That sounds more like a casual fan mentality to me. Not saying you are a casual fan, but that sounds like some casual bs. So they just sit their with an even temperament awaiting the results of the season? Nothing to worry about, nothing to get too excited about? Or maybe it's just because those people are super old?

This board functions literally like every single fanbase ever. The fanbase SHOULD be on a rollercoaster right now because this team looks like a mess. We should all be wait and see and I think all are, but people can voice their concerns because there have been some VERY concerning developments here this season.

Winning streaks are encouraging! One should be encouraged by them and the play within them.

Losing streaks are always discouraging. Losing streaks get people fired, losing streaks lose fans, losing is corrosive. Each loss makes the climb back that much harder.

Heaven forbid the fans get really worried and fed up losing to FORDHAM without their best player at home, one of the 2 most winnable games left on the schedule, after embarrassing the program last week with historically bad efforts.

This program needs some damn wins period. Four straight losing seasons right now. We haven't had four straight losing seasons since the 80's. If we keep losing that sky will fall. If we win it won't.

That's why I said it would be a big win. So we can avoid the consequences of losing this. Now we are going down to GMU. Lose that and it's four and a row heading into the LA Salle game. That's not a very pleasant situation for the program to be in.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That sounds more like a casual fan mentality to me. Not saying you are a casual fan, but that sounds like some casual bs. So they just sit their with an even temperament awaiting the results of the season? Nothing to worry about, nothing to get too excited about? Or maybe it's just because those people are super old?

This board functions literally like every single fanbase ever. The fanbase SHOULD be on a rollercoaster right now because this team looks like a mess. We should all be wait and see and I think all are, but people can voice their concerns because there have been some VERY concerning developments here this season.

Winning streaks are encouraging! One should be encouraged by them and the play within them.

Losing streaks are always discouraging. Losing streaks get people fired, losing streaks lose fans, losing is corrosive. Each loss makes the climb back that much harder.

Heaven forbid the fans get really worried and fed up losing to FORDHAM without their best player at home, one of the 2 most winnable games left on the schedule, after embarrassing the program last week with historically bad efforts.

This program needs some damn wins period. Four straight losing seasons right now. We haven't had four straight losing seasons since the 80's. If we keep losing that sky will fall. If we win it won't.

That's why I said it would be a big win. So we can avoid the consequences of losing this. Now we are going down to GMU. Lose that and it's four and a row heading into the LA Salle game. That's not a very pleasant situation for the program to be in.
It's the ups and downs that being a fan for 50+ years, which I am and I think Ramster is, are used to. We don't like the downs and they really suck, but it's the history of our program. It's been a pretty consistent pattern for the whole time I've been a fan. We're down now, but if history holds, we'll be up again at some point.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago Something to consider, David Green's Fouls Per 40 Minutes over the last 4 years:

That’s a great point ! Some guys just have the propensity to foul and looks like DG is that guy

Not sure what can be done about it

Have to be able to play tough D without fouling
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago

That’s a great point ! Some guys just have the propensity to foul and looks like DG is that guy

Not sure what can be done about it

Have to be able to play tough D without fouling
The propensity to foul is not uncommon for players that are still trying to get in the groove and find their rhythm.
Green only played 6 games last season, missing the entire 2nd half and just 7 games so far this year after becoming eligible and healing up.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Every time you speak I imagine a deranged fool walking around the airport screaming at billboards.

Which is it, are you at the Ryan Center challenging people to fights or in your mom's basement yelling at college kids?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PRT did you just call Ramster a “casual fan”?

That’s some funny stuff!

:) :) :)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

House
Weston
Green
Kortright
Fuchs

I think Miller is, and has been, taking plenty of the blame himself. Probably more than he deserves to take in, but he does.
David Cox rarely took responsibility or blame
Jim Baron was worse than Cox sometimes blaming the tightness of the rims, the lighting and I recall once blaming the inflation level of the ball. Most often was da bawl just wasn’t goin in da baskit.

But seriously I think Miller is frustrated as well he should be. He takes losing very hard. He changed the lineup subbing out Estevez for Weston. Miller has a few discussions with Weston following turnovers and fouls he committed. Weston doesn’t seem to take feedback too well on occasion.

Maybe Miller sees it as he gave Weston his 1st start ever if I’m not mistaken and had some regrets.

Bottom line the 1st 4-5 minutes of the second half did not go well, neither did the last minute of the 1st half.
[/quote]

Just watched the post game presser , Arch sounds disappointed and frustrated which is to be expected
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago

PRT did you just call Ramster a “casual fan”?

That’s some funny stuff!

:) :) :)
Um

NO I didn't

How did you miss where I said "not saying you are a casual fan" ?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Which is it, are you at the Ryan Center challenging people to fights or in your mom's basement yelling at college kids?
Dude go away. I literally tried to engage in civil discourse on a previous thread and you are just a deranged angry child.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It's the ups and downs that being a fan for 50+ years, which I am and I think Ramster is, are used to. We don't like the downs and they really suck, but it's the history of our program. It's been a pretty consistent pattern for the whole time I've been a fan. We're down now, but if history holds, we'll be up again at some point.
Well yeah, I've been through it in my almost 20 years too. I get that. That's obvious. What isn't obvious right now is whether or not Archie can get us to the tournament. I believe he can, but we are also staring at another losing season...which is AWFUL in the A-10. That is about as far away from the tournament as possible. So the worry is HOW long? If Archie can't then who will?

Our goals for this season are still ahead of us, but it is currently very up in the air.

We are back to "when will we win another game" territory.
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Well my fellow Rhode Island Basketball fans. At this point of the season this is my reasoning for the recent failures. If you watch Archie Miller as much as you possibly can during a game. I think you’ll agree that the man NEVER smiles. Now think of Baron. He was angry at everything. David Cox was usually complacent. When during a game the coach is ALWAYS STOIC. Then at some point the team assumes that motionless posture. The apple always falls from the tree.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also in the presser Arch said he’s going to start playing Big Fou a lot more , jeez what took so long we all wanted to see that !
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I left at halftime. It was uninspiring basketball and I have better things to do. If a basketball team wants to play like that, well, I'm not watching it. Archie needs to get this going, cause year 2 and it seems like a shitshow.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago I left at halftime. It was uninspiring basketball and I have better things to do. If a basketball team wants to play like that, well, I'm not watching it. Archie needs to get this going, cause year 2 and it seems like a shitshow.
It was definitely a very, very ugly game. Zero flow. Toughest to sit through for sure.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Last year I remember being at a game where Freeman was showing attitude to Miller and I turned to my son and said there is an issue there. Are we seeing the same type of reactions from some players this year?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjv wrote: 3 months ago Last year I remember being at a game where Freeman was showing attitude to Miller and I turned to my son and said there is an issue there. Are we seeing the same type of reactions from some players this year?
Maybe Archie needs to throw a chair at some of these players like Knight did. We pussyfoot with these players who are charmin soft. And they are not really that good.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago 17 rebounds from Fuchs. Freshman record or close ?
Good question. As far as recent memory, Jonathan Holton had some games with a ton of rebounds.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Brian wrote: 3 months ago
Good question. As far as recent memory, Jonathan Holton had some games with a ton of rebounds.
Holton had 18 against Fordham his freshman year. I think that’s the record. Either way Fuchs is a monster on the boards already. Heck of a find by our staff. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
Brian wrote: 3 months ago
Holton had 18 against Fordham his freshman year. I think that’s the record. Either way Fuchs is a monster on the boards already. Heck of a find by our staff. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar
Fuchs, Cam, and Foumena all 1st year players give me hope and some optimism going forward.
Props to the staff for identifying and closing on these talented recruits, plus the incoming freshmen.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

BruceW wrote: 3 months ago Well my fellow Rhode Island Basketball fans. At this point of the season this is my reasoning for the recent failures. If you watch Archie Miller as much as you possibly can during a game. I think you’ll agree that the man NEVER smiles. Now think of Baron. He was angry at everything. David Cox was usually complacent. When during a game the coach is ALWAYS STOIC. Then at some point the team assumes that motionless posture. The apple always falls from the tree.

Who the hell cares if the coach smiles. Jack Kraft never smiled. Al Skinner never smiled. Dan Hurley only smiled at refs to piss them off. Cox was stoic on the bench, crouching down at the scorers table so no one would see him-Archie is coaching and active. Get a grip. We’ve gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Spook5365 wrote: 3 months ago
BruceW wrote: 3 months ago Well my fellow Rhode Island Basketball fans. At this point of the season this is my reasoning for the recent failures. If you watch Archie Miller as much as you possibly can during a game. I think you’ll agree that the man NEVER smiles. Now think of Baron. He was angry at everything. David Cox was usually complacent. When during a game the coach is ALWAYS STOIC. Then at some point the team assumes that motionless posture. The apple always falls from the tree.

Who the hell cares if the coach smiles. Jack Kraft never smiled. Al Skinner never smiled. Dan Hurley only smiled at refs to piss them off. Cox was stoic on the bench, crouching down at the scorers table so no one would see him-Archie is coaching and active. Get a grip. We’ve gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.
I don't care if he smiles or not, but that shouldn't stop folks from being able to share an observation. I think he looks like someone that just tolerates people in general as opposed to generally liking people.

Have not been to a coach's show, so I don't know...but does he talk with 'the peoples' afterwards? I could be wrong, but am just guessing that the idea of hanging out and talking with the peeps makes him cringe, maybe even throw up in his mouth a little....not that there's anything wrong with that
0 x