1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Dayton University
UD Arena, Dayton, OH
Saturday, January 20, 2024
12:30PM

Media
TV: USA
Online: USA
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Dayton’s Fan Forum
Same Forum – Game Thread
Another Dayton Fan Forum

Goddam that last game was a tough one to watch. Awful, awful, awful. Did I mention it was awful? Christ, Marcellus Wallace had a better time in Maynard’s Pawn Shop than URI fans had watching that game in St. Bonaventure Wednesday night. That game made the trip to Mohegan earlier this season seem like rainbows & unicorns. Unfortunately, things do not get any easier as the Rams play their toughest game of the season by far when the Rams head out to Dayton, Ohio to play the 21st ranked team in the country. The Flyers have been playing great all season & have only two losses. They lost at Northwestern by just 5 & lost at Houston, one of the best teams in the country by 14. They have some quality wins against St. John’s as well as Cincinnati.

Coach Anthony Grant, who enters his 7th season at the helm, really has the team playing some great basketball. The Flyers have been dominating this season, even without one of their best players. Malachi Smith, who was picked on the preseason all-conference second team, did his best EC Matthews impersonation by getting hurt just a few minutes into the first game of the season & is now out for the year. Thankfully for the Flyers they still have DaRon Holmes II, who is an absolute beast. As a surprise to no one who follows the A10, Holmes was picked as preseason all-conference first team and preseason all-defensive team. He is leading the team in both scoring (19.4) & rebounding (7.7) this season. He has had double-doubles in the last two conference games, going for 29 & 14 against St. Louis & went for 33 & 12 at Duquesne. Oh yeah, he also has had a few games this season with at least 4 blocks. That doesn’t bode well for Rhody as St Bonaventure’s Chad Venning, who has less blocks than Holmes, looked like Dikembe Mutombo against the Rams. Pittsburgh transfer Nate Santos has really blossomed since joining the Flyers. He is second on the team in scoring at 11.5 & second on the team in rebounding at 7 per game. Not bad for a player who averaged less than two per game in both scoring & rebounding last season at Pitt. In the backcourt, the Flyers have a couple of Kob(e/y)’s averaging over 10 per game. Koby Brea is the Flyers 6th man & best three-point shooter, hitting 48% from deep & 50% from the field. Kobe Elvis is second on the team in assists with 3+ per game & shooting it at an impressive 95% from the line. Finally is Merrimack transfer Javon Bennet leading the team in assists & steals. The Flyers play primarily 6 players with Buffalo transfer Isaac Jack playing a few minutes as their 7th player.

The Rams must put their putrid performance in the rearview mirror. Speaking of rearview mirror, I guess it was the beatings...made me wise. Hopefully the loss in Olean, NY made the Rams a little more wiser. They gave up way too many open looks & had way too many turnovers. Just a recipe for disaster. Hopefully Zek can gain some confidence because he is struggling mightily. Since the start of conference play, he is shooting the ball at 12.5% on just 3 of 24 shooting.

UD Arena is always a difficult place to play, but this game will certainly have a more amped up atmosphere than usual as this is Archie Miller’s first game back to Dayton since he left for Indiana after the 2016-17 season. It won’t have the Ed Cooley return to Providence vibe to it like there will be at the end of this month, but there still should be some extra excitement in UD Arena. In his six seasons at Dayton, Miller went 139-63 & won 20 games in all but one of those years.

In the Rams favor is that the Flyers have played tight conference home games, winning by 5 against St Louis & 4 against UMass. The Minutemen really had a chance to get the road win had Rahsool Diggins not gone 0-10 from deep. Could this game be tight as well? If the Rams can stay in it (which is a big if), crazier things have happened. Although the Rams have lost 3 in a row at Dayton, they seem to have played the Flyers well over the years. They inexplicably won the game last year at home & their two other wins against the Flyers were overtime thrillers. Since the Elite Eight 1998 team, the Rams have just one win against a ranked conference opponent & that opponent just happens to be at Dayton in 2016. So, you’re saying there’s a chance? Not really. My prediction, Dayton 79 – URI 64. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
14-2, 4-0 in the A10
22-12, 12-6 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 19 (184)
RPI: 4 (127)
KenPom: 33 (184)
BPI: 31 (202)
Barttovik: 29 (167)

Leaders:
Points – Daron Holmes II 19.4 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Daron Holmes II 7.7 (Jr., F)
Assists – Javon Bennett 3.8 (Soph., G) (1.3 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 19-25
H: 11-8, A: 7-12, N: 1-5
Most Recent Matchup: 1/25/23 75-70 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 5.0% Chance of URI Winning
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/20 | Dayton | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Where’s Marquis Jones when you need him?
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has it; #191, #12(down 2) URI with 7% to beat #40 Dayton.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Curious what the line will be.

Dayton and VCU for some reason are places that don't scare me, but should. It's the polar opposite of St Bonnies and St Joes, which scare me but shouldn't.

For some reason, year in and year out, places that are not hard for other programs to go in and win (Reilly Center, Hawk Hill) are little shops of horrors for us. Conversely, we always randomly find some magic @ Dayton and @ VCU at a rate much more frequently than other teams.

So who knows. We're not as good as we looked against UMass, and not as bad as we looked against the Bonnies. But color me optimistic for no other reason than nothing makes any sense and basketball is wild.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yes Spooky, this game can get ugly.
The most exciting part may be when they announce and introduce Archie and see the reaction.

Let's hope this isn't a repeat of our last game, I doubt it.
I think Archie will have us prepared and will make a game of it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From GoRhody.com

RHODE ISLAND FACING A TOP 25 TEAM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THREE SEASONS

Dayton enters the game ranked No. 21 in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and No. 23 in the USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll.

The game marks Rhode Island's first Top 25 opponent since it fell 73-62 at No. 13 Wisconsin on Dec. 9, 2020.

URI has dropped its last seven games against ranked opponents.

The team's last victory over a ranked opponent came against Seton Hall at the NIT Season Tip-Off in Barclays Center on Nov. 23, 2017.

Rhode Island won that contest 75-74 after Jared Terrell banked a runner in the lane with less than five seconds to go.

The Rams are 16-105 all time against Top 25 teams.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

wow that last sentence hurts
4 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

confidence level going into this one? zero.

bad guys win big.
0 x
:lol:
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago wow that last sentence hurts
Reality check / bitch slap all in one!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Almost feel like this will be competitive. As a player, I’d be pissed off after losing like we did. Really pissed.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Holmes might beat that 33 and 14 he had recently.

Just play hard and smart please, unlike that mess we just witnessed.

Just when you think we turned a corner, instead we backed up off a cliff.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Biggest stage for the URI players on Saturday. Will face a ranked team for most likely the only time this season in front of what will be the largest crowd at a venue all year. I fear that Rhody is not yet ready for prime time. Hopefully, unlike at SBU, it is at least somewhat competitive.
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Almost feel like this will be competitive. As a player, I’d be pissed off after losing like we did. Really pissed.
as a player, you should be pissed about getting beat during that contest. and do something about it then. not 3 days later.
0 x
:lol:
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This Ram team is very immature with a shocking inability to protect the ball. Expect them to suffer a second straight rout on the road.
0 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago This Ram team is very immature with a shocking inability to protect the ball. Expect them to suffer a second straight rout on the road.
Don't know if you get the memo, but part of being a member of this community is to have optimism even in a slow rebuild ...

The game hasn't even been played. There are random upsets that happen all the time where an underestimated unranked team plays with house money on the road and defeats a much stronger and supposedly more capable team.

That's the nature of college basketball. Games can't always be decided by the eye test. Sometimes they're pure chaos and that's what makes this sport so fun.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Watch party at George’s, I hear.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago This Ram team is very immature with a shocking inability to protect the ball. Expect them to suffer a second straight rout on the road.
I feel the same, Obadiah. It may get ugly... I am interested in seeing Archie's solution with Green getting doubled, as I expect most teams to do that now. The worst part of this team is that we seem to check out and give up when things get really bad. It's happened a few times where we get run off the court. A good team will come into this game hungry and angry for an upset. Even if we lose, I want to see this team battling. I expected us to be 3-2 after Bonnies and Dayton, but getting murdered in back-to-back games is a bad look... The team that played against Umass can beat anyone in the conference.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We've seen improvement and what this team is capable of offensively. Now it's time to see some improvement defensively. Is this group capable of being a good defensive unit? Unfortunately so far it's been a pretty resounding no. For them to be consistently competitive this needs to change. It's time guys to figure it out on that end of the floor.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Too bad this isn't at home...would there be a court storm after this massive Rhody upset over a ranked team?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

There is no result that will surprise me in this one.

Other than winning, I just want to see Zek get going. That would be a win in my book.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Very tough match up for us. Expect the crowd will be rowdy with Archie in the house. The Dayton players may have extra incentive to make Grant look good and avoid an embarrassing loss for him to Archie two years in a row.

Hoping our players come in with a chip on their shoulders and a spoiler attitude due to their performance against Bona to keep it a competitive game if unable to steal a win.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago There is no result that will surprise me in this one.

Other than winning, I just want to see Zek get going. That would be a win in my book.
I agree completely with you. The variance with this team is crazy - Green brings some stability and another quality player to the lineup, but we're still like seven or eight guys deep, and In Trouble typically if two or three guys are off their normal level.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago There is no result that will surprise me in this one.

I agree completely with you. The variance with this team is crazy - Green brings some stability and another quality player to the lineup, but we're still like seven or eight guys deep, and In Trouble typically if two or three guys are off their normal level.
If I had to choose

Getting Zek back playing well is more important than winning this game in the long run. Heck we probably can't win this game without him getting his mojo back. Not sure we can finish top 4 in the league and make a run if he continues to play terribly.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

If I had to choose

Getting Zek back playing well is more important than winning this game in the long run. Heck we probably can't win this game without him getting his mojo back. Not sure we can finish top 4 in the league and make a run if he continues to play terribly.
He’s playing worse than terrible if that’s even possible.

Complete 180 from the beginning of the season.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago We've seen improvement and what this team is capable of offensively. Now it's time to see some improvement defensively. Is this group capable of being a good defensive unit? Unfortunately so far it's been a pretty resounding no. For them to be consistently competitive this needs to change. It's time guys to figure it out on that end of the floor.
The defense is so bad. So often, it looks like our guys stand there and watch players blow by them and score. To me it looks like an effort thing but maybe they are just that bad. This is why I think Farrell will be our best defender. He has locked up some of the best recruits in the country. The bad thing is he's so far away on offense he may not see the floor much next year.

With Zek sucking and Weston banged up, our lack of wing depth scares me... If I were Zek, I'd focus on making a defensive impact until my offensive game returns. Create turnovers, take charges, and battling for rebounds....While everyone experiences shooting slumps, putting in the effort defensively is within our control. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but I feel like House has completely changed on that end of the floor. He's passionate on the defensive end and reminds me of Carey with the way he's rebounding. Props to him for improving in those areas. Archie said the staff pushed him to improve, and he has.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

There would absolutely be a result that would surprise me
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

If I had to choose

I'd even say 360

He looked like a future pro early on and now he can't make a lay up or dribble a basketball.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I had to choose

I'd even say 360

He looked like a future pro early on and now he can't make a lay up or dribble a basketball.
Yeah we got to get Zek going we all know what he’s capable of

I just want to see us play competitive, can’t have another effort like @ Bona
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Montgomery performance slide is one of the weirdest basketball things I’ve ever seen.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I am soooooo excited for the opportunity we have here to play a top 20 team

We don’t get this chance often and we will be in this game all the way

We are back in the spotlight again and this game willl put us back on sport center as Rhody hoops comes away with the victory !

JOSIE MONEY

JOSIE !!!!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago I am soooooo excited for the opportunity we have here to play a top 20 team

We are back in the spotlight again and this game willl put us back on sport center as Rhody hoops comes away with the victory !

JOSIE MONEY

JOSIE !!!!
I was in a funk not feeling good about this game until I got slapped upside the head by ECR’s post.

Thanks, ECR, for waking me up!

Kick some Flyer ass, Rhody!

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago We've seen improvement and what this team is capable of offensively. Now it's time to see some improvement defensively. Is this group capable of being a good defensive unit? Unfortunately so far it's been a pretty resounding no. For them to be consistently competitive this needs to change. It's time guys to figure it out on that end of the floor.
The defense is so bad. So often, it looks like our guys stand there and watch players blow by them and score. To me it looks like an effort thing but maybe they are just that bad. This is why I think Farrell will be our best defender. He has locked up some of the best recruits in the country. The bad thing is he's so far away on offense he may not see the floor much next year.

With Zek sucking and Weston banged up, our lack of wing depth scares me... If I were Zek, I'd focus on making a defensive impact until my offensive game returns. Create turnovers, take charges, and battling for rebounds....While everyone experiences shooting slumps, putting in the effort defensively is within our control. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but I feel like House has completely changed on that end of the floor. He's passionate on the defensive end and reminds me of Carey with the way he's rebounding. Props to him for improving in those areas. Archie said the staff pushed him to improve, and he has.
House's D has definitely kicked up a notch...and I don't even like defense....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago I am soooooo excited for the opportunity we have here to play a top 20 team

JOSIE MONEY

JOSIE !!!!
I was in a funk not feeling good about this game until I got slapped upside the head by ECR’s post.

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo
If we wear our keaney blues then buckle up !
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago

JOSIE MONEY

JOSIE !!!!

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo
If we wear our keaney blues then buckle up !
It's already destined to be a "ranked team loses to unranked team at home" sitch, so the unis are no big deal
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago Montgomery performance slide is one of the weirdest basketball things I’ve ever seen.
Funny as it sounds the only thing I can think of is how Mac Jones fell off a Cliff for the pats comparing to Zek
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If I had to choose

I'd even say 360

He had one good game against UNH in the middle of all that badness, So I'd say he's done a complete 540.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago

I'd even say 360

He had one good game against UNH in the middle of all that badness, So I'd say he's done a complete 540.
whiplash?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Channel your inner Marquis Jones fellas. We got some Flyers to kill!
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We wearin keaney's!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has a chance if it can get Marquis Jones, Dustin Hellenga, Xavier Munford, and Jimmy Baron onto the court again to play for the Rams. All of them have previously beat the Flyers on last second shots.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

100 gets you 750 if the RAMS come to play!!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

How does Tim McCormack still have a job
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just turned it in ! Let’s go baby !
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm scared!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

A lazy slow ass pass immediately
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

A lot to ask of Fuchs to guard Holmes one on one. Good luck young man!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Two TOs in less than 90 seconds. UGh
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley