1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs St. Bonaventure University
Reilly Center, Saint Bonaventure, NY
Wednesday, January 17, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
St. Bonaventure’s Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island Rams leave Kingston undefeated in conference play for a two-game road trip, facing two of their toughest road opponents of the season. How the Rams perform during this two-game stretch will really show how good this team truly is. The first game of this road trip, the Rams must head up to Olean, NY to take on St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies, who were picked third in the preseason A10 polls, have stumbled a bit in the start of conference play. They enter this contest at just 1-2 but do have a nice win at VCU. They have losses at Richmond & at home to Fordham which they were double-digit favorites at home. So that Fordham loss is tough one for Bonnie fans to swallow.

Southern New England native Mark Schmidt enters his 17th season at the helm of St. Bonaventure. Guard Daryl Banks III, who was picked as a preseason all-conference 1st team player, has struggled to get going this season. Over the last month (last 6 games), he has scored in double digits just once & is shooting it at an abysmal 18% over that time (& <16% from deep). On the season he is shooting it at just 29%. Picking up some of his slack is junior forward Chad Venning. Venning, who was picked on the all-conference third team, is leading the team in scoring (14.2) and blocks with 24. Former Bryant guard Charles Pride is leading the team in rebounding at 7.2 per game & is third on the team in scoring at 12.3 per game. Cincinnati transfer Mike Adams-Woods is leading the team in assists with 3.6 per game & is second on the team in scoring at almost 14 per game. The Bonnies last player scoring in double-digits this season is senior guard Moses Flowers at 10.4 per game. The team is a decent three-point shooting team (minus the aforementioned struggling Banks) with 3 players (Adams-Woods, Pride, & Flowers) shooting it over 44% on the season.

The Rams are playing their best basketball since early 2020 & they look to keep it rolling. Rhody played a complete game against UMass on Saturday, leading wire to wire, shooting it 52% for the game, 61% from deep & at 75% from the line. They turned the ball over only 10 times, which is 3 below their average. If you needed to find any fault in the game on Saturday, which I don’t think you NEED to, is that the bigs did find themselves in foul trouble for much of the game. Fuchs had 4 fouls in 20 minutes, Foumena fouled out in just 12 minutes, & Brown has 4 fouls in 8 minutes.

Even with how the Rams are playing, winning in the sticks of upstate NY will be difficult. The Rams have lost 3 of the last 4 in Olean. I am hoping they will be 5.5-point underdogs at St. Bonaventure. Reason being, they have been underdogs that exact amount this season twice in conference play & won both of those games (@Davidson & Saint Joseph’s). Hopefully Banks’ struggles continue, giving the Rams a better chance of winning. Or let’s get a repeat performance of Chad Venning’s 7 turnovers like he did at Richmond. Will the Rams get their third consecutive road conference win (including last year)? My head says they lose the next 2 & then winning 8 of the next 9. My heart has them winning 10 of the next 11. My prediction, St. Bonaventure 74 – URI 69. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
10-5, 1-2 in the A10
14-18, 8-10 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 78 (162)
RPI: 156 (129)
KenPom: 88 (167)
BPI: 89 (187)
Barttovik: 79 (144)

Leaders:
Points – Chad Venning 14.2 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Charles Pride 7.2 (Sr., G)
Assists – Mike Adams-Woods 3.6 (Sr., G) (1.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 43-31
H: 26-8, A: 15-20, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 1/11/23 68-67 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 13.3% Chance of URI Winning
8 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup, the most surprising thing about the Bonnies is Banks. He was a key cog in St Peter's Elite 8 run and is now a 5th year senior, his second with the Bonnies.

Last season:

Third Team All A10
38 minutes a game
15 points
4 boards
2 assists
1 steal
34% from 3

This season:

Preseason First Team All A10
30 minutes a game
8 points
29% from the field
27% from 3

I know they got Pride, but that is a massive massive drop in production for a 5th year all conference player.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, you pretty much nailed it.

Yeah I am hoping we can pull it off and this game should tell us a lot.

After the Bonnies recent loss at home to Fordham and losing at Richmond, I think Schmidt will have this team dialed in and prepared.

Our team has really come together as of late and rallied after that tough losing streak, plus Green has given us a needed lift.

I like our roster and feel we are capable of beating anyone in our conference, it should be a very competitive game.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't look at last game's foul trouble on the bigs as any bad mark. I look at that as tremendously terrible officiating where an over and back was called by one ref that was so egregious it had to be corrected by another without replay.

That said, any road game is tough to win. We're a good team though, and if we want to prove we're a good team, you need to beat a good team on the road.

Love that we're up to 162 in the rankings - what a difference a couple of weeks makes!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Olean is a tough test always. A win there will go a long way to cementing my belief that we’ve turned the corner.

Let’s get this one!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We were ranked 16th on like a 15 game winning streak with one of the best teams we’ve ever had and lost in Olean.

Never easy winning there.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Tough game demands toughness and fight from our team

split form bonnies/dayton would prove this team is here to stay and should be feared.

LFG
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago We were ranked 16th on like a 15 game winning streak with one of the best teams we’ve ever had and lost in Olean.

Never easy winning there.
That was also a Bonnie team that won a game in the NCAA tournament.

But yeah, never easy and I hate they're coming off a loss to Fordham there.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

show me game.

show me the last 2 weeks aren't a fluke.

rams by 2.
0 x
:lol:
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Most importantly we need Green, Fuchs, and Brown to stay out of foul trouble.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago Most importantly we need Green, Fuchs, and Brown to stay out of foul trouble.
Well we can deal with Brown in foul trouble, this is a game where Fou may step up again because Venning is a load.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago Most importantly we need Green, Fuchs, and Brown to stay out of foul trouble.
Well we can deal with Brown in foul trouble, this is a game where Fou may step up again because Venning is a load.
We can. True.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago
We can. True.
Glad we still have 3 competent bigs still with one down!
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago

We can. True.
Glad we still have 3 competent bigs still with one down!
Yup, the depth this year is so much better than last year's. Like Weston hasn't even been 100% and he's a good option off the bench. Poor guy sliced open his hand and has been dealing with injuries/personal issues the whole season. Then we have Zek too who we know can score, but he's also dealing with an injury and maybe confidence issues.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hope Pride doesn’t go off on us
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If we are going to win one of the next two games, this is the one that we have a legitimate shot at. At Dayton, it may get a little ugly. They are incredible. I think we lose the next two games but get back on track after that. Also, if we do lose the next two, that is completely fine! It was incredibly important that we beat Umass at home, and we did. If you told me we would be 3-2 after our first five A10 games, I would have called you crazy. If we are 4-1 or 5-0 I would put Archie near the top for coach of the year.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't understand the attitude how these two games are show me games and the last few games were a fluke if we don't get a split. We probably won't match our shooting from the UMass game again, but nothing else was a fluke, that's who we are with Green in the lineup and our freshmen growing into college.

We can play two good games and still come out with two losses, and that won't change what we can do the rest of the year
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago I don't understand the attitude how these two games are show me games and the last few games were a fluke if we don't get a split. We probably won't match our shooting from the UMass game again, but nothing else was a fluke, that's who we are with Green in the lineup and our freshmen growing into college.

We can play two good games and still come out with two losses, and that won't change what we can do the rest of the year
Pretty simple.

These are “show me” games because they’re back to back road games against two of the better team in the conference with one team ranked, multiple all league players and an NBA player.

People can say the UMass game was flukey because of how we shot and their best player was out.

Bonnie’s and Dayton are definitely show me games.
3 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago If we are going to win one of the next two games, this is the one that we have a legitimate shot at. At Dayton, it may get a little ugly. They are incredible. I think we lose the next two games but get back on track after that. Also, if we do lose the next two, that is completely fine! It was incredibly important that we beat Umass at home, and we did. If you told me we would be 3-2 after our first five A10 games, I would have called you crazy. If we are 4-1 or 5-0 I would put Archie near the top for coach of the year.
Wouldn't call Dayton "incredible" don't expect to win, but it's not like they're the Obi Toppin Flyers and I also don't see how you don't pick us against St Bonaventure. Obviously will be tough, but they better get their shit together.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

When they face the Metro Rams on 1/24 to go 6-0 in the conference...do you think it'll draw 6K?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ESPN has not caught on yet

Only giving us a 13.3% chance to win their FPI is always wack
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago When they face the Metro Rams on 1/24 to go 6-0 in the conference...do you think it'll draw 6K?
Yes and no

No at tip off. Only 4,500

Yes after everyone has been able to filter in through the metal detector process then 6,000 + by about mid 1st half

May not always look like 6000 on streaming as 1000+ will be in concession queues
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago If we are going to win one of the next two games, this is the one that we have a legitimate shot at. At Dayton, it may get a little ugly. They are incredible. I think we lose the next two games but get back on track after that. Also, if we do lose the next two, that is completely fine! It was incredibly important that we beat Umass at home, and we did. If you told me we would be 3-2 after our first five A10 games, I would have called you crazy. If we are 4-1 or 5-0 I would put Archie near the top for coach of the year.
Wouldn't call Dayton "incredible" don't expect to win, but it's not like they're the Obi Toppin Flyers and I also don't see how you don't pick us against St Bonaventure. Obviously will be tough, but they better get their shit together.
I would. I think they have a fantastic team and could make a run in the NCAA tournament. That Toppin' team was one of the best teams I've ever seen and arguably the best A10 team ever. No one is saying this years team compares to them.. Winning on the road is incredibly tough in this league. We pulled it off at Davidson due to Luis having a career game. Bonnies will be a much tougher challenge than Davidson.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Have you seen them play? Have you seen Holmes play? They have a NET of 17 and have won 10 in a row. So if you wouldn't call them incredible, which team would you?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Plus this is Archie's return to UD Arena, that crowd will be electric
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has; #175 #12 A-10 Rams with 15% to beat #81 Bonnie’s.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
Have you seen them play? Have you seen Holmes play? They have a NET of 17 and have won 10 in a row. So if you wouldn't call them incredible, which team would you?
Really good.

I've watched them all year. Holmes will very likely destroy us, but they aren't unbeatable. I'm not going to sit here and say "oh Dayton is going to crush us, we have no chance" they aren't THAT good. That's all I'm saying.

They of course COULD blow us out, but not if we bring it.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Looking at how these two teams compare, Bonnies are beatable but the 3pt shooting coupled with URI's sometimes suspect 3pt defense has me concerned. Bonnies are fairly proficient and they take an above avg number of 3s each game.
Attachments
URI-Bona.PNG
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dayton reminds of Providence from the beginning of the year when they had Hopkins.

We have wondered if we would have played a more even game with them with DG in the lineup. Well, this is kind of one way to see just how much of an effect DG has.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bonnie's coach Schmidt was born in a Providence hospital but grew up in North Attleborough. Went to Bishop Feehan High School in Attleboro and later Boston College.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

St. Bonaventure did not look good at all against Fordham . If they have a similar game against URI they WILL lose . They have not been very impressive
so far in any game I've watched . They did beat a depleted VCU team in their conference opener , but since have played poorly . We will see how
they come out against the Rams.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Dayton reminds of Providence from the beginning of the year when they had Hopkins.

We have wondered if we would have played a more even game with them with DG in the lineup. Well, this is kind of one way to see just how much of an effect DG has.
I think they are around the same level. They are comprised a little differently.

We has Bilau in the PC game and he was a real issue for them and our size was a factor overall in that one. Fuchs, Brown and Fou also made it hard on Oduro and Hop inside. DG could have matched up with Hopkins pretty well and I think we maybe take it down to the wire with him. We broke down defensively on their shooters late and that was it.

The biggest difference in Dayton and PC is that Holmes is a 6'10 freak as opposed to dealing with a 6'6 freak and right now Dayton shoots the ball a little better, but they don't have a guard as good as Carter.

I think Holmes is way too athletic for Fuchs, Brown and Fou with Fou maybe able to hang with him better because of his size and length. We maybe put DG on him? Ppl are going to get upset at me for brining it up but...this is where having Bilau would've been nice. He has the size and athleticism to keep up with Holmes. Nick Santos is very good too...idk I just hope we beat the Bonnies so we can set up that battle for first place!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

luke wrote: 3 months ago St. Bonaventure did not look good at all against Fordham . If they have a similar game against URI they WILL lose . They have not been very impressive
so far in any game I've watched . They did beat a depleted VCU team in their conference opener , but since have played poorly . We will see how
Tough to win in Olean, but they are certainly beatable.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Dayton reminds of Providence from the beginning of the year when they had Hopkins.

I think they are around the same level. They are comprised a little differently.

We has Bilau in the PC game and he was a real issue for them and our size was a factor overall in that one. Fuchs, Brown and Fou also made it hard on Oduro and Hop inside. DG could have matched up with Hopkins pretty well and I think we maybe take it down to the wire with him. We broke down defensively on their shooters late and that was it.

The biggest difference in Dayton and PC is that Holmes is a 6'10 freak as opposed to dealing with a 6'6 freak and right now Dayton shoots the ball a little better, but they don't have a guard as good as Carter.

I think Holmes is way too athletic for Fuchs, Brown and Fou with Fou maybe able to hang with him better because of his size and length. We maybe put DG on him? Ppl are going to get upset at me for brining it up but...this is where having Bilau would've been nice. He has the size and athleticism to keep up with Holmes. Nick Santos is very good too...idk I just hope we beat the Bonnies so we can set up that battle for first place!
George is getting upset!

A Seinfeld reference for you bringing up Bilau. :lol:
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Everyone knows Bilau will help if he is healthy. He's not. Archie basically said he's not going to play another minute this year.. I don't think it gets people upset, but I think it's time we all move on from the "we could really use Bilau this game" talk before every team we play. Green is a star. Fuchs is awesome. Brown is battling. Fou has his ups and downs but is a very intriguing big. We are playing the best basketball we have played in years lately, and Bilau hasn't played a second during this run. I hope Bilau can eventually have one healthy college season for his sake but I wouldn't bet on it.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 3 months ago
luke wrote: 3 months ago St. Bonaventure did not look good at all against Fordham . If they have a similar game against URI they WILL lose . They have not been very impressive
Tough to win in Olean, but they are certainly beatable.
Yup, I think we beat them at home. It's very tough to win at their place. A good coach usually gets the team off a slump after a bad loss. I think Schmidt is a good coach. Let's hope their weak play continues for at least one more game! If so we can sneak a win..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I checked the Bonnies board. LOL they at least posted about this game. They are in melt down mode over the FU loss. I didn't realize Schmidt has been there for 17 years. Damn. Oh, and he has never won a first round game in the NCAAT.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

my gloves are on today but tomorrow they come off and I slide on my brass knuckles

Too long we have endured non-relevant games

This is our time
This is our spotlight
THIS IS OUR REVIVAL
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago I checked the Bonnies board. LOL they at least posted about this game. They are in melt down mode over the FU loss. I didn't realize Schmidt has been there for 17 years. Damn. Oh, and he has never won a first round game in the NCAAT.
Beat UCLA in a play in game

What they don't realize is he's probably as good as they'll get.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago I checked the Bonnies board. LOL they at least posted about this game. They are in melt down mode over the FU loss. I didn't realize Schmidt has been there for 17 years. Damn. Oh, and he has never won a first round game in the NCAAT.
In 21-22 the Bonnies were pre-season unanimously selected #1 in the A10.
They had all-conference players: Lofton, Osu, and Holmes plus leading scorer Adaway, and double-digit scorer Welch.
Their starting 5 was loaded, but finished a disappointing 4th in the A10 and no NCAAT bid.
They did however make the NIT semis.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago Bonnie's coach Schmidt was born in a Providence hospital but grew up in North Attleborough. Went to Bishop Feehan High School in Attleboro and later Boston College.
His wiki page says he was born in North Attleboro , wonder if that’s accurate?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
In 21-22 the Bonnies were pre-season unanimously selected #1 in the A10.
They had all-conference players: Lofton, Osu, and Holmes plus leading scorer Adaway, and double-digit scorer Welch.
Their starting 5 was loaded, but finished a disappointing 4th in the A10 and no NCAAT bid.
They did however make the NIT semis.
Yeah that was very surprising considering what they did the previous season , sometimes you just don’t know
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago my gloves are on today but tomorrow they come off and I slide on my brass knuckles

Too long we have endured non-relevant games

This is our time
This is our spotlight
THIS IS OUR REVIVAL
Crazy Train 😜 🚂
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ahhh.. the softball... to start the day..

1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

game day.. fire up...

doesn't it feel good to be fired up for a game that is 9 hours away !?!?!

be interesting to see this team respond in a hostile environment..

i am looking for Cam to remain cool under pressure in this big road test

let's keep the mojo going !
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Students back yet for the Bonnies?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago Students back yet for the Bonnies?
according to their board, yes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

from Bonnies site:

SERIES HISTORY
URI leads, 43-31
The Bonnies and Rams meet for the 75th time on Wednesday night with Rhode Island having won seven of the last 10 meetings, a rare Atlantic 10 team the Bonnies have struggled with over an extended stretch in recent seasons.

Much of that is due to St. Bonaventure's struggles when traveling to the Ocean State where they have lost six in a row in Rhody's Ryan Center, including last year's 68-67 heartbreaker. The Bonnies have not won at Rhode Island since February 2013.

Bona has had a little better luck inside the Reilly Center, including a win the last time these two teams met here, 73-55, on Jan. 22, 2022. The Bonnies have won three of the last four vs. URI on home court, including a thrilling 77-74 victory over what was then a nationally-ranked Rhode Island squad Feb. 16, 2018, just weeks before the Bonnies earned an at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament that year. In all, the Bonnies are 20-15 vs. Rhode Island at home.

ABOUT RHODE ISLAND
Rhode Island appears well on its way to surpassing its selection of 14th in the Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll as the Rams are one of three undefeated teams in the conference after starting A-10 play at 3-0 to stand tied with Dayton and Richmond atop the standings.
Rhody went just 6-7 in non-conference play, but immediately turned the tide with an impressive win over what was a 10-3 Saint Joseph's squad on the opening night of A-10 action. The Rams followed that up with a 79-74 win at Davidson and then beat UMass on home court by 12 on Saturday afternoon.
The Rams will be tested this week as they play back-to-back road games at St. Bonaventure and at Dayton, two teams picked to finish third and first respectively in the league preseason poll.
Rhode Island is 4-0 since junior forward David Green debuted with the squad, with him averaging over 15 points per game. He started the season ineligible as a two-time transfer after previously playing at Hofstra and Louisiana Tech. Following a change in NCAA transfer rules, he made his debut at the end of non-conference play.
URI is one of the A-10's top scoring teams since the turn of the calendar, averaging 82 points per game in conference play thus far. Jaden House's 19.5 ppg leads the way while Luis Kortright checks in at 16.5 ppg. The club is shooting nearly 40 percent from beyond the arc in three A-10 games so far.
Freshman forward David Fuchs has double-doubles in three of his last four games played.
2 x
Keaney203
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Keaney203 »

Feels like a game where getting a good lead early could really help. Get the crowd nervous, and hopefully passes onto the players.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x