1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/17 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago Mods, if you need to suspend me, that's fine, and I understand, but I'm dead serious. I'm done being treated like this by this asshole.. I don't get why this dude is allowed to antagonize me constantly... Him calling me out yet again had absolutely nothing to do with the game. ZERO. He's done this to me for years now. When I tried blocking him, he kept responding to my posts saying shit like, "I hurt his feelings, so he won't be reading this". I still would get notifications or see replies, so blocking him didn't do much. Sure, I can try my best to ignore him, but it's tough because he's such an asshole to me and a lot of people I respect on here... I asked him to stop many times over the years. I'm at my wits end at this point. I try to be respectful to everyone on here but I'm truly fed up.
Stevey we all support you and enjoy your posts. You have also been respectful even when you disagree with another's opinion.
We also appreciate all the work you put in and you do it for our benefit. Thank You.
That is right on point, Jersey !

Stevey brings excellent content here that we get to enjoy. He also provides great insight on Rhody players and recruits and some Rhody insider hints that we are fortunate to read.

He is a pillar here along with you and some others that provide valuable content, opinions and perspectives.
Thanks Drums
This forum does help me pass the time since I retired, especially this time of year.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago If we play Dayton tough, I'll be happy. If we get beat by 30 again, I'll have some concerns.
This.

And, can we all just get along? As I've stated before, we are all pulling on the same oars. Jesus Christ. I'm sick of reading the back and forth dumb shit. It's one thing to argue, totally another to instigate and antagonize. Uncalled for and no one wants to read it.
7 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 3 months agoGo Celts
I actually switched over to that @ the half
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez just use the block feature what a tool lol
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Oh Mylanta!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Woof woof...on to Dayton.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

What happened to Fuchs? only 17 min and zero fouls?
Did he get hurt?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What a wasted ESPN+ spooj.

It looked like they never got their legs under them. Looked like they dressed at the Ry, rode a bus for however many hours and walked off the bus and tried to play. Almost like they were nervous/shook (esp Zek), too.

Other sucky part of this suckapalooza...Chuck Pride... every time they said his name all I could think of was that Grasso dude.

What a miserable miserable night....total cluster
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago What a wasted ESPN+ spooj.

It looked like they never got their legs under them. Looked like they dressed at the Ry, rode a bus for however many hours and walked off the bus and tried to play. Almost like they were nervous/shook (esp Zek), too.

Other sucky part of this suckapalooza...Chuck Pride... every time they said his name all I could think of was that Grasso dude.

I think every sport I’ve ever played there’s always been one game where you just didn’t have it and the other team did. It was a perfect storm.

Bonnie’s shot 46% from deep and almost 60% from the field. They dropped 99.

Even if we brought our A game we don’t win that. Tip your cap, leave the game tape in the woods of New York, and get ready for Saturday.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 months ago What happened to Fuchs? only 17 min and zero fouls?
Did he get hurt?
Venning was eating him alive.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remember this past summer? The decision was made to not give Charles Pride whatever NIL package he wanted for one year? It was basically announced on this board. We're not giving NIL packages this year, maybe next year (paraphrasing). We're not paying money for one year rentals. It's not a sound investment of resources.

Basically sent him to St Bonaventure with a bow on him.

Well, from that moment on, you knew when we played Bonaventure in Olean, he was going to absolutely murder us. To the tune of maybe the worst loss in modern program history. Anyone shocked by this, wasn't paying attention.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Our D was not good, but they still could not miss anything the entire night...regardless of how difficult and ridiculous a step back jumper it was. Moving on.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, did you see him play yesterday, at least in the first half. He was playing like someone possessed. He was playing with fervor as if, if he didn't crush URI, to the maximum extent possible, the Devil was going take his soul by midnight. I mean, how do you play against that? How do you defend that? Absolutely no mercy. The worse he was kicking our asses, the more he wanted to kick it.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Remember this past summer? The decision was made to not give Charles Pride whatever NIL package he wanted for one year? It was basically announced on this board. We're not giving NIL packages this year, maybe next year (paraphrasing). We're not paying money for one year rentals. It's not a sound investment of resources.

Well, from that moment on, you knew when we played Bonaventure in Olean, he was going to absolutely murder us. To the tune of maybe the worst loss in modern program history. Anyone shocked by this, wasn't paying attention.
Our best team in the last 25 years, the #17 URI Rams, lost by 30 at home to a 13-15 St Joes team.

That was significantly worse. It was as embarrassing and terrible as it was a killer for our seeding that led us to a 2nd round matchup against Duke we had zero chance of winning.

A road loss in a notoriously tough place to play against a desperate team that shot 60% from the field and 45% from deep is explainable. Who cares how bad we lost? It's one loss. To be honest, I'd rather lose on a day we bring our F game against a team bringing their best. Better than wasting a good performance and losing a tight one.

Again, these losses happen. Every loss isn't a referendum on the season, the coach, or the team.

And Charles Pride is averaging 13 ppg. This was his season high, and he's also turned in performances of 4, 5, 6, and 7 points this year. He's not some Naismith watchlist guy. He's a good player - and a guy you get when you have a senior laden team ready to make a run to the tournament like the Bonnies thought they were going to this year.

Give me our starting line up of Kortright, House, Cam, and Green with multiple years of eligibility over Pride's last year. Even Zek has more upside potential while he's battling through this injury.

Next year, or in 2 years, with this core and legit at-large aspirations? Yeah, give me a 1 year player like Pride.
jcru wrote: 3 months ago I mean, did you see him play yesterday, at least in the first half. He was playing like someone possessed. He was playing with fervor as if, if he didn't crush URI, to the maximum extent possible, the Devil was going take his soul by midnight. I mean, how do you play against that? How do you defend that? Absolutely no mercy. The worse he was kicking our asses, the more he wanted to kick it.
And to that point - OK so he has this one game against a team that theoretically spurned him? Does that mean if we had signed him he wouldn't have had that game and would be averaging like 11-12ppg on our team?

He had a good game, like everyone else on their team. None of our players did. Next.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
jcru wrote: 3 months ago Remember this past summer? The decision was made to not give Charles Pride whatever NIL package he wanted for one year? It was basically announced on this board. We're not giving NIL packages this year, maybe next year (paraphrasing). We're not paying money for one year rentals. It's not a sound investment of resources.

Our best team in the last 25 years, the #17 URI Rams, lost by 30 at home to a 13-15 St Joes team.

That was significantly worse. It was as embarrassing and terrible as it was a killer for our seeding that led us to a 2nd round matchup against Duke we had zero chance of winning.

A road loss in a notoriously tough place to play against a desperate team that shot 60% from the field and 45% from deep is explainable. Who cares how bad we lost? It's one loss. To be honest, I'd rather lose on a day we bring our F game against a team bringing their best. Better than wasting a good performance and losing a tight one.

Again, these losses happen. Every loss isn't a referendum on the season, the coach, or the team.

And Charles Pride is averaging 13 ppg. This was his season high, and he's also turned in performances of 4, 5, 6, and 7 points this year. He's not some Naismith watchlist guy. He's a good player - and a guy you get when you have a senior laden team ready to make a run to the tournament like the Bonnies thought they were going to this year.

Give me our starting line up of Kortright, House, Cam, and Green with multiple years of eligibility over Pride's last year. Even Zek has more upside potential while he's battling through this injury.

Next year, or in 2 years, with this core and legit at-large aspirations? Yeah, give me a 1 year player like Pride.
jcru wrote: 3 months ago I mean, did you see him play yesterday, at least in the first half. He was playing like someone possessed. He was playing with fervor as if, if he didn't crush URI, to the maximum extent possible, the Devil was going take his soul by midnight. I mean, how do you play against that? How do you defend that? Absolutely no mercy. The worse he was kicking our asses, the more he wanted to kick it.
And to that point - OK so he has this one game against a team that theoretically spurned him? Does that mean if we had signed him he wouldn't have had that game and would be averaging like 11-12ppg on our team?

He had a good game, like everyone else on their team. None of our players did. Next.
Hard hard disagree Zek has more potential than Pride. They’re not particularly close.

Look at both their careers and this season.

Pride is without question a better player than Zek.

And you take the best players you can get, cannot really plan for the future in this day and age of the portal.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He must have not been in there for the last play, apparently Schmidt was trying to be a "nice guy" and not eclipse the century mark on us. If given the opportunity, Pride would have probably taken it coast to coast the dunked to give it the exclamation point.

BlueMan, I get what you are saying, but we both know that Pride is not just the summation of his ppg. He provides a lot more than that. He was barking at his guys out there like they were losing when they dropped 50 in the first half.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, "tough place to play" ... yeah. Always. But tough place to play means you lost a tough one by 9, the point spread MGM came up with. Or heaven forbid, 15, a moment of reflection.

Not, they score 99 on you and you lose by 35.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

Hard hard disagree Zek has more potential than Pride. They’re not particularly close.

Look at both their careers and this season.

Pride is without question a better player than Zek.

And you take the best players you can get, cannot really plan for the future in this day and age of the portal.
Disagree, as the word “potential” is key there. I’ll bet you $10 billion that Zek is a better college basketball than Pride next year. Because Pride will not be playing.

Considering NIL isn’t an endless bucket of money for us, you have to be intelligent on how you spend it.

Does Pride make us an NCAA at large team this year? He didn’t even make St Bonaventure, a better team than us, am at large team this year.

What would be the point for a rebuilding program to bring in a good - but not program changing - player, for one season?

Save that NIL for when it’ll make an impact. You want that guy when you’re a 20 win team looking to be a 25 win team. Who cares if you add a guy and you stay middle of the pack and then he’s gone.

Archie’s building a program right now, this wasn’t an at-large team so why would you spend your NIL like it was?
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 3 months ago I mean, "tough place to play" ... yeah. Always. But tough place to play means you lost a tough one by 9, the point spread MGM came up with. Or heaven forbid, 15, a moment of reflection.

Ok so was our 2018 team a bad team because they lost by 30 at home as double digit favorites? Because by those metrics that loss was worse.

There’s a “moment of reflection” and there’s “referendum on the season” which it feels like you’re closer to.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Referendum on the season wasn’t what I was driving at.

What I’m driving at, you would probably like even less than a referendum on the season. Namely, that the powers that be sometimes make poor decisions and rarely are they ever called on them. Not getting Pride was a poor decision, and short sighted. Kind of like being offered the opening shares of bitcoin from day one, and saying nah.

We lost Leggett, to let’s face it, NIL. Pride could have filled that role, he’s a complete two guard who can shoot the ball from outside, he was avg another point or two pg than Leggett and had similar rebounding numbers as Ish. Which means he was another guard in that Leggett and Tyrese Martin mold who could not only play his position but grab a bunch of boards too. And he is a yapper. Hes a junk yard dawg. He’s a vocal leader out there like DG. All of those facets were missing from this team between losing Ish and waiting for DG to become eligible.

People made arguments like “one year rentals are a waste of resources”. Not in this version of the NCAA they aren’t. One year rental? Even better. That means one time payment. Get what he’s offering and then cut bait.

And Pride also gave URI ever possible opportunity to reconsider before finally going to Olean and taking their offer. So it was clear he would have preferred to stay in Rhode Island. That recruiting courtship went on for what seemed like forever and ended when uri basically announced that their offer was nothing and then announced that they were taking Kortright the week Pride was supposed to have his official visit here.
1 x
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago I mean, "tough place to play" ... yeah. Always. But tough place to play means you lost a tough one by 9, the point spread MGM came up with. Or heaven forbid, 15, a moment of reflection.

Ok so was our 2018 team a bad team because they lost by 30 at home as double digit favorites? Because by those metrics that loss was worse.

There’s a “moment of reflection” and there’s “referendum on the season” which it feels like you’re closer to.

Yes, Blue Man is obviously out of touch with reality
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not a referendum on the season at all, BUT there were some issues that have been prevalent this season that reared their heads in a big way yesterday...

1.) Most important to me is the compete level. We were simply bullied and out toughed. Our guys looked like they wanted to take their ball and go home. Besides Green there are still elements of this team that are charmin soft when the going gets tough and need to step up their attitude and intensity. Foumena needs to not be that guy that spikes the ball in the end zone when his team is down 30 and he is getting abused on the other end. I hate that shit.

2.) Defense. Atrocious. We made their 2 bigs look like Chamberlain and Shaq. Different type players but to say that doesn't bode well in facing Holmes is an understatement. Banks came in shooting it at 20% and was lights out. Pride got 2-3 early open looks that got him going and should have been a focus of our scout. He went off from there. But how they just dominated inside is the biggest concern moving forward. I do believe if Cross had played for Umass they would have done serious damage against our inside players. Brown is the toughest but the least skilled, Fou and Fuchs are skilled

3.) Turnovers. Atrocious. For about the 4th or 5th time that I can remember a loose ball bounced right to Zek and he fumbled it leading to an easy basket for the opponent. I'm not sure how that happens once let alone multiple times. Many turnovers due to lack of focus and execution and not because of amazingly aggressive defense. We do not turn teams over so it is imperative we keep our own turnovers to a minimum. It's impossible to make up a gap if you keep giving away possessions and on top of that do little to create incremental opportunities for yourself by forcing them.

That said, I'm more of the mindset that it's a one off complete turd of a game versus a new trend line. Ball don't lie. They were due to have a big game after laying a stinker and we were due to come back to earth a bit after playing out of our skull at home for stretches against Umass.

I hope the team shows up for Archie and for our own mental health on Saturday. I can't take another one of those. It's very very rare that I turn the game off even if we are way down and it's over. I stopped watching with 5 minutes left and flipped to the Loyola v Umass game. That's how bad it was.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 months ago show me game.

show me the last 2 weeks aren't a fluke.

rams by 2.
A show me game, indeed. way to no show.
0 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Referendum on the season wasn’t what I was driving at.

What I’m driving at, you would probably like even less than a referendum on the season. Namely, that the powers that be sometimes make poor decisions and rarely are they ever called on them. Not getting Pride was a poor decision, and short sighted. Kind of like being offered the opening shares of bitcoin from day one, and saying nah.

We lost Leggett, to let’s face it, NIL. Pride could have filled that role, he’s a complete two guard who can shoot the ball from outside, he was avg another point or two pg than Leggett and had similar rebounding numbers as Ish. Which means he was another guard in that Leggett and Tyrese Martin mold who could not only play his position but grab a bunch of boards too. And he is a yapper. Hes a junk yard dawg. He’s a vocal leader out there like DG. All of those facets were missing from this team between losing Ish and waiting for DG to become eligible.

People made arguments like “one year rentals are a waste of resources”. Not in this version of the NCAA they aren’t. One year rental? Even better. That means one time payment. Get what he’s offering and then cut bait.

And Pride also gave URI ever possible opportunity to reconsider before finally going to Olean and taking their offer. So it was clear he would have preferred to stay in Rhode Island. That recruiting courtship went on for what seemed like forever and ended when uri basically announced that their offer was nothing and then announced that they were taking Kortright the week Pride was supposed to have his official visit here.
What was short sighted about not coming up to meet a 1 year player's absurd (or inflated) NIL demands?

Does Pride make us an at-large team or not? Because yes, I would agree if Pride was "the missing piece" between this team and an NCAA team - sure, that's short sighted. But considering that he didn't even make the team he's currently on, a team that had and has significantly more talent top to bottom than URI, an at-large team...it's probably wise to not make that investment.

Say it was $100k we needed to spend on Pride, that's $100k we can't recoup for next year. Next year, if you wanted to keep a growing piece...like IDK a Cam Estevez or a David Fuchs...wouldn't you rather spend the money to keep those guys and get the benefit of them growing in your system? While also having money to get the next Charles Pride - of which there are MANY 1 year rentals available every year.

Wouldn't it be short-sighted to blow that money when Pride takes you from a lower middle of the pack A10 team, to a slightly higher middle of the pack A10 team?

Wouldn't it also be short sighted to look at how a guy plays in one game, his clear best game of the season, and say "this is the guy he is every night why didn't we get him?"

Because if he averaged 25 ppg every night in and out, he'd be playing somewhere much better than Olean, NY.

So I'll argue that Archie is trying to build a program for the long haul, and your idea that we should've paid Pride is absurdly short-sighted and I'm happy Archie is making our personnel decisions and not you.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I agree with Blue Man's comments, and I'd also add - With the transfer recruiting, the timeline is compressed, and I honestly have zero "feel" for how close we are to landing any of these prospects. Like, we've been linked to a wide range of players, from Pride to Sean Durugordon to Khalif Battle - all players that probably would have helped us - but I've got no clue if they were ever that close to coming here. This is way different than the high school prospects, who at make cuts to their list as time goes on or mention who's in their Top 3, Top 5 as time goes on. I'm positive you could cherry pick all of the best transfers we were briefly linked to and craft an NCAA tournament team, but I kind of doubt that kind of roster configuration was truly available to us.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago What a wasted ESPN+ spooj.

I think every sport I’ve ever played there’s always been one game where you just didn’t have it and the other team did. It was a perfect storm.

Bonnie’s shot 46% from deep and almost 60% from the field. They dropped 99.

Even if we brought our A game we don’t win that. Tip your cap, leave the game tape in the woods of New York, and get ready for Saturday.
Even if you want to credit most of their success to us playing poor defense, our defense wasn't 57.6% from the field, 45.8% from 3 bad. Even their walk on looked like Larry Bird at the end.

Also, we went 40.7 from the field, 31.6 from 3, but solidly below our season averages and I don't think that was on St. Bonnies, we just couldn't hit for shit.

Perfect shit storm. We're on to Dayton
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 months ago I agree with Blue Man's comments, and I'd also add - With the transfer recruiting, the timeline is compressed, and I honestly have zero "feel" for how close we are to landing any of these prospects. Like, we've been linked to a wide range of players, from Pride to Sean Durugordon to Khalif Battle - all players that probably would have helped us - but I've got no clue if they were ever that close to coming here. This is way different than the high school prospects, who at make cuts to their list as time goes on or mention who's in their Top 3, Top 5 as time goes on. I'm positive you could cherry pick all of the best transfers we were briefly linked to and craft an NCAA tournament team, but I kind of doubt that kind of roster configuration was truly available to us.
Speaking of Durugordon, he's averaging a ho hum 26 points, 9 rebounds, 49% from the field and 36% from 3 with Siena in 6 games/starts since he became eligible.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You are talking about recouping money next year. And you are talking about "growing a program' and "building a program" and I have to check my calendar to make sure it's still not the year 2019.

And you told R15 that Zek was going to be better than Pride next year, because Zek was going to be playing next year, but Pride will not. BUT, you failed to mention where Zek was going to be playing. Because he came from a team where he was beloved, and they did "grow" him, to come here, and unless something changes, he's currently in a funk and lost his starting role, and if the NCAA goes in the way they are heading, he'll be able to go anywhere he wants after this season.

So, the argument you are making would have been perfectly valid in the year 2019, but in the year 2024, when we have NO IDEA who is staying or going and cannot possibly rely on that, people are making decisions about getting a player now as a one year rental and not winning right now because the hope is that everyone you want to stay, will stay put and then you can build on that, like it's the year 2017 all over again and Dan Hurley is captain of the ship, and that's just not the case.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And four people who clearly do not like change, already agreed with you. Are also living in the past, and planning the future or hoping for a future, based on a platform and strategy that is basically obsolete now. But, what else is new?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 3 months ago You are talking about recouping money next year. And you are talking about "growing a program' and "building a program" and I have to check my calendar to make sure it's still not the year 2019.

And you told R15 that Zek was going to be better than Pride next year, because Zek was going to be playing next year, but Pride will not. BUT, you failed to mention where Zek was going to be playing. Because he came from a team where he was beloved, and they did "grow" him, to come here, and unless something changes, he's currently in a funk and lost his starting role, and if the NCAA goes in the way they are heading, he'll be able to go anywhere he wants after this season.

So, the argument you are making would have been perfectly valid in the year 2019, but in the year 2024, when we have NO IDEA who is staying or going and cannot possibly rely on that, people are making decisions about getting a player now as a one year rental and not winning right now because the hope is that everyone you want to stay, will stay put and then you can build on that, like it's the year 2017 all over again and Dan Hurley is captain of the ship, and that's just not the case.
I think that more or less proves my point that you need NIL money to keep those guys long term - so why would you waste it on a guy with 1 year of eligibility that can't make your team an NCAA team anyway.

And Archie Miller is captain of the ship...so why are you concerned? Or are we back to "Archie won a game he's a genius, Archie lost a game we should fire him?"
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This conversation about Pride only exists because Zek has fallen off the steepest cliff known to mankind.

I hope it's just the injury and in that case...just rest sit him until he's healed. We just really need him to get going. Not sure how far we can get if he never gets it goin again.

He is 3-24 from the field in A-10 play

Number one want for the Dayton game is Zek to go off. Or just make some damn shots.

I haven't given up hope because I don't think I can remember a player look as good as he looked, totally lose all his ability for the rest of the season. And yes, his ceiling is higher than Pride and you don't blow a bunch of NIL money on a guy like that. Maybe you do for a Dalton Knecht at Tennessee, not Charles Pride.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Do I think Archie can succeed here? Yeah. Do I think he is infallible and the almighty and beyond pointing out a questionable move once in a while?

Errrrrrrr.......

I give Tammi Reese a hard time too, she's had a lot more recent success here than Archie. Saying this past off season that she lost more talent than she brought in to the portal, doesn't mean I want them to fire her. It's just an inconvenient statement that is not going to be broached by most people.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Not a referendum on the season at all, BUT there were some issues that have been prevalent this season that reared their heads in a big way yesterday...

1.) Most important to me is the compete level. We were simply bullied and out toughed. Our guys looked like they wanted to take their ball and go home. Besides Green there are still elements of this team that are charmin soft when the going gets tough and need to step up their attitude and intensity. Foumena needs to not be that guy that spikes the ball in the end zone when his team is down 30 and he is getting abused on the other end. I hate that shit.

2.) Defense. Atrocious. We made their 2 bigs look like Chamberlain and Shaq. Different type players but to say that doesn't bode well in facing Holmes is an understatement. Banks came in shooting it at 20% and was lights out. Pride got 2-3 early open looks that got him going and should have been a focus of our scout. He went off from there. But how they just dominated inside is the biggest concern moving forward. I do believe if Cross had played for Umass they would have done serious damage against our inside players. Brown is the toughest but the least skilled, Fou and Fuchs are skilled

3.) Turnovers. Atrocious. For about the 4th or 5th time that I can remember a loose ball bounced right to Zek and he fumbled it leading to an easy basket for the opponent. I'm not sure how that happens once let alone multiple times. Many turnovers due to lack of focus and execution and not because of amazingly aggressive defense. We do not turn teams over so it is imperative we keep our own turnovers to a minimum. It's impossible to make up a gap if you keep giving away possessions and on top of that do little to create incremental opportunities for yourself by forcing them.

That said, I'm more of the mindset that it's a one off complete turd of a game versus a new trend line. Ball don't lie. They were due to have a big game after laying a stinker and we were due to come back to earth a bit after playing out of our skull at home for stretches against Umass.

I hope the team shows up for Archie and for our own mental health on Saturday. I can't take another one of those. It's very very rare that I turn the game off even if we are way down and it's over. I stopped watching with 5 minutes left and flipped to the Loyola v Umass game. That's how bad it was.
All of this.

Need a big bounce back on Saturday. Not expecting a W by any means, but the team needs to toughen the F up and compete for a full 40 minutes, no excuses. This team has too much talent to get embarrassed like that...and embarrassed they should be. It's all about how they respond now though. Arch mentioned several times so far this year that the team has lacked maturity in the face of adversity. Well no better time than now to flip that script. Can't allow last night to put them in a mulit-game funk. Turn the page and move onto the next one.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think in Tammi Reese's case, it's kind of like what someone said about Schmidt at St. Bonaventure. He's the best they are ever going to have. She's probably the best we are ever going to have for this women's program. It's not even a matter of her getting fired, we have to hope she doesn't get frustrated and leave. The drop off after her could be severe.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

spar wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago All of this.

Need a big bounce back on Saturday. Not expecting a W by any means, but the team needs to toughen the F up and compete for a full 40 minutes, no excuses. This team has too much talent to get embarrassed like that...and embarrassed they should be. It's all about how they respond now though. Arch mentioned several times so far this year that the team has lacked maturity in the face of adversity. Well no better time than now to flip that script. Can't allow last night to put them in a mulit-game funk. Turn the page and move onto the next one.
That's what made me worry about last night. I thought that maybe the guys had gotten over the "everything is spiraling" play and knew how to handle adversity, but obviously they aren't there yet. So there has to be that fear that they spiral again. Don't want that to be a trend.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Not a referendum on the season at all, BUT there were some issues that have been prevalent this season that reared their heads in a big way yesterday...

Compete level is spot on

There was one play in 1h someone got beat and Fuchs could have challenged @ the rim and just watched him dunk , it’s plays like that bother me
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Packline fail or compete fail? I can’t imagine a more miserable spot in the country than Olean after multiple snow events on a mid January night. Brutal.

Didn’t see the whole game had problems with ESPN plus last night(lucky me?)

Need to show up in Dayton….
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago Packline fail or compete fail? I can’t imagine a more miserable spot in the country than Olean after multiple snow events on a mid January night. Brutal.

Didn’t see the whole game had problems with ESPN plus last night(lucky me?)

Need to show up in Dayton….
Well one way to beat the packline is to hit threes and they did that.

But you should also be able to provide good ball pressure while the other defenders are locked in and providing help defense, which we did neither of. Then we had a myriad of sloppy turnovers that led to several easy buckets for them.

For this team it starts with defense and ends with taking care of the ball.

Once we get our defense down and clean up the turnovers I think we will start coasting, because I think our players are talented enough offensively.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Must have been a fun flight home, heh.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Must have been a fun flight home, heh.
Did they fly back or head to Dayton?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why would they spend two days in Dayton?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
Don't know just asking.

Would they fly back to RI today then fly to Dayton tomorrow?
We have a Nor'easter headed up this way tonight and tomorrow.
Weather and travel can be an issue.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Don't know just asking.

To my knowledge they flew back...which makes no sense to me.
To then turn around and fly to Ohio tomorrow. Why not go to Ohio today, get some rest and get the team focused. Teams do that all the time when the turnaround is so quick.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Venning that huge load inside hurt us bad last night , more than he should have !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

Don't know just asking.

To then turn around and fly to Ohio tomorrow. Why not go to Ohio today, get some rest and get the team focused. Teams do that all the time when the turnaround is so quick.
That is what I was thinking, seems like a lot of rushing.
Also with bad weather forecasted for tomorrow, not sure how that will affect travel conditions.

Typically if they have evening games do they fly back late that same night?
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

reef wrote: 3 months ago Venning that huge load inside hurt us bad last night , more than he should have !
I don’t know for sure but I thought Fou actually played Venning really well and was shocked when Archie took him out and Venning went wild on us to end the half. Fou got Pt against their other big Brown in 2nd half blowout and I didn’t think he played Brown all that well.

Just another CYO take.

Get them ready for dayton Archie!

GO RHODY!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

brady1 wrote: 3 months ago
reef wrote: 3 months ago Venning that huge load inside hurt us bad last night , more than he should have !
I don’t know for sure but I thought Fou actually played Venning really well and was shocked when Archie took him out and Venning went wild on us to end the half. Fou got Pt against their other big Brown in 2nd half blowout and I didn’t think he played Brown all that well.

Just another CYO take.

Get them ready for dayton Archie!

GO RHODY!
Fou was by far more comfortable in that game.

Seems like whenever Fuchs and Brown are struggling Fou comes out doing better than both.

I wonder if Fou didn't have so many bonehead plays he'd get more run. If he didn't take ill-advised shots and take the ball coast to coast Arch probably trusts him more.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Don't know just asking.

Also with bad weather forecasted for tomorrow, not sure how that will affect travel conditions.

Yes. Charter flights leave after the game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Late game in way upstate NY to turn around and play an early game in Ohio on Saturday.
It makes too much sense to have gone straight to Ohio.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Late game in way upstate NY to turn around and play an early game in Ohio on Saturday.
It makes too much sense to have gone straight to Ohio.
It's about an hour and a half flight to Dayton. They could leave on Saturday morning like 6am and get there before 8am.
0 x