1/9 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/9 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

And all of them (crosses fingers) could come back next year. I hope they have the NIL dollars ready for Fuchs and Cam bc there will be suitors.
Gotta say BAR I was thinking the same. Team finally coming together and young. Solid recruits coming in next year. Any exodus of key players would not be good.
If the team is good and there is stability with the staff, there will not be a mass exodus. There could always be one guy that leaves for his own reasons, and in many cases there really wouldn’t be anything we could do about that. But I wouldn’t worry too much about losing everyone if the team finishes the season strong and expects to be very competitive next season.
This years portal will be interesting to watch
No Sit Out Penalty for anyone now. Every player, Grad or Undergrad will be an unrestricted Free Agent
NIL is continuing to crank up at all programs
Portal has settled around 1,800 past few years - will it go higher with no restrictions?
Coaching changes will be affected. Coaches leaving whether fired or take another job can easily take his/her players to new destination
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

Gotta say BAR I was thinking the same. Team finally coming together and young. Solid recruits coming in next year. Any exodus of key players would not be good.
If the team is good and there is stability with the staff, there will not be a mass exodus. There could always be one guy that leaves for his own reasons, and in many cases there really wouldn’t be anything we could do about that. But I wouldn’t worry too much about losing everyone if the team finishes the season strong and expects to be very competitive next season.
No Sit Out Penalty for anyone now. Every player, Grad or Undergrad will be an unrestricted Free Agent
Portal has settled around 1,800 past few years - will it go higher with no restrictions?
Coaching changes will be affected. Coaches leaving whether fired or take another job can easily take his/her players to new destination
How many players go unclaimed? How many wind up in lesser situations?

The no sit out may have an adverse affect because it’s easier for guys to be recruited over so maybe they decide to stay put.

When it comes to money how many more years do the deep pocket donors have of throwing money away at guys who can only stay a year and don’t guarantee them a return on that investment?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

The no sit out may have an adverse affect because it’s easier for guys to be recruited over so maybe they decide to stay put.

When it comes to money how many more years do the deep pocket donors have of throwing money away at guys who can only stay a year and don’t guarantee them a return on that investment?
So you think the pace will slow down? Stay the same?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

i think it will increase.

now you have to recruit HS kids, kids from other programs, and you need to recruit guys already on your roster again.
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I just checked the forecast. No losses in sight
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think it'll slow down. These individual big money donors (because that's what most collectives are), have been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last few years on players.

From what I could find (and keep in mind everything is private, and most of what you see in public is a manufactured number put out there by agents/managers/hangers on/family members to artificially create a market for these players), Big East players average $75k per year in NIL. So if you want a top player - you're going to throw $150-300k lets say.

If you're a big money donor who has that kind of money to burn, what happens after a year or two when you've spent $500k or so on some players. The market is in a downturn, and the team you "bought" didn't win you a title. Or get you a final four. Or even make the tournament last year (UK and UNC).

The players you've bought have either graduated or transferred out because you couldn't sign them to a long term contract.

You can't write off that money because NIL isn't a charitable expense.

Are you going to keep making those investments?
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
The Dude wrote: 3 months ago I'm pleased with the win, but will not be jumping on this emotional roller coaster just yet. Win the next two games & this bandwagon can pick me back up in Pitsville, on it's way to Glory City.
I look at it this way. If we split Umass and Bonnies and lose at Dayton I love our chances to finish top 5 in the A10. The schedule gets much easier. I agree we need to take this game by game because I could easily see us lose to Umass, Bonnies, Dayton but if we stay healthy teams are going to have a very tough time beating us. Umass is very good. In my opinion they are going to be much tougher to beat than our first two games. I know people were high on st joes but when you have a bad coach like Lange you end up losing games you shouldn’t. They are now 0-2 in the A10…Frank Martin is a much better coach. I have a feeling we lose to UMass and beat the Bonnie’s but I hate UMass so I really hope I’m wrong.
Stevey, in BlueMan’s streaking question I went with a win against UMass and a loss at Bona - mainly because we are home against UMass, are playing well with Green on board and our confidence is growing. However, that choice was heart driven.

UMass will be a very difficult matchup for us. We will need to play our best basketball to date in all phases - offense, D, free throws, turnovers, rebounding. We will be very fortunate to escape with a win.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree that UMASS will be a tough win because of the way the rebound . They gave dayton a hard time in Dayton , though tghe outcome probably
was not in doubt . must stop the silly turnovers and shoot free throws better which they have been doing at home.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

All I can say about the no sit rule is, look at the football team. They are dealing with 100% no sit, free-for-all right now for the first time, and they seem to be getting better, not worse. If you look at the players going and the players coming in, they have easily brought in more talent. The key was also Pena declaring for the portal and then changing his mind and deciding to stay, which was huge. It would be like if Leggett had done that last year for bb. He's that important to that team.

So, yeah, it could suck, but it doesn't have to. Water will find it's level. So that's why, the future has to be now. Never put off winning games now in favor of winning games later. Because each game won, is one more win on the final record, could mean attracting better talent during the free agency portal period.

In Football's case, players see: they have a better record, are more consistent, win big games, are always flirting with a playoff berth, are improving their facilities, are going to basically get a new stadium in two years, and are sending more people to NFL combines, sending more people to the NFL, and have become a stepping stone for the truly elite players to showcase their talent and possibly land on a top 20 FBS team...

... and ALL of that, combined, has lead to the gains on the recruiting trail we are seeing now.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think it'll slow down. These individual big money donors (because that's what most collectives are), have been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last few years on players.

From what I could find (and keep in mind everything is private, and most of what you see in public is a manufactured number put out there by agents/managers/hangers on/family members to artificially create a market for these players), Big East players average $75k per year in NIL. So if you want a top player - you're going to throw $150-300k lets say.

If you're a big money donor who has that kind of money to burn, what happens after a year or two when you've spent $500k or so on some players. The market is in a downturn, and the team you "bought" didn't win you a title. Or get you a final four. Or even make the tournament last year (UK and UNC).

The players you've bought have either graduated or transferred out because you couldn't sign them to a long term contract.

You can't write off that money because NIL isn't a charitable expense.

Are you going to keep making those investments?
One reason why transferring will definitely slow down. We're nearing the end of the players who have extra Covid eligibility. A lot of transferring happened because there were almost too many players available compared to roster spots. That's going to change in the next year or two and then you're going to see things come back to normal a little more.

One reason why transferring might slow down. The no sit out ever rule definitely going away is only through this academic year while the full court case is pending. If I had to guess I'd think no sit ever is here to stay but maybe the NCAA wins the court case or they're given guidelines they can use to deny immediate eligibility in the future
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines