1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Joseph’s University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, January 3, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Saint Joseph’s Fan Forum

Happy 2024!! The Rams are hoping that the new year will bring some new success. After losing five in a row, Rhody closed out 2023 with a home win against Northeastern. A big part of that win was transfer David Green who was finally eligible & healthy enough to play. Ram fans couldn’t have asked for a bigger coming out party from Green who scored 15 points on just 6 of 10 shooting. Throw in very solid games from both House & Cam as well as Fuch’s double double, the Rams were able to put an end to a painful losing streak.

2024 now brings conference play as University of Rhode Island will open up at home against Saint Joseph’s. The Hawks who were picked 5th in the A10 preseason polls, come in with a 10-3 record. They already have two quad 1 wins on the season, including a double digit win at a then ranked Villanova. Their only quad 1 loss came in overtime at Kentucky. Preseason All-Conference First Team guard Erik Reynolds is leading the Hawks in scoring at 17 points per game. He has scored in double-digits every game this season & he has the most three points made on the team as well. Although they start 2 forwards, the Hawks play primarily with a 4-guard lineup. The other three starting guards on this team as well as the sixth man guard off the bench are all averaging 11 points per game. Sophomore forward Rasheer Fleming is averaging 11.9 points per game & a team high 7.2 rebounds per game. Cameron Brown, Preseason All-Conference Third Team guard is averaging 11.8 points per game. The remaining two guards averaging 11 per game are Lynn Greer III & Xzayvier Brown.

The Rams shook up the starting lineup last game & it seemed to work. Cam slid into the starting lineup over Kortright. Kortright still saw most of the minutes as Always started each half but played sparingly after that. And obviously Green was a big spark coming off the bench. The Rams probably played their most complete game of the season & easily their best play since the second half of the Yale game. The Rams will be tested Wednesday night. The Hawks like to shoot the three ball & unfortunately the Rams are 300+ in three-point percentage defense (while Saint Joseph’s is 55th in the country). It seems like Rhody will give up a wide open three on many possessions, many times to the other team’s best player. That can’t happen on Wednesday if they expect to get the win. No one on Rhody has more than 15 made threes while there are 4 players on the Hawks who have 15 or more. Of their 4 players, all but Fleming are shooting it at 40% or higher. Cam is the only one on the Rams who is shooting it at that clip. I think the Hawks will just be too much for the Rams Wednesday night. My prediction, Saint Joseph’s 75 – URI 66. Happy New Year & Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
10-3, 0-0 in the A10
16-17, 8-10 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 54 (235)
RPI: 87 (203)
KenPom: 72 (225)
BPI: 65 (237)
Barttovik: 58 (189)

Leaders:
Points – Erik Reynolds II 17.1 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Rasheer Fleming 7.2 (Soph., F)
Assists – Lynn Greer III 4.5 (Jr., F) (2.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 50-59
H: 28-23, A: 20-33, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 2/1/23 64-50 L at Saint Joseph’s
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Saint Joseph’s
Match-up Predictor: 22.6% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Feel like St Joes is a terrible matchup given how bad rhodys three point defense has been. Rooting for a shocking upset and pissing off A10 fans tho
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just comparing the 2 teams it is very obvious to see that St. Joe's is significantly better than us.
The are just more talented at this time, have several scoring threats, along with having the best player on the court in Reynolds.
They can go big or small depending upon the situation, giving them quality options.

Being at the RC helps plus we now have the Green factor.
Let's see how much of a difference DG makes now that we are starting conference play.
Archie has tweaked the starting line-up around, maybe that helps.
Also coming off Saturday's win may give the team a little much needed momentum going forward.
We will see tomorrow night.

Hoping for an upset victory.
Go Rhody.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Freshman Shawn Simmons with the ESPN #3 Play of the Day last game vs Loyola Maryland blow out win

Simmons is talented but tough getting minutes with the veteran St Joe starters

In the St Joseph's win over Iona at UBS Arena (following the URI-Delaware Game) Shawn Simmons II walked by several of us sitting close the court as St Joe guards were brining the ball up the court and said straight to us "you guys watch this one". The play didn't materialize but shows how Simmons is a character and loaded with confidence. Simmons is fun to watch. St Joseph's had a solid Freshman Class.

Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has; #214, #15 A-10 Rams with 27% chance to beat #81 Joes.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Anything can happen.

I think the rankings are completely pointless as it pertains to us because of David Green.

While one player usually wouldn't make a difference that much, Green allows us to play in a way that no one else at the 4 has all season.

We've either been too slow (Fuchs), too small (Weston), or too poor defensively overall (Zek).

Green is a revelation, and allows a scoring punch we haven't had at the 4. It frees everyone else up, and there's not a lot of tape on him so Lange/St Joes will have to figure Green out on the fly.

It's a new season fellas. Lets GO!
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Joseph's with a 54 NET is the best team we will see this season at the Ryan Center this season.
We visit Dayton 25 NET
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Winning this game will restore some hope for me. I know we have pieces, but eventually you need to win.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watched Arch presser and he’s impressed with Joes returning 12 guys , this is a tough one for us and we lose 73-65
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Winning this game will restore some hope for me. I know we have pieces, but eventually you need to win.
Would be an incredible win
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Winning this game will restore some hope for me. I know we have pieces, but eventually you need to win.
Agreed , Arch in the presser talked about home much league has improved over last year and says the same things we been saying Dayton has the resume as of now and Joes is very close

Also he mentioned teams need to get to 14-4 conf record to feel good 13-5 may not cut it
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Only way we win is if Bilau is healthy, plays more minutes than any other big and Brown doesn't see the floor.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago
Agreed , Arch in the presser talked about home much league has improved over last year and says the same things we been saying Dayton has the resume as of now and Joes is very close

Also he mentioned teams need to get to 14-4 conf record to feel good 13-5 may not cut it
Yeah St Joe's is an NCAA level team. That commerce loss is crushing, but since then they've beaten Princeton, Villanova and took UK to OT at Rupp. They are maybe the most elite offensive team we will face all year. Their guards are extremely hard to guard and everyone on the floor can hit threes.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I've been relatively quiet in the stands. I couldn't get up to plead the guys to beat CCSU or Northeastern. I will be vocal this game. Any lapse and I'm on them. :D
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago Only way we win is if Bilau is healthy, plays more minutes than any other big and Brown doesn't see the floor.
Fuchs was our best big man against Northeastern, and he's basically averaging a double-double (9ppg/9rbs) in the 5 games he's played since Mohegan. We can still win if he gets the most minutes at the 5.

I think the difference will be how we defend the 3. This team can get red hot. We need the team to be locked in on D for 40 minutes. If we have one of our terrible slumps for 10 minutes, St. Joe's will take a big lead and never look back. Keep it close and pressure them to win it late, and let's see what happens!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I just see the one guard averaging 17 and the other guard is 6' 6" averaging 12/5, and think, 'that's not helpful'
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

"taking care of the ball in transition"...those are the most frustrating turnovers. You make a stop, grab a rebound, or make a steal, and then turn it over in transition. Been too many of those.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago Only way we win is if Bilau is healthy, plays more minutes than any other big and Brown doesn't see the floor.
Fuchs was our best big man against Northeastern, and he's basically averaging a double-double (9ppg/9rbs) in the 5 games he's played since Mohegan. We can still win if he gets the most minutes at the 5.

I think the difference will be how we defend the 3. This team can get red hot. We need the team to be locked in on D for 40 minutes. If we have one of our terrible slumps for 10 minutes, St. Joe's will take a big lead and never look back. Keep it close and pressure them to win it late, and let's see what happens!
Im sure Fuchs will do fine, but I don't think we can win without Bilau getting significant minutes. We need his basketball IQ, skill and athleticism for this one.

Or at least put Fou in for Brown if Bilau can barely go.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Free Fou?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bilau hasn't surpassed 20 minutes since 2022, and he got hurt again after / during the Charleston game. (Can't remember which.) At this point, I kind of think he's going to be relegated to a bench role or spot duty, like the 4-minute shift he had the other night, because you can't really count on him to be in the regular rotation.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 months ago
Bilau hasn't surpassed 20 minutes since 2022, and he got hurt again after / during the Charleston game. (Can't remember which.) At this point, I kind of think he's going to be relegated to a bench role or spot duty, like the 4-minute shift he had the other night, because you can't really count on him to be in the regular rotation.
There's that...plus, Fuchs is just better.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, not sure we can ever really count on Bilau for substantial court time, he certainly has shown it in these past 4 years.
At this point, I would rather see most of the minutes upfront go to Fuchs and Foumena because I think they are our future, at least I hope so.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Not true lol. If Joe is healthy enough to play 20 a game he would be getting those minutes
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago

Not true lol. If Joe is healthy enough to play 20 a game he would be getting those minutes
Maybe, maybe not.
Pretty big "if" since Bilau has yet to prove he can be durable enough to stay on the court.

I am not so convinced about Bilau as being a better option, since we have seen such a small sample size of him.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

Maybe, maybe not.
Pretty big "if" since Bilau has yet to prove he can be durable enough to stay on the court.

I am not so convinced about Bilau as being a better option, since we have seen such a small sample size of him.
I think injuries are an issue with both Bilau and Green. In his fourth season of playing college basketball Green has never played more than 23 minutes in a game and has had an injury history in the past. Bilau looks to be a guy that will be very serviceable, but you may be looking at more of a 17 minute a night guy. In terms of Green the fact that he played 21 minutes his first game back is a good sign. Some of his lack of time at Louisiana Tech and Hofstra might have been injuries and I guess he was behind other players that were better meaning he must have made a significant leap coming off his injury at Louisiana Tech
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 3 months ago

Maybe, maybe not.

I think injuries are an issue with both Bilau and Green. In his fourth season of playing college basketball Green has never played more than 23 minutes in a game and has had an injury history in the past. Bilau looks to be a guy that will be very serviceable, but you may be looking at more of a 17 minute a night guy. In terms of Green the fact that he played 21 minutes his first game back is a good sign. Some of his lack of time at Louisiana Tech and Hofstra might have been injuries and I guess he was behind other players that were better meaning he must have made a significant leap coming off his injury at Louisiana Tech
You can also add Weston to that list of players that have had ongoing injury issues.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KenPom gives the #224 (#235 NET) Rams a 26% chance of beating the #72 (#55 NET) Hawks, with a projected final of 76-68.

Massey Ratings gives the #206 Rams a 44% chance of beating the #90 Hawks, with a projected final of 71-69
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Need the hot hand from 3 tonight. And CONSISTENT FTs!!!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I really don’t think it’s a talent issue. There’s more talent on this team now than at any point in the last 4 years.

It’s been a motivation/confidence issue.

I have a feeling (or hope) that the win last time out coupled with the fresh start/new season of conference play, is going to bode well for us.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billy Lange should've been fired 1/3rd of the way into his second season? Or certainly his 3rd season? Or was it his 4th season?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Maybe, maybe not.

Pretty sure his knee was just sore from his ACL. That happens when you're coming back from that injury. I think Arch wanted to rest him for another game, but felt like he had to put him in there in the second half when NE made a run. There's a reason why he went in at that time.

He's clearly our best big man without question.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago Billy Lange should've been fired 1/3rd of the way into his second season? Or certainly his 3rd season? Or was it his 4th season?
I would have to imagine it's ncaa's or bust for him this year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago Billy Lange should've been fired 1/3rd of the way into his second season? Or certainly his 3rd season? Or was it his 4th season?
Based on what?

Lange has been attracting good freshmen since he arrived, roster got crushed when Martelli got fired so it was like starting over as is often the case for mid majors after a firing.
Lange has retained players and this season kept all eligible returnees plus a strong incoming freshman class. He got Lynn Greer II to transfer back home to Philly from Dayton.

Last year in the A10 Tournament Lange and St Joseph’s impressed.
Game 1 10-seed SJ beat 15-seed Loyola 72-67. All 7 who played that game return this year. Greer double-double 22P/10R

Game 2 10-seed SJ upset 7-seed GW 87-76. 7 players saw minutes again. Erik Reynolds II 34P/6R/4A/1TO played all 40 min. Rasheer Fleming 12P/8R/3S

Game 3 SJ lost to 2-seed Dayton 60-54. With 37 seconds left Dayton led 57-54. SJ was forced to foul. Toumani Camara with a big game 39M, 5-11 FG, 3-4 3P, 4-6 FT for 17P, 18R, 3A, 4S, 2TO. Camara left a tear early drafted 2nd round, traded, now starting for Portland NBA just had his first double-double. Only Holmes and Brea playing this year from that team.

Lange was impressive coaching and SJ was impressive playing in last years A10 Tourney.
Possible that St Joseph’s wins the A10. Dayton getting picked by Bracketologists early.

Watched live St Joseph’s vs Iona in UBS Arena immediately following the URI-Delaware game. Game played at a faster pace with much stronger/ aggressive defense than in the URI-Delaware game.

Consider Xzayvier Brown is just a Freshman and quickly improving.

SJ has guards who shoot 3P well:
5th in A10 Xzayvier Brown 22-46=47.8%
16th in A10 Erik Reynolds II 45-109=41.3%
21st in A10 Cameron Brown 38-94=40.4%

Also FT:
6th in A10 Erik Reynolds II 39-44=88.6%
10th in A10 Lynn Greer III 43-51=84.3%

On defense 3 guys in Top 25. URI has none:
8th in A10 Xzayvier Brown 20 steals 1.5pg
16th in A10 Lynn Greer III 18 steals 1.4pg
22nd in A10 Cameron Brown 16 steals 1.2pg
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This site has St Joseph’s 4th team out, with rating from various sites. Strength of OOC Schedule and A10 Schedule is an obstacle to overcome
IMG_1757.png
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Im sure Fuchs will do fine, but I don't think we can win without Bilau getting significant minutes. We need his basketball IQ, skill and athleticism for this one.

Or at least put Fou in for Brown if Bilau can barely go.
I guess I've accepted that he will never be a full-time starter, so I'm more focused on Fuchs and Fou developing. But when Bilau plays, he's probably our best big man.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is Bracketology showing results from 41 Bracketologists.

All 41 have Dayton in
3 have St Joseph’s in
1 has St Bonaventure in
Basically meaning Dayton gets beat by SJ or SB in A10 Championship and then Dayton goes as an AL Selection

Fwiw I personally think St Joseph’s is a better team than Dayton. Dayton lost Camara to the NBA, Amzil transferred to New Mexico, Sharamjvents transferred to San Francisco, Blakney transferred to Old Dominion and Malachi Smith is out injured. Santos has been a very good replacement for Camara. St Joseph’s has everyone back plus some strong freshmen.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

All 41 have Dayton in
3 have St Joseph’s in
1 has St Bonaventure in
Basically meaning Dayton gets beat by SJ or SB in A10 Championship and then Dayton goes as an AL Selection

Too soon
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Maybe, maybe not.

Pretty sure his knee was just sore from his ACL. That happens when you're coming back from that injury. I think Arch wanted to rest him for another game, but felt like he had to put him in there in the second half when NE made a run. There's a reason why he went in at that time.

As long as he can stay on the court without getting hurt.
Not helping us if he is unable to play.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't think it's clear at all...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All 41 have Dayton in
3 have St Joseph’s in
1 has St Bonaventure in

Too soon
Sure it is. Just showing where St Joseph’s stands so far.

A win tonight by URI would be very telling for Archie Miller and Team. St Joseph’s is very likely the best team we will play in the Ryan Center this season.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think it's clear at all...
Neither do I. Fuchs is our best Big Man.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. Fuchs is better.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for posting Stevey. Interesting listen over the 18 minutes.

Miller talked about how David and David improve the team, make it a different, better team

Miller said he would be reducing the rotation to 7 or 8 players. 1st time I'd heard him say 7 players as a possibility. Miller said while players have been out injured that others had opportunities to prove themselves. They either did or they didn't during that window of time was the gist of what he was saying.

Mentioned the less than stellar play of some guys and used Montgomery as an example. He said Montgomery had to do some things playing out of position but now with Fuchs and Green he could go back - I am paraphrasing so may not be exactly right.

Miller talked about St Joseph's and Dayton and how they could represent 2 teams that go to the NCAA Tiournament. He is very impressed by St Joseph's.

I go t the feeling that Miller really means business now. (not that he didn't before but I think he believes he has more talent than last year and he means business in taking this group as far as it can go)
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the ARCH-itect is locked in

RHODY WINS !
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Agree. Fuchs is better.
If they are both healthy, I don't think Fuchs is better yet. I think he definitely will be eventually. Likely by next year.. Bilau is more developed on the offensive end and is a better defender at this stage. But it's very close. Once Fuchs improves his speed and develops a decent midrange and, hopefully, a decent 3-point shot, he's going to be a very tough player to play against. He already has a nice touch around the hoop and is a very good rebounder for a freshman. His IQ and his lack of speed have caused some issues against bigs.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maybe, maybe not.

The best ability is availability
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

ST. Joes has not won a game outside of the Philadelphia area having played only two games not in Philly and losing to both Charleston and Kentucky in those two games .
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

From afar, I kind of thought he was the new Matt McCall (UMass), in that there was a lot of emphasis on how awesome next year's recruiting class was going to be. However, he's done a much better job of retaining and developing players, and that's borne fruit through the OOC schedule.

The only caveat I'd give is that their schedule strength by KenPom this year is currently 327, and 268 by Sports Reference. Their overall ranking on KenPom (72) suggests that they're more "real" than Fordham was last year though. They've been beating the crap out of the bad teams, and their three losses (one in OT) are by a combined 18 points.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Correction : The Hawks did win a neutral site game against Iona at Elmont NY .
1 x