12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Northeastern University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, December 30, 2023
1:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Northeastern Fan Forum
Another Northeastern Fan Forum

Rhody fans woke up Christmas morning with coal in their stockings, at least I hope that was coal, as this Rams teams has severely struggled over the past month. Hopefully the holiday break has helped this team as they close out the out of conference slate of games and close out 2023 with a home game against Northeastern. The good news is, Rhode Island is 42-1 all time at home against Northeastern. The bad news is they were 46-1 since 1935 at home against New Hampshire, and we all know how that played out.

Northeastern will be the third CAA team the Rams face this season, losing to both Charleston & Delaware. Preseason polls had Northeastern picked 7th out of 14 teams. Northeastern’s coach Bill Coen has Rhody connections as he was a former assistant coach at URI under Al Skinner in the 90s. He enters his 18th season at the helm & is the Huskies all time winningest coach with roughly 275 wins. The Huskies come into this matchup at just 5-7 but they did play #22 Virginia quite well, only losing by 2 in Charlottesville. Rhody will be the second A-10 team they have faced in the nonconference schedule as they lost by 5 at La Salle.

On the court they are led by sixth year senior forward Chris Doherty. This former Notre Dame transfer leads the team in all 3 major categories, 12.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, & 2.8 assists per game. He is the lone big man in the starting lineup as the Huskies start four guards alongside of him. The Huskies have two other double-digit scorers on this team, Harvard transfer Luka Sakota at 11.2 & sophomore guard Masai Troutman at 10.2 points per game. Jared Turner is Northeastern’s biggest three-point threat. He has 30 made threes on the season, which is more than double than anyone on Rhode Island. He is also shooting it at almost 42% on the year.

As for the Rams, well, they are not very good right now. Do they shake things up & change the starting lineup? Is Fuchs back & does he start over Tyson Brown? Does Foumena slide into that starting roll to ease Fuchs back into game shape? How do they free-up Cam to find some in rhythm three point attempts? Can Weston become a productive player off the bench as he is just 4 for 16 over his last 4 games. Whatever it is, the Rams just need to get a win before conference play.

Once again, the Rams have a real chance of losing to a team that they have dominated for over 100 years. That is where things have become for this Rams program. The last time these teams played 13 years ago, Delroy James went for 25 & 10 in the road win. Can Zek channel his inner Delroy and put-up similar numbers that lead the Rams to victory? God, I hope so. Please close out 2023 with a win. My prediction, URI 73 – Northeastern 72. Happy Holidays & Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
5-7, 0-0 in the CAA
10-20, 6-12 in the CAA (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 160 (252)
RPI: 146 (211)
KenPom: 172 (235)
BPI: 173 (247)
Barttovik: 183 (196)

Leaders:
Points – Chris Doherty 12.7 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Chris Doherty 7.1 (Sr., F)
Assists – Chris Doherty 2.8 (Sr., F) (2.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 72-7
H: 42-1, A: 30-6, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/8/10 79-67 W at Northeastern
Most Recent Win Streak: 14 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 50.3% Chance of URI Winning
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ZzzzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz

this schedule blowssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks again Spooky for keeping up, can't be enjoyable right now.

Their other starter is (G)Joe Pridgen averaging 9.5 pts/5.7 rebs.
Even though they list only 1 forward starter, I wouldn't consider their line-up super small.
Their guards and wings all have length: Pridgen (6'5"/227), Troutman (6'6"), Sakota (6'6"), Turner (6'8"), Doherty (6'7"/236).

Northeastern does seem to have balanced scoring with 6 players averaging over 9.0 points/game.

We should win this game at home (said that before) but it won't be easy.
A much need victory here to get ready for conference play.
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Thanks again Spooky for keeping up, can't be enjoyable right now.

Even though they list only 1 forward starter, I wouldn't consider their line-up super small.
Their guards and wings all have length: Pridgen (6'5"/227), Troutman (6'6"), Sakota (6'6"), Turner (6'8"), Doherty (6'7"/236).

Northeastern does seem to have balanced scoring with 6 players averaging over 9.0 points/game.

I'm curious as to why URI should win this game? Just so there's no confusion, I'm not stirring the pot. Obviously, when they played Johnson & Wales, that's pretty obvious that they should win on sheer talent. But in my uneducated opinion, I don't think URI should win most games based on the facts that:

1. Talent level between URI and most opponents is pretty equal
2. URI's team is struggling to execute what the coach wants, on both ends
3. Chemistry with a team loaded with transfers makes on court product inconsistent
4. Home court advantage is not that advantageous

I don't think URI is a program where you can just roll the balls out and say the Rams should win. Am I off base?
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Thanks again Spooky for keeping up, can't be enjoyable right now.

I'm curious as to why URI should win this game? Just so there's no confusion, I'm not stirring the pot. Obviously, when they played Johnson & Wales, that's pretty obvious that they should win on sheer talent. But in my uneducated opinion, I don't think URI should win most games based on the facts that:

3. Chemistry with a team loaded with transfers makes on court product inconsistent

I don't think URI is a program where you can just roll the balls out and say the Rams should win. Am I off base?
WAAAAYYYYY off base. URI is 72-7 against NE. This game shouldn't even be on the schedule.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

this game should have been the first game of the season as a warm up not the last game before conf play. The rotation and playing time should already be in place.
And we are talking about this being a tough game at home
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody will end up being favored at home against Northeastern.
Both teams come in with the same 5-7 record but need to give Archie and us the edge here.
I would also like to think that our team, even though we are underperforming, is still more talented than them.

Just my opinion but I can't see us losing to Brown, UNH, and now Northeastern at the RC in the same year.
I seriously doubt that will happen.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Shoulda beat ccsu, wagner & Fairfield by a combined 100 pts.
Didn’t. Didn’t even cover 11.5 v ccsu after being up by 28-ish.

Shouldn’t have gotten blown out by northwestern.
Or Washington state.

Shouldn’t have scheduled jwu.
Shouldn’t have lost 99 out of the last 100 vs pc.
Shouldn’t have lost the last three to brown.

(On a side note, i for one shouldn’t have laughed at the brown line. At least i learned my lesson and didn’t laugh at the unh line.)

When the metrics say northeastern is a toss-up, there is obviously a reason…

I’m hoping we can somehow, someway pull this game out and not go oh-for-December.
And then somehow finish better than 14th in the league.

We should at least be competitive against teams like Charleston and Delaware. But we’re not there yet. It’s all part of the process, and you have to trust that Arch and Thorr know what they’re doing.

Hopefully they won’t need to apologize anymore.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

if we lose this game or its close does it mean we are not that good or too many injuries or something else..
Can this team be good if everyone is healthy....I believe that is a big question
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 4 months ago if we lose this game or its close does it mean we are not that good or too many injuries or something else..
Can this team be good if everyone is healthy....I believe that is a big question
The team has a NET of 252. If we win or lose, this team sucks.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Their NET is 160 much better than ours so sounds like a toss up
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 months ago Their NET is 160 much better than ours so sounds like a toss up
Delaware NET=140, so Northeastern is not far off at 160.
This will be Northeastern’s 8th Road Game

Should be a smaller URI home crowd than normal.

With URI’s NET=252 this game could go either way.
IMG_1622.jpeg
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URI has a NET of 252. That is some suck ass team. I like Archie as our coach, but this team sucks this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

Both teams come in with the same 5-7 record but need to give Archie and us the edge here.
I would also like to think that our team, even though we are underperforming, is still more talented than them.

Just my opinion but I can't see us losing to Brown, UNH, and now Northeastern at the RC in the same year.
This is your opinion that we are underperforming and that we are more talented than Northeastern. Maybe you are overrating this team and they really aren’t better than Northeastern.

Ultimately you are what your record says you are.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 months ago Their NET is 160 much better than ours so sounds like a toss up
Reef,

Look at this performance vs Point Spreads.
Doesn’t list Delaware but we lost that one too.

Since Mid November the only Point Spread we won was the Yale Game. Lost all the rest.

IMG_1623.jpeg
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Remember when people used to groan when the team missed free throws?????? Now the crowd laughs.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On the plus side, I do spend more time talking to my wife during the games than I ever did.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At a recent game a guy got up a few rows in front of me and said quite loudly “I’ve had enough of this” and walked up the stairs.
It’s not good in the Ryan Center from what I hear and observe regardless of what some seem to believe here.
Even with low attendance and no real need to leave early to beat traffic people are still leaving games early.

Hopefully Conference play improves.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I tell my wife if we are down by 10 at halftime we are leaving. That's how bad this team is.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

This is your opinion that we are underperforming and that we are more talented than Northeastern. Maybe you are overrating this team and they really aren’t better than Northeastern.

IMO, yes I feel we are better than them.

Maybe on Saturday I will change my mind.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago At a recent game a guy got up a few rows in front of me and said quite loudly “I’ve had enough of this” and walked up the stairs.
It’s not good in the Ryan Center from what I hear and observe regardless of what some seem to believe here.
Even with low attendance and no real need to leave early to beat traffic people are still leaving games early.

I need to ask my friend why he does that...leaves the games early, even tho no crowds or traffic. Great question. But, if he says, "why should I stay?", um, what should I tell him?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think I could go down to Mackal, grab the 10 best and lose to UNH by 20. So what is URI getting for the investment in Archie and facilities exactly?
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s part of the reason you and others here are so disappointed.
I would be too if I had high expectations going into this season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster remember early on, I was the one who never had high expectations this season.
I was being cautious and pumped the brakes for 23-24.
My first and last prediction was that we would finish somewhere 8-12.
I was questioned why I didn't feel we would be in the top half of the conference.
I said I hoped I will be proved wrong.

Don't count me in with those who were drinking the Limoncello Kool-Aid.
Although I don't blame them for their optimism.
I also posted long ago how would those same posters grade Archie if we didn't meet their expectations this season.

But with all that, I am still disappointed.
I expected us to be better OOC and the losses to Brown and UNH were especially bad.
Even several of the other games, I expected us to look better.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ramster remember early on, I was the one who never had high expectations this season.
I was questioned why I didn't feel we would be in the top half of the conference.

I also posted long ago how would those same posters grade Archie if we didn't meet their expectations this season.

I expected us to be better OOC and the losses to Brown and UNH were especially bad.
Yup, you definitely did not have high expectations, Jersey. If I remember correctly, I think you and I had the same exact record for the prediction contest. We both predicted the team would finish around .500. That's not high expectations. Neither is expecting us to beat teams like Brown and New Hampshire at home. Losses like that are totally unacceptable.. No fan of ours should be okay with those types of losses at home in year 2. Most of us just wanted to see some improvement, which we did early on, but we seem to be regressing, which is a bad sign as that's usually due to coaching.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago

Yup, you definitely did not have high expectations, Jersey. If I remember correctly, I think you and I had the same exact record for the prediction contest. We both predicted the team would finish around .500. That's not high expectations. Neither is expecting us to beat teams like Brown and New Hampshire at home. Losses like that are totally unacceptable.. No fan of ours should be okay with those types of losses at home in year 2. Most of us just wanted to see some improvement, which we did early on, but we seem to be regressing, which is a bad sign as that's usually due to coaching.
Yes, cautious, agreed. My point is when you say "even though we are underperforming, is still more talented than them" at this point in the season you are still saying we are underperforming while I would say how do you know we are underperforming? And how do you know we are more talented than Northeastern?

While you may not be drinking the lemon-cello I'd be curious what makes you think we are underperforming and what you think will get us to performing as you expect? The NET and other ranking criteria do not show us to be more talented than Northeastern but we will know Saturday.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago

Yes, cautious, agreed. My point is when you say "even though we are underperforming, is still more talented than them" at this point in the season you are still saying we are underperforming while I would say how do you know we are underperforming? And how do you know we are more talented than Northeastern?

While you may not be drinking the lemon-cello I'd be curious what makes you think we are underperforming and what you think will get us to performing as you expect? The NET and other ranking criteria do not show us to be more talented than Northeastern but we will know Saturday.
At this point Ramster it is just my feeling that we have underperformed and that we are more talented than Northeastern.
Obviously I can't say for sure yet, but I do think this team is better than what they have shown.
At least I hope so and this isn't as good as it gets this season, or we are much further behind than I thought.
Hopefully things will only get better, but I am certainly not expecting miracles.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

WAAAAYYYYY off base. URI is 72-7 against NE. This game shouldn't even be on the schedule.
I don't think series record is relevant to my question. Why should THIS URI team win THIS game against THIS Northeastern team? I'm not talking about the other 72 URI teams who beat Northeastern. My four points are related to the 2023-24 Rams.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Remember we were up by 34 vs Fairfield?
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Remember we were up by 34 vs Fairfield?
Totally different team!

Surely they are in there somewhere???
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago ZzzzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz

Not sure I want a tougher schedule right now...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Reef,

Look at this performance vs Point Spreads.
Doesn’t list Delaware but we lost that one too.

Since Mid November the only Point Spread we won was the Yale Game. Lost all the rest.

IMG_1623.jpeg
Wow 1-7 ATS in the last 8 , people fading URI lately are raking in that cash !
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago ZzzzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz

Not sure I want a tougher schedule right now...
My pre season assessment of the team building confidence on alleged soft schedule and to use that into conference schedule. NOT
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sadly this post is spot in. We were better than Brown talent wise except for Lilly who would be our best player by far. At crunch time he took over. New Hampshire was better. 3 best players on the floor. Better coaching, better schemes.

This game with Northeastern might go down to the wire. Might be lots of empty seats. Can’t give tix away right now.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ROI with Archie is currently nonexistent.

Maybe some posters here think there will be a magic turnaround starting Saturday or in conference play.

I'm not one of them. Most of the A10 are better than Brown UNH and Delaware.

We will have our asses handed to us no doubt.

Archie had better shitcan the pack line and recruit his ass off for next season, because some of these guys need to go at the end of the season.

This years team is a lost cause. Next year has to be a lot better. It has to.

His coaching needs major improvement also. Like night and day.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How long can Archie live on his reputation to help get recruits?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago How long can Archie live on his reputation to help get recruits?
Are you under the impression he still is?
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What else does he have to sell? Playing time for a crappy team going nowhere? So I assume his rep is the only capital he has. Unless our NIL is going to step into the void and pay more than our “peer” institutions.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago How long can Archie live on his reputation to help get recruits?
Are you under the impression he still is?
The fumes from the Dayton tank are getting less and less
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 months ago I think I could go down to Mackal, grab the 10 best and lose to UNH by 20. So what is URI getting for the investment in Archie and facilities exactly?
I can tell you right now from playing in Mackal regularly. Most of the time the guys I run with have better chemistry than this team.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Someone said it in another thread, but the entitlement from this fanbase is really something else.

I must’ve missed it in my 3+ decades on earth, but when did we become some blue blood that just rolls the balls out and is expected to beat anyone?

In my decades of following the team, we’ve been good like 3 times for a 3 year period followed by a long time of suck.

We then invest a minimal amount, get impatient, and demand someone is fired. This happens because the majority of this fanbase thinks that some amount of money they’ve decided is “a lot” by their own standards, gets invested, and they expect an immediate ROI.

Newsflash. Rebuilds are not easy or quick. This fanbase should have experience there. Jim Baron “rebuilt” this program. It took a decade to nowhere. Dan Hurley actually rebuilt this program, it took 4 years - and most of the whiny cranky wheels here now, were similarly demanding he get fired into his 5th year when it was clear we were on our way to the top.

For some reason those same people kept saying that Dave Cox had a rebuild (he didn’t) and gave him a pass for 3 years.

Yet, not even 1.5 years through Archie’s rebuild, now the sins of the past administration are his and he should be allowed no time to clean up the mess.

Like transfers should immediately win - even though we have zero seniors on this team.

Dan Hurley’s UConn rebuild took years, a conference change, and fans complaining the whole way until he finally won their first tourney game in year 5.

I can’t help but go back to the Baron 2.0 thread, see the same posters saying the same thing, and laugh at the external Groundhog Day some of you find yourselves.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Maybe Ben Hammond will have some drag to have players come here?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago Someone said it in another thread, but the entitlement from this fanbase is really something else.

I must’ve missed it in my 3+ decades on earth, but when did we become some blue blood that just rolls the balls out and is expected to beat anyone?

In my decades of following the team, we’ve been good like 3 times for a 3 year period followed by a long time of suck.

We then invest a minimal amount, get impatient, and demand someone is fired. This happens because the majority of this fanbase thinks that some amount of money they’ve decided is “a lot” by their own standards, gets invested, and they expect an immediate ROI.

Newsflash. Rebuilds are not easy or quick. This fanbase should have experience there. Jim Baron “rebuilt” this program. It took a decade to nowhere. Dan Hurley actually rebuilt this program, it took 4 years - and most of the whiny cranky wheels here now, were similarly demanding he get fired into his 5th year when it was clear we were on our way to the top.

For some reason those same people kept saying that Dave Cox had a rebuild (he didn’t) and gave him a pass for 3 years.

Yet, not even 1.5 years through Archie’s rebuild, now the sins of the past administration are his and he should be allowed no time to clean up the mess.

Like transfers should immediately win - even though we have zero seniors on this team.

Dan Hurley’s UConn rebuild took years, a conference change, and fans complaining the whole way until he finally won their first tourney game in year 5.

I can’t help but go back to the Baron 2.0 thread, see the same posters saying the same thing, and laugh at the external Groundhog Day some of you find yourselves.
I'm not giving up on Archie. He deserves more time. But I'm going to give my honest opinion on each and every game. Lately, Archie hasn't been good enough, which he's admitted. I think we can expect to beat the likes of Brown, New Hampshire, and Northeastern while also having realistic expectations that this will take some time to rebuild. When you have really bad losses like we have had recently, it makes sense that fans are feeling concerned. I won't start to have real doubts unless guys like Fuchs and Cam leave. If they go and Archie can't keep his future key players, then we are screwed.

We have one of the hottest point guards in the country coming. I need that kid to be here ASAP and Archie to give him the reigns. Even if he has some growing pains.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I dont think it's a requirement that any new coach should take at least 4 to 5 years to build a solid program

In a way that's just another excuse in a long line of excuses.

Archie recruited a hodgepodge of lower level transfers and is finding out the hard way that it wasnt and isnt good enough.

Trying to put it all together and make it a cohesive team isnt happening and isnt close to happening.

With the new rules you can get good quicker than in the past when you needed to bring in freshmen and develop them over 3 to 4 years.

Only way now is to bring in better overall talent and adjust his system to fit that talent.

Right now it's a failure. Archie knows it. How much time will he have to fix it, is the question now.

Imo it's not forever. Patience is great, but another year of this, and that patience will have run out

Either major improvement next year, or its Archie Out.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

I don't think series record is relevant to my question. Why should THIS URI team win THIS game against THIS Northeastern team? I'm not talking about the other 72 URI teams who beat Northeastern. My four points are related to the 2023-24 Rams.
Ya, I mean, this is the problem... At least for me.. Obviously, this team doesn't have the talent we thought we had, and because of that, we are losing to low majors. The question shouldn't revolve around whether THIS team can defeat Northeastern. We all acknowledge that, currently, this team ranks among the worst in the country. The real question should be: how did we regress to a point where we're uncertain if we can win against the likes of Brown, New Hampshire, and Northeastern at home? Especially considering that just a month ago, many were confident we could compete or possibly defeat Northwestern? The team we saw earlier in the season wouldn't struggle against these lower-ranked teams. We need to rediscover that team. At least they were competitive.

As much as he gets hated on I think we looked better with Fuchs playing.. "
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we end up a .500 or so team this year and show improvement then we can say things are headed in the right direction.

If that continues into next year, then I doubt any of us will be calling for a coaching change.

Archie will be here for a while if that happens.

But we have to see it first.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago Someone said it in another thread, but the entitlement from this fanbase is really something else.

You are very talented at taking a minority opinion, that Archie is on the hot seat, and making it seem representative of a majority of the fanbase. What I glean from the majority on this message board, and the fan base in general, is that we hired a very good coach, there is a willingness to be patient, but to this point there is a lack of tangible progress. There isn't much to grab onto and get excited about.

Believing Archie can and will turn this around is not mutually exclusive with things are ugly right now. That's my exact sentiment at this point. I know Archie has the ability to build a championship program. Of course he can. He's done it. But feeling disappointed in where we are at after 21 months into the Archie Miller era is not entitlement.

If and when Archie turns this program around I expect he will say... I had to change x, y, and z. I had to adapt to the changing world of college basketball, etc. etc.

There are extreme viewpoints within every fanbase. Any call to fire Archie right now is extreme, agreed. But so is putting blinders on to the challenges within this program currently. I don't see the sentiment as entitlement, but as disappointment in the progress to date. Completely reasonable.
11 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RoadyJay wrote: 4 months ago

You are very talented at taking a minority opinion, that Archie is on the hot seat, and making it seem representative of a majority of the fanbase. What I glean from the majority on this message board, and the fan base in general, is that we hired a very good coach, there is a willingness to be patient, but to this point there is a lack of tangible progress. There isn't much to grab onto and get excited about.

Believing Archie can and will turn this around is not mutually exclusive with things are ugly right now. That's my exact sentiment at this point. I know Archie has the ability to build a championship program. Of course he can. He's done it. But feeling disappointed in where we are at after 21 months into the Archie Miller era is not entitlement.

If and when Archie turns this program around I expect he will say... I had to change x, y, and z. I had to adapt to the changing world of college basketball, etc. etc.

There are extreme viewpoints within every fanbase. Any call to fire Archie right now is extreme, agreed. But so is putting blinders on to the challenges within this program currently. I don't see the sentiment as entitlement, but as disappointment in the progress to date. Completely reasonable.
Then I hope the rational majority makes more posts like this so I don't have to read the same 4-5 posters losing their minds and posting enough that it reads like the majority.

I certainly don't think things are going great at all, and feel like you do. This is ugly and way far off from where I thought we'd be. But I have to take up the mantle to rationality so the board doesn't read like a generalized dumpster fire.

I'm glad this got you to post though - miss you xoxo :)
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago At a recent game a guy got up a few rows in front of me and said quite loudly “I’ve had enough of this” and walked up the stairs.

I need to ask my friend why he does that...leaves the games early, even tho no crowds or traffic. Great question. But, if he says, "why should I stay?", um, what should I tell him?
For the first time in 10 years, I almost left last game. It was painful to sit there and watch the dumpster fire that our team is looking like the last few games.

Why cant we have anything nice???
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would be cautious using David Cox as any sort of example of anything. I for one, was VERY vocal about not hiring David Cox, that hiring Hurley's top recruiter was a mistake and they should look elsewhere and find the best coach we could get. And that hiring him would be a complete waste of time, instead of trying to build on the momentum that Hurley left in his wake.

I had people saying I was absurd, they questioned whether I was a real fan, etc. Same old arguments: "we are going to lose the players, and we'll have to start from scratch" "a complete rebuild". Well, we are 5.5 years, later, you don't consider this a complete rebuild? We're still rebuilding. PC kept all of their best players, and took all the best players from George Mason too, and combined them into one super team. Because they hired the right guy.
0 x