12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: 12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Players thrive off a coaches emotions. Definitely worked with Dan. I saw Archie walk up to Zek I believe and was almost under the basket. Intense.
Players thrive off a coach's emotions? I didn't know that. Was that true with Dean Smith? John Wooden? Bob McKillop? Tony Bennett? Lute Olson? Al Skinner? (Tom Landry, Bill Belichick?)
The worst sideline maniac was a guy named Gerry Friel, who coached New Hampshire through the 70s and 80s. His record with all that emotion? 185-335.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago Seems like Weston has a lot going on. Could still be dinged up too.

Not giving up on him yet.

Happy New Year!
I would love to see Weston turn it around and be a solid part of the rotation, he has the skills.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Players thrive off a coaches emotions. Definitely worked with Dan. I saw Archie walk up to Zek I believe and was almost under the basket. Intense.
Players thrive off a coach's emotions? I didn't know that. Was that true with Dean Smith? John Wooden? Bob McKillop? Tony Bennett? Lute Olson? Al Skinner? (Tom Landry, Bill Belichick?)
The worst sideline maniac was a guy named Gerry Friel, who coached New Hampshire through the 70s and 80s. His record with all that emotion? 185-335.
I remember him!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago Seems like Weston has a lot going on. Could still be dinged up too.

Happy New Year!
I would love to see Weston turn it around and be a solid part of the rotation, he has the skills.
Yep. At the very least, Weston can play defense. This is very obvious when Weston comes in for Zek.

Zek seems like such a good athlete, yet, his defense is soooooooo lacking. Why?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago
ramster wrote: 3 months ago Weston also often complains about Referee Calls and lets that impact his emotional behavior. Others just take Referee calls calmly and without issue.
Weston has had opportunity and many on this board have maintained high expectations for him even to this point while others tend to get a significantly smaller window of patience. Weston is capable of hitting 4 straight 3P’s and show a lot of emotion after each successful attempt but he can also miss 4 straight and show a lot of emotion as well but dejected type emotion. He could do well at a lower level. Too much competition here now and just increased with Estevez and Wright gaining starting roles plus the eligibility of Green to be one of the 4 guards jeopardizes Weston’s minutes.
I don't know. I think about 90% of players bitch about calls. Look at LeBron and Tatum, two of NBA's best. They complain about every call and many young players who have looked up to LeBron since they were kids follow his lead.
I judge Weston in relation to the URI roster. He complains not only about referee calls but shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders and in general has poor body language when he returns to the bench. Also shakes his head when he misses a shot and lets missing the shot affect his defense intensity at times. I don’t see this or this type of behavior from others on the team.

I know I’m in the minority on Weston here, most have wanted him in the starting line up last year and again this year but he has never started a game in 1.5 seasons here, even with going to a 4 Guard line up Wright and Estevez have grabbed starting roles. With Green activated Weston gets pushed down to the
7th or 8th guard spot

Current Starting Guards:
Estevez
Wright
Montgomery
House

Current Sub Guards:
Green
Kortright
Dubsky
Weston
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 3 months ago

Happy New Year!
Yep. At the very least, Weston can play defense. This is very obvious when Weston comes in for Zek.

Because good defense is like kale? Really really good for you, but no one really likes it, or likes to get any on them?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Cam is very good. I'm glad Archie is playing him as a two guard because if Hammond is as good as some think, that is a pretty good backcourt next year. Still young, but not bad.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

Because good defense is like kale? Really really good for you, but no one really likes it, or likes to get any on them?
Many have been saying Weston has the skills, great shooter, great defense, good athlete, etc since he arrived here
Yet he couldn’t break into the starting line up even once last season that saw thus starting line up in the A10 Tournament;
Thomas
Leggett
Carey
Martin
Stewart

We got crushed by LaSalle 1st round

If Weston could not break past those 5 guys on a terrible team last year how is he going to start this season after not starting in 13 OOC Games?

Who would he replace from among PG’s Wright and Kortright? Weston is not a PG

Then Estevez, Montgomery, House, Green? Weston is not above any of those 4

Dubsky maybe? But even then Dubsky is just a freshman with potential.

As Miller said his roster will go to 8 it looks tough for Weston to get playing time.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

Many have been saying Weston has the skills, great shooter, great defense, good athlete, etc since he arrived here
Yet he couldn’t break into the starting line up even once last season that saw thus starting line up in the A10 Tournament;
Thomas
Leggett
Carey
Martin
Stewart

If Weston could not break past those 5 guys on a terrible team last year how is he going to start this season after not starting in 13 OOC Games?

As Miller said his roster will go to 8 it looks tough for Weston to get playing time.
That's why I said I hope he turns it around.
He does have skill as he has shown in flashes, but hasn't been able to do it on a consistent basis or maybe not giving his full effort in practice.
It could be mental still struggling with personal issues or not at 100% physically.
Don't know at this point just guessing, but he seems to be out of the rotation, at least for now.

I know when he first committed to Seton Hall he was thought to be a game changer and their highest ranked recruit since Whitehead.

Again that doesn't mean anything now, but if he can't get minutes on our team which is still considered on the bottom tier of the A10, then he isn't as good as many of us first thought.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Thomas
Leggett
Carey
Martin
Stewart

Weston is really only playing in his second season. Last year he was very raw... I think he will be a decent D1 player, but I don't think it will be with us. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out here. I heard he was very close to leaving this year but didn't want to sit again...I still don't understand why Archie didn't play him more last year, but this year, I understand why he does not see the floor much. He's better than Ways, but there is a much bigger need for a point guard, so Ways will be ahead of him on the rotation.. When you have players like Cam, Zek, House, and Green, it's going to be very tough for Weston to see the floor. If Zek continues regressing, I wouldn't mind seeing Weston play more, but I think Zek will get out of this funk.

I had such high hopes for Weston. It sucks that it hasn't seemed to click for him yet. We'll see what happens...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Weston also often complains about Referee Calls and lets that impact his emotional behavior. Others just take Referee calls calmly and without issue.
Weston has had opportunity and many on this board have maintained high expectations for him even to this point while others tend to get a significantly smaller window of patience. Weston is capable of hitting 4 straight 3P’s and show a lot of emotion after each successful attempt but he can also miss 4 straight and show a lot of emotion as well but dejected type emotion. He could do well at a lower level. Too much competition here now and just increased with Estevez and Wright gaining starting roles plus the eligibility of Green to be one of the 4 guards jeopardizes Weston’s minutes.
I don't know. I think about 90% of players bitch about calls. Look at LeBron and Tatum, two of NBA's best. They complain about every call and many young players who have looked up to LeBron since they were kids follow his lead.
I judge Weston in relation to the URI roster. He complains not only about referee calls but shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders and in general has poor body language when he returns to the bench. Also shakes his head when he misses a shot and lets missing the shot affect his defense intensity at times. I don’t see this or this type of behavior from others on the team.

I know I’m in the minority on Weston here, most have wanted him in the starting line up last year and again this year but he has never started a game in 1.5 seasons here, even with going to a 4 Guard line up Wright and Estevez have grabbed starting roles. With Green activated Weston gets pushed down to the
7th or 8th guard spot

Current Starting Guards:
Estevez
Wright
Montgomery
House

Current Sub Guards:
Green
Kortright
Dubsky
Weston
Why are you listing Green with the guards. He’s a 4 man. Zek’s natural position is the 3 and he’s the prototypical wing.

1- Kortright and Ways
2/3 - Estevez, House, Zek, Weston
4 - Green, Fuchs
5- Brown, Fuchs, Foumena, Bilau
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

7th or 8th guard spot

Current Starting Guards:
Estevez
Wright
Montgomery
House

Current Sub Guards:
Green
Kortright
Dubsky
Weston
Why are you listing Green with the guards. He’s a 4 man. Zek’s natural position is the 3 and he’s the prototypical wing.

1- Kortright and Ways
4 - Green, Fuchs
I’m listing Green with the Guards because we are now a 4 guard lineup.
Fuchs - F
Montgomery - G
House - G
Wright - G
Estevez - G

In warm ups Green was shooting from the 3 Point Line for most all his warm up shots

When Green comes in it’s for a Guard / not for Fuchs

So the logjam for a starting position for Weston which was the discussion is that Green adds one more person for Weston to have to overcome

So the list for Weston to overcome for a starting position (and many here still mention Weston as a potential starter) now includes Green with his new found eligibility:

Wright PG Starter
House G Starter
Montgomery G Starter
Estevez G Starter

Kortright Combo Guard - SG, G, PG
Green F - who comes in for a starting guard (not for Fuchs)
Dubsky SG
Weston G

Miller played Bilau, Brown and Foumena for some amount of minutes with Fuchs or together - sometimes there were 2 of this combo of Bigs in the game at the same time

Green now adds another dimension who can provide the 3P which he practiced significantly and can maneuver in the paint.

Point being Green has pushed Weston further down the playing time list at a time that Miller is talking of shortening the rotation - bad news 2 ways for Weston
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

7th or 8th guard spot

Current Starting Guards:
Estevez
Wright
Montgomery
House

Current Sub Guards:
Green
Kortright
Dubsky
Weston

1- Kortright and Ways
4 - Green, Fuchs
Fuchs - F
Montgomery - G
House - G
Wright - G
Estevez - G

In warm ups Green was shooting from the 3 Point Line for most all his warm up shots

So the logjam for a starting position for Weston which was the discussion is that Green adds one more person for Weston to have to overcome
Dude, if Green is in the game it's not a 4 guard lineup. What are you talking about?

I'm going to say it to you again

Fuchs was starting in what was Green's position as the stretch 4. It didn't work, then we went to a 4 guard lineup. Now, we can play how we wanted to with two bigs, one of whom being a stretch 4.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

7th or 8th guard spot

Current Starting Guards:
Estevez
Wright
Montgomery
House

Current Sub Guards:
Green
Kortright
Dubsky
Weston

1- Kortright and Ways
4 - Green, Fuchs
I think they use Bilau as a 4 and a 5 now and Fuchs only a 5.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Green can play both on the perimeter and in the post. One thing I noticed against Northeastern is that he really fights for position when he's down low, using his butt and his strength, much better than any of the bigs, putting him in much better position to score when he receives a pass. Then he has that little baby right handed hook that he scored with 2 or 3 times. I like that he can use either hand effectively when he's within 5 feet of the basket.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hope Green is pumping up this team, we were so soft. This kid needs to be Our Apollo Creed.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

1- Kortright and Ways
4 - Green, Fuchs
Fuchs - F
Montgomery - G
House - G
Wright - G
Estevez - G

Dude, if Green is in the game it's not a 4 guard lineup. What are you talking about?

I'm going to say it to you again

Fuchs was starting in what was Green's position as the stretch 4. It didn't work, then we went to a 4 guard lineup. Now, we can play how we wanted to with two bigs, one of whom being a stretch 4.
No need to call me “dude” and need to “say it to me again”.

As I’ve said,
The discussion was about Weston starting. My point was Green adds another layer in the depth chart.
Fuchs has nothing to do with Weston in depth chart.

Fuchs is the starting big man whether you want to call Fuchs a 4,5,4.5,4.8…….

Weston’s chances of playing time decreased by several factors:

1. Wright getting the PG Starting position
2. Estevez gaining more and more playing time
3. Estevez getting the SG Starting position
4. Kortright moving to 1st sub to SG or PG
5. Green eligibility based on Court Decision making all 2 time transfers eligible immediately

Millers decision to go with only 1 Big Man actually helped Weston because it opened up another starting guard spot but Weston was not selected to fill the 4th guard. Wright was with Kortright moved to SG
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Who are these "many" calling for Weston to start? Maybe I've missed it but I don't feel like I've seen much talk about Weston starting.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d be very surprised if Green doesn’t start vs Joes

Not sure who he replaces but think it’s Ways or Cam
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 3 months ago I’d be very surprised if Green doesn’t start vs Joes

I don't think Cam is being replaced. The guy can play. Sure he makes freshman mistakes, but he is one of our most skilled player.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thomas
Leggett
Carey
Martin
Stewart

Ramster, he does have skills. And, potentially (the key word for him) he could be a factor on this team. However, as you and others have pointed out here, his attitude, personal issues, lack of mental toughness, fragile confidence prevent him from realizing his potential to be a factor on this team and cancel out the positives he could bring to this team from a skills aspect.

A good, experienced coach like Archie can recognize that the attitude, etc. prevent Weston - despite his skill and athleticism potential - from being a reliable and consistent player offensively and defensively.

Skill and mental outlook or maturity or attitude or however one would characterize the personality aspects of a player work together to help a player realize his potential, imho, or, like with Weston, work against each other to prevent a player realizing their potential.

It is an unfortunate situation personally for Weston and something - as Archie has alluded to in postgame and off-day press conferences - that this particular team as a whole has struggled with to this point in time.

Maybe both Weston’s and the team’s attitude will change as the season goes along ? Time will tell but based on Weston’s history here at Rhody to date, it does not seem likely for him and will therefore continue to limit his playing time, imo.

That said, I will continue to root for the young man to put the two aspects (mental and skill/athleticism) together for the team and for himself.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Green was playing on the wing on Offense. On the right side to be more specific. Actually, it was kind of comical, at least three times he was beyond the arch on the same side as Estevez. Estevez shoo'ed him away with his hand as if to say this is my spot and Green moved. lol.

One time was the play where he came flying in left handed in a sweeping arch to the basket.

I know in this era of point forwards and stretch forwards it might be easy to confuse Green for a guard, but he's a lot closer to a traditional Josh King kind of forward than that. He's probably our best three point threat. He might play around the basket on defense, that's about it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Green was playing on the wing on Offense. On the right side to be more specific. Actually, it was kind of comical, at least three times he was beyond the arch on the same side as Estevez. Estevez shoo'ed him away with his hand as if to say this is my spot and Green moved. lol.

One time was the play where he came flying in left handed in a sweeping arch to the basket.

I know in this era of point forwards and stretch forwards it might be easy to confuse Green for a guard, but he's a lot closer to a traditional Josh King kind of forward than that. He's probably our best three point threat. He might play around the basket on defense, that's about it.
He’s literally the definition of a stretch 4. He hit 1 three pointer and all the rest of his points came in the paint. Josh King had no back to the basket game and almost exclusively lived out by the 3 point line. Green does have a back to basket game and showed it a few times.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

minus a slew of injuries (sorry for mentioning the I word), Weston's days here are done. I wish him well at his next assignment, and he will get one somewhere. If Bassy could land Albany, Weston will get a nice landing spot, I'm sure.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Green was playing on the wing on Offense. On the right side to be more specific. Actually, it was kind of comical, at least three times he was beyond the arch on the same side as Estevez. Estevez shoo'ed him away with his hand as if to say this is my spot and Green moved. lol.

He’s literally the definition of a stretch 4. He hit 1 three pointer and all the rest of his points came in the paint. Josh King had no back to the basket game and almost exclusively lived out by the 3 point line. Green does have a back to basket game and showed it a few times.
I was literally saying he was a stretch four. Do I not speak English? Please tell me, because people confuse what I am trying to say, all of the time.

I _ was _ saying _ he _ is _ not _ a _ guard _ .
Last edited by jcru 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Closer to a Josh King traditional forward... than a guard.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago minus a slew of injuries (sorry for mentioning the I word), Weston's days here are done. I wish him well at his next assignment, and he will get one somewhere. If Bassy could land Albany, Weston will get a nice landing spot, I'm sure.
I am not so sure he is done quite yet, depending on what happens there is a chance he can still get some meaningful minutes.

Besides no final determination yet on multi-transfers.
We also don't know what the roster will look like next season, much depends upon how we finish out the year.

Although I agree, currently not looking great for Weston.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Closer to a Josh King traditional forward... than a guard.
Josh King was a traditional wing tho. ARD was the 4 and Luther the 5. Josh King comp is way closer to Zek than Green tho Zek can do more off the dribble than Josh could.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Besides no final determination yet on multi-transfers.
No, but you would have to figure it is leaning, hard, towards free-for-all, else the NCAA wouldn't have been as quick to release all of these people like Green from purgatory. Basically, the NCAA doesn't have a leg to stand on, so it's most likely heading that way.

Start angling to keep the best players here. There is no reason we need to do a complete roster turnover like last year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Besides no final determination yet on multi-transfers.
No, but you would have to figure it is leaning, hard, towards free-for-all, else the NCAA wouldn't have been as quick to release all of these people like Green from purgatory. Basically, the NCAA doesn't have a leg to stand on, so it's most likely heading that way.

Start angling to keep the best players here. There is no reason we need to do a complete roster turnover like last year.
Yep, chances are it will end up being a free for all.

Another almost complete roster turnover would be a disaster; I don't think that is likely to happen.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, take a cue from the wbb team and the football team. They do a pretty good job, sans just a couple of players, of keeping their rosters intact.

The people who left Tammi, I felt like it was a mutual parting in most circumstances. For the football team, nothing was going to stop that OLineman last year from going to a top10 P5 team, the entire college football world wanted him. He's basically a shoo in for the NFL.

They managed to keep Pena, which was huge, and their incoming players seem as though they will have a greater impact than their outgoing players in most circumstances. And they still have a long ways to go.

NIL deals will help, but ultimately, the player has to want to be here. They have to want to stay at URI, they have to want to play for the coach, they have to want to be a part of something they are building.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago I mean, take a cue from the wbb team and the football team. They do a pretty good job, sans just a couple of players, of keeping their rosters intact.

The people who left Tammi, I felt like it was a mutual parting in most circumstances. For the football team, nothing was going to stop that OLineman last year from going to a top10 P5 team, the entire college football world wanted him. He's basically a shoo in for the NFL.

They managed to keep Pena, which was huge, and their incoming players seem as though they will have a greater impact than their outgoing players in most circumstances. And they still have a long ways to go.

NIL deals will help, but ultimately, the player has to want to be here. They have to want to stay at URI, they have to want to play for the coach, they have to want to be a part of something they are building.
Yes, your last statement is very telling.
The players must want to stay here.

One thing about Dan, he developed a special bond with his team and the players would run through a brick wall for him.
They also bought into his process and trusted him.

Not saying that all coaches need to have that special bond/relationship with their players, but the team does need to believe in their HC.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think DG looks a lot like Delroy out there.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago I think DG looks a lot like Delroy out there.
Said the same thing. He and Cam were the best +- last game. Both should play tons of minutes
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago I think DG looks a lot like Delroy out there.
That’s a good comp
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t see the Delroy comp besides them both being 6’7 lefties. Del was a slasher with a really good handle and slithery in traffic. Green seems to rely more on strength and high IQ. Regardless he’s our most impt player after just 1 game.

His previous stats in CUSA and CAA don’t add up to me. Either he was criminally misused or he got a lot better over the last 12 months.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I don’t see the Delroy comp besides them both being 6’7 lefties. Del was a slasher with a really good handle and slithery in traffic. Green seems to rely more on strength and high IQ. Regardless he’s our most impt player after just 1 game.

His previous stats in CUSA and CAA don’t add up to me. Either he was criminally misused or he got a lot better over the last 12 months.
Considering what he did or not did at his previous stops if he becomes anything like Delroy that would be amazing, but great for us.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I don’t see the Delroy comp besides them both being 6’7 lefties. Del was a slasher with a really good handle and slithery in traffic. Green seems to rely more on strength and high IQ. Regardless he’s our most impt player after just 1 game.

I think part of it is that he has an injury history and probably isn’t built for 30 minutes a game. It is rare to improve that much after 3 seasons in college so looking at his limited points and minutes per game combined with his injuries are probably why it is hard to gauge him and his past.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Closer comp than Josh King

Who else does he play like? He's like a bulkier less quick version.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

To me, Delory was one of a kind. He had such a unique style while driving to the hoop, and his shot was like a line drive. He had that ridiculous low dribble and deadly first step. Green has more range and a post-up game. He can't slash like Delory, but few can.. Green does have a decent handle as well. As you said Bar, I don't understand how he put up those numbers at Louisana Tech. Sometimes, it's all about your role and being in the right environment. Look at Bassy. He just dropped 32 in the last game and is still averaging 17 a game on the season.

I also want to see how Green does against better competition. Foumena also looked incredible against some lesser opponents. I'm very excited about Green, but we have been fooled before. If he makes a big impact against a team like St. Joes i'm going to have a lot more faith that we can make some noise in the A10..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

Closer comp than Josh King

Who else does he play like? He's like a bulkier less quick version.
Yeah not sure Pete. Disano compared him to Dyshawn Pierre who played for Archie at UD. Maybe a lefty Andre Samuel? He can play both facing and back to basket with range out to 3. Not sure we have had many 4s with that skill set over the years.

King and Delroy to me were both more classic wings/3 men archetypes.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago Who are these "many" calling for Weston to start? Maybe I've missed it but I don't feel like I've seen much talk about Weston starting.
This is why discussions like this should be in the rotation thread and not so much in individual game threads. Keeping comments on who should start, who shouldn’t, who is getting too many minutes, not enough minutes are all easier to track and remember when contained.

Would you agree Adam that the majority here were wanting a 4 guard lineup? I never did but plenty here did and still do. Up to Miller of course.

The argument to support 4 guards was that the middle was clogged by our 2 big men. Some were very down on Fuchs and wanted him out of the starting role about 2-3 weeks ago. Then he got his concussion.

The 4th guard in the new 4 guard rotation had Weston mentioned numerous times. Most were surprised when Wright got the call when 4 G lineup was adapted.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 months ago I’d be very surprised if Green doesn’t start vs Joes

So no PG?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago Who are these "many" calling for Weston to start? Maybe I've missed it but I don't feel like I've seen much talk about Weston starting.
This is why discussions like this should be in the rotation thread and not so much in individual game threads. Keeping comments on who should start, who shouldn’t, who is getting too many minutes, not enough minutes are all easier to track and remember when contained.

Would you agree Adam that the majority here were wanting a 4 guard lineup? I never did but plenty here did and still do. Up to Miller of course.

The argument to support 4 guards was that the middle was clogged by our 2 big men. Some were very down on Fuchs and wanted him out of the starting role about 2-3 weeks ago. Then he got his concussion.

The 4th guard in the new 4 guard rotation had Weston mentioned numerous times. Most were surprised when Wright got the call when 4 G lineup was adapted.
It’s not a 4 guard lineup with Green in there bc Green is not a guard. What doesn’t work is having 2 guys that primarily want to occupy the same space. Right now Fuchs is not a huge threat outside the paint so when he is in there at the 4 with Bilau or Foumena or Brown you have basically 2 guys occupying the paint. Green brings versatility in that he is a threat outside and inside. That is what people wanted and we didn’t have that skill set when Green was ineligible.

That is modern basketball. Spacing and perimeter shooting. Layups and threes. Nothing in between. Green allows us to get closer to that type of offensive system.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s not a 4 guard lineup with Green in there bc Green is not a guard. What doesn’t work is having 2 guys that primarily want to occupy the same space. Right now Fuchs is not a huge threat outside the paint so when he is in there at the 4 with Bilau or Foumena or Brown you have basically 2 guys occupying the paint. Green brings versatility in that he is a threat outside and inside. That is what people wanted and we didn’t have that skill set when Green was ineligible.

That is modern basketball. Spacing and perimeter shooting. Layups and threes. Nothing in between. Green allows us to get closer to that type of offensive system.
I agree completely.

But the comment was made like I was crazy saying posters here speculated and wanted Weston starting when we went to the 4G lineup. Weston is very popular on this board but he’s not impressed me.

I completely about Green. Completely. 6’7” guy who can shoot the 3P, shoot soft, 5 foot, one handed with accuracy with either hand. Green is respected by his teammates and displays leadership.

In fact, I’ve said it forever I hate the 4 Guard line up. I watched every game in last year’s A-10 Tournament and no way URI beats Dayton, VCU, St Louis or even Fordham with a 4 Guard Line Up.

Our starting 5 has struggled defensively, struggled with FT shooting and struggled with way too much dribbling and not enough good passing. So I like seeing Miller changing up the lineup and going with Freshmen in Fuchs and Estevez plus 1-year Juco Wright and getting Green eligible. Loved the lineup changes Miller has made last few weeks. Much needed.

And most wanted Fuchs out as a starter and some still want Fuchs out with Foumena or Bilau at the Big Position instead of Fuchs. I’m impressed by Fuchs and especially his upside potential having played only a portion of the OOC scheduled due to concussion. We need players with lots of upside seeing as how we are bottom of the A10. Bet on the upside. Miller appears to be doing that now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 3 months ago

*Unless you can get all better players....then, do that.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I see the analogy of DG and Delray. Before those observations,and seeing first step, his ability to go to the basket, having an 3 pt shot and being a good rebounder I was thinking that he reminded me of a left-handed Tyrese Martin.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree completely.

But the comment was made like I was crazy saying posters here speculated and wanted Weston starting when we went to the 4G lineup. Weston is very popular on this board but he’s not impressed me.

I completely about Green. Completely. 6’7” guy who can shoot the 3P, shoot soft, 5 foot, one handed with accuracy with either hand. Green is respected by his teammates and displays leadership.

In fact, I’ve said it forever I hate the 4 Guard line up. I watched every game in last year’s A-10 Tournament and no way URI beats Dayton, VCU, St Louis or even Fordham with a 4 Guard Line Up.

Our starting 5 has struggled defensively, struggled with FT shooting and struggled with way too much dribbling and not enough good passing. So I like seeing Miller changing up the lineup and going with Freshmen in Fuchs and Estevez plus 1-year Juco Wright and getting Green eligible. Loved the lineup changes Miller has made last few weeks. Much needed.

And most wanted Fuchs out as a starter and some still want Fuchs out with Foumena or Bilau at the Big Position instead of Fuchs. I’m impressed by Fuchs and especially his upside potential having played only a portion of the OOC scheduled due to concussion. We need players with lots of upside seeing as how we are bottom of the A10. Bet on the upside. Miller appears to be doing that now.
It all comes down to matchups. But if you look at who has feasted on us it’s all these stretch 4s. They had field days against us. The kid from Northwestern (Barhizer), Hopkins, Daniels on UNH, the kid Davis on Delaware. All went for 20+ against us I believe. Because Archie had no one both quick and strong enough to cover them. Green brings that and is why he is so valuable even moreso on defensive end. He wants to get physical and wants to rebound. His versatility was sorely missed putting aside his offensive skills.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this lineup at some point:

Fuchs
Green
Montgomery
Estevez
Kortright

And then using House as instant offense off the bench a la the microwave Vinnie Johnson. With Bilau, Ways and Fou rounding out your top 9. Right now Weston would be 10th on my depth chart.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree completely.

It all comes down to matchups. But if you look at who has feasted on us it’s all these stretch 4s. They had field days against us. The kid from Northwestern (Barhizer), Hopkins, Daniels on UNH, the kid Davis on Delaware. All went for 20+ against us I believe. Because Archie had no one both quick and strong enough to cover them. Green brings that and is why he is so valuable even moreso on defensive end. He wants to get physical and wants to rebound. His versatility was sorely missed putting aside his offensive skills.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this lineup at some point:

Fuchs
Green
Montgomery
Estevez
Kortright

And then using House as instant offense off the bench a la the microwave Vinnie Johnson. With Bilau, Ways and Fou rounding out your top 9. Right now Weston would be 10th on my depth chart.
I am glad you highlighted the D aspects, Bar.

I know that as for me, I tend to think O first and foremost when considering rotation playing time and overlook the value of a players impacts on D.

Good stuff. 👍🏼
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I agree completely.

I mean, one of our best seasons ever was with a four-guard lineup. I think it's a case-by-case situation and depends on the matchup... The question that many people were asking was whether this team performs better playing smaller, with a wing like Zek or Weston at the 4 position, or with two centers in the starting 5, even if it means one of them is out of their natural position. Personally, I think both options were not ideal.

When we shifted to a smaller lineup, our offense seemed to improve, but our defense took a considerable hit, going from really bad to absolutely awful. On the other hand, when we went bigger, our offense looked stagnant, with two bigs congesting the paint or positioning Fuchs at the top of the key, which led to numerous turnovers.

This is why having a versatile player like Green is crucial. He has the ability to play on the perimeter and shoot the 3, or he can score in one-on-one post situations. Fuchs appears much more comfortable playing at the 5. I believe Fou and Bilau also perform at their best when positioned at the 5 spot. With these adjustments, our team seems poised to achieve its full potential. Let's see how it unfolds!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING