12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of New Hampshire
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Thursday, December 21, 2023
6:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
UNH Fan Forum

Rhody! Rhody! Rhody!...Blah! Blah! Blah! The Rams, losers of 4 straight, limp back to the Ryan Center to finish up their last two out of conference games to close out 2023. After losing to the second smallest state over the weekend, the Rams take on the 5th smallest state (& 5th most common opponent) in their penultimate out of conference game Thursday night when New Hampshire comes to town. Please note that this game starts at 6:00, not the usual 7:00. The Wildcats were picked to finish 8th out of 9 teams in the America East preseason polls. This will be the third time we face a team that could do something the Rams could not do, beat Brown at home.

After coaching at Bucknell for eight seasons, Nathan Davis enters his first season at the helm of the Wildcats. Although picked towards the bottom of the conference preseason, UNH does have a nice one-two punch in forward Clarence Daniels & guard Ahmad Robinson. Daniels was a preseason America East All-Conference preseason pick and is having a monster season so far, averaging 19 & 9. He is currently in the top 40 in scoring & top 50 in rebounding in the country. He has scored in double digits in all but 1 game this season & in half of the games he has scored 20+. He went for 36 & 9 against Brown while hitting 5 of 9 from deep. I look forward to the Rams having a defensive breakdown & leaving him wide open much like they did against Jyare Davis in the Delaware game. Running the point is undersized guard, Ahmad Robinson. He can score off the dribble quite well but is willing to dish the ball. Robinson is averaging 16.3 points per game & an impressive 5 assists per game, which is good for top 50 in the country. The diminutive guard is also averaging 4 rebounds per game. He had a double-double recently against Dartmouth going for 11 & 10 rebounds. He has scored in double digits every game this season. One final player to keep an eye on is senior forward Jaxson Baker. He is averaging 10 & 6.4 on the season. After going for 20 against UConn last month on 6 made threes, he has struggled from deep. He is just 2 for his last 16 over his last four games. Hopefully his poor shooting will continue Thursday night.

As for the Rams, they need something to spark them to get ready for conference play. Thankfully they are 5-1 at home, so maybe some home cooking is just what the doctor ordered. Rhody has been SLOPPY taking care of the basketball. Many of us thought after the Charleston game things couldn’t get any worse after the Rams turned the ball over 17 times. This team said, hold my coffee milk, as they proceeded to turn it over 20 times against Delaware.

Rhody really needs to get Zek & House going because they have fallen off a bit as of late. After scoring in double digits the first eight games of the season, over the last three games Zek is averaging just 7 per contest. During those 3 games he is just 2 for 10 from deep. Jaden House had a very tough game against Delaware, having more turnover than points. The one bright spot of late has been the play of freshman Cam Estevez. Cam has been getting more minutes & really making the most of them. Does Archie tinker with the starting line-up & start Cam? I think it may be time.

I can’t believe I am going to write out this next sentence, but here goes. The Rams have a real chance of losing to UNH at home Thursday night. The Rams are 56-3 all time at home against the Wildcats. They have a 13-game home winning streak & have just 1 home loss since 1935, going 46-1 during that time. Over the last 21 games (home & away) they are 20-1 against them. Hell, to start last game URI went up 22-2 with now grad assistant Gil Biruta going for 17 & 11. Even with this being a home game, it is basically a coinflip as to who will win. Yikes! I am going to channel my inner Yogi Berra, who said to Bernie Williams before the 1999 ALCS against the Red Sox, “Relax. We’ve been playing these guys for 80 years. They’re never gonna beat us.” Well, the Rams have been playing & winning over the last 80 years against UNH. My prediction, URI 79 – UNH 78 in OT. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
7-4, 0-0 in the America East
15-15, 9-7 in the America East (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 173 (245)
RPI: 116 (212)
KenPom: 233 (220)
BPI: 180 (246)
Barttovik: 242 (184)

Leaders:
Points – Clarence Daniels 19.2 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Clarence Daniels 9.0 (Sr., F)
Assists – Ahmad Robinson 5.0 (Jr., G) (2.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 96-18
H: 56-3, A: 40-15, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/22/13 62-45 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 9 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 51.9% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think, out of growing desperation, I may go with the George Costanza rooting strategy this game and do the opposite. So, I will hope we will lose for us to get a win.

Go UNH!

:lol:
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Yawn
0 x
:lol:
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Imagine if we lost to Brown AND New Hampshire in the same season? :?
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Imagine if we lost to Brown AND New Hampshire in the same season? :?
Last time that happened was the 1983-84 season when URI went 6-22 that year. That was also the last time Rhody lost to UNH.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

UNH could be a challenge and the game will probably be close.

Still, we will win these next 2 games, and feel a little bit better before going into conference play.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

spookydog wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Imagine if we lost to Brown AND New Hampshire in the same season? :?
Last time that happened was the 1983-84 season when URI went 6-22 that year. That was also the last time Rhody lost to UNH.
Yikes... That would really be rock bottom huh? No reason a program like ours should be losing to UNH mens basketball. Absolutely no excuses.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

What will vegas say?
-2.5?

Match-up Predictor: 51.9% Chance of URI Winning

Wtf
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings now has; their #214, #15 A-10 URI with 63% chance to beat #222 UNH.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I went to the UConn/UNH game and was impressed by how hard UNH plays and how organized they were. They were just outmatched in size, speed and talent, that wont be the case when they come to the Ryan Center. I don't really have any reason to think we'll start to play like we did 2nd half vs Yale, but it will take that kind of effort to win.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Even with Baron there were multiple games a year that we were locks to win.

Not anymore.

Next thing you know we will be approaching Jerry D territory.

Not comparing those guys to Archie, but the records speak for themselves.

That's how bad it is right now.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep unfortunately UNH and NE do not appear to be 🧁
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Here we are hoping to beat UNH at basketball 🤮
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

or anybody at basketball, for that matter.

Hopefully they don't follow the last game plan against Delaware, which pretty much included: hang tough for 15 mins, then play a little hero ball, pull House and Montgomery and play with lineups for the rest of the game, and fold.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 4 months ago or anybody at basketball, for that matter.

Hopefully they don't follow the last game plan against Delaware, which pretty much included: hang tough for 15 mins, then play a little hero ball, pull House and Montgomery and play with lineups for the rest of the game, and fold.
Almost sounds like a scouting report on URI.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh we better beat them or it will be doom and gloom !!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Someone said, in the post game presser, that Archie looked like he had no answers as to how to fix this team. I don't watch the pressers, so I am going by what I read here.

If that really is the case, and he has no answers, step down. Take a stress leave or declare you have covid or something, and let KJ have a turn at the wheel. This team has talent, it would be interesting to see how they would respond to another authority figure.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we lose the next two games, the wheels on this program have fallen off.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The question is, “ if we lose one of these games, are the wheels still on?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 4 months ago The question is, “ if we lose one of these games, are the wheels still on?
I would say yes, with loose lug nuts.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree these 2 are pretty important, we win both and @ least some confidence builds
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago Ugh we better beat them or it will be doom and gloom !!
Isn't it doom and gloom already?
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

If we win these two games will the doom and gloom be gone?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 4 months ago If we win these two games will the doom and gloom be gone?
By beating UNH and NE? LOL. No.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago Ugh we better beat them or it will be doom and gloom !!
Isn't it doom and gloom already?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago If we win these two games will the doom and gloom be gone?
Maybe 1 of the 2 lol
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago Someone said, in the post game presser, that Archie looked like he had no answers as to how to fix this team. I don't watch the pressers, so I am going by what I read here.

If that really is the case, and he has no answers, step down. Take a stress leave or declare you have covid or something, and let KJ have a turn at the wheel. This team has talent, it would be interesting to see how they would respond to another authority figure.
Step down?? You want someone who is facing some adversity to quit? Quit on the players/coaches/admin....

Geez. I am glad some people on here aren't involved with athletics in any way shape or form. Great message to our student-athletes. When things go bad, just bail. Make up something and get the hell out of there instead of trying to fix it.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago Someone said, in the post game presser, that Archie looked like he had no answers as to how to fix this team. I don't watch the pressers, so I am going by what I read here.

hahahahaahhaha step down

After your post the last few days, it's quite obvious you have absolutely no idea about basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Yeah our doom and gloom crew is back and well entrenched - posting at a frantic pace.

The negativity is probably more entertaining than our MBB team at the moment.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago hahahahaahhaha step down

After your post the last few days, it's quite obvious you have absolutely no idea about basketball.
what is your problem today? what are you, in a bad mood or something?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Bos8 wrote: 4 months ago Step down?? You want someone who is facing some adversity to quit? Quit on the players/coaches/admin....

Geez. I am glad some people on here aren't involved with athletics in any way shape or form. Great message to our student-athletes. When things go bad, just bail. Make up something and get the hell out of there instead of trying to fix it.
Well. If we are going to fight through this, then I know just what we're going to need.

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jcru, in the frustration right after a disappointing loss, I can understand a coach feeling unsure or thinking he doesn’t have answers at that point in time. We all question ourselves at some point when things aren’t going our way.

However, as time passes postgame a good coach studies the film and then finds answers and solutions to the problems. I still think Archie is a very good coach and will eventually find the answers - unfortunately I can’t say when he will find those answers or when the players will be able to translate the coaching into action and results.

That last part - the waiting, that is - is frustrating for me and I get that you are frustrated and likely a good deal more than me at this time. Hold on and try to keep the faith.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference. The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves . The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
We don't know if this is true yet for this year: floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference.
It was true for last year, but until there have been a few actual conference games, the assessing of the depth of "in conference" suck is going to need to wait a couple weeks, imo.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves . The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
We don't know if this is true yet for this year: floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference.
It was true for last year, but until there have been a few actual conference games, the assessing of the depth of "in conference" suck is going to need to wait a couple weeks, imo.
A-10 is 8th in NET so...it's objectively not a mediocre mid major conference.

A few teams are about to get stronger in A-10 play too

(Not allowed to say that we will)

VCU just added Bamisile. They looked great against Temple.

SLU is going to get Parker back and their 2 time transfer just got eligible.

One of Richmonds starters will be back from injury eventually.

Loyola, Fordham and Rhody are the only teams that suck right now.

(No way we get better with Green, a healthy Bilau and Fuchs and an overall stable roster. Not happening, cannot speculate about that)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago If we lose the next two games, the wheels on this program have fallen off.
The wheels on this program fell off in Cox' third and fourth year. It's not about the wheels falling off, it's can we get them back on
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference. The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
College sports have always been about momentum. If you're good, it's easier to be good going forward. If you suck, it's easier to keep sucking going forward.

I'm not as doom and gloom about the transfer portal and NIL as most, but I do think it's amplified how important momentum is in college sports and it's made it harder to get out of the lane you're in
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago

(No way we get better with Green, a healthy Bilau and Fuchs and an overall stable roster. Not happening, cannot speculate about that)
Yes PRT the A10 is definitely not a mediocre mid-major, currently the 2nd best behind the MWC and certainly a top 10 overall.

In addition to getting Bam back, Bairstow (pre-season selection A10) should also return at some point, making VCU very competitive,

Actually for the most part I see this conference as only getting stronger as the season goes on.
Even the current bottom dwellers won't be easy outs.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

Yes PRT the A10 is definitely not a mediocre mid-major, currently the 2nd best behind the MWC and certainly a top 10 overall.

In addition to getting Bam back, Bairstow (pre-season selection A10) should also return at some point, making VCU very competitive,

Actually for the most part I see this conference as only getting stronger as the season goes on.
VCU really impressed me against Temple. They were dramatically improved. Temple isn't that great, but it was surprising how much VCU dominated them athletically. They have elite length and most of their players can hit threes. Very disruptive defensively and if they get hot from three they are very hard to beat. Definitely a darkhorse team going into A-10 play.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference. The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
College sports have always been about momentum. If you're good, it's easier to be good going forward. If you suck, it's easier to keep sucking going forward.

I'm not as doom and gloom about the transfer portal and NIL as most, but I do think it's amplified how important momentum is in college sports and it's made it harder to get out of the lane you're in
Interesting, 02. 👍🏼

For sake of discussion, do you think momentum is related to program culture ? Or, do you think momentum can morph into culture ?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Which is why, in the grand scheme of things, it is much more beneficial to for us to get DG eligible now, because it gives us a better chance to gain positive momentum going forward.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Exactly. And because I feel like this doesn't mean I'm miserable, as some would suggest. It means I'm being realistic.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

VCU really impressed me against Temple. They were dramatically improved. Temple isn't that great, but it was surprising how much VCU dominated them athletically. They have elite length and most of their players can hit threes. Very disruptive defensively and if they get hot from three they are very hard to beat. Definitely a darkhorse team going into A-10 play.
VCU may have hit on their coach ? He was very successful @ Utah St , may turn out to be a really good hire
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Yeah our doom and gloom crew is back and well entrenched - posting at a frantic pace.

The negativity is probably more entertaining than our MBB team at the moment.
Probably? This team has been getting their teeth kicked in going on 6 years. My section at the Ryan Center has a for sale sign on it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For now the gloom and doom is well deserved.

We have several teams from our own conference already improving from shaky starts.

We are going in the opposite direction, and I'm getting sick and tired of it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes , we really need a solid performance to get out of this funk and create some positive momentum!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago If we lose the next two games, the wheels on this program have fallen off.
The wheels on this program fell off in Cox' third and fourth year. It's not about the wheels falling off, it's can we get them back on
While the train is rolling...
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

START DUBS AND WE WIN BY 25

FREE DUBS
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago START DUBS AND WE WIN BY 25

FREE DUBS
How may threads you gonna spam with this same shit post?
2 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Shackle R15 !
3 x