12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago It seems like every player who was denied a waiver or was waiting for decision on waiver is playing... my question is why did Green not play.
Why??
I just hope he doesn't break Ant's record for Most Pages/Never Played Here
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago It seems like every player who was denied a waiver or was waiting for decision on waiver is playing... my question is why did Green not play.
Why??
BECAUSE

HE

IS

HURT
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Archie’s post game. I used to like his post games. However, the more we play like we do, it, for me is becoming a word salad of coach speak. I hate posting this, but it is where I am.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Green wont be ready to play for a few more weeks, hold him out for the rest of the season so he will have 2 full years left.
What major difference will he make for this year? We will still suck, maybe a little less but so what?
Anyway, he very well might be overhyped and overrated like most of our players anyway.
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Since I have no inside info
what is DG injury?
And when is he available to play.
Was he with the team today
I believe these are fair Fan questions
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, it's the same sad story game after game. He knows what is wrong, but he seems almost resigned and clueless on how to fix it.

I think he realises now that this roster is deficient and needs a major infusion of talent, both mental and physical.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago I believe in Archie

I wouldn’t trade him for any other POS coach this program would attract

Keep at it Arch
I respect your optimism, but what exactly has Archie done? Beat Yale?
He’s done nothing

All I have is faith

I certainly can’t defend his record

I think he is a very good coach that needs better players
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago I believe in Archie

I wouldn’t trade him for any other POS coach this program would attract

Keep at it Arch
I respect your optimism, but what exactly has Archie done? Beat Yale?
He’s done nothing

All I have is faith

I certainly can’t defend his record

I think he is a very good coach that needs better players
He picked these players! I believe that better players will come once this program is better. We’ve seen it with Dayton and VCU.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Went to a Christmas party tonight. Usually would have asked to put the game on and they would have, but they were all having a good time so I didn’t. Yeah, it’s come to that.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Better players once the program is better, difficult for me to see through that fog right now.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's his job to recruit better players.

So far, he gets a D- for that.

The 2 coming in next year could be good, but who knows?

I'm sure Archie thought he had enough talent this season to be better than last season. Show progress.

Not seeing it right now, that's for sure.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon wrote: 4 months ago Went to a Christmas party tonight. Usually would have asked to put the game on and they would have, but they were all having a good time so I didn’t. Yeah, it’s come to that.
just now?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago If Green wont be ready to play for a few more weeks, hold him out for the rest of the season so he will have 2 full years left.
What major difference will he make for this year? We will still suck, maybe a little less but so what?
Anyway, he very well might be overhyped and overrated like most of our players anyway.
And if he is really good, why wouldn't he transfer again?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago If Green wont be ready to play for a few more weeks, hold him out for the rest of the season so he will have 2 full years left.
Agree. Why are we rushing him back for another lost season at the start of January? Also wondering why Green averaged so few minutes, starts snd points at small schools? What is his injury history if anyone knows? He might have looked good in exhibition and be better than he was at Louisiana Tech, but pretty tough to be that confident
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Cox>Miller
Miller>Cox

I.
Just.
Don’t.
Know.
Anymore.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago It's his job to recruit better players.

So far, he gets a D- for that.

The 2 coming in next year could be good, but who knows?

I'm sure Archie thought he had enough talent this season to be better than last season. Show progress.

Not seeing it right now, that's for sure.
Archie has brought 17 players here.
Bray Harris Brandon,Tchikou Bilau
Foumena Lou Rory
Brown,House,Kortright,Monty,Wright,Green
Cam, Dubs, Fuchs

17 scholarships.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The outlook to better last year's nine win season is looking bleak. In fact if URI is unable to beat either UNH and Northeastern, then considering the schedule, an 11 game losing streak is possible.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I admit I’m frustrated in Arch right now , I thought we would show more improvement

I’m following the ECR mantra of keeping the faith but it’s not easy
5 x
True Big Blue
Jim Eitner

Unread post by True Big Blue »

We have guards that can’t pass, they dribble drive, no vision to dish off. They are worried about their own offense and that’s about it. They are one dimensional and at this point possibly the entire team including staff needs their eyes examined.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think it depends on when he's ready to come back from his knee injury. It sounds like it wasn't serious, more of a nagging thing that he could play through if he was eligible. Now that he is I think he should be ready to start giving minutes when conference season starts. If that's the case he should be playing. If it's more serious and he can't go until February or something then you might want to hold him out the whole year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago You can’t really be a disciplinarian type coach anymore since players will just tell you to F off and they’ll transfer if they don’t like how hard you are on them. And it appears you need some consistency and time to learn this stupid defensive system, which you will not have anymore with the transfer and NIL issues. Basically we are SOL unless Arch can adapt.

Why in earth would Cam stay with this mess? He will have many offers is my guess.
I touched on this before. With the AAU culture, most kids don't like hard ass coaches anymore. And what happens when they don't see results when being coached by a hard ass coach? They tune him out, pout and stop giving effort. I'm thinking this is already happening with at least a few of our current group.
Do you think that Dan is no longer hard and demanding on his players?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I admire those who still care this much in a meaningless OOC.

Teams got some soul searching to do.

Archie will earn his paycheck in the next 3 months.

Foolish time to make absolute judgements on a year that’s not half done, so I won’t.

Wake me up for conference play.
Funny you think conference play will be much easier than some of these teams we've lost to.
22, I think what BM is getting at is those games (conf games) would matter more than OOC games. I don’t believe he is alluding to difficulty.

I think he discussed the point - with the assumption that the team would be improving - in other threads if not in this one.

Anyway, I am sure he will come along to clarify sooner or later.
Correct.

I’m actually perplexed people are getting worked up right now. The Brown game was the funeral for the OOC, none of these games mean anything now. I commend any of you for caring enough to have your days ruined by this team, but a W or L post Brown until St Joes is meaningless.

Maybe Arch benching House will be a wake up call like what Hurley did in 2016.

All I know is the next couple games are pointless for anything except the players figuring out whatever it is they need to figure out.

If we play how we’ve played, we’re looking at a 6-12 conference campaign at best and if that’s the case, I’ll be ready to cut wrists.

I am holding out hope that something will click and this team will have a come to Jesus campaign.

And if not, it’s still year 2.

Disappointing for sure, but let’s not do that thing everyone did with hurley blaming him for Baron’s last couple years. Dave Cox’s stink is still on and around the program as seen by the apathy surrounding it. It didn’t happen overnight with Hurley, it won’t happen overnight here.

Godspeed to all of us, see you in 2024.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago Hey nothing to worry about folks!

We'll be good when we're good!

In 2035.
Having trouble deciding if that is optimism or pessimism!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Something will click, it has too. There’s absolutely talent and we have the right coach. Forget Dayton, Archie took a terrible Hoosiers team and had them tournament bound in 2020. He will do that here. This team is basically the United Nations, players from all different backgrounds and schools and making that work isn’t easy. But they have to find a way.
0 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Can we try to play Luis in the post more??? It's one the rate bright spots this year.
And Set up,Fou in the post for. His baby hook.?.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I believe that, if the team is going to be good in conference...D Fuchs will be (has to be) a big part of that and someone will have to get Zek off the milk carton.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think the remaining OOC games are far from meaningless. Not so much from the overall win/loss record, but to shake the current stink off, get centered with a couple of wins to go into the conference with a positive mind set. If not, a downward spiral is the opening of conference play. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My concern is how rigid Archie is with his philosophy. There has to be room for adapting to the roster, especially on defense depending on the game flow. In game adjustments just aren't happening. Example, Rory gave him good minutes and energy yesterday, but can't play effective defense. What's wrong with a few minutes of zone. Also, not pressing when down late in games makes no sense. Archie may never be able to implement his defensive philosophy effectively with today's landscape. Can he adapt to today's game is my big question??
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever happens, Archie is here for at least 2 more years.

We all know that. It's just that we expected more by year 2.

Like was said, he has brought in 17 players, and at least some of them should be better than what we have seen so far.

Anyway, 2-17 so far in road games is beyond embarrassing and it's likely to get even worse.

We have the right to expect more from this staff.

This isn't just bad, this is historically bad.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago You can’t really be a disciplinarian type coach anymore since players will just tell you to F off and they’ll transfer if they don’t like how hard you are on them. And it appears you need some consistency and time to learn this stupid defensive system, which you will not have anymore with the transfer and NIL issues. Basically we are SOL unless Arch can adapt.

Why in earth would Cam stay with this mess? He will have many offers is my guess.
I touched on this before. With the AAU culture, most kids don't like hard ass coaches anymore. And what happens when they don't see results when being coached by a hard ass coach? They tune him out, pout and stop giving effort. I'm thinking this is already happening with at least a few of our current group.
Do you think that Dan is no longer hard and demanding on his players?
I said when players with a hard ass coach aren't seeing results, they start to tune him out. I think we've seen that with some Patriots players this year. I'd say Dan has been getting results, to put it lightly.
Last edited by Billyboy78 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Something will click, it has too. There’s absolutely talent and we have the right coach. Forget Dayton, Archie took a terrible Hoosiers team and had them tournament bound in 2020. He will do that here. This team is basically the United Nations, players from all different backgrounds and schools and making that work isn’t easy. But they have to find a way.
Not for anything but isn't this true at a lot of places now, grabbing several transfers expected to play key roles? Good coaches will find a way to get their guys and make it work. I get there might be some feeling out period, but you guys come into today with a NET of 245. There's something a little more wrong than guys just getting comfortable. They are either the wrong guys, the wrong schemes, etc. Any way you slice and dice, it all points back to the HC.
4 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago

Funny you think conference play will be much easier than some of these teams we've lost to.
22, I think what BM is getting at is those games (conf games) would matter more than OOC games. I don’t believe he is alluding to difficulty.

I think he discussed the point - with the assumption that the team would be improving - in other threads if not in this one.

Anyway, I am sure he will come along to clarify sooner or later.
Correct.

I’m actually perplexed people are getting worked up right now. The Brown game was the funeral for the OOC, none of these games mean anything now. I commend any of you for caring enough to have your days ruined by this team, but a W or L post Brown until St Joes is meaningless.

Maybe Arch benching House will be a wake up call like what Hurley did in 2016.

All I know is the next couple games are pointless for anything except the players figuring out whatever it is they need to figure out.

If we play how we’ve played, we’re looking at a 6-12 conference campaign at best and if that’s the case, I’ll be ready to cut wrists.

I am holding out hope that something will click and this team will have a come to Jesus campaign.

And if not, it’s still year 2.

Disappointing for sure, but let’s not do that thing everyone did with hurley blaming him for Baron’s last couple years. Dave Cox’s stink is still on and around the program as seen by the apathy surrounding it. It didn’t happen overnight with Hurley, it won’t happen overnight here.

Godspeed to all of us, see you in 2024.
If the games are meaningless then why are we here and you soliciting donations for the archie fund? might as well cut the program and invest in something else.

Hockey, football, on campus housing, cleaning up the emporium.

This might be the worst take ive seen from you.
2 x
:lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 months ago The outlook to better last year's nine win season is looking bleak. In fact if URI is unable to beat either UNH and Northeastern, then considering the schedule, an 11 game losing streak is possible.
Any hope for a .500 or better season is most likely pretty much dead as a better than decent OOC record was needed for that to have any chance at happening.

It looks like URI is headed to its fourth straight losing season. Only once before has URI had a worse stretch of losing seasons in its nearly 120 year history. You have to go all the way back to the period from 1981-82 to 1985-86 where it recorded five seasons of losing records. The other worst periods before only lasted three seasons. With the lack of progression that we are seeing with this team, matching the all time worst period could very well become a possibility at the end of next season. These are indeed dark days for the program in Kingston.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This isnt the "darkest before the dawn" like it was with Dan and the Fordham game.

This team is nowhere close to turning it around.

Sorry.

I usually agree with Blue's takes but he's off base here.

It's going to get really ugly in the next few weeks.

I haven't totally given up on Archie yet, but he's got to either change his coaching philosophy or bring in talent that fits his system.

If things dont improve next season, the buzzards will start circling this program.

Again.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Something will click, it has too. There’s absolutely talent and we have the right coach. Forget Dayton, Archie took a terrible Hoosiers team and had them tournament bound in 2020. He will do that here. This team is basically the United Nations, players from all different backgrounds and schools and making that work isn’t easy. But they have to find a way.
Not for anything but isn't this true at a lot of places now, grabbing several transfers expected to play key roles? Good coaches will find a way to get their guys and make it work. I get there might be some feeling out period, but you guys come into today with a NET of 245. There's something a little more wrong than guys just getting comfortable. They are either the wrong guys, the wrong schemes, etc. Any way you slice and dice, it all points back to the HC.
Yep, absolutely right. Some of the comments here often make it sound like we are the only school in the country dealing with the new rules. Other places seem to be able to figure it out, no reason why we shouldn't be able to.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would argue URI has had one of these most significant turnovers the past 4 seasons. More than the average school.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago I would argue URI has had one of these most significant turnovers the past 4 seasons. More than the average school.
The question is: Does it happen again after this season?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago I would argue URI has had one of these most significant turnovers the past 4 seasons. More than the average school.
It’s looking like it should at this point.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

All I know is if Cam and Fuchs leave, that will ruin my hope for the future. Unlike last year, we have two freshmen this year who could become very good A10 players. This is why I want Archie to wake up, start Cam, and run the offense through him more. We will lose either way. At least seeing a freshman drop 15-20 pts is exciting. It's hilarious that he talked about how incredible Fuchs is all off-season when he has a freshman guard like Cam sitting there and barely said a thing about him.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's probably true, but that's our own fault. That's kind of what I mean, it's not just something that is happening to us and we have no control over. It's on us to figure it out just like everyone else.

Plus its not like we had a great team and they all bailed for bigger and better. We stunk and outside of one guy they all went to lower level schools than URI. If anything it should have helped us.
Last edited by adam914 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We have to remember Zek was a role player last year. This is his first year being one of the top dogs. A lot of guys go through slumps like this. I still have hope in his game because we've seen him succeed.. You add Green, you hopefully add a healthy Fuchs/Bilau, Cam and Ways keep developing, and most importantly Archie learns how to coach again and we could make some noise in the A10. Right now we are the worst team in the A10.. We'll see..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago
That's probably true, but that's our own fault. That's kind of what I mean, it's not just something that is happening to us and we have no control over. It's on us to figure it out just like everyone else.
Yup, no more excuses. However, you want to call it, it's on Archie. Remember that most of us didn't want a bid or even a Nit bid. We just wanted a better team. We were hoping for a .500 season. ... I don't think that's asking much for year 2 with what Archie is making...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am still trying to digest what happened to us Saturday, and for the most part this season.
Two players we have counted on Zek and House are in a huge funk and seem to have disappeared.
Luis doesn't look like a true PG, better suited at CG.

Cam a true freshman was the best player suited up in a Rhody uniform yesterday, and it wasn't even close.

Our bigs have been less than dominating this season.
Although Fuchs and Foumena both being freshmen get a pass, and I do see upside and potential with them.
Bilau seems to keep getting bit by the injury bug, so I am not sure how much we can count on him if he can't stay on the court.
Rory is still a bit raw and not the most athletic, but he has his moments and the ability to stretch it.
Brown certainly struggled yesterday, and he is still a work in progress, definitely not a finished product yet.

I think these next 2 games will be huge, both for the players and the coaches.
They need to figure it out now, because conference play starts soon.
A couple of wins may go long way in giving the team a little confidence.

Our veteran transfers have to start showing up on a consistent basis.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

“All I know is the next couple games are pointless for anything except the players figuring out whatever it is they need to figure out.”

Can i have my $ back?

I couldn’t even get a fucking hot dog at the alumni lounge last game.

Like, seriously…

I’m not paying for this shit anymore.

If this is now supposed to be pro sports, the product needs to get WAY better really freaking soon!

If it’s college, and the kids go to the same classes I did for four years, then ok…but this isn’t college anymore.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
CaptainRon wrote: 4 months ago Went to a Christmas party tonight. Usually would have asked to put the game on and they would have, but they were all having a good time so I didn’t. Yeah, it’s come to that.
just now?
Honestly, I would have toughed it out. I just didn’t want to bring everyone else down.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to think these next two OOC games mean nothing.

This is the most mentally weak team I think I've ever seen. They have been in perpetual Baron collapse mode since Mohegan. Aside from that Yale comeback we have been passing down our leg any chance we get.

Seems like the more they lose the worse they get. They have to start believing in themselves again QUICK, or it will get much worse. I shutter thinking about what St Joe's would do to us if we can't beat Northeastern and UNH.

Also, how tf can we have any realistic hope if we lose to UNH and NE? I mean my god.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago I think it's absolutely ludicrous to think these next two OOC games mean nothing.

This is the most mentally weak team I think I've ever seen. They have been in perpetual Baron collapse mode since Mohegan. Aside from that Yale comeback we have been passing down our leg any chance we get.

Seems like the more they lose the worse they get. They have to start believing in themselves again QUICK, or it will get much worse. I shutter thinking about what St Joe's would do to us if we can't beat Northeastern and UNH.

Also, how tf can we have any realistic hope if we lose to UNH and NE? I mean my god.
Not at all like a Baron collapse.

Baron’s team were good to very good into the late part of the season and collapsed then.

This team hasn’t shown anything to warrant calling its a collapse.

Can’t really “collapse” 11 games into the season.
2 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago I think it's absolutely ludicrous to think these next two OOC games mean nothing.

Agreed… we need to win these last two games…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

Not at all like a Baron collapse.

Baron’s team were good to very good into the late part of the season and collapsed then.

This team hasn’t shown anything to warrant calling its a collapse.

Can’t really “collapse” 11 games into the season.
You're not understanding what I'm saying.

They are playing like Barons teams did in the midst of their late season collapses.

Barons teams would feel good about themselves then piss down their leg once things started to fall apart. We have a similar mentality right now. We felt great after the first three games and have completely fallen apart since we've faced some adversity.

It's one thing to just suck, but we have shown we are capable of not sucking, but once the other team goes on a run we just fold.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

I watched them come back on Yale.it can be done.Yale is winning again so it was a formidable win.I wasn't expecting them to be at CCharlst or Delaware but was hopeful.If we hold serve and win these next two home games And go to 7-5...were back on track for hopefully a break even season or real close.....don't forget Archie pulled a rabbit out of the hat against Dayton last year.....and if all else fails he leaves for an office job with another college or NBA team or league
0 x