12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Delaware
UBS Arena, Elmont, NY
Saturday, December 16, 2023
4:30PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: FloHoops
FREE YOUTUBE LINK: YouTube
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Delaware Fan Forum

Rhody, losers of three straight, look to breakout of this early season slump by heading to Long Island to take on the University of Delaware in the Holiday Hoopfest. This will be back-to-back games against a CAA conference team as the Rams lost to the College of Charleston by fifteen the week before. Delaware, who was picked 5th in the preseason CAA poll, comes in with a seven & three record. They have an impressive win at Xavier this season. Prior to that Xavier win they had three double digit losses in a row. They beat Brown at home, sadly something the Rams could not do.

This is the first ever matchup between the two smallest states’ universities. The focal point of this Blue Hens team is Delaware native Jyare Davis. This All-CAA Preseason 2nd Team player, averaging 18/7/3, transferred from Providence after missing the entire season due to a concussion prior to the 2020-21 season. He is a big athletic forward who has been held to single digits in scoring just once this season. La Salle transfer Christian Ray is leading this team in rebounding with almost 9 per contest. North Dakota Transfer Jalun Trent is leading the team in assists. He isn’t a threat from deep (0 for 7 from three), so the Rams can play off him & dare him to shoot. Guards Cavan Reilly and Gerald Drumgoole Jr, who transferred from Pitt & then Albany, are both averaging 12 per game & they are the Blue Hens best three-point shooters. Another shooter to keep an eye on in his limited minutes is Tyler Houser. Houser is playing the roll Ram fans thought Rory could do for us. Plays 8 or 9 minutes a game, an efficient three-point shooter giving you 1 or 2 per game. The obligatory free throw shooting statistic has Delaware shooting it over 10% better than the Rams.

Speaking of the Rams, they do have some question marks entering this game. Will Fuchs be back? If he is back, will they start with a four-guard lineup? I am assuming Brandon Weston will be back for this one. The Rams will need him in this contest. Rhody was extremely sloppy & lackadaisical with the ball in their last game, compiling 17 turnovers. On the defensive side of things, well it was not good at all. The Rams defense was about as structurally sound as the Washington Bridge. Hello Folks! Hopefully Archie lights a fire under their asses. They need to find their identity in this one game neutral site game. Get a victory here & then take care of business at home against New Hampshire & Northeastern to finish up out of conference play & who knows will happen come the new year.

When I looked at the schedule before the season, I had this game as a win for the Rams. Now 10 games into the season, I don’t see how it will happen with the way this team is currently playing. After last weekend’s debacle, I hope you didn’t cancel those FloSports subscriptions yet as this game will be on FloHoops. My prediction, Delaware 72 – URI 67. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
7-3, 0-0 in the CAA
17-16, 8-10 in the CAA (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 92 (237)
RPI: 90 (211)
KenPom: 132 (207)
BPI: 127 (242)
Barttovik: 125 (168)

Leaders:
Points – Jyare Davis 18.0 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Christian Ray 8.8 (Sr., G)
Assists – Jalun Trent 3.2 (Sr., G) (2.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-0
H: 0-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: N/A
Most Recent Win Streak: N/A
Match-up Predictor: 29.1% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Unread post by reef »

Someone said this is free to watch on YouTube??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI follows the Bryant-Towson game at 2pm

And St Joseph’s vs Iona at 7:00 follows URI-Delaware

3 games total

IMG_1464.jpeg
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has UR #202, #14 A-10 has 36% to win over #134 Delaware.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago Someone said this is free to watch on YouTube??
I did, yes it is
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This game I had as a question mark along with Yale, so I figured a split between those 2 games.
Unfortunately, I didn't expect us to lose at home against Brown.

This is a very winnable game, but our team really needs to tighten up their defense, which is something that has disappointed me all season.
Jyare Davis at 6''7" is their tallest starter, but he will be a handful averaging 18 pts/7 rebs and 83% FT.
They have 4-players averaging double-digits and their 5th starter averaging 9 pts/9 rebs.

Pre-season I thought Tyler Houser (6'9"/235) would start at the 5 with the ability to stretch it but he comes off the bench averaging 14.4 minutes.
Last season as a freshman at VMI he averaged 11 pts/ 5 rebs, 2023 All-Freshman Team Southern Conference.

Winning these next 3 games will go a long way in building the player's confidence going into conference play.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

pick'em game
0 x
:lol:
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I swear to god Chrisitian Ray has been around for a while
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago I swear to god Chrisitian Ray has been around for a while
Seems like that, getting the additional Covid season.

I remember him as a stud in HS coming out of Philly and then of course his years at La Salle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago pick'em game
Delaware beat Brown by 8 in Bahamas

Delaware starts 4 guards!!!!!!!!!
IMG_1466.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

IMG_1466.jpeg
I’m thinking Arch really runs the guys hard in practice this week and Fuchs and BW return so we will compete @ a high level . I think it’s close going into the under 4 time out but can we make enough plays to win ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am planning on going to the Delaware game Saturday.
Probably make a full day of it and watch Bryant along with the St. Joe's game after URI.
Hopefully we get a good turnout and fan support.
I didn't hear of any alumni gatherings or meet-ups.
Anyway, hope to see some of you there, Go Rhody.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 months ago

IMG_1466.jpeg
I’m thinking Arch really runs the guys hard in practice this week and Fuchs and BW return so we will compete @ a high level . I think it’s close going into the under 4 time out but can we make enough plays to win ??
Fuchs will not play Saturday
Concussion protocol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago I am planning on going to the Delaware game Saturday.
Probably make a full day of it and watch Bryant along with the St. Joe's game after URI.
Maybe the director of alumni relations will give you some table decorations wherever you grab food before the game and call it a meet up.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

IMG_1466.jpeg
Concussion protocol
1st ever meeting vs Delaware ! We met them In football countless times !
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago I am planning on going to the Delaware game Saturday.
There doesn't appear to be one for men's or women's basketball the rest of the year

https://www.alumni.uri.edu/events-reuni ... -calendar/
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Concussion protocol
We've played them 36 times between 1922 and 2022, however with their move we might have played our last game against them
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

Concussion protocol
We've played them 36 times between 1922 and 2022, however with their move we might have played our last game against them
Yep, that's what I gather.

Just probably hang out and visit with some friends.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
As usual difficult to hear the media asking their questions.
Easy to hear Kortright and Wright

Interesting how Miller had House and Fuchs take questions last game right after talk of altercation between the two

Then Miller has Kortright and Wright right after Miller started Wright and played him 36 minutes at PG. Both players handled the questions beautifully.
Kortright said Miller told the team no Championships are won in December. They are preparing themselves for later Conference play and Conference Tournament.

Kortright said Wright played well in his PG opportunity

Kortright said they would welcome Green. Green is talented and a leadership voice on the team.

Both players looking forward to playing at UBS Arena Saturday.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With Wright playing 36 minutes and Kortright 27 minutes vs Charleston, it will be interesting to see if Miller keeps those minutes the same vs Delaware.
Will both players get better playing with one another and will we see better passing with both of them together - similar to when Russell and Dowtin played together? Both are good passers who see the floor well and can find the open man

Another possible question down the road whose minutes go to David Green now that the 4 Guard line up is in place?

Love seeing competition for starting roles and for playing time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It’s a hoot that it’s tossed around regularly here that S Thomas is a better player than Wright.

Wright is a baller. Keep your eyes on this kid.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago It’s a hoot that it’s tossed around regularly here that S Thomas is a better player than Wright.

To be fair to both, Thomas has been playing way, way better for Albany than he ever did here. I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of "needing" to be the guy on that team and playing as more of a shoot-first PG, or to get out of Rhode Island, or something else. It's mostly been against weaker competition, but its not like he was roasting the Columbias and Armys of college basketball for 16 PPG while he was there.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago It’s a hoot that it’s tossed around regularly here that S Thomas is a better player than Wright.

To be fair to both, Thomas has been playing way, way better for Albany than he ever did here. I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of "needing" to be the guy on that team and playing as more of a shoot-first PG, or to get out of Rhode Island, or something else. It's mostly been against weaker competition, but its not like he was roasting the Columbias and Armys of college basketball for 16 PPG while he was there.
I think with Bassy it was a matter of putting all the work in this past off-season and maturing/developing as a player.
It takes time with some players.

Not comparing the two by any means but look at the jump Ish made from his 2nd to 3rd season.
I remember fans calling him out in his sophomore year thinking he will never be a solid A10 player.
Last edited by Jersey77 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It's not even a question of who's a better player right now. That doesn't mean Ways can't develop, but Bassy is better than him right now, and it's not very close. Bassy looks really good. He's clearly made a jump.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just another PSA: This game will streaming for free on FloHoops YouTube channel.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Interesting how Miller had House and Fuchs take questions last game right after talk of altercation between the two

Then Miller has Kortright and Wright right after Miller started Wright and played him 36 minutes at PG. Both players handled the questions beautifully.
Kortright said Miller told the team no Championships are won in December. They are preparing themselves for later Conference play and Conference Tournament.

Kortright said they would welcome Green. Green is talented and a leadership voice on the team.

I didn't know House and Fuchs got in an altercation? Not good...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe it is good.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Maybe it is good.
elaborate.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Maybe we’ll see David Green after all!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 months ago Maybe we’ll see David Green after all!
Well now it just depends on his knee

😮‍💨
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Green is going to play, I wouldn't expect him back before this TRO expires anyway. If we're going to see him, it'll be in conference play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice ! I still doubt we see DG tomorrow but who knows ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 months ago Maybe we’ll see David Green after all!
I hope he shoots 300% Fts. Gotta make up for the team, right?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago If Green is going to play, I wouldn't expect him back before this TRO expires anyway. If we're going to see him, it'll be in conference play.
The TRO is pretty much null and void

Arch said it was too short notice to add him back to the team and he's recovering his knee.

Maybe he will play next week if healthy enough.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago If Green is going to play, I wouldn't expect him back before this TRO expires anyway. If we're going to see him, it'll be in conference play.

Arch said it was too short notice to add him back to the team and he's recovering his knee.

Great. Another injury riddled star player who has never played for us.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

Tough to call him a “star”

Recent star players for us I consider EC Hassan Jared Dowtin and Fatts.

But from all accounts, Green would be a solid contributor.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

Contributor to what?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Contributor to what?
You called him a star player.

I said by all accounts, he’d be more like a solid contributor to the team, not a legitimate star like you said.

Do you follow now?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Contributor to what?

I said by all accounts, he’d be more like a solid contributor to the team, not a legitimate star like you said.

Do you follow now?
Are you like this in person?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago

Contributor to what?

Do you follow now?
He asked me a question and I answered.

Pretty dumb question to ask “contributor to what” in my opinion.

What else would he contribute to?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago

Do you follow now?
He asked me a question and I answered.

Pretty dumb question to ask “contributor to what” in my opinion.

What else would he contribute to?
So......yes?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Weston, Cam, and Luis all from NY, hope they play well in front of their home crowd.

Wonder if Ways starts again or maybe Weston.

Now that we know Green is eligible, when or if will he get some run?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Weston, Cam, and Luis all from NY, hope they play well in front of their home crowd.

Wonder if Ways starts again or maybe Weston.

Now that we know Green is eligible, when or if will he get some run?
Jersey, I am with you on Weston, Cam and Luis - hopefully, playing in NY gives them an extra boost of motivation.

I am looking forward to DG playing - the sooner, the better.

Let’s goooooooo
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe it is good.
elaborate.
This is what Archie Miller said recently……

His point is the players are too friendly, not pushing and challenging one another.
Some players have exhibited less than ideal body language on the court, coming back to the bench and in the bench.
So for Fuchs and House to get in a confrontation could be a good thing. Then Archie put them both together in front of the media a day later. Good for Archie. Could tell there was some uneasiness between the two but so be it.
Archie wants the guys tougher. He wants “way more…..way more rebounds from the guards.” He wants much better defense.
He has been pushing and asking for this but now it appears Archie is to the point of changing the starting line up and redistributing minutes.
An 11 man rotation is too much. Archie needs to find the 7-8 he will ride into Conference play. Defense, energy, effort and toughness is what he is looking for.
Will be interesting to see how he handles Fuchs upon his return but my guess is he goes back to starting.

Dec 8, 2023 @BillKoch25
Replying to @BillKoch25
Miller rehashing Brown -- 'We're not there yet. And we know that.'
Credits the Bears for their performance over 40 minutes Wednesday night. #URI

Bill Koch @BillKoch25
Miller -- 'Our camaraderie and togetherness through tough times probably is our greatest weakness. It really is.'

'The growth of this team, the growth of this program, our staff's concentration -- developing the team, developing the roles.' #URI
3:15 PM · Dec 8, 2023
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Archie can write a book with these speeches. He’s very good at it, we just need the players to react and play well.
0 x
GO RAMS
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

He definitely seems quicker on defense than any of the other guards
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Archie can write a book with these speeches. He’s very good at it, we just need the players to react and play well.
I think what you are seeing and hearing is a step.

Last game Archie started Bilau and Wright while removing Fuchs and Brown. Archie took Kortright off the PG responsibilities and gave the keys to Wright playing him 36 minutes. Archie also gave Estevez big minutes off the bench. He did these changes after having gone with the same line up for the 1st 9 games.

That is not just "writing a book with these speeches".
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Maybe it is good.
elaborate.
This is what Archie Miller said recently……

His point is the players are too friendly, not pushing and challenging one another.
Some players have exhibited less than ideal body language on the court, coming back to the bench and in the bench.
So for Fuchs and House to get in a confrontation could be a good thing. Then Archie put them both together in front of the media a day later. Good for Archie. Could tell there was some uneasiness between the two but so be it.
Archie wants the guys tougher. He wants “way more…..way more rebounds from the guards.” He wants much better defense.
He has been pushing and asking for this but now it appears Archie is to the point of changing the starting line up and redistributing minutes.
An 11 man rotation is too much. Archie needs to find the 7-8 he will ride into Conference play. Defense, energy, effort and toughness is what he is looking for.
Will be interesting to see how he handles Fuchs upon his return but my guess is he goes back to starting.

Dec 8, 2023 @BillKoch25
Replying to @BillKoch25
Miller rehashing Brown -- 'We're not there yet. And we know that.'
Credits the Bears for their performance over 40 minutes Wednesday night. #URI

Bill Koch @BillKoch25
Miller -- 'Our camaraderie and togetherness through tough times probably is our greatest weakness. It really is.'

'The growth of this team, the growth of this program, our staff's concentration -- developing the team, developing the roles.' #URI
3:15 PM · Dec 8, 2023
Did Archie or another credible source actually say there was a confrontation? I saw some erroneous tweet prior to the PC game from a fake reporter on Twitter that was a PC fan but that’s it.
1 x