12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Re: 12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago Archie is making $1.4 million to lose to Delaware by double digits in front of 100 people. Amazing return on investment.
Hell, Kenny Payne is making $3.5M at Louisville and they are 4-6 and lost to Chattanooga. Things could be worse.
How can we afford to pay a coach $1.4 million for these results? No TV deal, low attendance, zero buzz.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago Imagine the night before opening night, someone told you that, not injury related, Rory Stewart would play more minutes than Jaden House against Delaware in a competitive game.

Bizarro world.
I would have tried to cancel my recent donation to get us into the Alumni Lounge, aka funeral parlor…….ouch
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The fact that he blames himself and talks about all the problems is definitely different from the the previous coach. But it doesn't make things any better, and we keep getting worse. He's completely lost and its painful to watch.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago

welcome to the agony of URI basketball. He's not going anywhere next year or the year after. Better cheer for him to do better, or else just tune out for two years.
Hahahaha ok. Don't worry, I still go to home games and local away games. I'm not a fake fan, I'm just pessimistic right now. Green better be amazing.
He may be good / very good, but hasn’t played a game in forever. Gonna take him time.

He’s not going to be a significant enough difference maker where we contend for a Top 4 seed and A10 tourney title.

Rest of the roster just isn’t there.
Not worried about contending for a top 4 seed. Just finish in the upper half and I'll be happy considering everything.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 months ago Besides suspect talent, this team continues to show the key markers of immaturity:

• Blowing large leads in wins versus inferior opponents.
• Inability to show team cohesiveness and improvement
• Long periods of inept play allowing opponent to go on a run. Delaware went on 15-0 run in six minutes.
• Inability to come from behind
• High number of turnovers.

So far this team has recorded five double digit losses. Last year’s team had 5 in the entire regular season. This team often shows "give-up" body language.
This team is more talented than last year's but at this point the sum is far less than the parts. This team definitely has been ten ply so far this season and I don't see how you fix that attitude at this point
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You can"t teach maturity and confidence.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Effin Delaware my goodness.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Well, that's why we hired him. Because we thought he would be good. It was a great hire. He needs to light a fire under his ass and get going though.
Blueram, I don't care how well he did with Dayton 6 years ago. All that matters is how good of a coach he is right now.
welcome to the agony of URI basketball. He's not going anywhere next year or the year after. Better cheer for him to do better, or else just tune out for two years.
There is no chance that Archie isn’t coaching this team next year and the year after that. We may stink all four years, but URI is in no position to pay that kind of money for another coach and still be irrelevant. The team just isn’t that good. If anyone doesn’t believe it then how about all the comments about Green changing the landscape of the team. He never averaged more than 7.2 PPG at small college basketball schools and started only 10 games in his career. He may be the best from watching the scrimmage and Archie’s comments, but is anyone trusting Miller any longer and what does he have to be better than to be the best talent?
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not to make us feel worse, but the next two opponents at Ryan are no slouches.

New Hampshire defended its home court in beating Brown by 18 points.

Northeastern lost a heartbreaker at #22 Virginia, 56-54.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Not worried about contending for a top 4 seed. Just finish in the upper half and I'll be happy considering everything.
Honestly this is a very reasonable take.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think we need to put NIL to work. Pay the players based on games won. They win, they get paid. They lose, they get nothing.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If Cam/Ways keeps improving, Bilau and Fuchs return, Green eventually plays, and Zek/House remember how to play basketball again, we actually have some pieces, unlike last year. That's literally the only thing that's giving me a tiny, tiny bit of hope. I wish I grew up rooting for a better program but all I give a shit about is URI. The misery sucks, but when we are good, it gives a high like no other team in the world because it's so fucking rare...

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You can’t really be a disciplinarian type coach anymore since players will just tell you to F off and they’ll transfer if they don’t like how hard you are on them. And it appears you need some consistency and time to learn this stupid defensive system, which you will not have anymore with the transfer and NIL issues. Basically we are SOL unless Arch can adapt.

Why in earth would Cam stay with this mess? He will have many offers is my guess.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago I think we need to put NIL to work. Pay the players based on games won. They win, they get paid. They lose, they get nothing.
Yup. I wish I had millions that I could put toward NIL because I really would. I think a lot of us would..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago You can’t really be a disciplinarian type coach anymore since players will just tell you to F off and they’ll transfer if they don’t like how hard you are on them. And it appears you need some consistency and time to learn this stupid defensive system, which you will not have anymore with the transfer and NIL issues. Basically we are SOL unless Arch can adapt.

Why in earth would Cam stay with this mess? He will have many offers is my guess.
I touched on this before. With the AAU culture, most kids don't like hard ass coaches anymore. And what happens when they don't see results when being coached by a hard ass coach? They tune him out, pout and stop giving effort. I'm thinking this is already happening with at least a few of our current group.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago I think we need to put NIL to work. Pay the players based on games won. They win, they get paid. They lose, they get nothing.
Again, not how this works. At all.

I don’t mean to be mean but man, majority of the stuff you post just makes less than zero sense.

Find players in the portal now? Kick current kids off?

Incentive NIL? Win you get money, lose you don’t?

What dude?

I’m sorry but you have no idea what you’re talking about.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
Yup. I wish I had millions that I could put toward NIL because I really would. I think a lot of us would..
We probably already do have a lot for NIL. But just think of the motivation if every scholarship player gets $5K for every win. If they win 30 games, that's $150k per player, or $1.9M for the team. Then you have bonuses for post season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Again, not how this works. At all.

I don’t mean to be mean but man, majority of the stuff you post just makes less than zero sense.

Find players in the portal now? Kick current kids off?

Incentive NIL? Win you get money, lose you don’t?

What dude?

I’m sorry but you have no idea what you’re talking about.
I'm sorry, I haven't heard your ideas. Maybe you have none. I think coaches have contracts with incentives, correct? Why not players? You do realize there is no longer any meaningful relationship with player and school, right?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago You can’t really be a disciplinarian type coach anymore since players will just tell you to F off and they’ll transfer if they don’t like how hard you are on them. And it appears you need some consistency and time to learn this stupid defensive system, which you will not have anymore with the transfer and NIL issues. Basically we are SOL unless Arch can adapt.

I touched on this before. With the AAU culture, most kids don't like hard ass coaches anymore. And what happens when they don't see results when being coached by a hard ass coach? They tune him out, pout and stop giving effort. I'm thinking this is already happening with at least a few of our current group.
This culture has permeated even corporate America, we are finding kids leaving if they are not promoted within a year of starting. They don’t want to pay their dues, they think they are entitled to a promotion just because they did the bare minimum and have been here a year.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I admire those who still care this much in a meaningless OOC.

Teams got some soul searching to do.

Archie will earn his paycheck in the next 3 months.

Foolish time to make absolute judgements on a year that’s not half done, so I won’t.

Wake me up for conference play.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
We probably already do have a lot for NIL. But just think of the motivation if every scholarship player gets $5K for every win. If they win 30 games, that's $150k per player, or $1.9M for the team. Then you have bonuses for post season.
I believe it was posted here few weeks ago we have 400K NIL.

Now I don’t know if that meant 400K for mens basketball or 400K for the total athletic department.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Last time I checked Dan is a discipline coach. There are many like him. His players for the most part will run through a wall for him. If not then see ya.

Anyway, this is more than just wins and losses. If we were playing hard and COMPETING, that counts a lot more than what we are seeing out there right now.

The way we are losing is what's so hard to take. The hows and whys count.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That’s not legal
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago

This culture has permeated even corporate America, we are finding kids leaving if they are not promoted within a year of starting. They don’t want to pay their dues, they think they are entitled to a promotion just because they did the bare minimum and have been here a year.
Well corporate America has it's own issues. They want people with college degrees which cost over $200k nowadays, but want to pay like $50k a year salary. Math doesn't work.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 4 months ago
That’s not legal
How is that not legal????? If I'm a business owner and enter into an NIL with a player, I can't say I will pay based on games won?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 months ago

Blueram, I don't care how well he did with Dayton 6 years ago. All that matters is how good of a coach he is right now.
There is no chance that Archie isn’t coaching this team next year and the year after that. We may stink all four years, but URI is in no position to pay that kind of money for another coach and still be irrelevant. The team just isn’t that good. If anyone doesn’t believe it then how about all the comments about Green changing the landscape of the team. He never averaged more than 7.2 PPG at small college basketball schools and started only 10 games in his career. He may be the best from watching the scrimmage and Archie’s comments, but is anyone trusting Miller any longer and what does he have to be better than to be the best talent?
No.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That’s not legal
How is that not legal????? If I'm a business owner and enter into an NIL with a player, I can't say I will pay based on games won?
Correct, NIL can’t have sports related performance incentives
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That’s not legal
They should have all kinds of cash incentives out there, in reality, they do already, don't they?
Just make it like "The Basketball Tournament"....NCAAT winning team players get $3M each
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We started the game engaged - including House and Zek - and I was encouraged. Then the regression to the crappy play showed up and the players, Archie and staff had no answers.

The team is sloppy, mentally weak, exhibits low basketball IQ, lacks consistent effort and is underachieving from a talent perspective.

We are losing games we shouldn’t be losing.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That’s not legal
Hah, the rules also say they can't have compensation for attending a particular school.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm done on this nonsense. We suck and we lost.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months agoWake me up for conference play.
Chances are it will be an errant Rams pass that hits you in the stands while you’re nodding off during their lackadaisical conference play.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rhodyram22
ARD

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I admire those who still care this much in a meaningless OOC.

Foolish time to make absolute judgements on a year that’s not half done, so I won’t.

Funny you think conference play will be much easier than some of these teams we've lost to.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago

Well corporate America has its own issues. They want people with college degrees which cost over $200k nowadays, but want to pay like $50k a year salary. Math doesn't work.
Depends on industry and degree. Many high tech jobs are starting at $80-100k. interesting how we are stating a degree costs over $200k and yet we need NIL because the players scholarship wasn’t enough.
Last edited by RIFan 4 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I believe in Archie

I wouldn’t trade him for any other POS coach this program would attract

Keep at it Arch
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago Hey nothing to worry about folks!

We'll be good when we're good!

In 2035.
who makes the tourney first, rambone? Rhody, or the Giants?
The NY football Giants
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago I believe in Archie

Keep at it Arch
Great. Let’s extend him!
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 months ago I believe in Archie

Keep at it Arch
I respect your optimism, but what exactly has Archie done? Beat Yale?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago I don't think he's forgotten how to coach. I think the guys he has aren't as good as he thought they would be.
Agree with this , unfortunately it is what it is !
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

So disappointing, players in the portal seem to have some flaws, whatever they may be are a challenge for today’s coaches to blend into a cohesive unit. I think we are seen that play out URI.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago Archie is making $1.4 million to lose to Delaware by double digits in front of 100 people. Amazing return on investment.
Hell, Kenny Payne is making $3.5M at Louisville and they are 4-6 and lost to Chattanooga. Things could be worse.
How can we afford to pay a coach $1.4 million for these results? No TV deal, low attendance, zero buzz.
Doesn’t Arch make 2.3 M not 1.4 ??
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Miller agreed to terms on an $8.5-million deal — $1.4 million the first two seasons through 2023-24, $1.9 million in each of the last three through 2026-27.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 02026%2D27.
Last edited by RIFan 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 4 months ago Not to make us feel worse, but the next two opponents at Ryan are no slouches.

New Hampshire defended its home court in beating Brown by 18 points.

Northeastern lost a heartbreaker at #22 Virginia, 56-54.
That’s a great point OB I originally thought we would win those easily but now they are prolly toss ups !
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Best defensive performance? Was that when we left Jyare Davis wide open for multiple 3s? Or the demoralizing offensive rebounds we let up?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I admire those who still care this much in a meaningless OOC.

Funny you think conference play will be much easier than some of these teams we've lost to.
Look @ our first 5 conf games , can’t see a win there
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Miller agreed to terms on an $8.5-million deal — $1.4 million the first two seasons through 2023-24, $1.9 million in each of the last three through 2026-27.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 02026%2D27.
Ok with bonus and incentives pushes it to 2.3 ?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

22, I think what BM is getting at is those games (conf games) would matter more than OOC games. I don’t believe he is alluding to difficulty.

I think he discussed the point - with the assumption that the team would be improving - in other threads if not in this one.

Anyway, I am sure he will come along to clarify sooner or later.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago
Best defensive performance? Was that when we left Jyare Davis wide open for multiple 3s? Or the demoralizing offensive rebounds we let up?
Arch is searching for answers !!

Going to be a long season boys and girls !
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago

22, I think what BM is getting at is those games (conf games) matter more than OOC games. I don’t believe he is alluding to difficulty.

I think he discussed the point in previous posts - with the assumption that the team would be improving - in other threads if not in this one.

Anyway, I am sure he will come along to clarify sooner or later.
Oh yeah, I just don’t think this team will improve much more. I agree that the conf games matter more.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

It seems like every player who was denied a waiver or was waiting for decision on waiver is playing... my question is why did Green not play.
Why??
0 x