12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Look at St John's and Pitino for anyone who thinks this shit is easy. He's probably the greatest living coach and is struggling with a first year squad.

While NIL and Portal make it easier to acquire players they don't make it any easier to build a winning culture and program.
I would take that struggle. At 6-3 with a NET of 70. With wins at WVU and at Utah. Also at North Texas? Yeah, I would take that struggle.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago Yeah I’m an Arch guy , I like the way he carries himself and root for him to do well so I’m for giving him a full 4 years to get this team where it needs to be , if we are still struggling after year 4 then I am open to change
“I like the way he carries hismelf” shouldn’t be a qualifier for keeping a head coach.

And I would sure hope you’d “root for him to do well” seeing how he's the head coach.

Would be weird if you didn’t root for him.
I will disagree, 15.

First off, carrying yourself has to do with character - which gets to the heart of who a person is, how he treats others, communicates, etc. It is more of a soft skills catch-all saying and soft-skills, character are important, imho. Not the most important but important none the less.

Not to speak for Reef, but I believe that is what he was getting at with “carries himself.”

Secondly, I wouldn’t assume everyone roots for their coach deep down. Some fans may not like their coach due to a subjective lack or production, how he carries himself/herself, lack of like-ability or for non-sensical reasons and thus root for them to not do well or straight out fail. It could be a combination of reasons. It’s rare superficial behavior from real fans but people can be emotional, superficial, spiteful and vengeful at times and get carried away. But again, it is rare.

That said, I don’t see a problem with Reef reminding me of that when frustration (particularly my frustration) with the program is building. It gives me insight into his thought process and level of patience.
You are WAY overthinking this man.

If someone doesn’t root for their coach, they are also not rooting for their team, which is tune doesn’t make them a legitimate fan.

Now obviously there’s extreme cases like in pro sports where fans may cheer for their shit team to tank to get a generational prospect.

Like I have no issue with Pats fan wanting them to lost out.

But anyone in college athletics rooting against their coach and team makes no sense, and you’re growing at straws with your post.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

“I like the way he carries hismelf” shouldn’t be a qualifier for keeping a head coach.

And I would sure hope you’d “root for him to do well” seeing how he's the head coach.

Would be weird if you didn’t root for him.
I will disagree, 15.

First off, carrying yourself has to do with character - which gets to the heart of who a person is, how he treats others, communicates, etc. It is more of a soft skills catch-all saying and soft-skills, character are important, imho. Not the most important but important none the less.

Not to speak for Reef, but I believe that is what he was getting at with “carries himself.”

Secondly, I wouldn’t assume everyone roots for their coach deep down. Some fans may not like their coach due to a subjective lack or production, how he carries himself/herself, lack of like-ability or for non-sensical reasons and thus root for them to not do well or straight out fail. It could be a combination of reasons. It’s rare superficial behavior from real fans but people can be emotional, superficial, spiteful and vengeful at times and get carried away. But again, it is rare.

That said, I don’t see a problem with Reef reminding me of that when frustration (particularly my frustration) with the program is building. It gives me insight into his thought process and level of patience.

If someone doesn’t root for their coach, they are also not rooting for their team, which is tune doesn’t make them a legitimate fan.

Now obviously there’s extreme cases like in pro sports where fans may cheer for their shit team to tank to get a generational prospect.

But anyone in college athletics rooting against their coach and team makes no sense, and you’re growing at straws with your post.
I indicated rare, out of the norm and subjective. You really do not comprehend what people post. It’s amazing how tone deaf you can be unless it is just on purpose because you get off on it.

Yeah, okay.

Whatever you say.

Ooph.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago

so what if it does happen?
If it does happen, nothing of any consequence will really occur. Maybe a lineup change or two but that's it.

I just do not believe we will lose to both UNH and Northeastern.
And no excuses will be made at all.
yeah right :lol:. Just 3 more years guys!! Maybe in 2026 we'll finally be good enough to make the NIT! :D
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will disagree, 15.

I indicated rare, out of the norm and subjective. You really do not comprehend what people post. It’s amazing how tone deaf you can be unless it is just on purpose because you get off on it.

Yeah, okay.

Whatever you say.

Ooph.
Bingo Drums Bingo !!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 months ago

Yeah, okay.

Whatever you say.

Ooph.
Bingo Drums Bingo !!
I like the way Miller carries himself too Reef, very much so. He is tremendous at the press conferences. Compare to the previous Head Coach.
Miller does not just do Coach Speak, just repeating stuff. He is a student of the game.

I'm confident Miller will get this train moving. The A10 is a 1 Bid Conference with the AQ getting 11, 12 or 13 seeds. It all comes down to the A10 Tournament and winning it. All of Archie's moves now should be towards building this team to win the AQ. No way URI gets an AT-Large - that was never, ever in the cards with 5 new starters and many new bench players as well. But the AQ is the goal. Loved the move of Always Wright to Point Guard by Archie. Hope Wright grabs the reigns and never looks back.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Yeah, okay.

Whatever you say.

Ooph.
Bingo Drums Bingo !!
I like the way Miller carries himself too Reef, very much so. He is tremendous at the press conferences. Compare to the previous Head Coach.
Miller does not just do Coach Speak, just repeating stuff. He is a student of the game.

I'm confident Miller will get this train moving. The A10 is a 1 Bid Conference with the AQ getting 11, 12 or 13 seeds. It all comes down to the A10 Tournament and winning it. All of Archie's moves now should be towards building this team to win the AQ. No way URI gets an AT-Large - that was never, ever in the cards with 5 new starters and many new bench players as well. But the AQ is the goal. Loved the move of Always Wright to Point Guard by Archie. Hope Wright grabs the reigns and never looks back.
I think, if you're coaching, you have to be thinking, at the outset, 'at large', until you're not. Looks like 'probably not', at this point, but I can't imagine Arch started this season with 'at large' as off the table. Hopefully, he has a bigger ego than that?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Bingo Drums Bingo !!

I think, if you're coaching, you have to be thinking, at the outset, 'at large', until you're not. Looks like 'probably not', at this point, but I can't imagine Arch started this season with 'at large' as off the table. Hopefully, he has a bigger ego than that?
You are probably right 208, but the odds are actually higher to get the AQ I think

Suppose you go 26-5 with a 30 NET, then lost in the Semi-Finals or Finals. Then you have a good chance for At-Large. But that means having to go 26-5

But you could go with any record at all, focus on getting the right 5 starters, get them to "GEL" and get a decent seed in the A10 Tournament. All 15 teams have a shot at winning the Conference Championship. Lots of conversation about At-Large Bids but the odds are very high against that.

The A10 Tournament stands to break a great one because the gap from the top to bottom of the conference is not so great. Anybody can win it. No dominant team to easily coast to the AQ.

That's what is great about the Tournaments.

Of course this thinking goes against the 3-4 year process to get there :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Comments on the game:
  • 1st time Miller has changed the starting line up going with 5 changes. Fuchs out, Brown out, Bilau in, Wright in and Kortright moved from the PG responsibilities
  • Wright played a game high 35.5 minutes. He ran the team effectively contributing a career high 9 points on 4-8 FG, 6 assists and only 2 turnovers. Good chance he repeats in the PG spot with that effort in the upcoming Delaware game Saturday at UBS Arena in NY
  • Estevez wow. 2nd game high 28 minutes. Estevez hit 5-9 FG, 3-6 3P for a team high 13 points!!!! 1 assist, only 1 turnover and 2 steals. Estevez could push the shooting/wing guards Montgomery, Kortright and House for Playing time with efforts like this. No doubt Miller is looking for players giving effort, energy and shooting proficiency.
  • URI lost the rebounding battle 38-31. Ouch.
  • Jaden House snuggled with 5 turnovers in only 25 minutes of play.
  • Montgomery not a big factor with 9 points in 27 minutes on 4-10 FG, 1-4 3P, 4 rebounds and 3 turnovers and once again zero steals. Only 1 steal in 10 games. Maybe Zek gets going in Elmont.
  • Foumena with his typical energy and effort. 15 minutes. 4-7 FG for 8 points. 5 rebounds. 1 TO, 1 Block. He picked up 4 fouls limiting his playing time
  • Bilau with his 1st start limited to 13 minutes. 2-3 FG for 4 points. 5 rebounds, 2 Turnovers and 2 blocked shots
  • Team only went 3-4 FTs as only House went to the FT line.

With Miller making multiple changes in the line up the 5 players who have started all 9 games previously have to be wondering about their own starting positions now plus the guys on the bench now know that opportunity is knocking based on the playing time Wright and Estevez received.

Will be fun to see what Miller does next in Delaware and with New Hampshire 6pm Thursday Dec 21 and Northeastern 1pm Saturday Dec 30 both at the Ryan Center.

The Real Season starts Wednesday January 3rd 7pm vs St Joseph's at the Ryan Center! Battle for seeding in Brooklyn!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Comments on the game:
  • 1st time Miller has changed the starting line up going with 5 changes. Fuchs out, Brown out, Bilau in, Wright in and Kortright moved from the PG responsibilities
  • Wright played a game high 35.5 minutes. He ran the team effectively contributing a career high 9 points on 4-8 FG, 6 assists and only 2 turnovers. Good chance he repeats in the PG spot with that effort in the upcoming Delaware game Saturday at UBS Arena in NY
  • Estevez wow. 2nd game high 28 minutes. Estevez hit 5-9 FG, 3-6 3P for a team high 13 points!!!! 1 assist, only 1 turnover and 2 steals. Estevez could push the shooting/wing guards Montgomery, Kortright and House for Playing time with efforts like this. No doubt Miller is looking for players giving effort, energy and shooting proficiency.
  • URI lost the rebounding battle 38-31. Ouch.
  • Jaden House snuggled with 5 turnovers in only 25 minutes of play.
  • Montgomery not a big factor with 9 points in 27 minutes on 4-10 FG, 1-4 3P, 4 rebounds and 3 turnovers and once again zero steals. Only 1 steal in 10 games. Maybe Zek gets going in Elmont.
  • Foumena with his typical energy and effort. 15 minutes. 4-7 FG for 8 points. 5 rebounds. 1 TO, 1 Block. He picked up 4 fouls limiting his playing time
  • Bilau with his 1st start limited to 13 minutes. 2-3 FG for 4 points. 5 rebounds, 2 Turnovers and 2 blocked shots
  • Team only went 3-4 FTs as only House went to the FT line.

With Miller making multiple changes in the line up the 5 players who have started all 9 games previously have to be wondering about their own starting positions now plus the guys on the bench now know that opportunity is knocking based on the playing time Wright and Estevez received.

Will be fun to see what Miller does next in Delaware and with New Hampshire 6pm Thursday Dec 21 and Northeastern 1pm Saturday Dec 30 both at the Ryan Center.

The Real Season starts Wednesday January 3rd 7pm vs St Joseph's at the Ryan Center! Battle for seeding in Brooklyn!
Wow 35.5 minutes for Always probably means Arch likes what he’s been seeing from him in practice
0 x