12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago

They aren't bad.

Was I the only one that watched them play FAU? because this isn't shocking at all.
They had a good first half against Fau. They got run off the court in the second. Duquense killed them. They are an average team. Not bad, not great. It's not a team that should beat us by double digits.. Let's see how we finish the game.
They run an elite level offense (Obviously] and have one of the best young coaches in the game

They aren't average.
Cmon man.. We should not lose like this. Absolutely inexcusable. And if we just had a random bad day, fine. But to play like this after losing to Brown is totally unacceptable. I thought we would lose this game as well, but we are just throwing up contested shots, playing 1 on 1 ball, and watching them drain wide-open 3s and layups. It's really really bad. How many times are we just going to give up? That never happened under Dan. We had bad losses but we never lacked effort. What a fucking joke...
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They put Rory in in garbage time, after Brown gave up the entire store 10 trips down the court. And then, don't bother to feed him the ball to attempt a three
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

My boy Cam had a good game at least.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I'm honestly sick of the excuses. We have talent, why are we losing games like this?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We gave up 85 points...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They were a ,500 team not in a power conference…we should not get destroyed like that. I have been running errands so didnt watch this disgraceful display of basketball. Why only 4 FT attempts? Not aggressive?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago We gave up 85 points...
Charleston averages 72 a game. We average 74.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago They were a ,500 team not in a power conference…we should not get destroyed like that. I have been running errands so didnt watch this disgraceful display of basketball. Why only 4 FT attempts? Not aggressive?
Would have lost by 25 if they went to the line a lot.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Annnnnnnnd.... FloSports is now cancelled. Until next football season at least.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If this season were a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it today.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago They were a ,500 team not in a power conference…we should not get destroyed like that. I have been running errands so didnt watch this disgraceful display of basketball. Why only 4 FT attempts? Not aggressive?
Would have lost by 25 if they went to the line a lot.
Hahaha! Probably.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The women's team, picked first in the A-10 Conference, looks just as bad. Minus shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, just like with this team, I don't see how Tammi get's the back, she's lost them too.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The women team has looked bad since the Princeton game and even before that they were shaky. Glad I was at the Princeton game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think we just have no clue who we are and what we are trying to do

Just total inconsistency across the board.

Charleston is a really well coached team coming off a great NCAA season that's been trying to figure out how to make this current group work with its tried and true system.

They reached a level we dont know how to reach with this group yet because Archie doesn't seem to know what to do with this group. They just blitzed us and could not match their level of play.

I'm not sure about the whole not caring aspect.

His plan early on this season isn't working. I think he overestimated how well he put this roster together.

I'm afraid our ceiling offensively is really low with this group.

Defensively we dont seem to be phsyical or quick enough, but i think it can be good enough to win. However, I don't think that this group has a high enough ceiling offensively.

Look at how Charleston moves the ball around. Quick decisive passing and ball movement and multiple players with range and finesse around the basket. We have a far more conservative system, a plodding old school style of offense that doesn't equal what you normally see in modern basketball. We can bully inferior teams, but we aren't explosive enough against good teams.

I think we saw glimpses of us playing at a high level at times today, with the four guard lineup. The problem is it's the first time we've played like that for that long. We saw more combinations of players that haven't played together in real games much and thus mental lapses happened.

It's not the end of the world, it's just unclear how things are going to work out with this group.

Either we build off the good flashes of play we saw with four gaurds and find some consistency....or it continues to look like the last four years.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That practice facility shouldn’t ever be empty.
1 x
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago The women's team, picked first in the A-10 Conference, looks just as bad. Minus shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, just like with this team, I don't see how Tammi get's the back, she's lost them too.
This is way more surprising to me than the men's troubles.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I guess it was really only Dan Hurley.

We missed our once in a lifetime coach and we invested too late.

We’re a cursed people. Embrace the suck.

See you all in January when I convince myself conference play will be different.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Looks like I made the right decision and didn’t stick around in Charleston

My goodness
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I guess it was really only Dan Hurley.

We missed our once in a lifetime coach and we invested too late.

We’re a cursed people. Embrace the suck.

See you all in January when I convince myself conference play will be different.
So no more Trust In Arch? I feel your pain.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When we had the Freeman revolt last year, most people wouldn't put that on the coach, because, well, Bray had a history and what his family did at a live game was beyond the pale and you had to give the coach the benefit of the doubt.

We have now reached the "players have tuned the coach out" stage of this season.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago When we had the Freeman revolt last year, most people wouldn't put that on the coach, because, well, Bray had a history and what his family did at a live game was beyond the pale and you had to give the coach the benefit of the doubt.

We have now reached the "players have tuned the coach out" stage of this season.
And not even reached conference play!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

We look like a DII team. Where’s the talent that was hyped preseason?
Either that, or I may have to start believing the Indiana fans that Archie just isn’t a good coach.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 months ago We look like a DII team. Where’s the talent that was hyped preseason?
Either that, or I may have to start believing the Indiana fans that Archie just isn’t a good coach.
I'm with you on that... Maybe he just isn't a good coach anymore. That's entirely possible.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

My man friend went to CoC his freshman year and then transferred back up here to graduate from URI. I just mentioned to him Rhody lost and he goes, “that’s my team!” Referring yo CoC. 🤪🤦🏼‍♀️
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They were favored by 10.5.

They should’ve beat us by 10+ and they did.

Nobody should be surprised.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We keep resetting every season with a new roster and I think that plays a major role here. Basketball is skill, effort coaching and chemistry. Chemistry can’t be attained and lost every 12 months. We need these guys to stick around. Hopefully we improve by January.
2 x
GO RAMS
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Before I start blaming the Coach...does anyone know the reason behind him being fired by Indiana. Not the written but the fans and the players rumors. Was there an issue with losing the players
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 4 months ago Before I start blaming the Coach...does anyone know the reason behind him being fired by Indiana. Not the written but the fans and the players rumors. Was there an issue with losing the players
I believe it wasn't making the NCAAT. You know, the thing that coaches are judged on.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago They were favored by 10.5.

They should’ve beat us by 10+ and they did.

Nobody should be surprised.
Big difference between being blown off the court in the second half to the point that they play their walk-ons for the first time all year compared to being down 8-12 most of the game and lose by 11.. We all expected a loss. I didn't expect us to give up like we did. Not after a game like Brown. We are so immature, and I know Archie said he's never dealt with this, but this is your team. You recruited these guys. It's on him
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We started out well, something we haven’t done in a while, and Fuchs wasn’t out there.

Doubt that was a coincidence, hopefully Archie recognizes that.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 4 months ago Before I start blaming the Coach...does anyone know the reason behind him being fired by Indiana. Not the written but the fans and the players rumors. Was there an issue with losing the players
Archie Miller era (2017–2021)
On March 27, 2017, Archie Miller was named the 29th head coach in the history of the men's basketball program.[39] Miller's first season was a major remodeling job, starting with laying the foundation of a pack-line defense and valuing possessions. Early in the season, Miller stated practices were 75% defense, 25% offense.[40] That scheme showed early and often, as the Hoosiers struggled mightily throughout the season to find any flow or rhythm on offense, despite the defense making leaps and bounds in the overall rankings of Division 1 basketball.[41] With a surprising early second round loss in the 2018 Big Ten tournament to Rutgers, 67–76, and losing enough games to keep them out of both the NCAA tournament and NIT, including games in which they were favored, such as Indiana State[42] and Fort Wayne,[43] IU's first season under their new coach came to a disappointing close. They finished with an overall record of 16–15 and 9–9 in the Big Ten.

In 2018, Miller landed his first five star recruit when Romeo Langford committed to Indiana University. Langford, a McDonald's-All American and 2018 Indiana Mr. Basketball, was (according to ESPN) the 6th ranked player in the nation and number one high school player in Indiana. Despite getting off to a strong start of 12–2, which included 3 conference wins, the 2018–2019 Hoosiers struggled down the backstretch of the season. Riddled with injuries and the inability to shoot, IU lost 12 of 13 games before turning things around and finishing the regular season with a 4-game winning streak. Having put themselves back into the conversation for making the NCAA tournament for the first time in 3 years, the Hoosiers looked to knock off Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament. However, the Hoosiers fell short and lost to Ohio State, 75–79. IU was deemed one of the Last Four Out in the NCAA tournament, so they earned 1-seed in the NIT, where they advanced to the Quarterfinals before losing to Wichita State, 63–73. Thus, the Hoosiers' 119th season ended with an overall record of 19–16 and 8–12 in the Big Ten. The Hoosiers started off another strong campaign for the 2019–2020 season by going 11–1 before dropping back-to-back games in late December 2019 and early January 2020. During the bulk of the conference season, IU was able to win most of their home games (7–3), while stealing a few road games (2-8) to end their final season with an overall record of 20–12 and a conference record of 9–11. Indiana entered the Big Ten tournament as the 11-seed where they faced the 14-seeded Nebraska Cornhuskers. The first round matchup ended in an 89–64 IU victory, staging a second round matchup with 6-seed Penn State. However, on the morning of March 12, 2020, the Big Ten Conference announced that it would be cancelling the remaining tournament games due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[44] Following suit, that afternoon, the NCAA announced that it was cancelling all winter and spring championships.[45] This announcement officially, and abruptly, ended the Hoosiers' season, where they were expected to make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 4 years.[46]

The 2020–21 season was another disappointing one as the Hoosiers finished the regular season 12–15 overall, 7–12 in the Big Ten. Indiana closed out the season on a 6-game losing streak, leaving them out of the NCAA and NIT tournaments. On March 15, 2021, Indiana University officially parted ways with Miller and began its search for the next men's head basketball coach.[47]
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I do not know what to think any more. Bone said Archie looks like a pitcher that has lost his fastball. Maybe Archie’s is trying to live off fumes left in the Dayton tank. We are not getting the results we all expected and we were gaga over the hire. For me, bloom is off the rose.
Last edited by section(105) 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Coming into the season, we knew from the beginning this was an inexperienced team with good size. The big questions were how much overall talent we had and specifically whether our guard play would show depth and leadership. Now with one-third of season gone, we got some answers to these questions, but a big problem emerged – that was one of immaturity. This was seen in blown large leads and not dominating play against inferior foes, the poor start to the Northwestern game, the seemingly give up in defending, and we saw, apart from Yale game, little ability to come from behind. Inexperience is helped by playing games, but immaturity is more emotional and rather than improving can worsen. The fact is the 2023-24 URI team is a bunch of boys when what we need is a team of men who can handle adversity.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, we have two more seasons after this one before that stretch with Indiana completely duplicates itself, minus the covid pandemic (hopefully).

Saddle up.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good song, jcru!

I enjoyed that. Thanks!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I had this game as a loss so not going to beat a dead horse. I just don't see fight in this team. They scrap, but seem they are on the island of misfit toys.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think I've figured out Archie's strategy for the OOC games . It is called Rope a Dope . Play so poorly that when the conference schedule begins the
other A10 teams won't even bother to prepare for playing URI and the opposing players , no matter how hard they try , just psychologically won't
be able to get themselves up for playing the Rams . How can they get up when beating URI would be a no win situation . Who cares if you beat URI
this season ? Everybody is blowing them out , so you get absolutely no credit for beating them . Get up for the game after them instead .
Yes , this must be the plan because the way they are playing no other plan makes sense . Now let's see if this works out . Archie , if this isn't plan,
please let us know what the plan is because we just can't figure out what the new Matador Defense is all about . and is there some allergy to rebounding
and taking care of the ball that seems to be going around ? Ad is there going to be a trophy given out to the player who misses the most free throws ,
or is there a team effort to set a record fro most missed free throws ? Inquiring minds want to know.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

And so today won't be a total sports loss : GO EAGLES
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago I do not know what to think any more. Bone said Archie looks like a pitcher that has lost his fastball. Maybe Archie’s is trying to live off fumes left in the Dayton tank. We are not getting the results we all expected and we were gaga over the hire. For me, bloom is off the rose.
I posted the same thing a day or so ago, 105, regarding your opening sentence above.

Right now, I am not seeing a way out of the floundering and perpetual roster re-loading with mediocre talent.

We are a boat adrift without a rudder and sails.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also, Archie hasn't landed 1 4* recruit yet. Not one.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just catching up here after being at the women's game.
Another bad day of Rhody hoops.

As for the men, they need to win the next 3 to meet my OOC prediction.
Can't say I am shocked because this shit happens with a new roster especially not having elite talent.
Archie still has time to turn things around before conference play.
Like I said before, I doubt he lost all his coaching Mojo, so I expect much Improvement going forward.

I still plan on being at the Delaware game, so hoping for better results.
Last edited by Jersey77 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Also, Archie hasn't landed 1 4* recruit yet. Not one.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/bas ... en-hammond

You are wrong 99.9% of the time you post.

Surely it can’t be fun.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Just because people had a game circled as a loss at the beginning of the year, before any games were played doesn’t mean this should have been a loss. CoC was a .500 team, certainly not world beaters and if we are expecting to lose to .500 teams in the CAA and lose by this much, then we have a fallen further than is acceptable.
Last edited by RIFan 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Also, Archie hasn't landed 1 4* recruit yet. Not one.
Hammond is a 4 star on a couple sites and a high 3 star on others …Not that it really matters. Plenty of incredible players that weren’t 4 star players and plenty of busts that were.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

Surely it can’t be fun.
You are 99.9% of the time an ass. I'd rather be wrong than an ass.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

Surely it can’t be fun.
You are 99.9% of the time an ass. I'd rather be wrong than an ass.
You’re an ass sometimes too, but you’re wrong more.

Tough combo.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hammond is a 4 star on a couple sites and a high 3 star on others …Not that it really matters. Plenty of incredible players that weren’t 4 star players and plenty of busts that were.
So, we/ll go gaga cause he wants us. Archies’s high on him? We/ll see how that works out. Right now if Archie can tell me ice cream tastes good, I would think maybe, I will judge my self. Totally discouraged here, maybe that is showing.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
So, we/ll go gaga cause he wants us. Archies’s high on him? We/ll see how that works out. Right now if Archie can tell me ice cream tastes good, I would think maybe, I will judge my self. Totally discouraged here, maybe that is showing.
The overwhelming majority of people here go gaga for every single recruit and transfer.

Been saying for years there’s no point until they prove it on the court.

Maybe people are finally coming around to what I repeatedly say about recruits.
1 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

All fans love these ratings, that’s the only reason they exist. Even if they are bunch of BS once you get past the top 25ish. It literally gives fans something to do and look forward to during the offseason…and that is about all they are good for…just fans BS’ing with each other.
0 x