12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Providence College
Amica Mutual Pavilion, Providence, RI
Saturday, December 2, 2023
7:30PM

Media
TV: FS1
Online: FS1
Radio: Tune In Radio
PC Radio: 99.7FM/630AM
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Providence College Fan Forum
Another Providence College Fan Forum

Well, well, well…look what game is up next on the Rams’ schedule. The University of Rhode Island will travel thirty minutes north to take on vaunted instate rivals Providence this coming Saturday evening. As everyone knows, former Friar coach Ed Cooley comically infuriated the Friar fanbase by giving up late last season (finishing with 4 straight loses) and taking a job at conference foes Georgetown before the season was even finished. Providence quickly regrouped by signing George Mason’s head coach, Kim English. English is the youngest P5/BE coach at just 35 years old. The Friars are basically a glorified A-10 team as last season they had Ed Croswell & Clifton Moore from La Salle & Jared Byrnum from St. Joe’s. This season, they have two George Mason players who followed English to the Friars in Josh Oduro & Davonte Gaines. Although there is obviously some familiarity between the former Patriots & current Rams, Josh Oduro absolutely TORCHED Rhody last season. He went for 24 & 14 & then 27 & 6, while shooting it at 76% from the field. The Rams just had no answer for the big man.

Providence, who was picked to finish seventh in the Big East preseason polls, comes in with a 5-1 record at the time of this writing. They should easily win Tuesday night when Wagner comes to town, giving them a 6-1 record come tipoff Saturday night. The Friars made easy work of Wisconsin at home & also took care of Georgia down in the Bahamas. Their one loss come at the hands of Kansas St in overtime, 73-70, which was also in the Bahamas. Speaking of hands, Friar Garwey Dual threw hands at Dai Dai Ames late in that game. Along with the aforementioned Oduro, the Friars have 3 players averaging 15 points per game. The first one is the facilitator for this team, Devin Carter, who is averaging 15.8, 7.5, & 3.3. Whomever is guarding him (Kortright?) will need to put a body on him because at 6’ 3” this guard crashes the boards well. Some good news is Carter is turnover prone, in half of his games so far, he has had 4 or more turnovers. Hopefully Rhody will get some runouts off his sloppy ball handling. Finally is All-Big East First Team pick last season, Bryce Hopkins, who is averaging 15 & 9. Last season Rhody had a tough time with Hopkins as he went for 14 & 15. Some good news is Hopkins has been awful from deep even though he has the second most attempts on the team, shooting it at just 18%. The Friars are not a good three point shooting team, shooting it 30% on the season. Hopkins, Gaines, & Corey Floyd Jr have taken the most threes behind Devin Carter & the three of them are shooting it at under 16%. If the Rams pack in the defense, daring the Friars to hoist 3s, maybe the will continue the cold shooting. The Friars have one more double digit scorer in Jayden Pierre. He has missed the last two games due to a hamstring injury. Will be interesting to see if he plays Tuesday night against Wagner.

As for the Rams, they had what possibly could be a season changing win at home against Yale. On the surface that sentence sounds crazy as how a home win against an Ivy is season changing, but it is true. Heavily favored Yale came into the Ryan Center Sunday afternoon & built an 18 first half point lead. The Rams easily could have packed it in & set their sights on the Friars. Instead they fought back & got the win. It was their rebounding that got them the victory against the Bulldogs. The Rams had as many offensive rebounds in the second half as Yale had total. Second chance points were 18-2 in the Rams favor in the second half. Lastly, the Rams had only 2 second half turnovers.

The Rams have struggled against the Friars as of late, losing 3 of the last 4 and a vomit inducing 10 of the last 12 meetings. Time to get back to the late 1930s/1940s when the Rams won 20 of 21 contests. A guy can dream, can’t he. Playing at Providence is going to be a very difficult challenge for this Rams team. No one currently on this team has played at whatever the name of that arena is now. Only Bilau, Rory & Weston have played a game in this rivalry. The place holds about 12,400 fans & roughly 12,300 of those will be friar fans as tickets were never available for sale for just this game. Even PC season ticket holders couldn’t buy extra tickets for this game like in years past. For the Rams to win this game they will take advantage of Providence’s turnovers & their poor three-point shooting. The Friars average over 2.5 more turnovers per game compared the Rams, 14.7 to 12.1 respectively. The Rams are shooting it about 4.5% better from three. The problem is once the ball is downlow for the Friars, Oduro & Hopkins can score at will. Hopefully Bilau is fully healthy as they will need a repeat performance from him last season when he went for 16 & 5 on just 5 of 7 shooting. The Friars have won 9 straight at home against the Rams. Unfortunately, I think this trend continues again on Saturday. After watching how the Rams did against Northwestern & Washington St, I don’t know how they can get this win. Anything can happen when these two teams meet, but it has been a lot of Ram losses of late. When I become properly hydrated for this game, my tune may change but right now I don’t see it. I am tired of leaving Providence disappointed so please, please, please win this one. My prediction, Providence 71 – URI 63. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
5-1, 0-0 in the Big East
21-12, 13-7 in the Big East (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 51 (263)*
RPI: 55 (181)
KenPom: 50 (174)
BPI: 58 (258)
Sagarin: 39 (229)*
Barttovik: 39 (159)
*Denotes Last Season Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Devin Carter 15.8 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Bryce Hopkins 9.2 (Jr., F)
Assists – Devin Carter 3.3 (Jr., G) (3.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 58-76
H: 40-29, A: 17-44, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 12/3/22 88-74 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 - PC
Match-up Predictor: 7.3% Chance of URI Winning

Some final notes:
Some videos to get you excited for this weekend…

As a reminder, Providence students thought this video was a good idea to get their fellow students excited for the upcoming season...

Unsurprisingly they went 4-14 that year in the Big East that season.

Last edited by spookydog 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Who would've thought we would have 3 future NBA players on that 2019 team, more than PC.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Imagine Oduro's disappointment when he goes out there and there's no Thickou, Samb or Rory to be found 😲
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has; their #176, #13 A-10 URi with 9% chance to beat #53 Friars. So they’re saying there’s a chance?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If Bilau can neutralize the post, we have a shot.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Spooky you beat me to it posting the Late Night Madness video! :lol: Always my favorite when its time for this game each year!!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

"Providence quickly regrouped by signing George Mason’s head coach, Kim English. English is the youngest P5/BE coach at just 35 years old. The Friars are basically a glorified A-10 team as last season they had Ed Croswell & Clifton Moore from La Salle & Jared Byrnum from St. Joe’s. This season, they have two George Mason players who followed English to the Friars in Josh Oduro & Davonte Gaines." But but but the A10 sucks - every fan of a Big East team....
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We're going to need multiple people to step up and score, whoever Carter guards will probably be neutralized.

I'd guess Carter would mainly guard House, maybe Zek every now and then. Would think Hopkins matches up with Zek.

House has struggled since the first three games, he played bully ball up until last weekend, and is getting his shot blocked against taller opponents when he drives. Won't get any easier on Saturday for him going against Carter and their size down low.

Hopefully Kortright continues his post up game against Corey Floyd and Pierre if he plays, he may struggle posting up Dual who is very long, although Kortright is stronger.

We now have the bodies to not get bullied downlow, going to have to have our best rebounding game of the year.

Play like we did the last 25 minutes against Northwestern and the last 20 minutes against Yale, and we have a shot.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Front court matchup is very intriguing. Hopkins and Oduro are obviously better than anyone we have.

My guess is Archie will try and wear them down with similar minutes dispersion we saw last night. They’ll still get theirs, but make it difficult
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

What's the guess as to when a Friar Lurker posts here???
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NHRamFan wrote: 5 months ago What's the guess as to when a Friar Lurker posts here???
There’s a few here who aren’t bad, RJ probably the most knowledgeable one.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NHRamFan wrote: 5 months ago What's the guess as to when a Friar Lurker posts here???
Probably after dark. “They mostly come out after dark. Mostly.” Knute from the movie Criars. Oops, or was it Aliens?

:lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This game is going to come down to the frontcourt/wing battle with Oduro and Hopkins.

Depending on minutes I like Bilau on Oduro better than Brown - though Tyson was incredibly active on defense against Yale's bigs. Oduro is a nightmare for 3 reasons - 1) he's very smart, and 2) he's fast, but 3) he stretches the defense out and allows a lane for Hopkins. It's going to be can our team defense clog the lanes while our bigs have to deal with Oduro.

The real matchup is going to be who's on Hopkins/Gaines between Zek or Weston. That's an Archie question. But he's an absolute stud. Between team help and who can lock Hopkins down...that's going to be the game. My gut tells me it'll be Weston on Hopkins, because Gaines is a very long wing at 6'7. Zek is our biggest wing and a great defender. But it'll be nice to have the flexibility to throw either one of those guys at Hopkins and see what sticks.

I think our backcourt can defend pretty well. I like Luis in the presumed matchup against Carter. He's big and fast and has no problem banging down low - which is what Carter likes to do as well. I think our guys can score and shoot - which is a sentence I haven't uttered sincerely here in a very long time. I think our backcourt is as good as PC's, so it's really going to come down to how well we can contain Hopkins/Oduro.

We're actually quite a bit bigger and deeper than PC down low. Foumena/Bilau/Brown/Fuchs are a lot bigger than Oduro, and they really only have one backup in Castro who's a 6'10 215 beanpole. The rest of their frontcourt are freshman who aren't overly huge and play 4/2 mins on average.

This will come down to rebounding effort and transition basketball. The effort has been questionable, but there will be opportunities to turn them over as ball security hasn't been their specialty. Granted they've played some tough competition, but there's a chance we can get them running and steal some points.

After the Yale game I have some hope going into this. A lot will depend on the rotation and who's playing the 4 against Hopkins. If Fuchs goes out there and starts the game, I think we're literally throwing it away and we're going to have a huge hole to climb out of and we will get destroyed in a hostile environment. You can't start slow here.

Based on Archie's comments I almost expect to see Weston in there at the 4 on Hopkins. Let's hope. Go Rhody.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This needs to be our first complete game. Wire to wire, we can't have those horrendous slumps we've had in other games. My guess is that PC wins by double digits. I hope I'm wrong!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago This needs to be our first complete game. Wire to wire, we can't have those horrendous slumps we've had in other games. My guess is that PC wins by double digits. I hope I'm wrong!
Very much agree, Stevey, on the complete game and, which is why I think (like BM posted above), we can’t start Fuch’s this game as I don’t think he’s ready for this and we can’t afford a slow start ( note - these are my reasons for not starting Fuch’s and BM may have different reasoning ).

I think if we start well and play a complete game that we can keep it to 10 or under. Additionally, if we catch some breaks and they are off their game some then, we might even steal the game.

This is a very emotional game so I think anything can happen - even the unlikely outcome.

Full Disclosure: I haven’t seen PC play one minute this season. Just mainly going off who they have returned and Orduro.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Time for House to get it in gear.

Really need him to be a force offensively.

Start Bilau and play him as much as he can go.

Just two quick keys from me
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rams by 4, 65-61
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago This needs to be our first complete game. Wire to wire, we can't have those horrendous slumps we've had in other games. My guess is that PC wins by double digits. I hope I'm wrong!
Very much agree, Stevey, on the complete game and, which is why I think (like BM posted above), we can’t start Fuch’s this game as I don’t think he’s ready for this and we can’t afford a slow start ( note - these are my reasons for not starting Fuch’s and BM may have different reasoning ).

I think if we start well and play a complete game that we can keep it to 10 or under. Additionally, if we catch some breaks and they are off their game some then, we might even steal the game.

This is a very emotional game so I think anything can happen - even the unlikely outcome.

Full Disclosure: I haven’t seen PC play one minute this season. Just mainly going off who they have returned and Orduro.
how many current players and coaches between the two programs have been involved in this game before?

someone else more versed can run those #s. not many would be my guess, with more being on the PC side.

Difficult for it to be emotional when its just another game to the boys. next year, two years from now, some familiar faces going to battle, then you get your emotion.

i blame Cooley for being the wet blanket on this one.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If I’m them I put Carter on House and Gaines on Zek. And try to take them both out of our offense. PC doesn’t have P5 size up front so we should be able to attack the rim, however they are long and really good defenders on the perimeter. Could be tough sledding for Jaden and Zek. That means someone else will have to show up big for us to have a chance. And that assumes we can contain (we won’t stop) Hopkins and Oduro.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago

how many current players and coaches between the two programs have been involved in this game before?

someone else more versed can run those #s. not many would be my guess, with more being on the PC side.

Difficult for it to be emotional when its just another game to the boys. next year, two years from now, some familiar faces going to battle, then you get your emotion.

Last season vs PC Bilau went for 16 pts and 5 rebs against a tougher center defensively (Croswell). If he’s healthy he can more than hold his own.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

For URI. it is up to Austin Carroll who was on the coaching staff for the Rams last win in 2019. He has seen 3 games so far.
Second on the list is Grad Assistant Gilvydas Biruta who played in this game twice (2013 & 2014 which were both losses)

For PC technically walkons Luke Fonts & Kieran O'Haire have been there for 2 games. but they didn't play in either.

Other than that, no one has been in more than 1 of these games.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I do believe Archie has beaten pc at Dayton and at Indiana. Time for a win at his next school.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hate 'em. Hate 'em. Hate everything about 'em. Eff that school.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Regarding emotion, you make a good point but I think the players on both sides feed off the fan emotion once the game starts, at least.

Plus, I would think there are close advisors around the programs that can and have educated new coaches and players about the history of the rivalry - plus there is plenty of film to share, I would think.

Of course, I may be overstating the rivalry as far as the Friars and their fan base are concerned. The game probably only matters to us. ;)
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Archie beat pc in the NCAAT and a win when he was at Indiana. This is not a big game for him. English, yeah this is big game for him. Advantage Archie.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My reasoning re: Fuchs is twofold:

1) I think Archie saw it and commented on it with our slow starts and then how well we played in the 2nd half yesterday. It's clear he was talking about the Weston/Fuchs sub.

2) Matchup. Hopkins isn't huge. He's 6'6 and fast. Fuchs is obviously bigger but significantly slower. Weston is a freak athlete who will be able to stay in front of Hopkins. That, or you move Zek to guard the 4 since he's longer and Weston can play the 3. This won't be a game to play a massive front court. You're going to see Cam and Weston a lot in this one.

I actually do think you'll want Fuchs in there for 4-8 mins against their backup bigs that might slot in at the 4. But this will be a Bilau/Brown on Oduro at the 5, and then Foumena for all the rest.

Big coaching test for Archie. Matchups are going to be key.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Archie beat pc in the NCAAT and a win when he was at Indiana. This is not a big game for him. English, yeah this is big game for him. Advantage Archie.
We haven’t won at their place in forever.

It’s a big game for whoever our coach is.

We also have lost both games away from home this year, and I believe Archie only won one road game last season @ Loyola.

Rivalry, at their place, sold out, etc etc.

So yes, it’s a big game and measuring stick for our program. Our program also includes our coach.

Archie’s previous two wins against PC mean less than nothing.
2 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Archie beat pc in the NCAAT and a win when he was at Indiana. This is not a big game for him. English, yeah this is big game for him. Advantage Archie.

We also have lost both games away from home this year, and I believe Archie only won one road game last season @ Loyola.

So yes, it’s a big game and measuring stick for our program. Our program also includes our coach.

Ok fanboy. I'm just saying this game is not big for Archie. He beat pc in the NCAAT. Doesn't get any bigger than that.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago

Ok fanboy. I'm just saying this game is not big for Archie. He beat pc in the NCAAT. Doesn't get any bigger than that.
It should be a big game for him. This is probably the best team we will play the rest of the season. He needs to win a game on the road. The win at Dayton over PC in the tourney has nothing to do with here. They have to show that they are growing and playing well in a hostile environment even if they don’t win is a big step.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

My reasoning re: Fuchs is twofold:

1) I think Archie saw it and commented on it with our slow starts and then how well we played in the 2nd half yesterday. It's clear he was talking about the Weston/Fuchs sub.

2) Matchup. Hopkins isn't huge. He's 6'6 and fast. Fuchs is obviously bigger but significantly slower. Weston is a freak athlete who will be able to stay in front of Hopkins. That, or you move Zek to guard the 4 since he's longer and Weston can play the 3. This won't be a game to play a massive front court. You're going to see Cam and Weston a lot in this one.

I actually do think you'll want Fuchs in there for 4-8 mins against their backup bigs that might slot in at the 4. But this will be a Bilau/Brown on Oduro at the 5, and then Foumena for all the rest.

Big coaching test for Archie. Matchups are going to be key.
Hopkins will abuse Fuchs. Agree with your points on matchups.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 5 months ago

It should be a big game for him. This is probably the best team we will play the rest of the season. He needs to win a game on the road. The win at Dayton over PC in the tourney has nothing to do with here. They have to show that they are growing and playing well in a hostile environment even if they don’t win is a big step.
You don't think Archie Miller knows about basketball? About what his team needs to do? Cmon. The guy has been coaching in huge situations before. That's like bitching at Harrick when he was here thinking this is a big game, when he actually won a National Title.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Is it better or any benefit for this particular Rhody team to have no game in between for us before the big game (5 days off between games) ?

Would any have preferred a tune up game in between ?

I am not sure one way or the other. Although, I think it is good for us that we are coming off a good,
comeback, confidence building win.

What do you all think ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Is it better or any benefit for this particular Rhody team to have no game in between for us before the big game (5 days off between games) ?

I am not sure one way or the other. Although, I think it is good for us that we are coming off a good,

What do you all think ?
Gives Archie more time for his revamped lineup.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Is it better or any benefit for this particular Rhody team to have no game in between for us before the big game (5 days off between games) ?

What do you all think ?
I don't really think it'll have much of an effect. The team should be pretty much fully rested, which is helpful, but its not like they're going two weeks between games and rusty. If anything, if Miller is going to do a lineup change, having a few extra days of practice to implement it is probably better than having to prepare for another cupcake game that won't tell you much. (Even if we're kicking the crap out of teams like Fairfield and JWU, I'm sure they're still using practice time on their specific lineups.)
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

For me the absolute #1 thing about this game is URI cannot get off to a slow start.

And just for the record I think Archie probably considers every game a big game. I know I would. Like I consider every sale I make a big sale. They all add up.
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

He "needs" to win a game on the road...? They "have to" show...?

And if they don't win, then what? He's on the hot seat? He should be fired? The season is over? Season is worthless?

(Nobody needs to or has to do anything at this point. URI is 5 games into Archie Miller's second year. Dial it back...chill.)
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago For me the absolute #1 thing about this game is URI cannot get off to a slow start.

And just for the record I think Archie probably considers every game a big game. I know I would. Like I consider every sale I make a big sale. They all add up.
And the presumed lineup changed is going to (hopefully) prevent the slow start.

No more down 22-2 or 39-21. Can’t afford that.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Does anyone know about a watch party in the Gansett area for this game? Going to be fun with the 730 start time.

Debating watching it at home because I still feel like the tv quality/size is sub par in the area at pretty much every restaurant.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 5 months ago Does anyone know about a watch party in the Gansett area for this game? Going to be fun with the 730 start time.

Debating watching it at home because I still feel like the tv quality/size is sub par in the area at pretty much every restaurant.
Don’t know if it’s an official watch party but Mews would seem to be the spot to watch.

Top level is the best spot to watch games.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody Sody wrote: 5 months ago Does anyone know about a watch party in the Gansett area for this game? Going to be fun with the 730 start time.

Don’t know if it’s an official watch party but Mews would seem to be the spot to watch.

Agreed with Mews and top level offering up the best experience. Just wish they had larger screens. Can’t beat that it otherwise.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah the upper level bar is pretty nice. Good spot to watch the game.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Twin Willows is a good option in the North end of Gansett. Plenty of TVs and a URI-friendly atmosphere.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know how many URI fans will be there, but Tickets in Middletown is a great place to watch a game.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yeah the upper level bar is pretty nice. Good spot to watch the game.
They renovated that whole level during Covid and the first time I went post Covid it was like a whole new spot.

10/10 now.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago Twin Willows is a good option in the North end of Gansett. Plenty of TVs and a URI-friendly atmosphere.
This is a Twin Willows vs Twin Oaks battle.
3 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 months ago

And if they don't win, then what? He's on the hot seat? He should be fired? The season is over? Season is worthless?

(Nobody needs to or has to do anything at this point. URI is 5 games into Archie Miller's second year. Dial it back...chill.)
You have too much coffee today? Relax. No one is expects that to realistically beat PC, but yes they need to start showing that they can at least play with the better teams and have some success on the road. This season the games don’t matter if they win or lose as they aren’t getting an at large bid, but need to keep improving and most importantly keep the key players from transferring so they can make a run next year
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You have too much coffee today? Relax. No one is expects that to realistically beat PC, but yes they need to start showing that they can at least play with the better teams and have some success on the road. This season the games don’t matter if they win or lose as they aren’t getting an at large bid, but need to keep improving and most importantly keep the key players from transferring so they can make a run next year
Best way to keep players so "they can make a run next year" is to "make a run this year"
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, to keep players from transferring takes $$$$$$$. As we see across all NCAA Basketball. So, there is no next year, only this year. Unless Archie is some magician that can keep a team together for years. I hope he can, but recent events has me doubting.
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Well, to keep players from transferring takes $$$$$$$. As we see across all NCAA Basketball. So, there is no next year, only this year. Unless Archie is some magician that can keep a team together for years. I hope he can, but recent events has me doubting.
The recent enforcement on 2nd time transfers sitting out a year should bring some stability. It’ll also probably change how mid majors need to recruit forever.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Hate 'em. Hate 'em. Hate everything about 'em. Eff that school.
This x 1,000,000,000100.

Beat the mental hospital!
5 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.