11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago This weekend very much proved this team is not very good. The earlier double digit home wins over lesser competition do however seem to indicate that it is better than last year's team. Will most likely not see a dramatic jump this season but hopefully should see continued incremental growth.
Incremental growth is not good enough
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We played two teams better than us and we lost both. We will always go portaling but no you don’t give up on a young team 5 games in. Washington St would be one of if not the best team in the A10. We’re not a top A10 team…

I’m a little confused by Archie’s comments about Fuchs because he hasn’t been the player I expected. He’s young but when you repeat that he’s one of the best A10 freshman you expect more.

Luis was awesome. I know I get called out for supporting our players but whoever said Kortright came on as a favor was 100% wrong. This dude belongs and he’s a leader

Cam not playing when they went zone made absolutely no sense to me. Why not even try Rory? We know the one thing he can do is get hot. He can’t defend but the only big man that somewhat defended today was Brown. But not playing Cam was bad coaching.

I thought Brown was our best big today but I think Bilau is better than all of them. Foumena and Fuchs will have plenty of ups and downs so get used to this. That’s life as a freshman. The difference between them and last year guys was last years bigs can’t even hit a layup. Fuchs and Foumena have already had some good moments. Give them time…

House has one of the quickest first steps I’ve ever seen but he needs to add some sort of runner to his game because going at teams with size has been a recipe for disaster.

Zek is a stud. The buzz all off-season was Zek was our best player but after House exploded early he took over but Zek without question is our best player

Archie had a really bad game… This sucks.

Biggest postive of the weekend is Cam Estevez is the real deal. Him and Hammond are going to be fun!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I still think we are much improved over last season but we struggled greatly this weekend against the significant jump in competition and length. Plus, we looked out of it at times - like dragging our butts. I don’t get that unless there is a bug running through the team. I don’t know.

Anyway, when we are firing on all cylinders we can be competitive with better teams and compete in a mostly mediocre A10. The key is when we are firing on all cylinders because we look bad when we aren’t right now. Ooph.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago We played two teams better than us and we lost both. We will always go portaling but no you don’t give up on a young team 5 games in. Washington St would be one of if not the best team in the A10. We’re not a top A10 team…
So year two, with Archie Miller and a $2.5 Million salary, when will we be a top A10 team?????
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Certainly nothing against the young man. He's constantly cheering the team on and seems totally engaged, but at this point David Green equals Ant Harris. We don't need cheerleaders. We have plenty of them already .We need talent on the floor. What says if he gets his appeal denied he stays here. If he stays for 2 years and is the talent we hope is then my bad, but the 2nd year transfer maybe too much of a gamble if the NCAA sticks to being stringent with waivers.
Last edited by ram1980 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

spar wrote: 5 months ago This is tough to watch. Sadly, we have a lot further to go than I was hoping after the first 3. We look inept against a 2-3. Gotta figure that sh*t out, stat.
Yeah when they switched to that zone that hurt us big time

We shot 3-17 from 3 not good
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago We played two teams better than us and we lost both. We will always go portaling but no you don’t give up on a young team 5 games in. Washington St would be one of if not the best team in the A10. We’re not a top A10 team…
So year two, with Archie Miller and a $2.5 Million salary, when will we be a top A10 team?????
.500 this year
Top 4 A10 team next year possible NIT team
Compete for a bid year 4

That’s what I want and I think it’s realistic. It’s not easy winning at URI but I think Archie will do it. I don’t expect him to do it in two seasons though.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

That’s what I want and I think it’s realistic. It’s not easy winning at URI but I think Archie will do it. I don’t expect him to do it in two seasons though.
Hurley beat #21 Nebraska year 2. Made the NIT year 3. Tick tock, tick tock. Archie needs to get this thing going.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I. Have stated this before, crazy that it would be against WSU, where the guru of teaching rebounding once coached (George Raveling) where the first needed trait was the want to rebound, then taught how to do it.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Two positives for me.

1. Kortright will be able to body up smaller PGs in conference. More than held his own today. (I was told though he should be benched for Wright though)

2. Weston played good amount of minutes and didn’t seem to struggle with the injury. Very positive there.

I’ve expected this type of performance from Zek since beginning of the year, so I’m not counting him as a positive today because he should perform like this each game. He's our best player.

Also, did Fuchs have WSU spread? Kid didn’t look like he was trying whatsoever, specifically two times he turned the ball over and walked back up court, giving up layups on the break. Archie pulled him both times.

Need better effort from him moving forward.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 5 months ago Certainly nothing against the young man. He's constantly cheering the team on and seems totally engaged, but at this point David Green equals Ant Harris. We don't need cheerleaders. We have plenty of them already .We need talent on the floor. What says if he gets his appeal denied he stays here. If he stays for 2 years and is the talent we hope is then my bad, but the 2nd year transfer maybe too much of a gamble if the NCAA sticks to being stringent with waivers.
Ant never practiced a second with the team and had issues with his grades. If Green doesn’t play this year we know he’s eligible next year. That wasn’t the case with Ant. Green is just like the other hundreds of transfers that sit and play the following year.

Why would he sit this year and then transfer again?. That makes absolutely no sense.

I understand the frustration by some but blowing everything up is not the answer after one bad weekend…
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ram1980 wrote: 5 months ago Certainly nothing against the young man. He's constantly cheering the team on and seems totally engaged, but at this point David Green equals Ant Harris. We don't need cheerleaders. We have plenty of them already .We need talent on the floor. What says if he gets his appeal denied he stays here. If he stays for 2 years and is the talent we hope is then my bad, but the 2nd year transfer maybe too much of a gamble if the NCAA sticks to being stringent with waivers.
This couldn’t be further from the truth for the simple fact Harris was never on the team practicing, whereas Green is with the team every day.

Pretty cut and dry with that.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

the blue ram, hope an intsapot on on your Santa list.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

Hurley beat #21 Nebraska year 2. Made the NIT year 3. Tick tock, tick tock. Archie needs to get this thing going.
Pretty sure he beat Nebraska year 3 but maybe I’m wrong.

We were 5-11 and 14-18 in Dans second year.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

He beat them in year 3

Hurley's second team got waxed similarly against good teams.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing that disappointed me about Fuchs was it seemed like he wasn’t even trying , he made a turnover and didn’t even run back on defense , needs to show some effort
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Next time Fuchs walks back on defense and watches the opposing player lay the ball in, he should be benched for the rest of the game. Zero excuse for something like that and it has happened a few times now. Is this what they do in Austria? Players make mistakes. That's predictable. But lack of hustle should put you on the end of the bench for the foreseeable future.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago the blue ram, hope an intsapot on on your Santa list.
It is. Hah. Please gift wrap it for me . You know where to find me :D
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Next time Fuchs walks back on defense and watches the opposing player lay the ball in, he should be benched for the rest of the game. Zero excuse for something like that and it has happened a few times now. Is this what they do in Austria? Players make mistakes. That's predictable. But lack of hustle should put you on the end of the bench for the foreseeable future.
No doubt about it and it was egregious
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Next time Fuchs walks back on defense and watches the opposing player lay the ball in, he should be benched for the rest of the game. Zero excuse for something like that and it has happened a few times now. Is this what they do in Austria? Players make mistakes. That's predictable. But lack of hustle should put you on the end of the bench for the foreseeable future.
Wasn’t he a “pro” in Germany after leaving home?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

This is a very reasonable timeline and I think we are headed that way , I predicted 10-8 in conference and can see us getting that or 9-9
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

100% agree. Part of the reason I felt Archie coached a bad game was Fuchs walked back on D and he subs Foumena in for Brown. Fuchs should have been benched immediately. That was one of the most lazy embarrassing plays I’ve ever seen as a Ram fan.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m a little confused by Archie’s comments about Fuchs because he hasn’t been the player I expected. He’s young but when you repeat that he’s one of the best A10 freshman you expect more.

Luis was awesome. I know I get called out for supporting our players but whoever said Kortright came on as a favor was 100% wrong. This dude belongs and he’s a leader

Cam not playing when they went zone made absolutely no sense to me. Why not even try Rory? We know the one thing he can do is get hot. He can’t defend but the only big man that somewhat defended today was Brown. But not playing Cam was bad coaching.

I thought Brown was our best big today but I think Bilau is better than all of them. Foumena and Fuchs will have plenty of ups and downs so get used to this. That’s life as a freshman. The difference between them and last year guys was last years bigs can’t even hit a layup. Fuchs and Foumena have already had some good moments. Give them time…

House has one of the quickest first steps I’ve ever seen but he needs to add some sort of runner to his game because going at teams with size has been a recipe for disaster.

Zek is a stud. The buzz all off-season was Zek was our best player but after House exploded early he took over but Zek without question is our best player

Biggest postive of the weekend is Cam Estevez is the real deal. Him and Hammond are going to be fun!
You’ve stated multiple times Green was our best player in pre season practices.

Now you’re saying all off season Zek was our best player.

Which one is it? Kinda can’t play both sides of the fence with that one.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

Yea “tick tock” times definitely running out on Archie. On the hot seat already.

You’re totally right.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

100% agree. Part of the reason I felt Archie coached a bad game was Fuchs walked back on D and he subs Foumena in for Brown. Fuchs should have been benched immediately. That was one of the most lazy embarrassing plays I’ve ever seen as a Ram fan.
Yup, Fuchs really looked like he had zero interest in being out there.

I can understand being worse than the other team, but when guys are quitting early on in the game that’s pathetic.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Haven’t seen something that bad in years.

Absolutely no excuse with that and very embarrassing.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

Yea “tick tock” times definitely running out on Archie. On the hot seat already.

You’re totally right.
Did I say hot seat? Nope, you did.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

.500 this year
Compete for a bid year 4

You’re totally right.
Hot seat ?

He is a great coach and I wouldn’t want anyone else coaching our team

Do I want us to be better at this time - of course

But the fact that we aren’t doesn’t mean I would want any other coach

I am personally giving him more of a leash

He’ll get us there and stay there
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago
Wasn’t he a “pro” in Germany after leaving home?
Yeah, he mostly played in the German B league. That really kind of got blown out of proportion and the quality of the league was greatly exaggerated on here. Still, for Archie to praise him as much as he did all offseason I am hoping we just haven't seen the best of him yet.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Totally agree here. He has plenty of talent but that type of non effort shouldn’t be tolerated.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

You’re totally right.
Nice to know we have a KB translator to TELL us what WE post. It’s so nice of 15 to provide the service. :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

You’re totally right.
Nice to know we have a KB translator to TELL us what WE post. It’s so nice of 15 to provide the service. :lol:
The dude said “tick tock” insinuating times running out on Archie to provide results. What the hell else is it suppose to mean? Time isn’t running out at all. There is no “tick tock” for Miller.

Nobody should’ve thought we’d be winning either of these games.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Here’s an idea, 15. Next time, instead of translating what someone else posts, ask them to clarify what they mean.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We were outclassed in the front court, not in the back court

Zek, Luis, Cam and even Jaden (in a few instances) showed they can perform at a high level. Poor Brandon had two good looks from 3 today go in and out and I think he can be a solid contributor off the bench if healthy.

Our 3 first year D1 players got abused by two Power 5 front lines.
We will not face front lines like that again all season. Not even from PC, they will challenge us in different ways. Today at one point the shortest guy on the floor for WSU was 6’7”.

It is really hard to do anything offensively if you can’t string together 3,4 empty trips for the other team where you get a clean rebound and get out in transition

We are a team that will have to play uptempo to be potent offensively. Our guards are athletic, strong and decent sized especially for A10 play. They are mostly slashers than knock down shooters. In the half court the lane gets tight and their effectiveness is mitigated. We have to be a running team IMO.

But we can’t do anything if we can’t defend and get a clean rebound. And we literally couldn’t go two trips in a row in stopping anyone.

Fuchs had 9 turnovers over 2 games and maybe only had 20 touches of the ball. He was a deer in headlights and completely in his head to the point where it looked like he forgot how to ply basketball. Foumena is still raw. Brown who is probably the least talented of the 3 at least had a few glimpses and was easily the best of the 3. Bilau is going to help a lot.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

hahaha here we go again..

I stated that people who have watched Green play have told me he's been one of the best players at practice. I also bought Blueribbon and the Almanac, and our head coach said the same thing. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but Green isn't eligible yet bud. Based on what people have said and him shooting lights out at the scrimmage, I definitely think he would help this team, but I don't know if Green is our best player. He, Zek, and House were the 3 guys that were brought up as being our best players at practice. The main thing I heard about Zek is he's going to be everyone's favorite player, and he'll be the most consistent player on the team. So far I totally agree with that. Then there was a bunch of buzz about Fuchs from our coaching staff...

What am I supposed to do, pretend I didn't hear these things?? Ask other people who likely talk to the same people I do, and I bet you they received the same type of intel I did.

Since you're such an expert with incredible takes like we "pass too much" what are your thoughts on Green? Does he pass too much like the rest of the team?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I stated that people who have watched Green play have told me he's been one of the best players at practice. I also bought Blueribbon and the Almanac, and our head coach said the same thing. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but Green isn't eligible yet bud. Based on what people have said and him shooting lights out at the scrimmage, I definitely think he would help this team, but I don't know if Green is our best player. He, Zek, and House were the 3 guys that were brought up as being our best players at practice. The main thing I heard about Zek is he's going to be everyone's favorite player, and he'll be the most consistent player on the team. So far I totally agree with that. Then there was a bunch of buzz about Fuchs from our coaching staff...

What am I supposed to do, pretend I didn't hear these things?? Ask other people who likely talk to the same people I do, and I bet you they received the same type of intel I did.

Since you're such an expert with incredible takes like we "pass too much" what are your thoughts on Green? Does he pass too much like the rest of the team?
Here are some of my posts about Green. As you can you see I said he's arguably been the best player at practice. Keyword there is arguably. Let me know if you need a definition of that. Oh, and I also said I think Zek is better...

Post by steveystuds06 » 6 days ago
Green has arguably been the best player at practice. He’s going to be a great addition next season.

Post by steveystuds06 » 1 month ago
Regarding the "X-FACTOR" question from the Almanac, Archie said it's David Green. He believes that Green would have a "massive impact."
Archie said "He’s that complementary power forward that can stretch the floor. We’re giving him more freedom this year to play, and he’s been more capable than we imagined. He’s a very good rebounder and defender and is the key ingredient to what we’re doing.”
I really hope Green can play because it sounds like he's really standing out at practice.

steveystuds06 » 6 months ago
I don't think anyone thinks Green is better than Zek. I certainly don't. Zek is already a better player and has a ton of upside.
(I always thought Zek had a ton of upside)
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Needless to say, I don't think Fuchs is winning A-10 Rookie of the Year or any other award this year.
Maybe next year
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago Needless to say, I don't think Fuchs is winning A-10 Rookie of the Year or any other award this year.
Maybe next year
…….maybe Come Back Player of the Year?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thankfully I missed the second half meltdown. You can’t compare Hurley’s timeline to success with Archie’s. Archie has the new portal and was able to purge and add 9 new players, some with college experience. If this weekend is indicative of what we are in for this season, I’d say we are way behind schedule.
Last edited by RIFan 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Someone better win the lottery for the NIL or we’re screwed.
Maybe a dumb question, but...is there a 'no new NIL signing period' or anything like that?
Like, if a player goes from NOHEHOH at the start of the season to 'possible conference mvp' by December, could he sign for additional NIL around Thanksgiving? Not asking about likelihood, just if there are known rules/timeframes that would preclude that from happening.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Nice to know we have a KB translator to TELL us what WE post. It’s so nice of 15 to provide the service. :lol:
You too?

Yeah, I said something to the effect of "Wright will push Kortright for the job, minutes, etc" that somehow got "translated" in 15's mind as Kortright will be benched in favor of Wright.

Let's forget that the first few games of the season Archie was playing Wright at PG and one game Wright had 10 assists. Clearly Kortright is better defensively than Wright, NO ONE ever questioned that.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan wrote: 5 months ago Thankfully I missed the second half meltdown. You can’t compare Hurley’s timeline to success with Archie’s. Archie has the new portal and was able to purge and add 9 new players, some with college experience. If this weekend is indicative of what we are in for this season, I’d say we are way behind schedule.
Live by the portal, die by the portal.

You can't really make that apples to apple assessment, because the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Hurley didn't have to worry about his best players being poached by P5 teams while he was building a roster, let's not forget.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And yes, Hammond and Estevez will make a fun backcourt to watch. IF Estevez stays.............
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hey Stevey, that is an awful lot of information and I am not sure if I am capable of processing it all on my own. So hopefully, Translator15 will graciously come along and explain to me what you meant. :lol:
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

"translator15" just made me spit out my food onto the keyboard. lol
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

You’re totally right.
Hot seat ?

He is a great coach and I wouldn’t want anyone else coaching our team

Do I want us to be better at this time - of course

But the fact that we aren’t doesn’t mean I would want any other coach

I am personally giving him more of a leash

He’ll get us there and stay there
There is no way Archie Miller is in the Hot Seat Rhody15. He is 5 games into year 2.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15, URI message board's very own Inspector 12...

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Lol!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

The dude said “tick tock” insinuating times running out on Archie to provide results. What the hell else is it suppose to mean? Time isn’t running out at all. There is no “tick tock” for Miller.

Nobody should’ve thought we’d be winning either of these games.
Spot on! 0-2 was the most probable result, was hoping for 1. If anyone realistically expected us to win both after a 9 win season they need their head checked. We played better than last year’s team and had a couple positives…that’s a win. Rhody is still a 15-20 win team depending on how much they improve throughout the year. Nice improvement YOY and Archie is not on the hot seat. Loved Sebastian Thomas and his heart but he would have been blocked 10 times this weekend by their bigs.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
RIFan wrote: 5 months ago Thankfully I missed the second half meltdown. You can’t compare Hurley’s timeline to success with Archie’s. Archie has the new portal and was able to purge and add 9 new players, some with college experience. If this weekend is indicative of what we are in for this season, I’d say we are way behind schedule.
Live by the portal, die by the portal.

You can't really make that apples to apple assessment, because the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Hurley didn't have to worry about his best players being poached by P5 teams while he was building a roster, let's not forget.
Exactly…. Great post. It would have been incredibly hard for Dan to keep guys like EC JT Hass at URI all four years… The top programs in the country would have offered them a lot more than we ever could.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING