11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah beating Yale is definitely not a "signature" win, but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a very good win for this team at this point. But none of this matters because we're going to beat Providence anyway. :)
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I find it interesting that the first 10ish minutes of the first game were a disaster and the last 10ish minutes of the second game were a disaster and we played reasonably well for the 60 minutes in between.

I finally brought myself to look at the final box score and on a positive note we shot FTs well.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Yeah beating Yale is definitely not a "signature" win, but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a very good win for this team at this point. But none of this matters because we're going to beat Providence anyway. :)
It’d be a good win, but 99% of us would never think about or bring up the game again going forward.

We’ll never get a “remember that Yale game we won with 3500 people there” post from anyone.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago URI beating Yale at home in November will never be a “signature” win no matter what state the program is in.

It’s Yale. It’s the Ivy League.

Winning that game isn’t going to move the needle one iota on any front.

Even typing that out just shows how far expectations for the program have fallen, regardless of it being Year 2 with Archie.

A signature win would have been beating Northwestern, a tournament team with an All American.

I don’t know if I would even count beating Wash St on a neutral court a signature win.
Agree. You would hope we have higher standards than beating a team that just lost to Weber State
Ya, it's not a signature win but I don't know how we can act like we're better than these programs right now. We're coming off another horrendous season and were predicted to have another bad year this year. I agree with those who believe we SHOULD be far ahead of teams like Yale and Weber St., but our team hasn't proven anything yet. We lost to Harvard in the secret scrimmage. They are worse than Yale. I don't want to feel this way but I do.

We must demonstrate that a team like Yale shouldn't be competitive against us on Sunday.. Until we do it on a consistent basis, I won't underestimate any team we play except Johnson and Wales. Or, as Rhodyvault calls them, Johnson and Whales
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Lol you people are ridiculous.

It would be a signature win for "THIS GROUP" I did not say it would be a signature/Nebraska type win.

In no way does saying that a win would be a signature win for "this group" mean that Yale is some program changing win. Y'all are so ridiculous lol guess I should have said it would be a big win for this group since everyone here picks apart every little thing everyone says. 🙄

And yes, it would be a huge win for this group. Yale is likely an NCAA tournament team, they will be favored, they led Gonzaga for almost the entire first half in Spokane and yes they lost to Weber St...but Weber St won @ #23 Saint Mary's.

We have yet to prove we can beat any decent teams with any regularity so yes, Yale would be a signature win for this team in regards to what they want to accomplish this year.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

All I know is,

J&W would be a signature loss, of Epic Jerry Duh proportions. So let’s keep the “in game” experiments to a minimum, coach, and spanksgiving these guys.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Last year, our best wins by Kenpom rating were Dayton (79), UMass-Lowell (134) and Fordham (137). Everyone else was 200+. Yale is currently at 78, although the season is only roughly five to six games deep for most teams. They'll likely slide as the season goes on, but last year the top three Ivy teams were 65, 91 and 126. This would likely be a low Q1 or Q2 win for us, which we haven't had much lately. Not really a "name" win, but Yale (or Princeton) would likely be a Top 5 team in the A-10 at this point, because of how middle of the road our conference is right now. (The bottom two or three teams in the Ivy are super bad, but the top of the A-10 this year looks pretty meh, even if the conference's overall strength is better than last year.)
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 5 months ago …good run, lose coach…bad hire…lose momentum and about a decade of irrelevance and repeat.
I may possibly make this into a t-shirt and/or bumper sticker. With "Go Rhody!" at the end.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Lol you people are ridiculous.

It would be a signature win for "THIS GROUP" I did not say it would be a signature/Nebraska type win.

In no way does saying that a win would be a signature win for "this group" mean that Yale is some program changing win. Y'all are so ridiculous lol guess I should have said it would be a big win for this group since everyone here picks apart every little thing everyone says. 🙄

And yes, it would be a huge win for this group. Yale is likely an NCAA tournament team, they will be favored, they led Gonzaga for almost the entire first half in Spokane and yes they lost to Weber St...but Weber St won @ #23 Saint Mary's.

We have yet to prove we can beat any decent teams with any regularity so yes, Yale would be a signature win for this team in regards to what they want to accomplish this year.
PRT, more than anything else it would be a big confidence builder for this group, by beating Yale.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago All I know is,

J&W would be a signature loss, of Epic Jerry Duh proportions. So let’s keep the “in game” experiments to a minimum, coach, and spanksgiving these guys.
Yep eat the 🧁 save room for some 🦃

No fiddling around
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 months ago
Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago I haven't read through the entire thread...

With that said, it's hard to compare anyone to Hurley and the success that he had here. Hurley is proving with his recent run that he may literally be the BEST college basketball coach in America. At the very least he is in the conversation.

So to expect anyone to have immediate success anywhere close to Hurley is quite unfair. Given time, Archie has proven that he can build a sustained winner in the Atlantic 10. I am not comparing him to Hurley, but I trust Archie to achieve his own success here.
In my opinion, Dan is THE best college basketball coach right now. And even he did not have things humming here at this point in his tenure. As I mentioned above, I think the infamous Baron 2.0 thread happened in his fourth season lol. This stuff takes time.
I actually think it started with the PC game in his fifth season, the year we ended up making it to the second round of the tournament. Really aged like milk on a 95 degree day

viewtopic.php?p=299391&hilit=baron#p299391
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wait till we lose to FriarTown this year this joint will be Overreaction City…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Lol you people are ridiculous.

PRT, more than anything else it would be a big confidence builder for this group, by beating Yale.
Thats what I mean by signature win for this group of players. Beat a decent team and gain confidence.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago Wait till we lose to FriarTown this year this joint will be Overreaction City…
Good lord, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead, but the National Weather Service might want to issue a Hot Take Alert now so people can prepare.

Losing to PC always sucks. The hot takes that come for at least a week after somehow suck even more than the actual loss
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago Wait till we lose to FriarTown this year this joint will be Overreaction City…
Don’t think that at all.

We haven’t won in Providence in forever, they have two All League players and a potential NBA draft pick along with two GM kids who crushed us last year.

Austin Carroll is the only person (I think) in the whole program who has been on the bench for a game in Providence.

No players, no other coaches. Zero experience in that environment.

If we lose, which I expect to, I highly doubt people will overreact and crush our teams/coaches.

They’ll be around a 10 point favorite with nobody expecting us to come particularly close.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't think any of us expect us to beat PC this year.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago I haven't read through the entire thread...

With that said, it's hard to compare anyone to Hurley and the success that he had here. Hurley is proving with his recent run that he may literally be the BEST college basketball coach in America. At the very least he is in the conversation.

So to expect anyone to have immediate success anywhere close to Hurley is quite unfair. Given time, Archie has proven that he can build a sustained winner in the Atlantic 10. I am not comparing him to Hurley, but I trust Archie to achieve his own success here.
In my opinion, Dan is THE best college basketball coach right now. And even he did not have things humming here at this point in his tenure. As I mentioned above, I think the infamous Baron 2.0 thread happened in his fourth season lol. This stuff takes time.
I can’t think of another coach out there now that is as intense, driven, border-line maniacal as Dan. Combining that with the high basketball IQ he has makes him a great coach, imho.

The only thing that could potentially prevent him from being considered amongst the all-time college coaches, that I can see, is early burnout.

That’s how I see it from the cheap seats. I have no inside intel.
People here were calling for Dan’s head in year 5. They were idiots.

I’m throwing thinking to doubt Archie at this point in the same camp.

Honestly there were UConn fans calling for Dan’s head in year 4 after another 1st round exit.

I wish the people who have doubts for Archie were out in force with doubts for Dave Cox. Could’ve saved us a year or two.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Green-Unknown status still, but would play immediately.

Bilau-Fully cleared to go.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

I can’t think of another coach out there now that is as intense, driven, border-line maniacal as Dan. Combining that with the high basketball IQ he has makes him a great coach, imho.

The only thing that could potentially prevent him from being considered amongst the all-time college coaches, that I can see, is early burnout.

Honestly there were UConn fans calling for Dan’s head in year 4 after another 1st round exit.

I wish the people who have doubts for Archie were out in force with doubts for Dave Cox. Could’ve saved us a year or two.
I think the big difference this time though is that there is like maybe 2 or 3 people voicing any doubts about Archie around here at this point, and with Dan it seemed like the opposite and there were only like 4 or 5 of us that weren't.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago
Gonna be honest I feel way more encouraged after this.

Love when coaches are honest. He’s a lot like Dan in terms of his transparency and understanding of the game and his teams reality.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago

I think the big difference this time though is that there is like maybe 2 or 3 people voicing any doubts about Archie around here at this point, and with Dan it seemed like the opposite and there were only like 4 or 5 of us that weren't.
Year 5 versus year 2 is a big difference.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
adam914 wrote: 5 months ago

Year 5 versus year 2 is a big difference.
Yeah definitely, as it should be. I feel like the "doubting Archie" narrative has been blown out of proportion on here for the most part. I think the vast majority of fans understand where we're at and are remaining patient for now.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Love when coaches are honest. He’s a lot like Dan in terms of his transparency and understanding of the game and his teams reality.
Could not agree more. I really like his honesty with Bilau and especially Green (sp?) - not a lot of smoke and mirrors/vagaries coming out of Miller. Seems very honest and like you said, a realist. Also very calm and collected.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loving that dapper watch Coach Archie !!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Good lord, I wasn't even thinking that far ahead, but the National Weather Service might want to issue a Hot Take Alert now so people can prepare.

Losing to PC always sucks. The hot takes that come for at least a week after somehow suck even more than the actual loss
Depends on how the game goes...sometimes the Hot Takes can be more entertaining
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago

Could not agree more. I really like his honesty with Bilau and especially Green (sp?) - not a lot of smoke and mirrors/vagaries coming out of Miller. Seems very honest and like you said, a realist. Also very calm and collected.
I agree also , very refreshing to hear a coach talk about his team like that , I like Coach Arch more and more each passing day !
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Refreshing interview. I can listen to Archie talk bb for hours.

Thank you for posting it, 05. 👍🏼
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That clip is very good, and it’s so refreshing to be at a point where listening to these 10 minute sound notes is worth it
2 x