Why does our band get smaller each year?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Why does our band get smaller each year?

Unread post by OBRAM »

The band's halftime show was very good today but why does the band shrink in members?
From 10 years ago.
https://youtu.be/aEbsHDo24SQ?si=LCYAQmM0RGukr3FM
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: Why does our band get smaller each year?

Unread post by rjv »

On Saturday morning of a home game The Band would play from Fine Arts to Meade Stadium.
Yesterday............Getting old!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also noticed this from the games I’ve attended, budget cuts? Pretty noticeable.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Also noticed this from the games I’ve attended, budget cuts? Pretty noticeable.
And the budget cuts may not have anything to do with URI. Music education programs have been getting cut at the lower grade levels for decades. Far less kids are learning to play instruments these days. Few high schools even have marching bands anymore. Want proof, go to any local parade. There are few area bands left anymore to march.
3 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

As a fairly recent Ram Band Alumni, there have been a few factors affecting band enrollment numbers. I think recently the biggest factor was everything that happened with COVID. No matter how you stand on how all that was handled, with everything shutting down and going virtual there was a gap where a lot of high school and middle school students dropped out of band or didn't get the chance to start. At the URI level, the band missed a whole season of both basketball and football. Missing a whole season essentially lost a whole class of freshman to enroll and causes others to drop it. This also lead to a lack continuity that saw some traditions disappear briefly (the march from down the hill was changed due to the bands rehearsal field being moved from the Fine Arts parking lot to a random field at the bottom of campus to now the football practice field prior to COVID). Several recent alumni have worked to bring the traditions back but the numbers will take time and success in both football and basketball.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jake
Thank you taking the time to provide that explanation. Fully understand
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

When I played in 70-71, we got a music credit for playing. Do they still get that?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

The Ram Band can make a positive impression on young people thinking about coming to URI, regardless of one's enthusiasm for sports. Prood I point, River City.
https://youtu.be/hdd6q0pW4DM?si=4i5wMlc5GdqFebqO
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago When I played in 70-71, we got a music credit for playing. Do they still get that?
You get credit for marching band because it has 3 set rehearsal times a week like a class. If I remember correctly, the Pep band was not for credit as there was only a couple rehearsals outside of right before games.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Does anyone know if the band fraternity/Sorority Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Bata Sigma still exists on campus.
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

rjv wrote: 5 months ago Does anyone know if the band fraternity/Sorority Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Bata Sigma still exists on campus.
Can confirm both do still exist. In my time, they generally were more affiliated to the Music program as a whole and parts of marching band. Did not have much hand in the pep band activities.
0 x
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

I'm not sure on the band but do have a question on the cheerleader and pep squads. They are excellent in what they do but I wonder why with over 60 members there are no girls of color.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

3mm's wrote: 5 months ago I'm not sure on the band but do have a question on the cheerleader and pep squads. They are excellent in what they do but I wonder why with over 60 members there are no girls of color.
Talk to the new "VP in charge of comfort"?
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

...and then this one time, at band camp...
1 x
:lol:
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

3mm's wrote: 5 months ago I'm not sure on the band but do have a question on the cheerleader and pep squads. They are excellent in what they do but I wonder why with over 60 members there are no girls of color.
Why don't we have any males? We did at one time, maybe gymnastic students. Other schools have males to hold up the females.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

South Dakota State Band, looks like 200 musicians, and the enrollment is about 11,000

https://www.sdstate.edu/school-performi ... ching-band
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

OBRAM wrote: 4 months ago South Dakota State Band, looks like 200 musicians, and the enrollment is about 11,000

https://www.sdstate.edu/school-performi ... ching-band
While similar in size and being a state school at the same level of football, not very similar to URI. Their football team has a longer history of success, they are undefeated and in the national championship game this year and have made the playoffs for the past 12 seasons. They also have much nicer fine arts facilities than URI which attracts musicians or music minded people to the school compare the band performance venues:
2018-01-08.jpg
PAC Larson Concert Hall.jpg
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Clearly we need to step up our NIL package if we want to attract elite band members.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Budget constraints leave women’s basketball without URI band for postseason

https://rhodycigar.com/2024/02/15/budge ... ostseason/
0 x