11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Wagner College
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Tuesday, November 14, 2023
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
I couldn’t find a Wagner Fan Forum, so here is their men’s basketball page
GoRhody Game Notes

Rhode Island 2, Connecticut schools 0. Next up for Rhode Island is a team a little further west of Connecticut as they host Staten Island’s own, Wagner College. Wagner opened the young season by traveling to the Bronx & lost a tight match-up in overtime by just 4. They licked their wounds & blew out DII school Molloy. Wagner has some familiarity with traveling to the Ocean State as the last time Wagner played in the state of Rhode Island in March of last year, there was a brawl in the stands when they played Bryant in the NEC Championship. Wagner’s coach, Donald Copeland, enters his second season at the helm. He was hired as an assistant coach at Wagner when Bashir Mason was there & while in high school Copeland played for Bob Hurley at St. Anthony’s in the late 90s/early 00s.

Preseason polls picked Wagner to finish in the middle of the pack at fifth in the nine team Northeast Conference. Leading the team in scoring (& apparently also leading the team in rape indictments) is junior guard Melvin Council Jr, with 17 points per game. He is also leading the team in assists with former Saint Joe’s guard Rahmir Moore at 2 per game. Junior college transfer from Monroe College, Tyke Kelton, is leading the team in rebounding. Last season, Wagner was one of three Division I teams to finish in the country’s top-40 in offensive & defensive rebounding rate. In case you were wondering, San Jose State & Purdue were the other two teams to do that. Kelton is currently the only other double-digit scorer behind Council.

For the Rams, they have looked strong so far after easily taking down both Central Connecticut State & Fairfield. The Rams lead wire to wire in their last game & have only been down to the opponent for just a couple of minutes this season. Coming out like a house of fire this season has been Jaden House. He is averaging 23.5 points for the first half of the Fairfield game it looked like he was going to outscore the Stags. As good as things have been going so far this season, the Rams do need to shoot better from the charity stripe. In blow outs, shooting at 53.8 isn’t a big deal but come conference play those will matter immensely. Currently Rhody has only 2 players shooting it over 50% from the line (House at 57.1% & Zek at 75%). Another thing to keep an eye on is how Rhody closes games. The Rams have had large second half leads seem not so large at the end of the game. Against CCSU they were up 24 & it finished at 11 while against Fairfield they were up 34 & it finished at 13. Hopefully this was because they were up so big & took their foot off the gas & not a sign of things to come. They definitely will need to close games strong as the opponents get tougher as the season progresses.

The Rams have never beaten Wagner, losing to them the one time they played them in 2005. I think that losing streak stops Tuesday night. This game should be closer than the other games this season as they gave Fordham a run for their money at Rose Hill. If Rhody plays 40 minutes of basketball, they win this one. My prediction, URI 74 – Wagner 67. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
1-1, 0-0 in the NEC
15-13, 8-8 in the NEC (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 303 (263)*
RPI: 276 (267)
KenPom: 291 (187)
BPI: 279 (280)
Sagarin: 312 (229)*
Barttovik: 270 (166)
*Denotes Last Season Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Melvin Council Jr. 17.0 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Tyje Kelton 7.5 (Jr., G)
Assists – Melvin Council Jr. 2.0 (Jr., G) (1.0 TO per game), Rahmir Moore 2.0 (Sr., G) (2.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-1
H: 0-1, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/17/05 63-61 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 - Wagner
Match-up Predictor: 64.4% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm with you spooky - I think this will be a stiffer test than our first two games, but one we should still handle. Two of their three leading rebounders are a 6'5", 200 pound wing and a 6'7", 190 forward, so its another team that shouldn't really have the beef inside to bother our big men too much. They have 20 total assists in two games, which also suggests to me that one-on-one defense will be important, since they're probably not going to be whipping the ball around on offense.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hit free throws and rebound and we should win comfortably. And don’t play the bench until under 3 min.
1 x
GO RAMS
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rams by 9
0 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Spooky,

I don't see a message board for Wagner. I have noticed some teams, especially smaller schools, make their message boards private as they have had issues in the past.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

FWIW…..Team Rankings now has URI at #197th ranked, #14 A-10 with 73% to win over #265 Wagner.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Idk guys...they pushed A-10 powerhouse Fordham to the brink! They must have a sensational group of basketball players!

Boy golly-gee will this be a toughie!
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Let’s Fuch them up
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 5 months ago Let’s Fuch them up
Come in our HOUSE you ALWAYS gon get FUCHED up.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KenPom gives #187 Rhode Island a 79% chance of beating #291 Wagner with a predicted final of 72-63
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago KenPom gives #187 Rhode Island a 79% chance of beating #291 Wagner with a predicted final of 72-63
Hope Vegas feels that way! Easy money!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

3-0 baby heading to Mohegan !!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago I'm with you spooky - I think this will be a stiffer test than our first two games, but one we should still handle. Two of their three leading rebounders are a 6'5", 200 pound wing and a 6'7", 190 forward, so its another team that shouldn't really have the beef inside to bother our big men too much. They have 20 total assists in two games, which also suggests to me that one-on-one defense will be important, since they're probably not going to be whipping the ball around on offense.
I am thinking similarly, SG, as to the result of this game.

I will add that I would like to see us step it up on D. When I say that, I am going off listening to the 2 games so far and off the stats therefore, my perception is limited.

Can you all who have watched the team post on what you think how we are doing on D ? Are we out of position at times ? Do we look like we are struggling some with Archie’s pack-line D ?

Thanks!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
Would be a nice banner in the vein of WILL MBANG til you can’t SEAWRIGHT
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

To me, probably the best thing that has come out of all the player movement...impending inaccuracy of "the preseason polls"
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago I'm with you spooky - I think this will be a stiffer test than our first two games, but one we should still handle. Two of their three leading rebounders are a 6'5", 200 pound wing and a 6'7", 190 forward, so its another team that shouldn't really have the beef inside to bother our big men too much. They have 20 total assists in two games, which also suggests to me that one-on-one defense will be important, since they're probably not going to be whipping the ball around on offense.

I will add that I would like to see us step it up on D. When I say that, I am going off listening to the 2 games so far and off the stats therefore, my perception is limited.

Can you all who have watched the team post on what you think how we are doing on D ? Are we out of position at times ? Do we look like we are struggling some with Archie’s pack-line D ?

Thanks!
Our starting 5 have been I’ve said pretty decent when it comes to playing D one on one with stretches with the main guys out of the floor with us going up by 25 in the first game and 34 in the second game with good defensive presence and us going on runs, the only thing that I’ve seen with my eyes is when Fuchs gets matched up with a guard when someone goes small on us he doesn’t get out to the perimeter in time , but when that has happened Archie is quick to bring in B West to match up w the guard but other than that it’s been fine.

The one thing that has driven me nuts is boxing out on D on the first Miss it seems like there’s always a deflection and we aren’t there for the second ball, it’s been fine since we’ve blown out these two first games but when it comes to teams like PC, Northwestern and top A10 teams we will be punished for that
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 5 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Thanks!
Our starting 5 have been I’ve said pretty decent when it comes to playing D one on one with stretches with the main guys out of the floor with us going up by 25 in the first game and 34 in the second game with good defensive presence and us going on runs, the only thing that I’ve seen with my eyes is when Fuchs gets matched up with a guard when someone goes small on us he doesn’t get out to the perimeter in time , but when that has happened Archie is quick to bring in B West to match up w the guard but other than that it’s been fine.

The one thing that has driven me nuts is boxing out on D on the first Miss it seems like there’s always a deflection and we aren’t there for the second ball, it’s been fine since we’ve blown out these two first games but when it comes to teams like PC, Northwestern and top A10 teams we will be punished for that
Yeah I noticed that too , defensive rebounding is something we need to work on hopefully Bilat helps that
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

“The Dan Hurley Matchup”
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

D is tough to know as while the D did slack off later, it was with a large advantage. That does need to be addressed. For now, FT shooting and rebounding are bigger concerns.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We have heard say the Archie Packline defense is difficult to learn, I guess part of that is sustaining it for a full 40. We/ll see a noticeable difference against Wagner?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago We have heard say the Archie Packline defense is difficult to learn, I guess part of that is sustaining it for a full 40. We/ll see a noticeable difference against Wagner?
Don’t think it’s too tough to learn, we just had minimal talent last year.
4 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
section(105) wrote: 5 months ago We have heard say the Archie Packline defense is difficult to learn, I guess part of that is sustaining it for a full 40. We/ll see a noticeable difference against Wagner?
Agree with this. It’s being made out to be the Pythagorean theorem. It’s not.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago
Agree with this. It’s being made out to be the Pythagorean theorem. It’s not.
It’s like the isosceles triangle meets the quadratic equation.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, originally the excuse was that the pack line takes at least a year to learn. Magically that's not an issue anymore I guess. :lol:
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I think the most difficult part of it is to remain disciplined to the scheme because you have to resist the urge to deviate and it's kind of "unnatural"...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago I think the most difficult part of it is to remain disciplined to the scheme because you have to resist the urge to deviate and it's kind of "unnatural"...

4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Yeah, originally the excuse was that the pack line takes at least a year to learn. Magically that's not an issue anymore I guess. :lol:
Hey, it's a wonderful excuse that many people just swallowed whole and didn't think twice.

Beats admitting last year that your team was one of the least talented in the Conference by a country mile.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, there were people carrying a torch for the likes of Alex Tchikou and Jalen Carey for crying out loud.

"We need Carey to stick around to show the new guards the ropes".

Does it look like our new guards need to learn anything from Carey?

Seriously, what were they going to learn? How to sprint down the court 100 mph full speed and lose the ball in the process?

We have guys who can get down the court that fast and actually do something with the ball.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks for posting this , always a must watch
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good presser.

One game at a time. No overlooking Wagner with Mohegan on the horizon.

Thanks for posting it, PRT.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

That's too good - had to put it on a TShirt. haha.

https://www.bonfire.com/in-our-house-yo ... nt=default
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Let's smoke these guys. Team off to a fast start against bad teams. That's ok, but growth is needed here. Time to step up and take this one decisively.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yep, thanks for posting PRT.

Obviously Archie didn't like the way we finished and our lapses.
He seems very concerned about Wagner and their pressure.
He also thinks their 2 juco additions Kelton and Council from Monroe CC are all-conference caliber.
Probably should be a good match-up for us going into the Mohegan.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing Arch has been practicing full court pressure this week. Not on defense, but for the offense. I don't want to see any breakdowns if Wagner puts full court pressure on us.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

As a reminder, shaidzon is opening up just for Rhody fans from 4-7 before the game Tuesday night.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I'm guessing Arch has been practicing full court pressure this week. Not on defense, but for the offense. I don't want to see any breakdowns if Wagner puts full court pressure on us.
Right and that hurt us the end of the last game , has to be a focus in practice
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 5 months ago

🤣

Get that NIL flowin' for the boys!
1 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

I watched video of Rory Stewart in high school posted on this site. I thought he looked lost and said so on this forum. I was attacked immediately by steviestuds who was touting him as a high level recruit. Who needs Arch when we have experts like him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Dave Stenhouse. I watched him star for URI at Keaney in the late 50,s before going on to major league baseball.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 months ago

🤣

Get that NIL flowin' for the boys!
LOL! I LOVE that!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And for the first time in a long time, it's actually true.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramfansince58 wrote: 5 months ago I watched video of Rory Stewart in high school posted on this site. I thought he looked lost and said so on this forum. I was attacked immediately by steviestuds who was touting him as a high level recruit. Who needs Arch when we have experts like him.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Dave Stenhouse. I watched him star for URI at Keaney in the late 50,s before going on to major league baseball.
Dude I posted videos about Rory and Foumena and you came out of nowhere with a rude comment asking why I posted a video on Jeremy Foumena's thread. A few of us were confused by your comments as you can see below. I also never once called Rory a high-major player. I said he looked great in a few videos I posted which he did. Go watch them. I've always thought and said Foumena was the better player out of the two.

Here's the thread where I "attacked you"

ramfansince58 » 1 year ago
What is the purpose of posting a video of committed recruits getting outplayed and losing by a large margin to another high school team?

steveystuds06 » 1 year ago
I'm assuming Archie is not going to decide based on one game. If you watched other games, Rory looks great.

Post by RhodyKyle » 1 year ago
You posted it, you tell us what your purpose was.

Post by ramfansince58 » 1 year ago
It was first posted by steveystuds06 » 3 days ago. I commented on his post. Pay attention please.

steviep123 » 1 year ago
Huh? Your post sure makes it look like you posted it, not commenting on someone else's post...

by ramfansince58 » 1 year ago
Please go back to page 2 of this thread and you will see the first post by steveystuds06. I copied his post and made a comment on it. Why do the Steve's on this board have a problem following the thread.

RhowdyRam02 » 1 year ago
Maybe because you didn't properly quote the video when you replied to it in the first place...

Do you realize this thread is about Foumena, not Rory? He gets an excellent offensive rebound, scores an and 1, blocks a shot and hits a pretty corner jumper in the first 2 minutes of the game... I thought he played well...I posted the video saying Foumeana is a beast down low. I didn't think I brought up Rory but if I did who cares. The game that I thought Rory played well in I posted in his thread yesterday. I could give a shit about the score. I'm watching recruits to see how they play... Instead of a highlight reel showing the good things, I'd much rather watch our players in real games.

ramfansince58 » 1 year ago
"Low the hi low game between him and Rory"... steveystuds06. Your comment on the post.

phipsiGD'11 » 1 year ago

is this 72s new account or something?

I do like the hi low game between him and Rory, so I probably did say that. I feel like they play well together. I've posted a handful of videos about Foumena and Rory, and I'm not going back to find what my comment was for each one. I know I said something about Foumena playing well in that game somewhere. I explained to you why I posted that. I like the watch our players in real games. My question is, why does it matter to you? If you don't like the video, then don't watch it.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramfansince58 wrote: 5 months ago I watched video of Rory Stewart in high school posted on this site. I thought he looked lost and said so on this forum. I was attacked immediately by steviestuds who was touting him as a high level recruit. Who needs Arch when we have experts like him.

He touts 99% of kids we get like they’ll be All Americans lol never fails with him.

Said Dubsky would have an impact this season, etc etc.

List goes on and on.

He won’t see this post though because I hurt his feelings and he has me blocked.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

You touted Rory and now you have to eat it. Get over it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He touts 99% of kids we get like they’ll be All Americans lol never fails with him.

List goes on and on.

He won’t see this post though because I hurt his feelings and he has me blocked.
15 wrong again. What a surprise...

Once I watched Connor more, I thought he needed a lot to work on and said he might redshirt or not see the floor. I have you blocked because you're an asshole to everyone on here.

Post by steveystuds06 » 3 months ago
Ya, the more I watched Connor I started to see a lot of flaws in his game. I initially saw him at a tournament where he literally didn't miss. I was super excited, but he fell back to earth once he played better competition.

steveystuds06 » 2 months ago
Out of all the guards, I think Connor is the most likely to redshirt or not see the floor. Heck of a shooter but has a lot to improve on everywhere else. Cam and Wright both have the talent to be the backup point guard.. My guess is they are neck and neck right now.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

:idea:
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

List goes on and on.

Once I watched Connor more, I thought he needed a lot to work on and said he might redshirt or not see the floor. I have you blocked because you're an asshole to everyone on here.

Ya, the more I watched Connor I started to see a lot of flaws in his game. I initially saw him at a tournament where he literally didn't miss. I was super excited, but he fell back to earth once he played better competition.

Out of all the guards, I think Connor is the most likely to redshirt or not see the floor. Heck of a shooter but has a lot to improve on everywhere else. Cam and Wright both have the talent to be the backup point guard.. My guess is they are neck and neck right now.
Oh no I get along with plenty and numerous people agree with my posts.

Carry on though, Go Rhody.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

URI Basketball Forums. A bastion of civility, courtesy, and grace since 1996.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seems we have two assclowns that found a new punching bag. Nice. I don't believe anyone brought up Rory. But have at it I guess.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This might be, the ONLY SITE I have ever been on, and I have been on the URI BB Forums since basically the advent of the Internet in 96. I might have been a few months behind guys like RIRed and Ben, where people make you confess and do penance for being "too enthusiastic" about the team you root for and follow 24/7/365.

Somewhere, Gandalf is on one of those 20 footer quahog boats in the sky, and he's looking down smiling in approval.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago :idea:
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

List goes on and on.

Oh no I get along with plenty and numerous people agree with my posts.

Carry on though, Go Rhody.
I know you keep telling yourself that, and it's very funny. Did you also buy yourself a trophy when you won the prediction contest?

Well, you said I called Connor an all-American, and I literally said he wouldn't see the floor this year, so let's try Rory now.

This was my very first post about him. God forbid I get excited about a new recruit that looked like a great shooter. I never once said he's an all-American. Never once said he was a star. He looked like a great shooter and myself and others were excited about that. I know you can't handle positivity on here, but that doesn't mean we all think he's going to the NBA. Notice on my very first post about Rory I said "he looks very slow and he'll need time" but let's just pretend I didn't say that and only bring up the positive stuff I said about him.

by steveystuds06 » 1 year ago
A 6'9 sniper? YES PLEASE

Watched some of their games. He and Foumena play well together.

Rory's shot is beautiful. He passes the ball well but looks very slow.. He'll need time

I love the way Foumena battles. He's going to instantly be a fan favorite.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING