11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 11/14 | Wagner | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Backroads wrote: 5 months ago Where’s the video of the postgame interviews? Someone needs to step up if Bill Koch isn’t there.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago Seemed like Wagner never got an offensive rebound. Surprised to see they even got 7 offensive rebounds.

$2 hotdogs didn't bring the crowd. Was smaller than for Central Connecticut and Fairfield.
What was the announced?
ESPN boxscore says 3795.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Seemed like Wagner never got an offensive rebound. Surprised to see they even got 7 offensive rebounds.

$2 hotdogs didn't bring the crowd. Was smaller than for Central Connecticut and Fairfield.
What was the announced?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
Most notable takeaways from this:

- Wishes he got Dubsky involved. Mentioned him as part of guard depth/rotation a couple of times

- On that note, didn’t mention Rory at all. Seems like he may be fully out of the cards

- Weston injury looms large and somewhat concerning. Related to previous knee injuries. Game time decision for Saturday and then will be day by day depending how it reacts to a full game
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Zek!!!!!!!!!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
Most notable takeaways from this:

- Wishes he got Dubsky involved. Mentioned him as part of guard depth/rotation a couple of times

- On that note, didn’t mention Rory at all. Seems like he may be fully out of the cards

- Weston injury looms large and somewhat concerning. Related to previous knee injuries. Game time decision for Saturday and then will be day by day depending how it reacts to a full game
Doesn’t sound like there’s any chance he plays this weekend.

Seems pretty serious and will be an issue rest of season. Touch and go.

At least that’s what I took from those comments.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I think Foumena has more dunks this season than our entire team last year :lol:
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago I think Foumena has more dunks this season than our entire team last year :lol:
And the year before that as well!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

What was the announced?
NYG,
Any idea what all the fire trucks, rescue squads by the TLC Coffee Shop and the creek when I was driving home? Hope everyone was ok.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago I think Foumena has more dunks this season than our entire team last year :lol:
And the year before that as well!
Yes
0 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Foumena has an underrated shot blocking ability and has shades of Hassan Martin in his game. That two-man game with him and House is deadly.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What was the announced?
NYG,
Any idea what all the fire trucks, rescue squads by the TLC Coffee Shop and the creek when I was driving home? Hope everyone was ok.
Yeah 3795 is an awful number and I saw on IG Alwsys and Tyson passing out flyers

It is what it is , we keep winning and eventually the attendance will pick up but tonight’s number was atrocious
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 5 months ago Foumena has an underrated shot blocking ability and has shades of Hassan Martin in his game. That two-man game with him and House is deadly.
Very very promising Big Fou listed @ 6’11 and 235 and is a force , very nice post moves with a nice touch
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Aside from our massive upgrade in talent across the board

What really sticks out to me is how unselfish this team is. They really like sharing the ball around and you almost never see guys hogging the ball or jacking up a bunch of contested threes like we've seen here way too often.

Its also a really good sign that we took care of business the way we have these first three games. There have been several teams that have either been upset or close to it this year. We have left no doubt in every game, which I think speaks to how dialed in they are to playing TEAM basketball.

I dont think Dan's best teams shared the ball quite like this either. We just don't force things and take a bunch of bad shots. We play so much smarter than a ton of teams I've seen this year.

Gotta shout out Big Fou Fou. We don't have 6'11 dudes that play like that. In game 3? Sheeeeeit.
8 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good win. Liked how Foumena ratcheted up his aggressiveness on both ends of the court. Would like to see his next progression be the kick out pass if he doesn't have a good shot, but he was real good. The biggest plus was all 5 players hitting the boards. Much better. I know they want to play transition basketball, but you need the ball first. Now we need to get Weston and Bilau back to keep our depth intact. Hopefully they show well at Mohegan. So far so 👍
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Were Cam’s minutes down in 2nd 1/2 ?
Last edited by section(105) 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yep, we took care of business the first 3 games.
I am really excited for this weekend at the Mohegan Sun.
Hopefully we get a good Rhody turnout, because I think we have a chance to surprise a lot of people.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 months ago

NYG,
Yeah 3795 is an awful number and I saw on IG Alwsys and Tyson passing out flyers

It is what it is , we keep winning and eventually the attendance will pick up but tonight’s number was atrocious
4118 for Central Connecticut
4155 for Fairfield - up 37 from CCSU
3795 for Wagner - down 325 from CCSU

Reef,
I'd say the crowd has been roughly the same all 3 James. It felt about the same visually. I'd guess the decrease last night was more in the student section - could see it in the decrease of the blue balloons again passed out to students behind the visitors hoop to start the 2nd half
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Rhody15 earlier comment (see what I did there) about Jaden. Despite being a downhill bucket getter he does not force things even in situation where he was clearly frustrated picking up 2 early fouls. Scored a quiet 15 and his FG percent is north of 60%

You could see Zek knew when Jaden went out he had to be the alpha and he did just that. Athletically he is so dynamic. Hoping he starts to look for his 3 ball more because it will open up the lane for him but he’s been really good through 3 games and was so underrated by A10 pundits ranking incoming transfers

I thought Cam and Tyson both gave us really good minutes in first half when we needed it.

Clearly rebounding was a focus of the staff as we dominated the boards on both ends against a team that puts a lot of emphasis on crashing boards. As someone else said you can’t play uptempo if you can’t rebound.

Kortright was so impt tonight in both ends of the floor. He’s a leader and a big part of the culture building Archie is doing. First guy to pick guys up off the floor, dap up someone, etc.

Foumena shows flashes of being really good. Imagine him and Fuchs with another 1-2 years of development and experience. Wow. Will be a formidable twosome esp against A10 front lines.

Need to clean up the FT shooting. Foumena and Fuchs have nice touch not sure why it’s not translating at the line but they will both get there a lot and need to do better than 50%.

The real season starts now- Northwestern, Miss State/Wash State, PC, Yale, Charleston will all be a significant step up in weight class from first 3 opponents.

The first likable team we have had in years. They seem connected and chemistry seems really strong. Foumena even commented on that in his presser vs last years squad where he said guys were looking for themselves (likely swipe at Bray).
13 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What was the announced?
NYG,
No, I was through there within minutes of the end of the game and at my house seconds after that. Was all clear then, but where Liberty meets 138 can get dicey at times it seems
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Unselfish, well-coached, not easily frustrated, disciplined, higher skill level at all positions than we have had in awhile. Fun to watch. I'll take this latest Ram team any day of the week. I'd be very surprised (barring significant injury) if they regressed at all this season. Even the practical pessimist in me is optimistic. LFG
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

NYG,

Reef,
I'd say the crowd has been roughly the same all 3 James. It felt about the same visually. I'd guess the decrease last night was more in the student section - could see it in the decrease of the blue balloons again passed out to students behind the visitors hoop to start the 2nd half
Win and the world wins with you, lose and you lose alone. If we keep winning, the crowds will come. Right now it looks like we're getting the same hardcore 3,000 fans who would come even if we were playing Ponaganset.
6 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 months ago

Reef,
Win and the world wins with you, lose and you lose alone. If we keep winning, the crowds will come. Right now it looks like we're getting the same hardcore 3,000 fans who would come even if we were playing Ponaganset.
That's right. And that same group of 3000 hard core are not getting any younger. A lot of them have season tickets and are not in their 200 level seats too much for these weak OOC games. Will show up more for the A10 Conference Games and winning is the key.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

And will be even smaller for JWU.

Attendance going the literal opposite of how it should after winning three in a row.
Yeah, that Johnson & Wales game is going to be rough. Hopefully things pick up for the Yale game, but Sunday afternoon of Thanksgiving weekend could be rough.

It better be big for the Brown game where we honor the 98 team, but I have my doubts
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Every year we complain about attendance. And I get it. But as we've seen in the past, when the team is winning people show up. Let's remember, this is RI. Anything longer than a 20-minute drive is a day trip.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The public is generally pretty slow to respond. Sweeping through this early cupcake portion of the schedule was a necessary first step toward having the type of season that will draw fans back, but in and of itself was never likely to have a ton of impact on attendance. Even if the early results were convincing for checked-out casual fans (which I don’t think they would be), most people I know have schedules that are locked in several weeks out so even if just the first game was enough to draw people back there hasn’t been enough time to see that reflected in attendance. Anecdotally, for me, I don’t regularly attend games anymore because of my personal obligations and the travel required, but the good start has me looking at my calendar in January and February trying to find a date I could make work. If they continue to have good results, I’m confident that improved attendance will follow (see tagline below).
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago Were Cam’s minutes down in 2nd 1/2 ?
Yes, looks like he played about 10 minutes in the first half and 4 in the second. Just a function of foul trouble from House in the first half, but I liked how he played last night. 3 rebounds, an assist, 1 steal, no turnovers. I think the points will come for him, but last night he ate some foul trouble minutes, did some things that helped and nothing that hurt us, which is really all we needed from him
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 months ago Every year we complain about attendance. And I get it. But as we've seen in the past, when the team is winning people show up. Let's remember, this is RI. Anything longer than a 20-minute drive is a day trip.
The attendance is what it is.

Lot's more options available now for people to not buy tickets and stream every game. Funny when people complain about the streaming and complain about the actual attendance. Loved earlier comment that it was a bad look on streaming when some people were seen leaving early from the game. Sorry trying to get home when we have a big lead - not used to having leads during the Cox era.

Reality is our season ticket holders is an aging fanbase. Younger generation prefers streaming it seems.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 months ago Every year we complain about attendance. And I get it. But as we've seen in the past, when the team is winning people show up. Let's remember, this is RI. Anything longer than a 20-minute drive is a day trip.
We won the first 2 games, yet the student attendance was noticeably lower last night than in the first 2 games. I figured with each win, we might see slight increases in student attendance. What happened last night? It wasn't Friday night. It wasn't too cold. It wasn't raining. It's not finals. And please don't tell me the students don't come because of quality of opponent. Most of the students have no idea in the difference in quality of teams. So, why were there even fewer students (by quite a bit) last night?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would guess the majority of people streaming are not local. If you are a fan to the extent you would be willing to listen to our C list broadcast you are likely making the drive to Kingston.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Lot's more options available now for people to not buy tickets and stream every game. Funny when people complain about the streaming and complain about the actual attendance. Loved earlier comment that it was a bad look on streaming when some people were seen leaving early from the game. Sorry trying to get home when we have a big lead - not used to having leads during the Cox era.

Reality is our season ticket holders is an aging fanbase. Younger generation prefers streaming it seems.
Yet, that dump in Providence is filled with their assholes every single game.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
We won the first 2 games, yet the student attendance was noticeably lower last night than in the first 2 games. I figured with each win, we might see slight increases in student attendance. What happened last night? It wasn't Friday night. It wasn't too cold. It wasn't raining. It's not finals. And please don't tell me the students don't come because of quality of opponent. Most of the students have no idea in the difference in quality of teams. So, why were there even fewer students (by quite a bit) last night?
My thoughts exactly, doesn’t make sense
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago I would guess the majority of people streaming are not local. If you are a fan to the extent you would be willing to listen to our C list broadcast you are likely making the drive to Kingston.
Don't think I was clear. Many who complain about attendance levels stream the games. They are not there.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Can't compare. That's what an 8-10 year run of winning gets you. We have never been able to sustain success (due to bad coaching hires after good ones) and have to start all over.
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As a former student, I’d would absolutely be there last night, but a Tuesday night after work can be tough to drive 45 min/hour. For the average fan especially with the Wagners of the world, it’s not gonna pull in a lot of people. Keep winning and bring in bigger names, that’s what works, for anyone.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe they had their fun and a 3rd consecutive game just wasn't in the cards? Maybe schoolwork piling up, projects due? Exams?
Agree most of the decrease was students.

Not good news.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

Can't compare. That's what an 8-10 year run of winning gets you. We have never been able to sustain success (due to bad coaching hires after good ones) and have to start all over.
It was really the Sweet 16 season that made them turn the corner.

Even before that when they were in the tourney, ranked, etc The Dunk was rather quiet and sucked to watch a game in the majority of the time.

Then the Sweet 16 happened and they haven’t looked back.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I do know of a couple families that had season tix to URI (men) and PC (men) for business...they dropped the URI men's tix, bought URI women and kept their PC tickets. Probably not prevalent, but can't say it's surprising either.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This was definitely a more impressive showing than the first two games, since they faced some adversity with the early fouls on House and weathered that. Through three games, our SOS on kenpom is 335th, so Northwestern (59), and Washington State (84) or Mississippi State (20) should hopefully tell us a lot more about where we're at.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I do know of a couple families that had season tix to URI (men) and PC (men) for business...they dropped the URI men's tix, bought URI women and kept their PC tickets. Probably not prevalent, but can't say it's surprising either.
As good as the women have been, I don’t know anyone that would drop mens tickets for womens. That’s surprising.
4 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I did it when I truly realized just how bad Cox was and decided I wasn't going to support that product. I got men's season tickets again last year when we brought in Archie
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We just have a super weak fanbase. Especially now

Hell, they hardly showed up for the 17-18 team

We sold out PC then didn't sell out a game until the Duquesne game after we were 19-3 (9-0) then couldn't sell out for Richmond right after that! While coming off a tournament run and having the longest winning streak in the country at the time lol

We just have to win for several years to get the dedicated fanbase we want.

We have to at least split at Mohegan to get a halfway decent crowd to show up for Yale.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe they had their fun and a 3rd consecutive game just wasn't in the cards? Maybe schoolwork piling up, projects due? Exams?
Agree most of the decrease was students.

Not good news.
And the thing is, the students that were there the first 2 games looked like they were having a blast! You would think most of them would be back and hopefully tell a friend or 2 how much fun they had and convince the friend to come too.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago

As good as the women have been, I don’t know anyone that would drop mens tickets for womens. That’s surprising.
Im not surprised
You can get season tickets for WBB for $99 ($69 if a Senior) and sit anywhere. The people who buy tickets show up and it's pretty exciting. The 6pm starts are nice for some people, get home earlier, if it works for schedule. For some yer, for some now.

For men Tickets are much more expensive. Environment is quiet, kind of dull.

MBB Home OOC Schedule is not exciting at all. No PC this year. A10 continues trending down.

WBB has been winning, building a culture
MBB has gone steadily down since Hurley left.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This bottom line. How do you fix it? Maybe sustained winning and a long tenure high level HC?

Time will tell but no doubt a big portion of our crowd these first four games were retirees…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago
This bottom line. How do you fix it? Maybe sustained winning and a long tenure high level HC?

Time will tell but no doubt a big portion of our crowd these first four games were retirees…
I think a problem might be that the younger generation is getting priced out of South County, thus making them move further away from URI.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago

I think a problem might be that the younger generation is getting priced out of South County, thus making them move further away from URI.
This is a massive issue. It's a lot tougher for younger people to sneak out of the house for a game when you live further away. A lot of the younger fans you're hoping to have either weren't built because the team wasn't good and/or they're in the years they're raising children and live 30 plus minutes away
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Great point, the housing crunch in these parts is unreal.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great point, the housing crunch in these parts is unreal.
No doubt about it. We thank our lucky stars that we bought in Gansett in the late 90s. Never could do it today just starting out.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The RC location will forever be a challenge. If UCONN was less consistent, their game attendance would suffer too.
0 x
GO RAMS