THE EARLY LINE URI VS FAIRFIELD

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I see between 8.5 and 9.5. 139 total, -435 ML.
I said they should’ve beaten CCSU by 30, and I’m sticking to it.
The last 30 seconds was incredibly expensive Monday, but the fact is: they didn’t cover.
Some really really bad basketball on display from time to time the other night, especially in the second half.
But also, certainly, much much much much much better play than we’ve seen in a long time.
It was nice to be confident enough to think that they actually should be favored.
Not sure what’s gonna happen tomorrow, but a 30-point win is my expectation.
Again, this opponent is one of the absolute worst teams in America.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Early line v Fairfield

Unread post by ramster »

I was of the impression Monday night that Central Connecticut State was a really bad team, both offensively and defensively, so therefore it is difficult to judge how good we really are. Did you see CCSU similarly?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CCSU is a really bad team. We had them over 20+ points in the second half and let off the gas. Can't do that ever. We should have beat CCSU by 30.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It opened @ 7.5 then went quickly to 9
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I know about the spread Reef, but I'm saying CCSU was a really bad team, really bad. Much worse than any spread you could throw out there. Seemed like we should have crushed them. We were taller, stronger, faster, more athletic but somehow did not translate into a lopsided score.
I know it's just the 1st game, all new starting 5, etc but just felt something was missing.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The opening line is finally up and Vegas has it as URI - 9 . My instincts tell me URI by 13 , so take URI and the points . If the Rams can cut down on silly turnovers and hit the glass they should cover .
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 months ago I see between 8.5 and 9.5. 139 total, -435 ML.
I said they should’ve beaten CCSU by 30, and I’m sticking to it.
The last 30 seconds was incredibly expensive Monday, but the fact is: they didn’t cover.
Some really really bad basketball on display from time to time the other night, especially in the second half.
But also, certainly, much much much much much better play than we’ve seen in a long time.
It was nice to be confident enough to think that they actually should be favored.
Not sure what’s gonna happen tomorrow, but a 30-point win is my expectation.
Again, this opponent is one of the absolute worst teams in America.
I GUESS IT DOESN'T COUNT IF THE TITLE ISN'T ALL CAPS?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Nice to be back to complaining that we’re not beating teams by enough.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Not ever a fan of letting off the gas. Did you see the UConn men's score from Monday, or our own Lady Rams score from their home opener? Archie needs to get his head screwed on straight when it comes to our gambling needs! :)
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Nice to be back to complaining that we’re not beating teams by enough.
Amen!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Nice to be back to complaining that we’re not beating teams by enough.
Missing the point. That was a really bad team.
Maybe they looked better on ESPN+ but to me they were really bad and I suppose they should be in that they are 300+ NET
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Maybe they looked better on ESPN+ but to me they were really bad and I suppose they should be in that they are 300+ NET
And Michigan St lost at home to James Madison - a Sun Belt school that’s been to 2 NCAA tourneys in 40 years.

Watching URI, that game was never as close as the final score indicated.

You can only play who you play. We won by double digits in a wire to wire fashion and let our foot off the gas when the game was unloseable.

If you had money on them and got backdoored at 11.5 I respect your anger though.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
And Michigan St lost at home to James Madison - a Sun Belt school that’s been to 2 NCAA tourneys in 40 years.

You can only play who you play. We won by double digits in a wire to wire fashion and let our foot off the gas when the game was unloseable.

If you had money on them and got backdoored at 11.5 I respect your anger though.
Had no money on either team. Wrong again and still missing the point.

Womens team had no problem winning by 51 points last night and played hard to the final whistle. Not a single player on URI WBB played down to the opponent and not a single coach did either not even when up by 50.
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Speaking of unrelated gambling - until the rest of the world catches on that Loyola sucks, enjoy the free money in fading them.

They were +7 to FAU and are getting WORKED.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Womens team had no problem winning by 51 points last night and played hard to the final whistle. Not a single player on URI WBB played down to the opponent and not a single coach did either not even when up by 50.
Are we going to compare the talent disparity in women’s college basketball to men’s? Because that’s a foolish argument.

I’m not saying CCSU was a juggernaut or is a great win.

By most books Rhody was -10.5. So they covered. In their first legit game as a brand new roster playing together.

It was good basketball - not perfect, but it was game one.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of unrelated gambling - until the rest of the world catches on that Loyola sucks, enjoy the free money in fading them.

😎
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are we going to compare the talent disparity in women’s college basketball to men’s? Because that’s a foolish argument.

By most books Rhody was -10.5. So they covered. In their first legit game as a brand new roster playing together.

You can only play who you play. We won by double digits in a wire to wire fashion and let our foot off the gas when the game was unloseable

I am referring to your comment about you can only play who you play, letting foot off the gas cliche.

Kenny Johnson and Austin Carroll were at the game last night.

Tammi has talented players all through the line up. You can see these players fighting very hard every minute they are on the floor. They are fighting for possible starting positions and for playing time plus they want to win the A10 Championship and get to the NCAA. There is no taking their foot off the gas.

IN FACT the other team was holding the ball, stalling the clock to prevent URI from running more. URI never slowed down, never.

I hear your excuses for the men, and I agree with your excuses but that is not happening on the WBB side. The WBB game was unloseable when URI led 23-6 after Q1, 39-15 after Q2, and 66-27 after Q3.

Tammi, her staff and her players know they must win by as much as possible to build the NET and to prepare for upcoming games with Princeton, Harvard, NC State and St John's. They must build the NET as much as possible before heading into A10 play.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I like URI 8.5 which is the line I’m seeing as I type this.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can only play who you play. We won by double digits in a wire to wire fashion and let our foot off the gas when the game was unloseable

I am referring to your comment about you can only play who you play, letting foot off the gas cliche.

Tammi has talented players all through the line up. You can see these players fighting very hard every minute they are on the floor. They are fighting for possible starting positions and for playing time plus they want to win the A10 Championship and get to the NCAA. There is no taking their foot off the gas.

IN FACT the other team was holding the ball, stalling the clock to prevent URI from running more. URI never slowed down, never.

I hear your excuses for the men, and I agree with your excuses but that is not happening on the WBB side. The WBB game was unloseable when URI led 23-6 after Q1, 39-15 after Q2, and 66-27 after Q3.

Tammi, her staff and her players know they must win by as much as possible to build the NET and to prepare for upcoming games with Princeton, Harvard, NC State and St John's. They must build the NET as much as possible before heading into A10 play.
Tammi has an established culture, identity and pride in the program. She has hung a banner and brought back key players from a highly winning season.

Archie is just starting to build all of that here and with this group.
It’s apples and oranges comparing the two teams at this point.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

Tammi has an established culture, identity and pride in the program. She has hung a banner and brought back key players from a highly winning season.

Not to mention the sacred heart hardly even knew how to dribble a basketball.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

PRT
Sacred Heart and CCSU are in the same bottom ranked #32 NEC Conference

Sacred Heart WBB NET 257
CCSU MBB NET 347

Sacred Heart WBB #1 Preseason Unanimous NEC Coaches Poll
CCSU MBB #2 Preseason NEC Coaches Poll

If Sacred Heart can't dribble then neither can the worse ranked CCSU MBB

Listen to Archie say they must pick up the level of play going into Fairfield game. He knows we should have beat CCSU by more than we did. No excuses from him. Said we had no post presence and our defense and defensive rebounding must improve.

Maybe some starting line up changes tonight?
I can think of two
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ways at the point and______________
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago Ways at the point and______________
Wright for Kortright

and

Foumena for Brown

3 turnovers for Brown. Foumena more active defensively and on the offensive glass. Miller mentioning we had no post presence vs CCSU is a wake up call to some. Getting outrebounded 15-10 on offensive glass to a 347 NET team can't happen.

Foumena and Brown is an interesting battle. Will be fun to watch it play out

Will be interesting to see minutes distribution tonight as players battle for playing time
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I highly doubt Archie changes the lineup after 1 game

Sometimes coaches say things to motivate
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I doubt he changes it too, but who knows. We have Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State and PC coming up soon so good to get the right guys identified quickly.

I wasn't impressed by Kortright or Brown. Team needs a PG. It's not Kortright imho but it's early.

When you are preseason ranked 14th, 15th then throw caution to the wind. Take chances, try different lineups.

Also note how players react when taken out of the game.

Glad to see Archie not happy with how we played, glad we won but he knows what to do. Done here we're happy with Mondays performance, glad he's not. That's a 347 NET team we played.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kortright is one of the leaders and Ways is an awesome change of pace sub at the position. It’s been 1 game. You don’t demoralize a kid by benching him after 1 game. Kortright is also a much better on ball defender than Ways.

Brown was our leading rebounder and is a junk pail type of guy.
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago I doubt he changes it too, but who knows. We have Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State and PC coming up soon so good to get the right guys identified quickly.

I wasn't impressed by Kortright or Brown. Team needs a PG. It's not Kortright imho but it's early.

When you are preseason ranked 14th, 15th then throw caution to the wind. Take chances, try different lineups.

Glad to see Archie not happy with how we played, glad we won but he knows what to do. Done here we're happy with Mondays performance, glad he's not. That's a 347 NET team we played.
Noted scout Ramter saying "we need a PG" after one game.

Yea, Archie talked up Kortright, brought him to A10 media day, had a national interview with Field of 68, all because he stinks and Archie doesn't believe in him. Got it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Kortright is one of the leaders and Ways is an awesome change of pace sub at the position. It’s been 1 game. You don’t demoralize a kid by benching him after 1 game. Kortright is also a much better on ball defender than Ways.

Please stop, you're making too much sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of unrelated gambling - until the rest of the world catches on that Loyola sucks, enjoy the free money in fading them.

The easiest money ive ever won
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Kortright is one of the leaders and Ways is an awesome change of pace sub at the position. It’s been 1 game. You don’t demoralize a kid by benching him after 1 game. Kortright is also a much better on ball defender than Ways.

I loved Ways, but he was exposed a few times on D. Gunna be a learning/size curve there for him
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago I doubt he changes it too, but who knows. We have Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State and PC coming up soon so good to get the right guys identified quickly.

Yea, Archie talked up Kortright, brought him to A10 media day, had a national interview with Field of 68, all because he stinks and Archie doesn't believe in him. Got it.
Whose Ramter?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

People have bad games. I don't know if we would land another recruit if we bailed on a kid after one bad game. Archie said in the post-game that he needs to get Kortright more involved.. Ways had some fantastic assistant but as others have said he was having some real issues on the defensive end and i don’t think he’s strong enough offensively to run this offense in a starting role. I agree with Bar that he’s a perfect player as a change of pace backup that you keep in if things are clicking. Kortright has had too much success at this level to start Ways over him after one game. Now if this goes on for a month Archie may make a change but I think Kortright will be an important piece this year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Whose Ramter?
Apparently Ramter is an expert scout… welcome to the board!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PRT

Sacred Heart WBB NET 257
CCSU MBB NET 347

Listen to Archie say they must pick up the level of play going into Fairfield game. He knows we should have beat CCSU by more than we did. No excuses from him. Said we had no post presence and our defense and defensive rebounding must improve.

I can think of two
No all the Lady Rams did was pressure the ball and sacred heart wilted.

The talent and size disparity was vast in that game. Its a false equivalency.

CCSU was also picked to finish 2nd in the NEC, while sacred heart 6th in the women's.

91-40 blowouts just don't happen that often in D1 men's college basketball. How often has any men's Rhody team beaten anybody by 51?

Besides CCSU made some tough shots, had one really good big who could easily play for us and made a run against some of our bench players in game one. Meh.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Compelling points to consider, Ramster.

I will point out however, that it is media pundits and A10 coaches that have us finishing low. I don’t think the our coaching staff and players agree with that assessment therefore, it may not play into the staff’s playing time decisions much.

Let me know if I misinterpreted the portion of your post regarding the relevance of where we are projected to finish in the A10.

Good discussion.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Compelling points to consider, Ramster.

I will point out however, that it is media pundits and A10 coaches that have us finishing low. I don’t think the our coaching staff and players agree with that assessment therefore, it may not play into the staff’s playing time decisions much.

Let me know if I misinterpreted the portion of your post regarding the relevance of where we are projected to finish in the A10.

Good discussion.
Sure would be cool to throw in a Bilau and an eligible David Green into the mix here soon. That could fix some problems...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PRT

Sacred Heart WBB NET 257
CCSU MBB NET 347

I can think of two
No all the Lady Rams did was pressure the ball and sacred heart wilted.

The talent and size disparity was vast in that game. Its a false equivalency.

CCSU was also picked to finish 2nd in the NEC, while sacred heart 6th in the women's.

91-40 blowouts just don't happen that often in D1 men's college basketball. How often has any men's Rhody team beaten anybody by 51?

Besides CCSU made some tough shots, had one really good big who could easily play for us and made a run against some of our bench players in game one. Meh.
Sorry but you are Not correct

For you to say Sacred Heart didn't even know how to dribble a basketball is ridiculous

Sacred Heart won in the NCAA Tournament last year. Sacred Heart is unanimous choice to win the NEC this year.

We won by 51 points because URI is so talented this year and we played well and we played hard wire to wire. Tammi knows what she is doing. The A10 likelihood to get an At Large bid is slim so A10 and all mid major teams should strive to maximize their NET. Maximizing efficiency does that over the entire 40 minutes.

Sacred Heart can dribble the basketball just fine. URI is in a mission and Sacred Heart ran into that.

Sacred Heart's talent and veteran head coach make it easy to understand why the league's coaches chose the Pioneers to run it back as league champs in 2024. The Pioneers bring back eight letterwinners — including all five starters and each of the squad's top six scorers — from the 2022-23 team that not only ended an 11-year title draught in Fairfield but made NEC history by becoming the first-ever women's team to earn a win in the NCAA Tournament.

In addition to Pryor, a 5-foot-2 do-it-all guard who led the entire nation in steals as a rookie, preseason All-NEC selection Sajada Bonner and 2023 All-Rookie team pick Amelia Wood headline the list of returnees.

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... 23-24.aspx

Unanimous for 1st Place
IMG_0704.png
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Don't know how I missed that. Oh well. It's still not a really that fair of a point. There is a bigger talent disparity between a team like Rhody and Sacred Heart in the women's game than there is for the men's. Tammi is in year five, Archie is in year two and Archie has two starter level players on the bench right now. Tammi was also 11-8 in her second year....but to your point about the Lady Rams being a barometer for where you need to end up is true. You want to finish your blowout.

I think we see a more complete performance tonight.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ha,
Last season not a single KB Poster predicted the correct opening day starting lineup in the Starting 5 thread. This year only 1 poster correctly predicted the starting line up in the Rotation thread. Most posters chose not to chose a starting lineup.
Am I the noted scout who correctly predicted the starting lineup? Nope.
It was BAR who correctly picked:

Fuchs
Brown
House
Kortright
Montgomery

I was close with 4 of 5 as I went with Fuchs who most people did not pick, and I went with Foumena instead of Brown which different from BAR. I predicted Foumena last season in the starting lineup. Liked his game since I saw him play in Providence with Orangeburg Prep 2 years ago.

It's a message board. So I like what I have seen in Wright. Brown got a lot of love and hype since arriving so that had me expecting more I suppose. I love the battle between Foumena and Brown - great to have that kind of depth.

As for Kortright I don't see him as a PG. Maybe he will be fine but he wasn't the starting PG on his last team.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out by the time we tip off with Northwestern. A lot more arrows in the quiver this year as compared to last, or the year before or the year before that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago People have bad games. I don't know if we would land another recruit if we bailed on a kid after one bad game. Archie said in the post-game that he needs to get Kortright more involved.. Ways had some fantastic assistant but as others have said he was having some real issues on the defensive end and i don’t think he’s strong enough offensively to run this offense in a starting role. I agree with Bar that he’s a perfect player as a change of pace backup that you keep in if things are clicking. Kortright has had too much success at this level to start Ways over him after one game. Now if this goes on for a month Archie may make a change but I think Kortright will be an important piece this year.
I'm not saying Kortright had a bad game. I'm just not thinking he is a point guard. I'm not saying bail on Kortright either. He has skills needed on this team. But for this team to really advance and potentially make some noise in the A10 March Tournament then I think Wright could be the guy for use to surprise and shock.

Next year is next year. One year at a time in today's world.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ha,
Last season not a single KB Poster predicted the correct opening day starting lineup in the Starting 5 thread. This year only 1 poster correctly predicted the starting line up in the Rotation thread. Most posters chose not to chose a starting lineup.

Fuchs
Brown
House
Kortright
Montgomery

I was close with 4 of 5 as I went with Fuchs who most people did not pick, and I went with Foumena instead of Brown which different from BAR. I predicted Foumena last season in the starting lineup. Liked his game since I saw him play in Providence with Orangeburg Prep 2 years ago.

It's a message board. So I like what I have seen in Wright. Brown got a lot of love and hype since arriving so that had me expecting more I suppose. I love the battle between Foumena and Brown - great to have that kind of depth.

As for Kortright I don't see him as a PG. Maybe he will be fine but he wasn't the starting PG on his last team.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out by the time we tip off with Northwestern. A lot more arrows in the quiver this year as compared to last, or the year before or the year before that.
Ya I think my starting five was

Kortright
House
Zek
Green
Fuchs

With Green out it was a toss-up between Brown and Foumena on who starts. Once Archie said Brown has been the most improved it made sense that he started with Fuchs.I think Kortright wasn't the point guard at Quinnipiac because he happened to play with a stud point guard. If there is one thing Archie knows it's point guards. Archie has been very high on Kortright being our starting point all offseason, so he must be standing out at practice in that position. I do think Ways is a better point guard than Kortight is long term, but I don't think he's better than him now.

If Ways continues to make a big impact, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kortight off the ball more as he's done that in the past. It's going to be even more interesting once Hammond gets here because he looks like a four-year starter.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ha,

Fuchs
Brown
House
Kortright
Montgomery

I also picked the starting lineup, and it got four likes, so it wasn't like some big surprise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago

Ha,

Fuchs
Brown
House
Kortright
Montgomery

I also picked the starting lineup, and it got four likes, so it wasn't like some big surprise.
But you didn't get all 5. Only 1 person did.
And nobody got it right last year. So only 1 right answer in 2 years

Prior to the transfer crazy world the starting line up would be known by all well in advance with few exceptions.

Crazier yet the subject was predict the rotation instead of the starting 5. Sign of the crazy roster turnover times.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ha,

Fuchs
Brown
House
Kortright
Montgomery

Prior to the transfer crazy world the starting line up would be known by all well in advance with few exceptions.

Crazier yet the subject was predict the rotation instead of the starting 5. Sign of the crazy roster turnover times.
I picked Kortright, House, Montgomery, Fuchs and Brown. Was that not the starting five, against Assumption and Central Connecticut State? Or is the box score wrong? (I missed the opening 5 minutes of the game on the radio broadcast.)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS FAIRFIELD

Unread post by reef »

Definitely hoping Luis plays better tonight , we need this team clicking on all cylinders!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rollin' with Rhody on the over

Anyone else?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I picked Kortright, House, Montgomery, Fuchs and Brown. Was that not the starting five, against Assumption and Central Connecticut State? Or is the box score wrong? (I missed the opening 5 minutes of the game on the radio broadcast.)
Yup that's the starting 5.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Rollin' with Rhody on the over

Anyone else?
I guessed URI 78-64
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Rollin' with Rhody on the over

Anyone else?
I guessed URI 78-64
I watched Fairfield earlier today and yeah i think House and Zek push it over 10. They should be able to get theirs pretty easy.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I just looked and Rhody -10.5.
0 x