11/9 | Fairfield | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/9 | Fairfield | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Very nice to have these two wins under our belt but not unexpected.
Sorry but Fairfield is terrible, and they are still without probably their 2 best players Fields and Yetna.
Yes, we are much better than last season so that is very much a positive.

I understand that being up by over 30 points in the 2nd half, you tend to pump the brakes and go deep in the bench.
But still no excuse to give up 56 points in the 2nd half and play lazy defense.
I couldn't believe how many open 3's (48%) they got after the break.
I am sure Archie will lay into them and not tolerate any of the players getting into bad habits and easing up on D.

As well as Ways played last game, he was that much worse tonight on both ends of the floor.

Freshmen Cam, Fuchs, and Fomena will be fun to watch, and our future should be bright.

House has lived up to our expectations, so let's hope that continues as the competition gets better.
I can't wait until you finally have to give URI half as much credit as you give Fordham-Chicago
omg, right?

Some of the comments are just beyond ridiculous now. Fairfield lost their first game to B.C by single digits 11 pts in Boston. We absolutely murdered them, regardless of the score. Could you imagine if they kept House in after the 9 and change mark of the first half? Archie has a legit 9 man rotation now, if he just goes with that, gives his top two or three scorers max mins and doesn't clear the bench, the score would be vicious.

This team has a few things to work on. Three point and FT accuracy being two of them. But if you cannot see the night and day difference between the ball protection and efficiency alone, not to mention the scoring and defensive tenacity, you have to be blind at this point. This team does not resemble last year's team, not even remotely.

I was going to say something, but I'm glad someone else did first.
I agree with almost all of this, but I want to point out we're shooting threes at a 42.42% clip, good for 54th in the country
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Very nice to have these two wins under our belt but not unexpected.
Sorry but Fairfield is terrible, and they are still without probably their 2 best players Fields and Yetna.

I understand that being up by over 30 points in the 2nd half, you tend to pump the brakes and go deep in the bench.
I am sure Archie will lay into them and not tolerate any of the players getting into bad habits and easing up on D.

As well as Ways played last game, he was that much worse tonight on both ends of the floor.

Freshmen Cam, Fuchs, and Fomena will be fun to watch, and our future should be bright.

House has lived up to our expectations, so let's hope that continues as the competition gets better.
Good info perspective, Jersey.

I get it may be counterintuitive but, I am glad to see our play wasn’t perfect as I think it is a good thing for a coach to have some things to bitch about in practice after a win - especially with a team learning to win. Nothing like a little humble pie. Keep the team hungry and level headed.

Hopefully we have the same imperfect results next game!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago To be fair, it did seem like Fairfield couldn't miss at the end. Usually teams just mail it in, but they decided to make every single shot towards the end of the game.

From the 8:14 mark on they went 11-13 from the field and 6-7 from the foul line. Literally went 8-9 from three which is just insane.

Yeah we had bench players in there, but Fairfields late shooting was just absurd.
It was just as absurd great as it was absurd terrible in the 1st half
Ya I mean it's pretty obvious what happened. We took out our starters and took our foot off the gas after absolutely dominating.. This happens all the time. Fairfield got hot and cut the lead in garbage time. The game was never in doubt, and we could have gone up 20 as quickly as we wanted if put our starters back in. Ways, Rory, and Connor were absolutely brutal out there... This is a reminder of why Luis is so important because Ways was having some real issues with the pressure that Fairfield provided to the point where Archie had to put Luis back in the final few minutes.

If our biggest problem is beating teams by 11-15 instead of 20+, I would love that. As Archie said, he'd be happy if we won both games by 1.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

I get it may be counterintuitive but, I am glad to see our play wasn’t perfect as I think it is a good thing for a coach to have some things to bitch about in practice after a win - especially with a team learning to win. Nothing like a little humble pie. Keep the team hungry and level headed.

Yeah, the game was never close to being in doubt and our starters dominated as they should have. But the way it ended will certainly allow Archie to give some good teaching moments.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Yeah, the game was never close to being in doubt and our starters dominated as they should have. But the way it ended will certainly allow Archie to give some good teaching moments.
Blessing in disguise maybe.

To your earlier point about House being as good as expected though...I don't think I expected him to look unstoppable lol.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where the heck is 72 ?? Trying to find something to complain about something after the 2-0 start ?
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Where the heck is 72 ?? Trying to find something to complain about something after the 2-0 start ?
Rhody72 has been gone for 4-5 weeks now.
Got beat up pretty bad on this post quoted below, his last post......

Hardly think you should be wanting to rub it in that we have won 2 straight Exhibition games. 72 does in fact want URI to win and is a URI fan.

Rhody72 wrote: 7 months ago Basketball season is around the corner and the hyping has begun to sell tickets.

Most College basketball players improve each year at URI and on every other team because they are older, stronger and more experienced.

URI has good coaches but saying that they are high major quality coaches is laughable because that is where they would be earning a boatload of more money.

I don't see a single player on this team who wouldn't jump for an offer from a high major because they have no tie to RI and URI, and they are pursuing a basketball career.

My prediction is that URI will have a better record this season because of a weaker OOC schedule and a weaker A10 conference, the team will have better chemistry but less talent.

But, I enjoy watching competitive basketball on any level.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm not going to take the I told you so approach since we've beaten nobodies (albeit in dominating fashion, pulled out the starters, and for some reason both teams wanted to play it like their super bowl and press to win with tight rotations), but this team is good.

I don't care who we've played, good basketball is good basketball. In fact, it's the same type of basketball we saw last year - last year's team lacked any ability to execute on the open shots we were given. Now you're seeing the Archie ball that killed URI when he was at Dayton.

Breakouts on offense with capable PGs leading to transition baskets.

This year has shown that we have multiple players capable of scoring from multiple levels. We have enough of a BBIQ and athleticism to execute on a fast break and score.

Jaden House is the first scoring guard we've had since Jared Terrell who is capable of scoring at will. Obviously it's 2 games, but House isn't having some crazy unexpected scoring breakout. He dropped 20 11 times last year. With more weapons around him like we have, he'll be able to get his shot a lot more easily.

We have shooters. Multiple guys on the floor and off the bench can shoot and shoot well. We have bigs who are both huge and capable passers. That high low action is going to drive a lot of teams crazy, and it'll be really tough to collapse the D in when you have multiple guys capable of shooting 40%+ from 3 waiting on the wings.

These last 2 games were "close" (still 2-0 against the spread) because we allowed them to be and took our starters out at the under 8.

I'd start to believe and believe soon. We will be good, the Mohegan games are just going to tell us how good we are going to be.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 5 months ago Where the heck is 72 ?? Trying to find something to complain about something after the 2-0 start ?
72 is at his best when we are at our worst. This kid on Twitter, Justin Charles, also bashed our incoming class and Archie. He told me we wouldn't win 14 games this year. I suggest reading through the Twitter conversation about this..

And we can never forget DC Rams and his twin brother TJ Rams
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Northwestern will be the real measuring stick. Boo Buie is a stud at PG, they lost Audige and beyond that I don't know much about them. They are Top 50ish preseason. But in terms of P5's go they are about as good of a matchup as a team like ours can get right now. They aren't (usually) going to out athlete us. I doubt they have tons of size. They will play smart team basketball and honestly if we can't compete with them I will be disappointed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Northwestern will be the real measuring stick. Boo Buie is a stud at PG, they lost Audige and beyond that I don't know much about them. They are Top 50ish preseason. But in terms of P5's go they are about as good of a matchup as a team like ours can get right now. They aren't (usually) going to out athlete us. I doubt they have tons of size. They will play smart team basketball and honestly if we can't compete with them I will be disappointed.
I’m sure Arch and staff will studying that Dayton Northwestern game very very closely!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
72 is at his best when we are at our worst. This kid on Twitter, Justin Charles, also bashed our incoming class and Archie. He told me we wouldn't win 14 games this year. I suggest reading through the Twitter conversation about this..

Poor little Justin Charles , that take will age very poorly!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Northwestern will be the real measuring stick. Boo Buie is a stud at PG, they lost Audige and beyond that I don't know much about them. They are Top 50ish preseason. But in terms of P5's go they are about as good of a matchup as a team like ours can get right now. They aren't (usually) going to out athlete us. I doubt they have tons of size. They will play smart team basketball and honestly if we can't compete with them I will be disappointed.
I think Buie could have won Big10 Player of the Year. He's going to eat us alive...

I think they are replacing Audige with Ryan Langborg. If people recognize his name, it's because he became a big name during the NCAA tournament for Princeton. Very good player.

They also have Brooks Barnhizer. He went off late last season and dropped 18 and 13 boards in their first game this season.

Berry is a strong player for them, and they also have Nicholson who's a monster. I think he's about 7 feet or close.

Long story short this team is very good and I think we will have trouble keeping it close. I hope I'm wrong. Let's see how they play against Dayton tonight.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

reef wrote: 5 months ago

As another “Justin” living in Boston, I’m embarrassed for this guy and his take.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Claims to be URI grad/fan. Either he is and it’s a cousin of 15 or he’s just a hater in disguise.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Guy saying he been a massive disappointment so far ?? Come on not his fault about last year and this season we will surprise the so call pundits
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Claims to be URI grad/fan. Either he is and it’s a cousin of 15 or he’s just a hater in disguise.
Yea man definitely, I’ve been shitting on Archie nonstop and called him a massive disappointment. Ya got me.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 5 months ago

As another “Justin” living in Boston, I’m embarrassed for this guy and his take.
Bahaha

We said House and Zek are a worse version than Ish and Bray
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
CamsRams wrote: 5 months ago

Bahaha

We said House and Zek are a worse version than Ish and Bray
So glad Bray is far and away from Kingston RI !!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
How are they holding him back?

18 shots in the first game, 11 last night.

20+ points both games.

33 minutes first game, 23 last.

He’s had the ball a ton, don’t see how you think Archie is holding him back.

He’s pretty much been allowed to do whatever he wants.
23 minutes in a 40 minute game for your best player?

After 9 mins, he already had 18 pts. They sat him on the bench from 11:00 of the first half until 5:00. 6 mins.

He was on fire. Remember the arcade game? NBA ‘97 or whatever it was? After you sank 3 shots in a row: “Pippen… He’s on FIRE!” That was House. They elected to “put out the fire”.

That’s not holding him back? As someone else said, he was on pace to score 100.

Needless to say, he scores 15 pts in the first 10 mins against NW, they aren’t going to park him on the bench for 6 mins. Or, they would be wise not to.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

20+ points both games.

After 9 mins, he already had 18 pts. They sat him on the bench from 11:00 of the first half until 5:00. 6 mins.

He was on fire. Remember the arcade game? NBA ‘97 or whatever it was? After you sank 3 shots in a row: “Pippen… He’s on FIRE!” That was House. They elected to “put out the fire”.

Needless to say, he scores 15 pts in the first 10 mins against NW, they aren’t going to park him on the bench for 6 mins. Or, they would be wise not to.
Rule #1: You are not allowed to question or criticize the MBB Coaching staff on KB
Rule #2: Refer to Rule #1
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Lol. I got that reference.

Well played
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Lol. I got that reference.

Well played
:lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

20+ points both games.

We were crushing them all game, 99.9% of coaches would have played that exactly like Archie did.

No point in playing your best player 35 minutes when you’re up that much.

NW is obviously a much better team than Fairfield, so we won’t be killing them like we were on Thursday.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I understand that. That just makes my point, which was: against better competition “they aren’t going to hold House back” ie. he’s going to play the kind of minutes Wheeler and Mobley (or any other elite guard we have had in the last 3 decades) did.

I think it also made teamster’s point as well which was keep your foot on the gas pedal for 40 mins.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't worry Jru,
1. We are not going to collapse at the end anymore as we are not going to play the bench (even though I've heard how deep we are going 9-10 guys)
2. Archie is going to fix it by reviewing film and in meetings (even though it happened Game 1 and then again in Game 2)
3. Fairfield just got lucky at the end and 3's started falling. No worries.
4. We are better than last year's team
5. We will be higher than 14th or 15th
6. Next year we will be back

ooopsy

Just broke Rule #1 and Rule #2 :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Don't worry Jru,
1. We are not going to collapse at the end anymore as we are not going to play the bench (even though I've heard how deep we are going 9-10 guys)
2. Archie is going to fix it by reviewing film and in meetings (even though it happened Game 1 and then again in Game 2)

ooopsy

No clue if this is the majority of conferences, but these preseason polls are often done by SIDs and support staff, not the head coaches who probably aren’t as in tuned as coaches.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ooopsy

Ramster, you mentioned leaving the game early, right? Did you catch the part when Fairfield made a run, and we subbed in our backups?

The player that you think should be the starting point guard was bad. He couldn't handle the pressure of the Fairfield press, which caused many turnovers. Ways had 5 turnovers that game and was close to having a handful more.

Rory isn't a rotation piece. He's a low-major player at best and will barely see the floor this year. He had a few terrible defensive possessions and had an ugly turnover.

Connor is not remotely ready to play at this level, but he played the final 10 minutes of the game. He was 0-3 from the floor and getting abused on the defensive end. He also had a ton of issues with the press.

Foumena, who had a great game, got ejected late as well.

Considering that we only had one guard out there who could handle the ball, and he was having a bad night, it made sense that Fairfield caused turnovers and missed shots.

On the other end, when you factor in that Connor, Ways, and Rory are very weak defenders, it made sense that Fairfield was scoring even when we weren't turning the ball over.

Fairfield was ice cold, and our defense contributed a lot to that, but this is D1 men's basketball, and teams tend to go on a run and get hot at some point. I won't go back and look, but I would guess they hit seven 3s in the final five minutes.

And yes, most of us do have faith in Archie Miller. He's a fantastic coach, and I think he will continue to fix our weaknesses and improve this team as the season goes on. It's hard to play a perfect 40-minute game, so there will always be room for improvement.

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly think Fairfield would come back like that if we kept players like House and Zek in for the final ten minutes.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Agree with much of the early revaluations on Rory and Connor. Archie seemed to speak very highly of the incoming players in the recent presser. So where that leaves Rory and Connor? Way way to early to target them for portal, time will tell.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ooopsy

Ramster, you mentioned leaving the game early, right? Did you catch the part when Fairfield made a run, and we subbed in our backups?

The player that you think should be the starting point guard was bad. He couldn't handle the pressure of the Fairfield press, which caused many turnovers. Ways had 5 turnovers that game and was close to having a handful more.

Rory isn't a rotation piece. He's a low-major player at best and will barely see the floor this year. He had a few terrible defensive possessions and had an ugly turnover.

Connor is not remotely ready to play at this level, but he played the final 10 minutes of the game. He was 0-3 from the floor and getting abused on the defensive end. He also had a ton of issues with the press.

Foumena, who had a great game, got ejected late as well.

Considering that we only had one guard out there who could handle the ball, and he was having a bad night, it made sense that Fairfield caused turnovers and missed shots.

On the other end, when you factor in that Connor, Ways, and Rory are very weak defenders, it made sense that Fairfield was scoring even when we weren't turning the ball over.

Fairfield was ice cold, and our defense contributed a lot to that, but this is D1 men's basketball, and teams tend to go on a run and get hot at some point. I won't go back and look, but I would guess they hit seven 3s in the final five minutes.

And yes, most of us do have faith in Archie Miller. He's a fantastic coach, and I think he will continue to fix our weaknesses and improve this team as the season goes on. It's hard to play a perfect 40-minute game, so there will always be room for improvement.

I don't know what to tell you if you honestly think Fairfield would come back like that if we kept players like House and Zek in for the final ten minutes.
Ramster just wants to be right about his 10 win prediction 😆
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think Buie could have won Big10 Player of the Year. He's going to eat us alive...

I think they are replacing Audige with Ryan Langborg. If people recognize his name, it's because he became a big name during the NCAA tournament for Princeton. Very good player.

They also have Brooks Barnhizer. He went off late last season and dropped 18 and 13 boards in their first game this season.

Berry is a strong player for them, and they also have Nicholson who's a monster. I think he's about 7 feet or close.

Long story short this team is very good and I think we will have trouble keeping it close. I hope I'm wrong. Let's see how they play against Dayton tonight.
They gon Fuch around a find out!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is there a video of the post game presser?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The presser I was referring to was the early in the week one, posted in another topic I think.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Is there a video of the post game presser?
At least so far this year, all post-game press conferences for men's and women's basketball have been on YouTube, along with some media availability sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/@RhodeIslandRams
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t worry about House minutes going forward , Arch wanted to get a look at some players with us having a big lead
In big games that matter I would think Jaden gets 33 minutes or more if the game is close
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Is there a video of the post game presser?
At least so far this year, all post-game press conferences for men's and women's basketball have been on YouTube, along with some media availability sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/@RhodeIslandRams
Thanks, SG
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To answer an earlier question Fairfield was 8-10 on three pointers in last 8 minutes of game. Up to then, Fairfield had total of 44 points and URI had a lead of 33 points when Goodine started the Fairfield three point barrage. From another perspective, Fairfield took 32 minutes to score 44 points, and in the last 8 minutes scored 36 points. This was a unique collision of several circumstances, but Archie is right in that it showed a lack of maturity and lack of playing together experience. It happens, but for it to happen in two consecutive games means it is an issue that has to be addressed and worked on.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago To answer an earlier question Fairfield was 8-10 on three pointers in last 8 minutes of game. Up to then, Fairfield had total of 44 points and URI had a lead of 33 points when Goodine started the Fairfield three point barrage. From another perspective, Fairfield took 32 minutes to score 44 points, and in the last 8 minutes scored 36 points. This was a unique collision of several circumstances, but Archie is right in that it showed a lack of maturity and lack of playing together experience. It happens, but for it to happen in two consecutive games means it is an issue that has to be addressed and worked on.
A lot of those threes were deep with a hand right in their face too.

It was actually 8-9 from three from the 8:14 mark with 7 straight without a miss.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago To answer an earlier question Fairfield was 8-10 on three pointers in last 8 minutes of game. Up to then, Fairfield had total of 44 points and URI had a lead of 33 points when Goodine started the Fairfield three point barrage. From another perspective, Fairfield took 32 minutes to score 44 points, and in the last 8 minutes scored 36 points. This was a unique collision of several circumstances, but Archie is right in that it showed a lack of maturity and lack of playing together experience. It happens, but for it to happen in two consecutive games means it is an issue that has to be addressed and worked on.

It was actually 8-9 from three from the 8:14 mark with 7 straight without a miss.
Yeah they sure had it going late , thank god we had a 34 point cushion
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks Peter. but not to nit-pick, in the last 8 minutes Goodine started a string of 5 threes before Bleechmore missed a trey, then 2 more 3-pointers before a second missed three pointer by Floyd, and then the final and 8th Fairfield trey by Bleechmore with a half minute left. 8-10. To show how extraordinary this stretch was, if Fairfield scored at that pace for the entire game they would have scored 180 points.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago

Thanks Peter. but not to nit-pick, in the last 8 minutes Goodine started a string of 5 threes before Bleechmore missed a trey, then 2 more 3-pointers before a second missed three pointer by Floyd, and then the final and 8th Fairfield trey by Bleechmore with a half minute left. 8-10. To show how extraordinary this stretch was, if Fairfield scored at that pace for the entire game they would have scored 180 points.
Looking at the play by play on ESPN I can only find one miss. Doesn't matter either way they got crazy hot from three.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago

That is not good defense
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4118 for Central Connecticut
4155 for Fairfield

Felt the actual crowd was a bit larger for Fairfield.
Student section seemed more filled in. Giving out the long, skinny balloons to start the 2nd half for students to wave when the Visiting team would be shooting FTs seemed a big hit. There were tons of balloons, more than needed and students grabbed them quickly. Great idea. I'd guess the student section make up consists of a lot of freshmen so important to make the experience fun at the start. Make them want to come back, not like last year a very small student section in February/March

Overall actual Fannie's in seats felt more for Fairfield.
200 level looked more populated, fewer empty seats.

Keep winning!
2 x