Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ace wrote: 1 month ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago I’m confused about why PC fans are coming to our message board today. It’s a massive day for their program as they may or may not make the tournament, and you want to come here to talk shit about Archie? Then again, most of their fanbase is like this, so I’m not surprised.

Because Providence fans stay being the weirdest (and not in a good way) lil folks on the internet.
They've been coming here for years so they can feel superior to someone.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Big East had three very good teams - UConn, Marquette, and Creighton and two extremely bad teams - Georgetown and Depaul. There was a lot of parity between these two groups. That formula often dilutes the number of NCAA bids.

The A-10 is in a similar position (and has often been before) as it has nine teams in the top 93 of the NET ranks. Other than 24-7 Dayton at #23, all the other teams are in the NET range of 69-93 which puts them outside NCAA at large bids.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago But then there's Obvious Nepotism Hire Dan Gavitt :o :o :o
Fixed it for you.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago But then there's Obvious Nepotism Hire Dan Gavitt :o :o :o
Fixed it for you.
Thank you!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Duq with a solid halftime lead but I expect VCU to make it close behind Bamisile.

Bamisile is really fun to watch. He’s the type of player who can get hot and carry a team to a few NCAAT wins.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ohmygod that was utterly brutal

Brown with the absurd choke
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tragic ending to Brown as they miss 3 of 4 free throws in the closing seconds as they fall to Yale 62-61. Brown led by 6 with 27 seconds left but clutch threes by Yale took the game.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Clean kick to the nuts for Brown.
2 x
GO RAMS
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Premature Duquesne ejaculation
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Wow what a brutal loss for Brown. Missed foul shots do not help but I blame it in large part on classic "over coaching" by Mike Martin. It was flat out dumb to foul with six seconds left when they had nothing going on offensively. That led to a wide open two footer, no way they were getting that from the original action. And he did the same on offense when the ball was in his best players hand and he called time out with six seconds left. These two six second sequences that both happened in the last two minutes cost them the game. I mean they really deserved to win that game and I feel bad for their fans and their players. And wow, I miss the hedge that Hurley used to do with 3 point shooters. How do you not hedge that one player on Yale who is a great shooter when up four with less than 30 seconds left. Have to get the ball out of his hands, nope let's play drop coverage and give him an open, albeit tough shot as he was moving very quickly to his left. Hedge it and get the ball out of his hands.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

All time collapse by Brown.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago Clean kick to the nuts for Brown.
nut punch
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago

They still might be. It’s Lunardi version.

I expect St John’s and Pitino to be in. But it’s fun to see the PC fan interest here today. Fun seeing some Bracketologists with just 3 BE Teams. Georgetown and DePaul weighing down the BE Boat.
Yeah I know, just surprised seeing that from Lunardi.

Look at todays BracketMatrix

St John’s is in only 65 of 108
Seton Hall is in only 20 of 108
PC is in only 7 of 108

Odds are none of these 3 teams get in. St John’s is a bit above 50-50 chance

But then there's Dan Gavitt :o :o :o
Honestly none should get in - but if the BE gets 4 teams and the 4th is St. John’s I am ok with that. Rick brings an entertainment factor.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Duquesne is 2-21 in the second half

Still up 6!

Hello? Do you want to win this game? Ice cold.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

VCU lost their top 7 scorers from last year.... 22-12 and in the A10 final
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

way to hang in there duques
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Exciting finish! Happy for Duquesne!
3 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Duquesne celebrating the win reminds me of the moment we broke the 19-year NCAAT drought in 2017. Really happy for them. They look like a great rebounding team too.
2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Dan Bonner was very kind, "that was one odd second half". That was a terrible half of basketball, embarrassing that was the A10 championship on national TV. Brown and Yale was a much better game. I confess to not seeing a second of the first half but what a brick fest that second half was. Surprised VCU played that poorly. Congrats to Duquesne, they are dancing and they could care less what the game looked like.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Exciting finish! Happy for Duquesne!
Yep, happy for Dambrot.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wonder when Duquesne fans will start saying the A10 should kick us out.

What a run!
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Imagine if we had lost an NCAA bid like Brown did today?

Pell bridge here I come!
1 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

0-5 in Conference play and now A10 champs…hats off to Duquesne.

“Attitude is Everything”
Have faith, donate, and Go Rhody!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_2768.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_2753.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_2741.jpeg
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The dukes impressed at the Ryan Center, fast athletic team.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_2748.jpeg
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Wonder when Duquesne fans will start saying the A10 should kick us out.

What a run!
What is really interesting is how a devoted URI basketball fan like Blue Man became so wrong on so many items throughout this season especially with an epic failure on the Archie assessment looming.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago Tragic ending to Brown as they miss 3 of 4 free throws in the closing seconds as they fall to Yale 62-61. Brown led by 6 with 27 seconds left but clutch threes by Yale took the game.
That’s about as bad as it gets up 6 with 27 secs left with a bid on the line and not having danced since 86

That’s Browns version of the URI Stanford 98 game we led by 6 with 59 tics with the final 4 @ stake

Tyson Wheeler witnessed both !
Last edited by reef 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok so I think the final spot is going to come down to either St Johns or Oklahoma, pulling for St Johns to make it and OU to the NIT
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Wonder when Duquesne fans will start saying the A10 should kick us out.

What a run!
What is really interesting is how a devoted URI basketball fan like Blue Man became so wrong on so many items throughout this season especially with an epic failure on the Archie assessment looming.
Wholeheartedly agree though La Salle Fordham GW should be shown the door.

Even before this win, Duquesne only a whole new arena. They’re investing, and hopefully this tourney birth propels them further.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago I’m confused about why PC fans are coming to our message board today. It’s a massive day for their program as they may or may not make the tournament, and you want to come here to talk shit about Archie? Then again, most of their fanbase is like this, so I’m not surprised.
Stevey I’ve had multiple PC fans that I’m friendly with (imagine that and a couple are actual PC alumni) admit to me they’re terrified of URI hoops. Primarily because of our great on campus arena and much more attractive campus. They’re mystified (and happy) that our program hasn’t been able to maintain the course we were on under Dan.

Be happy they kick us when we’re down, it’s actually a very good thing.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago Tragic ending to Brown as they miss 3 of 4 free throws in the closing seconds as they fall to Yale 62-61. Brown led by 6 with 27 seconds left but clutch threes by Yale took the game.
Had they won, they would likely have been the only RI team. Now looks like the state will be shut out.

Only UConn and UVM from all of the six states that make up New England.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Duquesne in the membrane!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Ok so I think the final spot is going to come down to either St Johns or Oklahoma, pulling for St Johns to make it and OU to the NIT
I watched the SJU-Uconn game. SJU has a great offensive team. It was a great game.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah Temple ran out of gas

Would've been totally insane if they pulled it off
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago
Stevey I’ve had multiple PC fans that I’m friendly with (imagine that and a couple are actual PC alumni) admit to me they’re terrified of URI hoops. Primarily because of our great on campus arena and much more attractive campus. They’re mystified (and happy) that our program hasn’t been able to maintain the course we were on under Dan.

“Terrified of URI hoops” seems like a stretch. Doesn’t make too much sense.

I’d have to think they were joking to an extent, we’ve made the tournament twice in 25 years. We haven’t beaten them on the road in like 20 years.

If they were actually serious, they don’t know too much about the current college basketball landscape.

The gap between URI and PC unfortunately has never been bigger.

Recruiting, conference, NIL, home court advantage, national recognition, TV deal, growing fan base all favor PC.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Had they won, they would likely have been the only RI team. Now looks like the state will be shut out.

Yale
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago

Yale

You are right. Completely missed them.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

reef wrote: 1 month ago
That’s about as bad as it gets up 6 with 27 secs left with a bid on the line and not having danced since 86

That’s Browns version of the URI Stanford 98 game we led by 6 with 59 tics with the final 4 @ stake

Tyson Wheeler witnessed both !
Was thinking it, but didn't want to say it, some of us older folk know that feeling all too well...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I’d have to think they were joking to an extent, we’ve made the tournament twice in 25 years. We haven’t beaten them on the road in like 20 years.

If they were actually serious, they don’t know too much about the current college basketball landscape.

Recruiting, conference, NIL, home court advantage, national recognition, TV deal, growing fan base all favor PC.
They were talking potential - zero to do with the current situation. Been on the URI campus lately? Or our on campus arena vs the dump downtown? No contest.

We were right there 3 times. Penders, Harrick and Hurley. Pissed it away.

Maddening.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They were talking potential - zero to do with the current situation. Been on the URI campus lately? Or our on campus arena vs the dump downtown? No contest.

We were right there 3 times. Penders, Harrick and Hurley. Pissed it away.

Maddening.

lol how you can you not include the current situation when talking about potential? That makes zero sense.

This is wild we’re talking about goddamn campuses relative to basketball success.

It’s NIL, resources, coaches.

Who the Christ cares if we have shiny new buildings?

That isn’t going to directly influence the basketball team.

Not in this day.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NEVER want to hear people here say the NCAA is a cartel and rigs the NET for P5.

SIX Mountain West teams, including two in last four in over multiple P5 teams in first four out.

THREE Big East teams, when many thought St John’s and Seton Hall would get in.

No more bitching about the NET. Can’t anymore.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago NEVER want to hear people here say the NCAA is a cartel and rigs the NET for P5.

SIX Mountain West teams, including two in last four in over multiple P5 teams in first four out.

THREE Big East teams, when many thought St John’s and Seton Hall would get in.

No more bitching about the NET. Can’t anymore.
Well SH and SJU suck. Feck the nbe. 3 teams in. lol
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Wah
Wah
Wah
Ftf
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The A10 got one less team in the NCAAT than the nbe. LMAO.
1 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Rooting for Duquesne. They got placed as an 11 seed against 6 seed BYU. Other "bracketologists" were predicting them to be a 13 seed.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago The A10 got one less team in the NCAAT than the nbe. LMAO.
Do you call all conferences “new?”

New a10? New ACC? New sec? New big 12?

Think it’s time to drop that, doesn’t make any sense anymore. Every conference is new.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago The A10 got one less team in the NCAAT than the nbe. LMAO.
Do you call all conferences “new?”

New a10? New ACC? New sec? New big 12?

Think it’s time to drop that, doesn’t make any sense anymore. Every conference is new.
No. It is a consistent reminder to them that they are not what they were before which they need to hear.
0 x