11/6 | Central Connecticut | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 11/6 | Central Connecticut | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I mean…this is what some of us have been saying for a year. Give Archie the chance to get his guys, and transition offense is going to happen.

That game wasn’t close, CCSU with some circus shots at the end after the game was well in hand.

Talent, shooting, BBIQ, and good coaching.

I’d feel pretty foolish if I had picked this team below .500. I get it - CCSU yada yada…good basketball is good basketball, no matter the opponent.

Last years team lost their first two games to similar teams, and this board rightly killed them. So I will not be putting qualifiers on a double digit win that was controlled wire to wire for a team of totally new guys.

This team plays good basketball and it will only get better.

Competent PG play, a capable transition offense, and multiple scorers at different levels.

Right coach. Right guys. Go Rhody.
I guess I am not one of the foolish ones, at least yet, since I had them going 16-15. :D

It is great to win this first game but way too early to start doing cartwheels yet.
Jersey, a 7 win jump over last season is nothing to sneeze at. We are not far apart as I have us at 18 wins which is a 9 win jump.

Either result is a good move in the right direction. 👍🏼
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Agree SG. I won’t say they will suck but this is Fordham you don’t just reload there. They lost two all conf level players so to expect them to keep going where they left off seems like massive recency bias.
With Fordham this season - as far as I am concerned - I will believe it when I see it. I can’t see having more confidence in their new players than ours until they show me in a head to head match up.

If they spank us, that will show me. We shall see.
I watched a good portion of the Fordham Wagner game

They certainly don't have anybody like Quissenberry. They had to play as hard as they could possibly play to beat Wagner in OT.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago I guess I am not one of the foolish ones, at least yet, since I had them going 16-15. :D

It is great to win this first game but way too early to start doing cartwheels yet.
Nothing wrong with cartwheels, Jersey. Enjoy life and the winning as it comes. Live, damn it! Live!

Sorry. Got carried away there at the end. Carry on.

Oh, Jeez, now you did it.

Here comes the excitement police.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Agree SG. I won’t say they will suck but this is Fordham you don’t just reload there. They lost two all conf level players so to expect them to keep going where they left off seems like massive recency bias.
With Fordham this season - as far as I am concerned - I will believe it when I see it. I can’t see having more confidence in their new players than ours until they show me in a head to head match up.

They certainly don't have anybody like Quissenberry. They had to play as hard as they could possibly play to beat Wagner in OT.
We play Wagner next Tuesday, week from today. Good comparison of Fordham and URI a week apart playing the same team at home.

Fordham beat UMBC in Exhibition Game at Fordham by 4 points. Same team that lost by 1 point at Louisville last night.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well as far as cartwheels go our cheer squad nailed a extended cartwheel performance last night.

Pretty impressive.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Out of practice doing cartwheels since the Hurley days. Been a long dry spell since Cox took over.

IMG_0666.gif
IMG_0666.gif (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2331 times
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

We play Wagner next Tuesday, week from today. Good comparison of Fordham and URI a week apart playing the same team at home.

Fordham beat UMBC in Exhibition Game at Fordham by 4 points. Same team that lost by 1 point at Louisville last night.
And Louisville lost to Kentucky Wesleyan...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Louisville lost to Kentucky Wesleyan...
Yep
Just not ready to write off Fordham.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We took them to the wire at their place. We sucked.

They benefitted from a terrible A10.

I don’t expect them to be traditional Fordham bad, but I don’t expect them to be top 4 either.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

I don’t expect them to be traditional Fordham bad, but I don’t expect them to be top 4 either.
Yeah no way they are close to top 4. They were only good last year because of Quisenberry. Without him they are mediocre at best.

I'll go on record and say they finish bottom half of the league. They are going to have a very hard time scoring all year.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Announcer call of the night

"Fighting for the ball, it's a bouncing ball, like seals with a beach ball..and that's a BIG Foumena, coming down with it!"
Did you hear him use the phrase wet as water ??
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 months ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago The one thing that nobody mentioned (well maybe someone did, but I didn't read all 6 pages) was that Rory Stewart was a dnp. Was he hurt or just not going to be part of the rotation?
In the Postgame Press Conference. Archie mentioned that he was still working back from the thigh contusion but was healthy. Archie did mention he was available to play last night but it was a Coachs desicion for him not getting any minutes. So sounds like he is out the rotation as of now.
In the presser Arch also said he wants to get Cam and Dubs more run
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Ok so let’s talk about some of the not great things last night bc it’s all too rosy and the weakness of opponent has to be considered….

-Luis looked uncomfortable with ball pressure and the offense definitely moved better with Ways

-Jaden by no means played hero ball or out of control but there were a few times he had drawn attention and others were open and he didn’t give it up. I specifically remember a play where if he pitched it out Always was wide wide open for a 3

-Foumena was a bit of a black hole with the ball. When he touched whether off a pass or rebound he went up with it. I’m sure just an excitement and anxious thing given he was out a year and thirsty to make his mark.

-we got out hustled a bit for boards in that second half. Despite some depth our bigs looked gassed at times. Also guys were slow on weak side rotations and leaking out for run outs which gave CCSU some second chance opps.

Still beyond excited about the season but few areas of improvement after Game 1
Agree with your points BAR , hoping Luis has a bounce back game on Thursday, Arch says he’s one of the better players on the team so hoping for better production next game

Noticed same thing on Jaden , he’s a bucket getter but hopefully it all happens in the framework of the team and I’m always for passing up a good shot for a great shot , but for sure the kid looks like a scoring machine
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Ok so let’s talk about some of the not great things last night bc it’s all too rosy and the weakness of opponent has to be considered….

-Luis looked uncomfortable with ball pressure and the offense definitely moved better with Ways

-Jaden by no means played hero ball or out of control but there were a few times he had drawn attention and others were open and he didn’t give it up. I specifically remember a play where if he pitched it out Always was wide wide open for a 3

-Foumena was a bit of a black hole with the ball. When he touched whether off a pass or rebound he went up with it. I’m sure just an excitement and anxious thing given he was out a year and thirsty to make his mark.

-we got out hustled a bit for boards in that second half. Despite some depth our bigs looked gassed at times. Also guys were slow on weak side rotations and leaking out for run outs which gave CCSU some second chance opps.

Still beyond excited about the season but few areas of improvement after Game 1
Agree with your points BAR , hoping Luis has a bounce back game on Thursday, Arch says he’s one of the better players on the team so hoping for better production next game

Noticed same thing on Jaden , he’s a bucket getter but hopefully it all happens in the framework of the team and I’m always for passing up a good shot for a great shot , but for sure the kid looks like a scoring machine
You can be selfish if you’re gonna get an efficient 25.

Scorers should be selfish. The right shot is the one that goes in. This isn’t like Fatts jacking up 10 3s and hitting one. This kid scores. Let him do whatever he wants.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Yeah no way they are close to top 4. They were only good last year because of Quisenberry. Without him they are mediocre at best.

I'll go on record and say they finish bottom half of the league. They are going to have a very hard time scoring all year.
I watched a fair amount of the Fordham/Wagner game as well and I'm not ready to say they'll be bad, but they wont replicate the success they've recently had. Also realizing that like almost every team who has made up a large portion of their roster from the portal, its going to take time for them set rotations and form chemistry, much like us. Fordham was fortunate to get a waiver for Medor who figured large in their win, hoping we get similar news with Green. The one thing that really stood out to me was how small Wagner is and Fordham did not look to take advantage, our frontcourt will be superior to theirs.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

But if they (last year) could be top 4...so could this year's Rhody squad. I mean...doesn't seem like the gap from top to bottom is that large or insurmountable...
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We also beat them in the Ryan Center on a night where Quisenberry scored 33 points

Fordham is nothing without his ridiculous deep threes.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"Fighting for the ball, it's a bouncing ball, like seals with a beach ball..and that's a BIG Foumena, coming down with it!"
As silly as that was, the thing I really lost it about and had to turn the volume off was that he tried to engage the other kid on whether water is in fact wet and the kid responded like he was asked to weigh in on the Israel/Palestine conflict and just refused to engage and was pretty awkwardly just insisting on changing the subject. Like, yeah it’s dumb tangent but also if you can’t freewheel a little on low-stakes non-sequiturs then this is probably not the gig for you. That’s a very fundamental part of decent broadcast teams.

I’m appreciative of everyone’s positivity about the game overall but between the disaster of the broadcast and Central Connecticut with the joke of a backdoor cover I honestly came out of the game with a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. Degraded what otherwise should have been a pretty enjoyable night.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 5 months ago

As silly as that was, the thing I really lost it about and had to turn the volume off was that he tried to engage the other kid on whether water is in fact wet and the kid responded like he was asked to weigh in on the Israel/Palestine conflict and just refused to engage and was pretty awkwardly just insisting on changing the subject. Like, yeah it’s dumb tangent but also if you can’t freewheel a little on low-stakes non-sequiturs then this is probably not the gig for you. That’s a very fundamental part of decent broadcast teams.

I’m appreciative of everyone’s positivity about the game overall but between the disaster of the broadcast and Central Connecticut with the joke of a backdoor cover I honestly came out of the game with a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. Degraded what otherwise should have been a pretty enjoyable night.
Was watching the women's game earlier and got reminded of another one of my favorite lines from the new kids!

Something like

"With that 3 the Rams stomp on the door!"

"Rhody is stomping on the door!"

Said something to that effect last night and tonight.

LOLOL

No one stomps on a goddamn door!!! Unless it's to like a cellar or something. Did we banish the opponent to the cellar and then stomp on the door!?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely hysterical TP , losing it over here
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would guess that those that could actually get to the game (did not have to suffer the broadcast) AND....very big "and", did not wager on the game...likely did not have the same bitter aftertaste?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another thing about about House and his 25 points. He probably should have had about 30 if the refs would have called some fouls. He got hacked on a few drives to the basket that weren't called. In fact, the first foul they did call was around midway through the 2nd half and Jaden kind of looked up to the sky and laughingly said thank you. He got to the line 5 times. It should have been more like 11 or 12.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Another thing about about House and his 25 points. He probably should have had about 30 if the refs would have called some fouls. He got hacked on a few drives to the basket that weren't called. In fact, the first foul they did call was around midway through the 2nd half and Jaden kind of looked up to the sky and laughingly said thank you. He got to the line 5 times. It should have been more like 11 or 12.
House should also benefit from the new block/charge rules.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

I would guess that those that could actually get to the game (did not have to suffer the broadcast) AND....very big "and", did not wager on the game...likely did not have the same bitter aftertaste?
Got to game
Didn't wager
No bitter aftertaste

I'm now used to the sporadic Ry-Fi connection. Sometimes amazingly I feel like I hit the jackpot and the Ry-Fi actually connects- then I think yikes I better hurry before I lose it. Then I do lose it. But only to get a connection later!!! It's like hitting the lottery!!!

As for the broadcasts how many people do you think ESPN+ has watching the game worldwide?
Does anybody watch a URI ESPN+ game other than URI fans?

Somebody must know the number each game?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Another thing about about House and his 25 points. He probably should have had about 30 if the refs would have called some fouls. He got hacked on a few drives to the basket that weren't called. In fact, the first foul they did call was around midway through the 2nd half and Jaden kind of looked up to the sky and laughingly said thank you. He got to the line 5 times. It should have been more like 11 or 12.
What are those new charge/block rules?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago
I don’t have the exact wording but it has to do with a defender around the basket. The defender has to be set by the time the O player plants his first foot to go up to the basket.

It seems to me to give a the O player more benefit than before. The diff to me seems to be the planting of the foot by the O player whereas the old rule was when the O player went up - if I have that correct. Seems like then,
a slight change in favor of the O vs the D.

Maybe someone here has the exact rule wording available to post.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Got to game
Didn't wager
No bitter aftertaste

I'm now used to the sporadic Ry-Fi connection. Sometimes amazingly I feel like I hit the jackpot and the Ry-Fi actually connects- then I think yikes I better hurry before I lose it. Then I do lose it. But only to get a connection later!!! It's like hitting the lottery!!!

As for the broadcasts how many people do you think ESPN+ has watching the game worldwide?

Probably more than we would think.

I think a lot of us here at least watch other A-10 teams. I watch a bunch of different games all year. Especially if I see that it's a close game. Then you got your gamblers. Whenever I gamble I'll watch games I gamble on.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don’t the exact wording but it has to do with a defender around the basket. The defender has to be set by the time the O player plants his first foot to go up to the basket.

It seems to me to give a the O player more benefit than before.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it Jdrums. I hadn't heard about the change until I saw them talking about it during the Baylor game last night. It sounds like its more like the NBA rule now. I think its a good change. No more of defenders sliding under a guy when he is already in the air to draw a charge.

Here is the explanation I came across last night when I looked it up.

"Under the new rule, a defender to draw a charge must be in position at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal. If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch towards the hoop, officials will be coached to call a block if or when contact occurs."
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I don’t have the exact wording but it has to do with a defender around the basket. The defender has to be set by the time the O player plants his first foot to go up to the basket.

It seems to me to give a the O player more benefit than before. The diff to me seems to be the planting of the foot by the O player whereas the old rule was when the O player went up - if I have that correct. Seems like then,
a slight change in favor of the O vs the D.

OK thanks, I always think it is a quick eyeball, bang bang play that is a crap shoot on most of them. Difficult job those zebras have for sure.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Archie presser up on you tube 22 minutes, started out talking about Hammond and Farrell letter of intent signings
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Archie presser up on you tube 22 minutes, started out talking about Hammond and Farrell letter of intent signings
Where is this Reef? What youtube account is it?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Got to game
Didn't wager
No bitter aftertaste

Subscriptions sold, or people actually watching :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
reef wrote: 5 months ago Archie presser up on you tube 22 minutes, started out talking about Hammond and Farrell letter of intent signings
It looks like they post his press sessions on this account now. You can also see the ruggedly handsome Shane Donaldson on the left.

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's also in the Fairfield game thread
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
It looks like they post his press sessions on this account now. You can also see the ruggedly handsome Shane Donaldson on the left.

Yes it looks like the press availability is different this year ?? Weston and Fuchs also had a presser yesterday

Once you watch a presser , they usually pop up on your you tube feed
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago How is the attendance and student turnout?
There were about 10 students in my section. Students just aren't going to put up with the worst seats in the house when there are better seats open. And it's hard to build a student section when they're scattered throughout the building
4118 for Central Connecticut and 4155 for Fairfield (37 more)

Student turnout was better than I expected but then maybe my expectations were low because the student turnout last February had gotten close to non-existent

Good thing about students is you get a big new batch of Freshmen and most live on campus so easy to get to and walk home from the Ryan Center.

Now important to win and make the experience fun so these students keep coming back, not drop off like last year.
3 x