11/6 | Central Connecticut | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/6 | Central Connecticut | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago And the best part about House and Montgomery...don't have to re-recruit them. They can't go anywhere without sitting so that means they aren't going anywhere. Add Green, Weston and Kortright to that list. So while the rule may hurt us this year with Green I think in the long run it's better for the game and better for an A10 program.
That doesn’t count though for grad transfers, correct?

Like if X player transfers once, graduates from the new school and still has one season left, I believe that player would have immediate eligibility?
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we didn't empty the bench and take our foot off the gas we would have run away with that game in the second half. CCSU was fairly athletic, pretty well coached and I swear they had more lucky bounces than I've ever seen lol. Like the ball bouncing off the bottom of the backboard and into their forwards hands for a layup. Lots of plays like that and they made a ton of tough 2 point jump shots.

House>>>>>Leggett. Sorry folks that's a net gain. House's game looks more well rounded to me. He's more athletic, quicker and I cant see him disappearing like Ish because he doesn't count on his jump shot to get going. He is incredible at getting to the basket. Maybe better than any Rhody player I've seen at getting to the basket. Crazy explosive.

We just haven't had guys like Zek. 6'6 skilled athletic guys like that don't go to Rhody. He's a high major player. His ceiling is very high like, i wouldn't be surprised if he's our next NBA player.

Always Wright is a freaking point guard ya'll! FINALLY. Best PG other than Dowtin I've seen, but I don't like comparing him to Jeff because they're very different players. As far as running the team on the fast break? Best I've seen from a Rhody PG since I've been a fan. (Fan since 05-06) he made our offense deadly with Zek and House going downhill. Freaking awesome. When he starts becoming a force scoring the ball he will be an all league player. I've ALWAYS wanted us to have a pass first PG like that.

Fuchs is in fact a grown man. Dude was just solid. Obviously a pro, he and Tyson were very solid out there. Both of them need a little more lift on some of their lay ups. Got stuffed more for my liking. Both a whole universe better than what we had last year. Loved what I saw from Foumena. Still raw, but his size and athleticism is impressive. Sucks he can hardly hit the rim on those FT's...Bilau will make this group easily one of the best in the A-10. Bilau's a little more skilled under the basket. Rory might as well transfer lol....

Weston!!!! I talked shit and you proved me wrong! There's some of that 4 star talent! Way to be aggressive and confident! About as deadly going to the rim as Jaden and Zek and hit some big threes there.

Luis left a lot to be desired...I know he can do better than that but I don't think he's that comfortable running the point and he's a notch down athletically compared to most everyone else. Hope to see him hit some shots and get going Thursday.

Estevez looked okay...I imagine he won't get much playing time down the line and right now it's hard for me to see what he's capable of. Didn't really flash at all.

Rhody is back and Archie is one helluva coach. Night and day. We played so unselfishly and hardly ever forced any shots. No iso/one on one bs we've seen here for years.

Get Bilau back and DAMNIT I wish they'd free Green!
9 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago And the best part about House and Montgomery...don't have to re-recruit them. They can't go anywhere without sitting so that means they aren't going anywhere. Add Green, Weston and Kortright to that list. So while the rule may hurt us this year with Green I think in the long run it's better for the game and better for an A10 program.

Like if X player transfers once, graduates from the new school and still has one season left, I believe that player would have immediate eligibility?
This is House and Kortright''s 4th year, so if they graduate, they wouldn't need a waiver.
Same with Green.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wright tonight, looked exactly how he looked in his scouting videos from the JUCO team. When he was in the game, the whole team just played better. It was subtle, it's hard to put a finger on. But the momentum is there, the other players just tend to be in better positions to make a play, the ball just seems to bounce better for them. It's kind of dumb thing to say, but he just has a positive influence on the entire team, that really doesn't appear in any category other than the assists like the ones that he got today. He's entire job at the JUCO was to make his teammates, a few of whom were going to FBS P5 schools, look better.

And basically that's what Ben Hammond's job is at Paul VI too, so he'll be more of the same.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

This is House and Kortright''s 4th year, so if they graduate, they wouldn't need a waiver.
Same with Green.
That’s what I thought.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So we need to get to their professors and have them fail them. I kid
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’m really happy with the direction this program is setting off the new season.
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really nice start to the season , so much to like Jaden and Zek combining for 45 and Always 9 assists

Luis play was concerning and Big Fou from the FT line

On to Thursday night !!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Announcer call of the night

"Fighting for the ball, it's a bouncing ball, like seals with a beach ball..and that's a BIG Foumena, coming down with it!"
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 months ago Hope they cover.
Sorry for your loss. Unless you got in early. Unbelievable.
I think the final spread was -10.5 so they did cover, but just barely. I didn't have any $$ on the line.I was thinking NET.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago If we didn't empty the bench and take our foot off the gas we would have run away with that game in the second half. CCSU was fairly athletic, pretty well coached and I swear they had more lucky bounces than I've ever seen lol. Like the ball bouncing off the bottom of the backboard and into their forwards hands for a layup. Lots of plays like that and they made a ton of tough 2 point jump shots.

House>>>>>Leggett. Sorry folks that's a net gain. House's game looks more well rounded to me. He's more athletic, quicker and I cant see him disappearing like Ish because he doesn't count on his jump shot to get going. He is incredible at getting to the basket. Maybe better than any Rhody player I've seen at getting to the basket. Crazy explosive.

We just haven't had guys like Zek. 6'6 skilled athletic guys like that don't go to Rhody. He's a high major player. His ceiling is very high like, i wouldn't be surprised if he's our next NBA player.

Always Wright is a freaking point guard ya'll! FINALLY. Best PG other than Dowtin I've seen, but I don't like comparing him to Jeff because they're very different players. As far as running the team on the fast break? Best I've seen from a Rhody PG since I've been a fan. (Fan since 05-06) he made our offense deadly with Zek and House going downhill. Freaking awesome. When he starts becoming a force scoring the ball he will be an all league player. I've ALWAYS wanted us to have a pass first PG like that.

Fuchs is in fact a grown man. Dude was just solid. Obviously a pro, he and Tyson were very solid out there. Both of them need a little more lift on some of their lay ups. Got stuffed more for my liking. Both a whole universe better than what we had last year. Loved what I saw from Foumena. Still raw, but his size and athleticism is impressive. Sucks he can hardly hit the rim on those FT's...Bilau will make this group easily one of the best in the A-10. Bilau's a little more skilled under the basket. Rory might as well transfer lol....

Weston!!!! I talked shit and you proved me wrong! There's some of that 4 star talent! Way to be aggressive and confident! About as deadly going to the rim as Jaden and Zek and hit some big threes there.

Luis left a lot to be desired...I know he can do better than that but I don't think he's that comfortable running the point and he's a notch down athletically compared to most everyone else. Hope to see him hit some shots and get going Thursday.

Estevez looked okay...I imagine he won't get much playing time down the line and right now it's hard for me to see what he's capable of. Didn't really flash at all.

Rhody is back and Archie is one helluva coach. Night and day. We played so unselfishly and hardly ever forced any shots. No iso/one on one bs we've seen here for years.

Great summary; easy on the House comparison on getting to the hoop,I recall we had this EC Matthews that was pretty good in that skill area, Don’t want to derail the thread. But had to add.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wright with 27 minutes tied for 2nd most minutes of all players for both teams
Could URI be starting 2 freshmen for Northwestern and Mississippi State/Washington State games?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Wright with 27 minutes tied for 2nd most minutes of all players for both teams
Could URI be starting 2 freshmen for Northwestern and Mississippi State/Washington State games?
Maybe, let's see how Luis and Ways play in the next 2 games.
I do like the energy, speed, and court awareness of Ways.
Also remember Luis wasn't a true PG.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Wright with 27 minutes tied for 2nd most minutes of all players for both teams
Luis did not look like a PG last night. Hence why I say Wright could be handed the starting PG keys soon

Who saw Wright getting Playing time like this so soon? 27 minutes in just his 1st game and clearly running the show, making players around him better.

Foumena and Brown battling for playing time is healthy.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Luis did not look like a PG last night. Hence why I say Wright could be handed the starting PG keys soon

Who saw Wright getting Playing time like this so soon? 27 minutes in just his 1st game and clearly running the show, making players around him better.

Foumena and Brown battling for playing time is healthy.
Weston had a solid game.
Can see a smaller faster lineup at times with: Ways, House, Weston, Zek, and Brown or Fuchs.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ways will thrive most in an open up and down game. In a more half court game Kortright is going to be more effective until Ways gets stronger and more confident looking for his own offense.

They are different players and bring something different to the table which is good for Arch to mix and match.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Ways will thrive most in an open up and down game. In a more half court game Kortright is going to be more effective until Ways gets stronger and more confident looking for his own offense.

They are different players and bring something different to the table which is good for Arch to mix and match.
Nice to have options in both the frontcourt and backcourt.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They looked much much better than last year with skill upgrades across the board. I want to see these guys against a little better competition before going crazy with praise. Getting to the rim against good teams will not be quite so easy as it was last night. But all in all a very good start. Always was much better than I anticipated.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean…this is what some of us have been saying for a year. Give Archie the chance to get his guys, and transition offense is going to happen.

That game wasn’t close, CCSU with some circus shots at the end after the game was well in hand.

Talent, shooting, BBIQ, and good coaching.

I’d feel pretty foolish if I had picked this team below .500. I get it - CCSU yada yada…good basketball is good basketball, no matter the opponent.

Last years team lost their first two games to similar teams, and this board rightly killed them. So I will not be putting qualifiers on a double digit win that was controlled wire to wire for a team of totally new guys.

This team plays good basketball and it will only get better.

Competent PG play, a capable transition offense, and multiple scorers at different levels.

Right coach. Right guys. Go Rhody.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 5 months ago They looked much much better than last year with skill upgrades across the board. I want to see these guys against a little better competition before going crazy with praise. Getting to the rim against good teams will not be quite so easy as it was last night. But all in all a very good start. Always was much better than I anticipated.
Like I said before, we will know much more about our team at the Mohegan Sun.
I expect us to go 3-0 into that tournament.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Great game. House is explosive. He did some moves to get to the net that just looked beautiful. He did this nice behind the back dribble to get around the defender that was just perfect. Zek is talented. Good size, good athleticism. Fuchs, dude looks like a grown man. Always was probably the biggest pleasant surprise of the night. He makes everyone around him better. I sit behind the bench and really love how engaged Archie is. He would come over to those on the bench to tell them what he was seeing, what to look for.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So great to see the upgrade in talent and loved Zek, Fuchs, and Wright's games. 9 dimes! Foumena needs to obviously work on his FTs as he'll get to the line often I'm sure. Obviously a couple of hiccups in a first game, like allowing them nearly back in it after going up 19 to have them cut the lead to 10 early second half, but showed resiliancy in getting it back to 23 later in the half. Turning off the jets late allowed the score to seem closer than it was. We'll take our lumps, but we'll be there in every game and there's no way we finish 14th.
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I mean…this is what some of us have been saying for a year. Give Archie the chance to get his guys, and transition offense is going to happen.

That game wasn’t close, CCSU with some circus shots at the end after the game was well in hand.

I’d feel pretty foolish if I had picked this team below .500. I get it - CCSU yada yada…good basketball is good basketball, no matter the opponent.

Last years team lost their first two games to similar teams, and this board rightly killed them. So I will not be putting qualifiers on a double digit win that was controlled wire to wire for a team of totally new guys.

Competent PG play, a capable transition offense, and multiple scorers at different levels.

I guess I am not one of the foolish ones, at least yet, since I had them going 16-15. :D

It is great to win this first game but way too early to start doing cartwheels yet.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Some wicked nice highlight reels last night, house spin movies, Fouema dunks, and the out of bounds alley pass to Brown. And Zek
3 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Pretty surprising to me! I thought Estevez might be ahead of him on the depth chart because there was more positive buzz, but it seems Wright is #2 on the PG depth chart right now. He and Estevez combined for 2 points in 34 minutes, which is something that bears watching going forward, but I don't think we're going to know much about how good this team is until Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State. Wagner gave Fordham a game, but I think Fordham might suck again.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

A lot of good stuff all around last night. I know it's only one game, but we look much improved from last year. Most importantly, we looked like a team!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago

Pretty surprising to me! I thought Estevez might be ahead of him on the depth chart because there was more positive buzz, but it seems Wright is #2 on the PG depth chart right now. He and Estevez combined for 2 points in 34 minutes, which is something that bears watching going forward, but I don't think we're going to know much about how good this team is until Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State. Wagner gave Fordham a game, but I think Fordham might suck again.
I don't think Fordham will suck again this season, can't go by one game.
Fordham shot 34.5% in the 1st half and 53.8% in the 2nd half.
Tyje Kelton had a double/double for Wagner (17 pts/13 rebs, Council added 21 pts.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Wow, that was a breath of fresh air last night. That was some fun and good basketball and was so much better to watch than last years team. That alone makes me happy. It is hard to say how good they will be but I am looking forward to watching them play and going to the Ryan Center. In all honesty, it has been a while since I can say that.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ways is a sophomore.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
Ways is a sophomore.
Yeah, I thought of that earlier this am. Fuchs will be 20 on November 21. I don't see Wrights age but my guess he is a year or more younger than Fuchs.

Nice to have young guys like this who show such potential to improve. They are already good!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago If we didn't empty the bench and take our foot off the gas we would have run away with that game in the second half. CCSU was fairly athletic, pretty well coached and I swear they had more lucky bounces than I've ever seen lol. Like the ball bouncing off the bottom of the backboard and into their forwards hands for a layup. Lots of plays like that and they made a ton of tough 2 point jump shots.

Great summary; easy on the House comparison on getting to the hoop,I recall we had this EC Matthews that was pretty good in that skill area, Don’t want to derail the thread. But had to add.
Yeah I thought of EC. It's definitely close, I was thinking of EC everytime we had a fast break to the basket. Like yes! We finally have another guy that will finish!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 months ago Hope they cover.
Sorry for your loss. Unless you got in early. Unbelievable.
I think the final spread was -10.5 so they did cover, but just barely. I didn't have any $$ on the line.I was thinking NET.
Oh I didn't see it drop must have been last-minute. I didn't have any scratch on it either. Crazy how close Vegas gets it consistently!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ok so let’s talk about some of the not great things last night bc it’s all too rosy and the weakness of opponent has to be considered….

-Luis looked uncomfortable with ball pressure and the offense definitely moved better with Ways

-Jaden by no means played hero ball or out of control but there were a few times he had drawn attention and others were open and he didn’t give it up. I specifically remember a play where if he pitched it out Always was wide wide open for a 3

-Foumena was a bit of a black hole with the ball. When he touched whether off a pass or rebound he went up with it. I’m sure just an excitement and anxious thing given he was out a year and thirsty to make his mark.

-we got out hustled a bit for boards in that second half. Despite some depth our bigs looked gassed at times. Also guys were slow on weak side rotations and leaking out for run outs which gave CCSU some second chance opps.

Still beyond excited about the season but few areas of improvement after Game 1
7 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I had the same thought on Foumena at times. Loved his energy and I also wondered if he was just a little too amped up to be back out there. I remember one of the announcers mentioning at one point how Rory said Foumena wouldn't shut up about how excited he was to get back on the court.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tyje Kelton had a double/double for Wagner (17 pts/13 rebs, Council added 21 pts.
You can say you won't know how good this team is until Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State but you can
Already dismiss Fordham as sucking again after just one game?

Agree 77, Fordham will not suck this year.
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

To be fair to Foumena, he went 2-for-4, and got to the line four times. I think he was fine on offense. I'd be more worried about one defensive rebound in 15 minutes, although that's even tempered by the fact that (most of) our guards and wings are good rebounders for their size or because of their athleticism.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

You can say you won't know how good this team is until Northwestern and Mississippi State / Washington State but you can
Already dismiss Fordham as sucking again after just one game?

Agree 77, Fordham will not suck this year.
I think you meant to reply to me, not 77. But yeah, I'm pessimistic on Fordham being able to replace (essentially) 65 minutes and 35 points per game from their starting lineup last year. Last year's record was also pretty inflated thanks to their schedule strength. I think there is a chance they suck again - probably about equal chance to me that they finish less than 10 wins vs. more than 20 wins, with the most likely outcome that they're right around .500.

Our team has a ton of players with almost zero D-I experience (Foumena, Wright, Estevez, Brown, Fuchs) expected to play right away. That could work out great, work out awful, or work out somewhere in-between. There is really high variance. Whereas with Fordham, it's easier to look at what they lost and what they brought in.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree SG. I won’t say they will suck but this is Fordham you don’t just reload there. They lost two all conf level players so to expect them to keep going where they left off seems like massive recency bias.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I mean…this is what some of us have been saying for a year. Give Archie the chance to get his guys, and transition offense is going to happen.

I guess I am not one of the foolish ones, at least yet, since I had them going 16-15. :D

It is great to win this first game but way too early to start doing cartwheels yet.
Nothing wrong with cartwheels, Jersey. Enjoy life and the winning as it comes. Live, damn it! Live!

Sorry. Got carried away there at the end. Carry on.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The one thing that nobody mentioned (well maybe someone did, but I didn't read all 6 pages) was that Rory Stewart was a dnp. Was he hurt or just not going to be part of the rotation?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago The one thing that nobody mentioned (well maybe someone did, but I didn't read all 6 pages) was that Rory Stewart was a dnp. Was he hurt or just not going to be part of the rotation?
He was hurt at the intrasquad scrimmage so I'm assuming it's that.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Agree SG. I won’t say they will suck but this is Fordham you don’t just reload there. They lost two all conf level players so to expect them to keep going where they left off seems like massive recency bias.
With Fordham this season - as far as I am concerned - I will believe it when I see it. I can’t see having more confidence in their new players than ours until they show me in a head to head match up.

If they spank us, that will show me. We shall see.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago The one thing that nobody mentioned (well maybe someone did, but I didn't read all 6 pages) was that Rory Stewart was a dnp. Was he hurt or just not going to be part of the rotation?
I thought he was in uniform. I'll try to pay closer attention to that Thursday
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
I thought he was in uniform. I'll try to pay closer attention to that Thursday
He was in uniform, went through all the warm ups, etc. I think both he and Connor are going to find a hard time getting minutes this year.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

In the Postgame Press Conference. Archie mentioned that he was still working back from the thigh contusion but was healthy. Archie did mention he was available to play last night but it was a Coachs desicion for him not getting any minutes. So sounds like he is out the rotation as of now.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

No reason for Rory to see the floor especially with Bilau back soon
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No reason for Rory to see the floor especially with Bilau back soon
Yeah - I suspect there might be some breadcrumb laying here, to allow him to transfer or medical redshirt, if he wants. If Bilau is back soon, then it's really hard to imagine him in anything but spot match-up or emergency duty.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No reason for Rory to see the floor especially with Bilau back soon
Yeah - I suspect there might be some breadcrumb laying here, to allow him to transfer or medical redshirt, if he wants. If Bilau is back soon, then it's really hard to imagine him in anything but spot match-up or emergency duty.
Nothing against the kid at all, but it's a good problem to have.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And then next season you add Green and Farrell to the front court mix and his chances for PT drop even further.
Writing on the wall.
And as others have said, for our program, that's a good thing.
3 x