11/1 | Assumption | 7:00PM (Varsity App) (EXHIBITION)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/1 | Assumption | 7:00PM (Varsity App) (EXHIBITION)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Assumption University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, November 1, 2023
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: N/A
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews

Well, well, well…if it isn’t college basketball season already. After losing nine of ten to close out the 2022-23 season, the Rams look to bounce back from the doldrums of the bottom of the A10. They will start this process by taking the floor in an exhibition game to get ready for the upcoming season against DII Assumption College. Coach Scott Faucher enters his 5th season (or is it 4th since they didn’t play during the COVID year?) at the helm of the Greyhounds after winning the WACBA Coach of the Year in his one-year coaching Nichols to a CCC Championship. The Greyhounds lost their leading scorer in Isiah Gaiter, who transferred to South Alabama. He was also the leading facilitator as he had nearly twice as many assists as the next closest player on the team last season. They do return the other two double-digit scorers from last season with senior Njavan Stewart & graduate student Kani Glover. Assumption’s top big man & Australian native, Cooper Creek, led the team in rebounds with 5.5 while averaging 9.7 points per contest.

As for Rhody, there has been a lot of roster turnover. As most of us know, the biggest loss was Ish Leggett, who transferred to Pittsburgh. Thankfully coach Archie Miller was able to replace most, if not all of his production with High Point transfer Jaden House. Throw in Bradley transfer Zek Montgomery, Quinnipiac transfer Luis Kortrught, a few other transfers & an incoming freshmen class, I think we have a better lineup compared to last year. Will it result in more wins, God I hope so. One roster question mark (I believe?) is Louisiana Tech transfer David Green, who is still waiting for a waiver.

One thing to consider with this many new players, how will this team gel? Are clear roles defined? There are some question marks with this team as these transfer players came from lower divisions. Will they struggle a bit to start off going up a level? I am under the Assumption that this game will be a good way to test things out. (See what I did there.) Let’s hope this game gets rid of the rust & sloppiness. Play as a cohesive unit & don’t get any injuries. All I am looking for before the tip off the season on Monday the 6th against Central Connecticut. My prediction URI 81 – Assumption 64. Thank you & Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
0-0, 0-0 in the NE10
14-14, 10-10 in the NE10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: N/A (263)*
RPI: N/A (281)
KenPom: N/A (193)
BPI: N/A (248)*
Sagarin: N/A (229)*
Barttovik: N/A (183)*
*Denotes Last Season Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Njavan Stewart 13.8 (Sr., G)*
Rebounds – Cooper Creek 5.5 (Sr., F)*
Assists – Kani Glover 2.0 (GS., G) (2.9 TO per game)*
*Denotes Last Season Rankings

Historical
Series: 3-1 (including an exhibition game)
H: 3-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/11/05 71-55 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 - URI
Last edited by spookydog 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
12 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/1 | Assumption | 7:00PM (Varsity App) (EXHIBITION)

Unread post by adam914 »

I've been anxiously awaiting the return of the game threads and spooky previews! The season is finally here!!!
8 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We last played Assumption in 2005

https://gorhody.com/news/2005/11/11/11_ ... _4095.aspx

Trailed at halftime!

Wasn't Assumption Jimmy Barons only offer out of high school? Did a year of prep and came here instead.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago We last played Assumption in 2005

Trailed at halftime!

Wasn't Assumption Jimmy Barons only offer out of high school? Did a year of prep and came here instead.
It might have been, but IIRC, I also don't think he was heavily recruited because it was always thought that he was going to end up with his dad at URI. This is just my memory though, and I can't find old recruiting stuff from that time. (247 claims to go back that far, but its archive is clearly incomplete. Scout was around back then but its archiving is awful, to the point that we were complaining about it 11 years ago, and they aren't even reliably on the Internet Archive.)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago

Trailed at halftime!

It might have been, but IIRC, I also don't think he was heavily recruited because it was always thought that he was going to end up with his dad at URI. This is just my memory though, and I can't find old recruiting stuff from that time. (247 claims to go back that far, but its archive is clearly incomplete. Scout was around back then but its archiving is awful, to the point that we were complaining about it 11 years ago, and they aren't even reliably on the Internet Archive.)
Yeah, but I do seem to remember them talking about how unready he was physically for D1 basketball.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Look forward to the reports from people who attend
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Trailed at halftime!

Thanks for catching that. I will update accordingly. I was going off of the Assumption Website that never showed the game. Their website showed them playing at PC 3 times in the early 80s. I wonder if that is because they were in the regular season while this was an exhibition. Per URI Record Book (which I should have originally checked), it shows that they played in 1939, 1974, & 1986.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Spooky, you legend!!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Assumption is picked 8th in the NE10 (Div. 2).
So, except to get a glimpse of the athleticism of our players against an opposing team, don't think we can really gage our potential.

Also, unfortunately since Green's status is still undetermined and is currently ineligible, we won't see him play.
Unless of course, we hear good news between now and Wednesday.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Oh, but we can judge our potential. They start throwing up bricks in this game like last year, we can judge. This game is about everyone making baskets. If they don't against this team, it's gonna be another long year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Oh, but we can judge our potential. They start throwing up bricks in this game like last year, we can judge. This game is about everyone making baskets. If they don't against this team, it's gonna be another long year.
Well you are right, I guess potential or lack of in a negative way, hopefully that doesn't happen.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Assumption is picked 8th in the NE10 (Div. 2).
So, except to get a glimpse of the athleticism of our players against an opposing team, don't think we can really gage our potential.

Also, unfortunately since Green's status is still undetermined and is currently ineligible, we won't see him play.
Unless of course, we hear good news between now and Wednesday.
Sort of agree but I’m going just to get eyes on all the new faces. Only 5 minutes from my house, I certainly wouldn’t consider a long drive for a pretend game…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm expecting a 20-25 point win.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I 'm just interested to see if Archie starts using a rotation or if everybody just gets a bunch of minutes. Maybe get an idea of who will see the minutes to start the season.....but probably not.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I won't be making the 90-minute commute for an exhibition, so if anyone wants my tickets, let me know.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I'm expecting a 20-25 point win.
If we win by 19 I guess we might as well not even play the rest of the season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Only 10 minutes from my house. A chance to see all the new faces against a team other than themselves.
And I would guess a definate win. What's not to like.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….with what we are paying Archie shouldn’t we win by 40? 😏
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Oh, but we can judge our potential. They start throwing up bricks in this game like last year, we can judge. This game is about everyone making baskets. If they don't against this team, it's gonna be another long year.
Well you are right, I guess potential or lack of in a negative way, hopefully that doesn't happen.
There is always something(s) I can away from a game. I just try my best to keep it/them in proper context.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I'm expecting a 20-25 point win.
That’s a good ”Assumption”.
6 x
'No Mercy.'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can't see this as a 25 point blowout.

Over the years, multiple teams have lost preseason exhibitions to D2 teams, only to have a tournament team at years end. (Not saying we are a tournament team obviously.)

St Johns, although down 2 starters, lost to D2 Pace. Like us, they have almost a whole new team.

Louisville (granted they are in rough shape) also lost to a D2 team.

I just won't be surprised if we struggle in first half and end up winning by 8-15.

We did not have an exhibition last year work out the kinks and we lost our first two home games.

Hopefully tomorrow is used to see what we have, adjust some things, and come back prepared for CCSU.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago I can't see this as a 25 point blowout.

Over the years, multiple teams have lost preseason exhibitions to D2 teams, only to have a tournament team at years end. (Not saying we are a tournament team obviously.)

St Johns, although down 2 starters, lost to D2 Pace. Like us, they have almost a whole new team.

I just won't be surprise if we struggle in first half half and end up winning by 8-15.

We did not have an exhibition last year work out the kinks and we lost our first two home games.

Hopefully tomorrow is used to see what we have, adjust some things, and come back prepared for CCSU.
Poppycock!

any margin of victory less than 40 points is a fail.

fail. fail. fail.

blow their doors off and send the greyhounds back to woostah.
4 x
:lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Easy there, BluBallz. Don’t get your ballz in a bunch yet. It isn’t even November yet. Conserve your energy. :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Slow start, fast finish.
1 x
GO RAMS
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I love the 20-25 predictions…. I can’t remember us blowing anyone out ever. :lol:
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

St John’s lost to Pace
Louisville lost in an exhibition yesterday.

It happens.

I hope we win and I don’t care by how much. And if we lose I really don’t care either because it means nothing,

Now, if we lose Monday that will suck!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SandorClegane wrote: 5 months ago I love the 20-25 predictions…. I can’t remember us blowing anyone out ever. :lol:
Pretty sure we've blown out pretty much every d2/d3 team we've ever played in an exhibition.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Game Day!! Long wait for the curtain to go up on Archie year 2. Expectations going up. Based on nothing actually, just what is rattling in my head. Go Rhody!
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago I can't see this as a 25 point blowout.

I just won't be surprised if we struggle in first half and end up winning by 8-15.

Louisville is dealing with their own David Cox situation right now. A lead assistant great at recruiting movong to head coach seat and cannot coach his way out of a paper bag. And he went to the DC school of press comferences. After their loss, he blamed a player for having no rebounds when that player never got into the game. He didn't play the kid and then blamed him for the loss - truly a weird comment to make in the post-game presser...it gave me PTSD flashbacks to Cox's bizarre press conference answers.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago St John’s lost to Pace

It happens.

I hope we win and I don’t care by how much. And if we lose I really don’t care either because it means nothing,

i disagree. Yes, a win in an exhibition game means nothing. A loss however to a D2 commuter school may not mean a lot, but it's most definitely means something.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago

It happens.

i disagree. Yes, a win in an exhibition game means nothing. A loss however to a D2 commuter school may not mean a lot, but it's most definitely means something.
In 2009, Syracuse lost an exhibition game to the same D2 school that just beat Louisville. They were a 3-seed in the tournament that year finishing the year ranked 16 at Kenpom.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago

It happens.

In 2009, Syracuse lost an exhibition game to the same D2 school that just beat Louisville. They were a 3-seed in the tournament that year finishing the year ranked 16 at Kenpom.
the loss must have meant something to them
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Finally game day!!! Here's to hoping this is the start of the comeback!
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago

the loss must have meant something to them
It probably works as an immediate "wake up" call to an otherwise talented squad - something the coach can use as motivation. And since the season is so long, and its kind of not a real game, its not going to stick in anyone's mind come tournament and seeding time. (If your goal is to make a Top 25 early in the season, for whatever reason? Then yeah, it'll probably matter.)
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I also don’t think Louisville or Syracuse use an exhibition as a measuring stick, they’re more just getting guys some quasi-gamespeed reps and making sure nobody gets hurt. They aren’t trying to prove anything to themselves or anyone else. We would like to be in the same boat and sometimes we are, but considering how last season went off the rails we’re probably more in a situation where we have something to prove at least to ourselves.

The early season is also way more important for a team like us than it is for a power conference team. We don’t have the luxury of treating OOC as an extended preseason like they do. So it’s important for us to be closer to top gear in early November than it is for a Louisville or Syracuse.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game tonight as I will be at my daughter's semifinal playoff field hockey game. But I wanted to remind everyone that Shaidzon is open & has 3$ Buffalo Czech pours on Wednesdays.
3 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It happens.

Exhibitions matter for many reasons. Wins or Losses isn't one of them, in my opinion. These games are usually less intense and competitive than the regular season. They provide an opportunity for players to gain confidence and our fans to see the team after missing basketball all offseason.

It allows our guys to develop chemistry and our staff to evaluate the performance of new and returning players before the season begins.

It's helpful to play against different competition and shake off some rust. Archie can fool around with various lineups, which should help our staff adjust and plan strategies for the regular season. My guess is Archie will try a few different defensive/offensive schemes to see what works best for the team.

It's also beneficial to give new players more minutes to adjust to the speed and strength of college basketball, which is significantly different from what they're used to, even when playing against a D2 program.

Let's say we lose by 2, but Connor and Ray Allen Jr played 20 minutes that would have gone to House and Luis in a normal game. Does that really matter? I don't think it does.. We will likely play every man on our roster tonight. That's not gonna happen in a real game. Of course, anyone who's an athlete or a coach wants to win, so it's only human that it'll affect us. I still get upset when I lose in a pickup game on Thursday nights at Lifetime Athletic. But as a fanbase, I don't think we should put too much stock into what happens.

Monday is our first real test and I can't wait!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

spookydog wrote: 5 months ago Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game tonight as I will be at my daughter's semifinal playoff field hockey game. But I wanted to remind everyone that Shaidzon is open & has 3$ Buffalo Czech pours on Wednesdays.
Thanks for the reminder!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Me thinks, If the scoreboard is lit, refs present, game uniforms, etc, the game win/loss matters, especially coming off last year, and at the end of season, when asked Archie responded where he goes next, he said “recruiting……..”
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

To be fair, Louisville's opponent, Kentucky Wesleyan, is an 8 time D2 national champion and their size is D1 level.

Two 6'10 guys at 230 lbs

A 6'7 and 6'8 at 230

A number of guards, forwards and wings all between 6'3 and 6'6 several well over 200 pounds.

3 D1 transfers.

We will NOT be playing a team anywhere near their level tonight especially in the size and athleticism department.

They have one guy at 6'8 220 and John Kelly former UMass walk on at 6'7 210. A 6'5 215 forward, they have another guy playing forward at 6'4 215.

Then a slew of guards under 200 pounds.

They are a team picked to finish 8th in their conference for a reason.

Maybe we build a brick house tonight and they have some dudes go off from three....but this is looking more like a lay up drill than anything.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Vivid seats tells me you can get court side seats for $77 for this game 😂
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

spookydog wrote: 5 months ago Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game tonight as I will be at my daughter's semifinal playoff field hockey game. But I wanted to remind everyone that Shaidzon is open & has 3$ Buffalo Czech pours on Wednesdays.
$3 Shaidzon @ brewery.

$14 Shaidzon mile and a half down the road at the RC.

I'd just stay at the brewery tonight.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

$3 Shaidzon @ brewery.

Not worth it unless you like the Buffalo Czech...
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
$3 Shaidzon @ brewery.

i like beer
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
$3 Shaidzon @ brewery.

Any $3 draft beer in 2023 is worth it
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Get this ya'll

There are $3 Gansetts on draft at a place called "Duke's" here in Nashville Tennessee 😊

Lots of Gansett in Nash
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Funny cas I had a Gansett at Rodney Scott’s over the weekend in Charleston !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s getting close to 7pm

Let’s goooooooooooooooo
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

No real surprises here...

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Audio link is here in case anyone is looking for it.

https://rhody.leanplayer.com/
0 x