A10 Secret Scrimmages and Charity Games

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Secret Scrimmages and Charity Games

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago
Backroads wrote: 6 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago I think we got some kind of word last year
I remember hearing we got blown out by Yale
Ah yes

Which we learned within a day I think

We get next to zero social media activity and we get zero secret scrimmage reports.
Maybe they just didn’t keep score and worked on different situations, defensive and offensive sets, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
Backroads wrote: 6 months ago

I remember hearing we got blown out by Yale
Ah yes

We get next to zero social media activity and we get zero secret scrimmage reports.
Maybe they just didn’t keep score and worked on different situations, defensive and offensive sets, etc.
That may be possible, but I'm not sure if anyone does that. Seems like everyone tries to make it like a normal game and then use a box score as a reference point.

I just think no one with the power to go find out has gone and found out anything about it. Bill Koch will get around to it eventually I guess.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ah yes

That may be possible, but I'm not sure if anyone does that. Seems like everyone tries to make it like a normal game and then use a box score as a reference point.

I just think no one with the power to go find out has gone and found out anything about it. Bill Koch will get around to it eventually I guess.
It must have been a double secret scrimmage. Even the NSA and the CIA can’t get double secret scrimmage scores and stats.

I heard they are played in the dark - with only the coaches and players using night vision - so no one else can see what’s happening.

:lol:

ETA: They are also known as a Sargent Schultz scimmage…I know nothing! I see nothing!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ah yes

Fordham and Iona literally tied, so it’s not a normal game at all.

Another scrimmage was three periods, forgot what two teams.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We're the only school that takes the term 'secret scrimmage' literally.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm guessing we got smoked.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

how good is Harvard supposed to be? I guessing this scrimmage would have told us a lot more about this team, no matter what the score, win, lose or draw, than the open blue/white scrimmage did.

I'm also guessing that the Harvard coach is at least as secretive as Archie is, if not more so, and no matter what the result, he doesn't want details getting out, and Archie is happy to oblige.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Harvard on the preseason poll is expected to finish 6th out of 8. So, basically they suck.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Skiram7777 wrote: 6 months ago Every other team’s Scrimmages scores from yesterday have been posted on a Twitter account except URI.
How about Harvard's?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
Skiram7777 wrote: 6 months ago Every other team’s Scrimmages scores from yesterday have been posted on a Twitter account except URI.
How about Harvard's?
Well, after we see if Harvard posted scores, can we verify the one time post from skiram that every other team has posted scrimmage scores?
2 x
Skiram7777
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Skiram7777 »

Not my 1st time post. Been a season ticket holder since 1971. I look at the Board every day but don’t post a lot because of comments like yours. Obviously Harvard hasn’t posted since they were our opponent. I was referring to every other scrimmage.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ohio State defeated Dayton today 78-70 in front of 13,407 at UD Arena.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Ohio State defeated Dayton today 78-70 in front of 13,407 at UD Arena.
The Providence kid (Enoch Cheeks) looked fantastic.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne beat Ohio University 72-59
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
How about Harvard's?
Well, after we see if Harvard posted scores, can we verify the one time post from skiram that every other team has posted scrimmage scores?
If you’re being serious, it’s true lol pretty much every other scrimmage score has been reported
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So did we punk Harvard ??
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe it wasn’t a true scrimmage, and rather a combined practice.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Maybe it wasn’t a true scrimmage, and rather a combined practice.
Well I guess no one got hurt
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Ohio State defeated Dayton today 78-70 in front of 13,407 at UD Arena.
I was able to watch some of that game. They looked pretty even with OSU for the most part. Was at work so it was hard to tell who anyone was because they had no names on their jerseys and the navy numbers on red are hard to read lol. It maybe looked like they jacked up too many threes. Definitely a good sign that they compare athletically with a Big Ten team.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You have to give the people of the Dayton area credit. They come out in huge numbers for sporting events. 13,407 for an exhibition game for the Flyers and every other game they play. Good crowds for the NCAA Tournament play in games between teams few really care about. Even their Single A baseball team draws big. The Dayton Dragons averaged 7,885 per game this past season. That was second in all of minor league baseball beating out all but the Triple A Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

According to the ‘20 Census, the Dayton area (metro and proper - or surrounding area) has a population of approximately 1 mil.

Still, given the number of entertainment opportunities in the area that Dayton Flyers mbb has to compete with, their turnout for games continues to impress, imho.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Dayton has also had 2 losing seasons in the past 25 years, and even in those two years, they were 14-17. Short of a power conference team like Duke and UNC and Kansas, you'll probably be hard pressed to find a better "holds its value" ticket than them. They're pretty much always good, even if they haven't been to the tournament recently.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago Dayton has also had 2 losing seasons in the past 25 years, and even in those two years, they were 14-17. Short of a power conference team like Duke and UNC and Kansas, you'll probably be hard pressed to find a better "holds its value" ticket than them. They're pretty much always good, even if they haven't been to the tournament recently.
Yeah it's kind of a perfect situation for them.

They're in a mid sized city where they don't have to compete against anything else in town. Good sized school and alumni base. Their football is irrelevant so its fans only have to care about basketball and they can still root for Ohio State in football or whatever. Has sustained just enough success in its history for a fanbase to have the interest it has considering the other factors at play.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ll_seasons

If you look at their history you see they have never had any long periods without some success. They were actually pretty damn great from 48-49 through the 70's. NCAA runner up and an NIT championship and a ton of appearances in both tournaments. They had an elite 8 run in the 80's.

They were pretty awful from the 90-91 season through 96-97. Since then they've never really fallen off. Two losing seasons, most years in the NIT or the NCAA tournament.

We'd have similar fan support with that resume.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago According to the ‘20 Census, the Dayton area (metro and proper - or surrounding area) has a population of approximately 1 mil.

Still, given the number of entertainment opportunities in the area that Dayton Flyers mbb has to compete with, their turnout for games continues to impress, imho.
Who do they have to compete with? They don’t have any other sports (college or professional) within an hour drive.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's not often you read "given the many entertainment options in Dayton, Ohio...." Just giving you a hard time JD!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago It's not often you read "given the many entertainment options in Dayton, Ohio...." Just giving you a hard time JD!
Yea, one of the bigger reasons Dayton draws so well, along with winning, is because there ISN’T much to do around there
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago According to the ‘20 Census, the Dayton area (metro and proper - or surrounding area) has a population of approximately 1 mil.

Who do they have to compete with? They don’t have any other sports (college or professional) within an hour drive.
Good point. But, I am lumping in sports with entertainment and not just exclusively looking at sports.

Therefore, I am figuring that with a population of approx 1mil in the area, there are likely a bevy of entertainment options to attract dollars. The more people (densely populated area) then, I figure, the more entertainment type businesses being attracted to the area to attempt to grab dollars from all those consumers.

That’s my theory, anyway. I have never been to the area so I don’t know for sure. I could very well be wrong in my theory.

Also, I am not sure how many Dayton grads live in the area of Dayton metro and proper. That is pertinent and I didn’t consider that. I just went with the raw pop number.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago It's not often you read "given the many entertainment options in Dayton, Ohio...." Just giving you a hard time JD!
Yea, one of the bigger reasons Dayton draws so well, along with winning, is because there ISN’T much to do around there
Dayton is only a 1 hour drive to both Cincinnati and Columbus and just two hours from Indianapolis. It is not as remote with nothing going on around it as some here are making it out to be.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
Dayton is only a 1 hour drive to both Cincinnati and Columbus and just two hours from Indianapolis. It is not as remote with nothing going on around it as some here are making it out to be.
1 hour is a pretty steep drive to be a competing draw. Then add in the fact both of those “competing” options are both football with Bengals and Ohio St, the basketball program mostly is a stand alone attraction
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Aside from its proximity to Cincy and Columbus, Dayton is not a bad place having been there many times.
The Oregon District is a very popular college area for bars and restaurants.
Dayton is the home of the Wright Brothers and NCR Corp (NCR Country Club is a fantastic golf course).
Also the Wright-Paterson Air Force base is one of the largest and most important in the country.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago

Aside from its proximity to Cincy and Columbus, Dayton is not a bad place having been there many times.
Dayton is the home of the Wright Brothers and NCR Corp (NCR Country Club is a fantastic golf course).
Also the Wright-Paterson Air Force base is one of the largest and most important in the country.
Dayton is not the home of NCR. NCR sold off most all their Dayton properties back in 2009 and moved to suburban Atlanta. NCR then moved again to Midtown Atlanta very close to Georgia Tech so they could recruit and hire Technical Talent. They built a new Building in Midtown. The new NCR World Headquarters Building is adjacent to Georgia Tech.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago

Dayton is not the home of NCR. NCR sold off most all their Dayton properties back in 2009 and moved to suburban Atlanta. NCR then moved again to Midtown Atlanta very close to Georgia Tech so they could recruit and hire Technical Talent. They built a new Building in Midtown. The new NCR World Headquarters Building is adjacent to Georgia Tech.
Okay, thanks for the update/correction.
More important, the golf course is still there. :)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You sure about Dayton?

With a crime rate of 47 per one thousand residents, Dayton has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 21.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Look at us getting all off topic

I blame Archie for holding the scrimmage results hostage
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Hartford Courant Dan Hurley comments on the Secret Scrimmage of UCONN vs Virginia

I read recently how PC wants to have a number of easy games (cupcakes) leading into the Big East Schedule because the BE Schedule is so difficult. Hurley is not scheduling that way.

Even though UCONN/Hurley did not release the Box Score he takes the opportunity to discuss the team's performance in the Secret Scrimmage.

Dan Hurley evaluates UConn men’s ‘secret scrimmage’ vs. Virginia as season approaches quickly

By JOE ARRUDA | jarruda@courant.com | Hartford Courant
PUBLISHED: October 23, 2023 at 11:28 a.m. | UPDATED: October 23, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.

AVON — Dan Hurley, like he usually does as the weather starts getting colder, had a familiar nervous energy at the Golf Club of Avon on Monday for the annual Connecticut Basketball Coaches Breakfast, hosted by ESPN’s Seth Greenberg to benefit the Jimmy V Foundation.
For Hurley the event, like First Night and the team’s not-so-secret weekend trip, was another reminder that the start of the season – and UConn’s incredibly tough nonconference schedule – is only a few weeks away.
The Huskies got an early look at how they stack up, even without star center Donovan Clingan, when they played Virginia in a closed-door, “secret scrimmage,” on Saturday. While keeping scores and statistics close to the vest, Hurley said redshirt sophomore forward Alex Karaban and freshman guard Stephon Castle stood out.
He also noted it was a “really positive performance” from center Samson Johnson, who thrived in a scrimmage with Virginia a year ago. Johnson is expected to fill a critical role alongside Clingan to form a new version of the one-two punch that Clingan and Adama Sanogo provided last season.
“When you’re hoping to have what we had last year in terms of two guys at that position that don’t give the other team a break, two centers that can really maintain an incredibly high level for you, we feel really good about that,” Hurley said. “I think (Johnson) has greater potential to play with Donovan maybe than we had with Adama and Donovan because of the movement and athleticism.”
But, as to be expected, Hurley had mixed feelings about the team’s performance as a whole.
“I think the type of shots we took in the game were reminiscent of the type of shots that we want to take. I was happy with the way that the ball moved for us, we were very high-assist,” he said. “But our (ball security) was not where we need it to be, particularly with our perimeter people, which was disappointing.”
The Huskies will have to figure things out quickly before a four-week stretch of high-major games starting in mid-November with Indiana and Texas or Louisville in the Empire Classic, then preseason No. 1 Kansas, No. 19 North Carolina and No. 11 Gonzaga in December.
“Listen, our nonconference schedule is a monster. No one else in the country is playing five games like that, none at home, all mutual or away, so it’s a great challenge,” Hurley said. “We really wanted those type of games, we couldn’t get them our first couple of years here because the brand was down and we were coming off of a couple tough years that we were part of. So we had to build the program back up to get nonconference opportunities like this. We’re happy to play fun, exciting, difficult games.”

The main concerns now are leadership and bench depth, though Hurley expects the team, with its center healthy and some chemistry built through the first few games, to be ready for those early tests.
“Hopefully by that point (Clingan’s) game is sharp and he’s feeling great,” he said. “The freshmen, these guys are gonna have to grow up quickly. And then obviously when Donovan is back and healthy and a guy like Samson is coming off the bench for us, that’s gonna help.”
Monday’s event, an opportunity to raise money for cancer research, annually brings together all of the men’s Division I head coaches in Connecticut for some light-hearted banter as they preview the season.
Hurley also received the state’s Coach of the Year Award, his first.
“We’ve got some great coaches and some great programs in the state. You get a chance to see other coaches who are also two weeks out and also have a little bit of that nervous energy to them,” Hurley said. “It’s good to see other people that are experiencing the same feelings you are as you’re approaching tip-off.
“The Jimmy V Foundation and the good it does in cancer research, all the efforts that Seth makes for this breakfast is a really cool thing that really gears up Connecticut and the state for college basketball coming soon.”
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago

You sure about Dayton?

With a crime rate of 47 per one thousand residents, Dayton has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 21.
I probably didn't hang in those areas.
But being born in Newark, NJ and having lived in Detroit, I guess I am oblivious to the crime rates.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

On UConn UVA secret scrimmage. Guessing same thing happened with URI/Harvard, Archie and Tommy Amaker agreed not to release the results.

1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhode Island legend Anthony Harris is in action right now against George Mason on ESPN+
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Rhode Island legend Anthony Harris is in action right now against George Mason on ESPN+
30-27 George Mason leads at half

Harris with 11 points at half, 3 rebounds
Hit a 3P, a 2P and 6-10 FTs
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Rhode Island legend Anthony Harris is in action right now against George Mason on ESPN+
30-27 George Mason leads at half

Harris with 11 points at half, 3 rebounds
Hit a 3P, a 2P and 6-10 FTs
Harris hit a 3P and 2-2 FTs in 2nd half for 5 points

Total game Anthony Harris with 16 points, 8-12 FTs

George Mason 64
St Thomas 52
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Outside of ish. Ant Harris would have been our 2nd best player last year judging by the game tonight haha.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sevegny7, I think you are correct. And, IF ( big if) Freeman had his head on straight, that would have been a real good backcourt last season.

Unfortunately, our front court was bad and the backcourt talent would have had to work its butt off every single game to overcome the lack of front court talent. Perhaps that backcourt could have lifted us to a ceiling of 18 wins? We will never know. But, it would have been more fun for us fans - that’s for sure.

(Shrugs) It was what it was. We are on to the future. Go Rhody!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I totally agree. Would have been slightly more entertaining and slight less horrible hahah.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Why can't we get players like that? #ripbunky
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 6 months ago Outside of ish. Ant Harris would have been our 2nd best player last year judging by the game tonight haha.
Yep. He didn't play at UNC for no reason.

We all hate excuses, but obviously if we had everyone we thought we'd have all year including Ant Harris it's a much better season.

Add Ant, healthy Carey all year, an agreeable Bray and a healthy Bilau we might have a winning record.

I think we are in a better position for the future right now though. Might be better that we blew up last years roster for this one.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Box Score from George Mason vs St Thomas

I watched the entire game
Not impressed by George Mason. Would be surprised if GMU finished as high as 10th as A10 Coaches voted preseason. Kim English didn't leave GMU with much upon his departure for PC

Anthony Harris
36 minutes
3-13 FG, 2-6 3FG, 8-12 FTs for 16 points
5 rebounds
4 assists
5 turnovers
1 steals
3 shots blocked by GMU

Was not overly impressed by Harris. Shooting proficiency not great, 5 turnovers. He had 3 shots blocked on drives inside that were forced and going nowhere. 2-6 on 3Ps with 1 airball. Similar to Freeman last year where he forced some bad shots inside that got easily blocked. 2-
Harris had 1 steal but played decent defense and he played hard.
St Thomas doesn't have much in offensive weapons except for their #5 Milton Mathews who hit 6-12 3Ps on his way to game hi 21 points.
Expected more from Harris based on his 21 page recruiting KB page and the hype. Still think we would have lost 1st round to LaSalle in A10 1st round had Harris been eligible. Not really a big difference maker imho.
It's just 1 game of course. Will be interesting to see if he builds a case to transfer up to D1 next season from this NAIA St Thomas team.

IMG_0394.jpeg
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Box Score from George Mason vs St Thomas

Not impressed by George Mason. Would be surprised if GMU finished as high as 10th as A10 Coaches voted preseason. Kim English didn't leave GMU with much upon his departure for PC

Anthony Harris
36 minutes
5 rebounds
4 assists
5 turnovers
1 steals
3 shots blocked by GMU

Was not overly impressed by Harris. Shooting proficiency not great, 5 turnovers. He had 3 shots blocked on drives inside that were forced and going nowhere. 2-6 on 3Ps with 1 airball. Similar to Freeman last year where he forced some bad shots inside that got easily blocked. 2-
St Thomas doesn't have much in offensive weapons except for their #5 Milton Mathews who hit 6-12 3Ps on his way to game hi 21 points.
Expected more from Harris based on his 21 page recruiting KB page and the hype. Still think we would have lost 1st round to LaSalle in A10 1st round had Harris been eligible. Not really a big difference maker imho.
It's just 1 game of course. Will be interesting to see if he builds a case to transfer up to D1 next season from this NAIA St Thomas team.

IMG_0394.jpeg
Yeah, who knows what will be in Ant's future.
He never seemed to take academics that seriously, probably just not his thing.

As far as GM, we should finish ahead of them, especially if Jalen Haynes is denied a waiver.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago Why can't we get players like that? #ripbunky
I know it's a bit off topic but speaking of "why can't we get players like that," did anyone else see Tyler Kolek is an AP preseason first teamer?
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Anthony Harris
36 minutes
5 rebounds
4 assists
5 turnovers
1 steals
3 shots blocked by GMU

IMG_0394.jpeg
You kind of left out his most impressive box score stat - Ten drawn fouls. That's a pretty crazy amount, considering that from the box score it looks like there was one other guy with a pulse on their roster. If he's eligible, he's moving up.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago

Anthony Harris
36 minutes
5 rebounds
4 assists
5 turnovers
1 steals
3 shots blocked by GMU

IMG_0394.jpeg
You kind of left out his most impressive box score stat - Ten drawn fouls. That's a pretty crazy amount, considering that from the box score it looks like there was one other guy with a pulse on their roster. If he's eligible, he's moving up.
Yeah, that's what I was most impressed with as well. He has a knack for getting to the line and drawing fouls. I thought he looked good in the pick-and-roll as well. He played solid defense. He did a great job setting up his teammates many times, but they just didn't finish most of the opportunities, or they got fouled and went to the line. Sometimes, they were completely out of position. His shot didn't look great, but I never expected him to be much of a shooter. He's one of those guards who would look better with more talented scorers around him. Besides Matthews, his teammates were mostly struggling. I don't think there was anyone else on the team who could create like he did. He seemed like the only point guard they had and his coach had him play all the minutes he could handle.

He definitely would have been one of our better players last year from what I saw, but our team was horrible, so that's not saying much. Like last night, he probably would have had issues with our frontcourt, as it was so bad. Anyways, he's never coming here, so I wish him luck and can't wait to see our new guys!

Check out some highlights here. Also, I would be shocked if we're not better than George Mason. They did not look good.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING