Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Unread post by Dino611 »

Placeholder for the scrimmage later
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Homecoming Hoopfest - MBB Scrimmage

Unread post by adam914 »

Posted this in the recruiting thread to, but probably belongs here as well.

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago Posted this in the recruiting thread to, but probably belongs here as well.

Let’s gooooooooooo
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pretty excited about House and Brown after hearing these comments from Archie. Sure sounds more and more like House may be the go to guy on the offensive end.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from those at the event tonight.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No Carothers banner! The Ryan Center has never looked so beautiful!
8 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago No Carothers banner! The Ryan Center has never looked so beautiful!
Wow, I never thought they'd actually do it.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago
Hopefully Archie is on to something here - he is a smart basketball guy so it would not surprise me. Lots of P5 teams poaching lower D1 kids in the transfer portal it would not surprise me if there are a lot of kids in JUCO that may normally be a P5 target available.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find Adam, sounds very promising
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 6 months ago
Hopefully Archie is on to something here - he is a smart basketball guy so it would not surprise me. Lots of P5 teams poaching lower D1 kids in the transfer portal it would not surprise me if there are a lot of kids in JUCO that may normally be a P5 target available.
👍🏼

Zig when they zag.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RIFan wrote: 6 months ago
I'm not there, is he really impressive?
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 6 months ago
VERY
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I couldn't make it due to work, but I got a few texts from fans.. Apparently, David Green is an absolute stud and looks awesome. Of course, he's probably not going to play this year. That's our luck!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That was clear in the 1 practice I saw. He’s a dude.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago
VERY
DAMN. sucks that he'll have to sit.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FREE DAVID GREEN
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

VERY
Is that certain?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago

VERY
Is that certain?
I think so.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

wow, 4-9 on 3s for Green.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 6 months ago wow, 4-9 on 3s for Green.
Decent stats all around, but Green and House really stand out.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 6 months ago wow, 4-9 on 3s for Green.
Decent stats all around, but Green and House really stand out.
Yup, and I know it's just a scrimmage, but that one last year pretty accurately foreshadowed the season. Just terrible shooting numbers. This box score looks much better lol.
Last edited by rhodyram22 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We made more 3s tonight than all of last season.

If Green can play, I doubt Weston sees the floor that much.

He didn’t look into it tonight at all, wouldn’t be shocked if he gets minimal minutes even if Green can’t play.

It is so obvious just from this scrimmage how much more talent there is this season. The team won’t be nearly as tough to watch.

Also, Fuchs looks like an FBS middle linebacker. Big big dude.
5 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Those who were there: any defensive standouts?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good intel from everyone. Much appreciated!

Keep it coming, please.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh gosh , please let David Green play !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Liked; in no order, Cam, House, Fourmena, and Green. Was hoping to see marked step up from Weston and Stewart, didn’t see it. Fuchs I liked. The rest were meh. We are gonna need few from the meh level to step up. If I had to pick one that impressed me the most. Fourmena. If we have Green eligible, different team.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyram22
ARD

Also shoutout to Kortright, 8 assists. Tell me the last time we've had a guy that dishes the ball that well?!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

EZ Buckets passed the audition on the PA mic.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Brown and Fuchs are MAJOR upgrades compared to last years abomination of big men
2 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

For those who were not here, I know the box score is available, but I am going to give some intel into what I saw.
Team White
Jaden House- Pure bucket getter. Scored 26 on 10-13 shooting and got to anywhere he wanted to around the paint while consistently hitting contested layups over the big men from the other side. Very twitchy athleticism and looks to be a very good pickup for Archie and Co.

Always Wright- Wasn't looking to score most possesions but looked to be a true backup point guard for Luis as he played 30 out of the 32 miniutes and did not turn the ball over once. At times looked a little overpowered defensively but that will come with expirience.

Jeremy Foumena- Jeremy played well tonight. Shot 6-13 with most shots coming from inside the paint. Uses a mix of power and footwork along with a soft touch to score the ball. Despite being the biggest guy out there he only had 3 rebounds which is a little worrisome, but we will see.

Rory Stewart- Only had five points on the day and still looked a little overmatched when it came to pace of play. Did have 6 total rebounds which is a plus but look for him to be one of the backups for Fuchs.

Brandon Weston- I was disappointed in his performance tonight. I am not trying to overreact, and I know it was just a scrimmage, but he looked very sloppy with 3 turnovers and shot 1-5 from the field. Looking for improvement.

David Green- Him and House were the two best players on the floor tonight and it wasn't even close. He had 26 point and 7 rebounds on 10-17 from the field and used a mix of shooting and quick first step to produce offensively. If he plays, he will be a tough matchup for opponents because he is quick with a big frame.

Team Blue

Zek Montgomery- Zek didn't have the three-ball going tonight but played a well-balanced game all around. Looked great defensively and chipped in with 15 points along with 5 total rebounds. I was also impressed with his sneaky athleticism around the rim.

Luis Kortright- FINALLY! The true point guard we have been wanting and needing. Had 10 points along with 8 assists tonight and handled pressure really well. Looked liek a true captain out there while also having 4 rebounds.

Cam Estevez- I was actually very impressed with Cams play tonight. Had 11 points while shooting 5-9 from the field and has as much burst as almost anyone on this team. chipped in with 4 rebounds as well and looks to be a good pickup.

Tyson Brown- I would say that Tyson looked the best out of all the big men tonight. Had 14 points, 7 rebounds Aswell as 4 assists and three blocked shots. His length around the rim is going to be crucial this season. Looked to have a very soft touch has he made a 6–8-foot post hook multiple times.

David Fuchs- David also had a good game tonight and it looks like him Jeremy and Tyson Brown will be the main three bigs. Had 11 points and 7 rebounds while shooting 5-10 from the field. Only concern is that he looked a little undersized down low especially when matched up on foumena.

Connor dubsky-I thought Connor also played great. Contributed 9 points in limited minutes off the bench compared to the rest of guys but shot 2-4 from deep and looked to have that stroke that everybody had been talking about.
Last edited by Mattrams94 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
14 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Hope this helps!
4 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Mattrams94 wrote: 6 months ago For those who were not here, I knwo the box score is available but I am going to give some intel into what I saw.
Team White
Jaden House- Pure bucket getter. Scored 26 on 10-13 and Got to anywhere he wanted to around the paint and was consistently hitting contested layups over the big men from the other side. Very twitchy athleticism and looks to be a very good pickup for Archie and Co.

Always Wright- Wasn't looking to score most possesions but looked to be a true backup point guard for Luis as he played 30 out of the 32 miniutes and did not turn the ball over once. At times looked a little overpowered defensively but that will come with expirience.

Jeremy Foumena- Jeremy played well tonight. Shot 6-13 with most shots coming from inside the paint. Uses a mix of power and footwork along with a soft touch to score the ball. Despite being the biggest guy out there he only had 3 rebounds which is a little worrisome, but we will see.

Rory Stewart- Only had five points on the day and still looked a little overmatched when it came to pace of play. Did have 6 total rebounds which is a plus but look for him to be one of the backups for fuchs.

Brandon Weston- I was disappointed in his performance tonight. I am not trying to overreact, and I know it was just a scrimmage, but he looked very sloppy with 3 turnovers and shot 1-5 from the field. Looking for improvement.

David Green- Him and house were the two best players on the floor tonight and it wasn't even close. He had 26 point and 7 rebounds on 10-17 from the field and used a mix of shooting and quick first step to produce offensively. If he plays, he will be a tough matchup for opponents because he is quick with a big frame.

Team Blue

Zek Montgomery- Zek didn't have the three-ball going tonight but played a well-balanced game all around. Looked great defensively and chipped in with 15 points along with 5 total rebounds. I was also impressed with his sneaky athleticism around the rim.

Luis Kortright- FINALLY! The true point guard we have been wanting and needing. Had 10 points along with 8 assists tonight and handled pressure really well. Looked liek a true captain out there while also having 4 rebounds.

Cam Estevez- I was actually very impressed with Cams play tonight. Had 11 points while shooting 5-9 from the field and has as much burst as almost anyone on this team. chipped in with 4 rebounds as well and looks to be a good pickup.

Tyson Brown- I would say that Tyson looked the best out of all the big men tonight. Had 14 points, 7 rebounds Aswell as 4 assists and three blocked shots. His length around the rim is going to be crucial this season. Looked to have a very soft touch has he made a 6–8-foot post hook multiple times.

David Fuchs- David also had a good game tonight and it looks like him Jeremy and Tyson Brown will be the main three bigs. Had 11 points and 7 rebounds while shooting 5-10 from the field. Only concern is that he looked a little undersized down low especially when matched up on foumena.

Connor dubsky-I thought Connor also played great. Contributed 9 points in limited minutes off the bench compared to the rest of guys but shot 2-4 from deep and looked to have that stroke that everybody had been talking about.
Really appreciate the insight.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mattrams94 wrote: 6 months ago For those who were not here, I knwo the box score is available but I am going to give some intel into what I saw.
Team White
Jaden House- Pure bucket getter. Scored 26 on 10-13 and Got to anywhere he wanted to around the paint and was consistently hitting contested layups over the big men from the other side. Very twitchy athleticism and looks to be a very good pickup for Archie and Co.

Rory Stewart- Only had five points on the day and still looked a little overmatched when it came to pace of play. Did have 6 total rebounds which is a plus but look for him to be one of the backups for fuchs.

David Green- Him and house were the two best players on the floor tonight and it wasn't even close. He had 26 point and 7 rebounds on 10-17 from the field and used a mix of shooting and quick first step to produce offensively. If he plays, he will be a tough matchup for opponents because he is quick with a big frame.

Team Blue

Thanks Matt, nice to get a great recap for those not able to attend
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Obviously more talent than last year especially in the front court. 3 Big men that can score.Right there an obvious improvement over last year.The entertainment value appears to have risen appreciably. After seeing the scrimmage I have put on my rose colored glasses. Green and House especially impressive offensively. Who knows how it will transfer to real games but it appears we are heading in the right direction.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ironically, Weston was the best player at last year's scrimmage, I still expect good things from him. Glad to hear most were impressed with this years roster.
2 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

First off, really appreciate the reports from everyone that was there!

Very exciting to hear all of this hype about Green. Obviously it sucks he likely won't play this year, but even for next season its exciting. Really makes me wonder how he wasn't able to get on the floor for more than 15 minutes a game at Hofstra and La. Tech. I assume he would have eventually played more last season if he hadn't gotten hurt. Anyway, I'm pumped he's here!
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Ironically, Weston was the best player at last year's scrimmage, I still expect good things from him. Glad to hear most were impressed with this years roster.
Great point. It was the Weston and Freeman show at last year's scrimmage.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am disappointed about Weston but, I won’t over-react to the intra-squad scrimmage. Also, I am expecting more out of Rory, as well.

Other than that, it sounds like we really upgraded in the front court and are solid in the back court.

If Green can play, if we are tough on D, if we keep turnovers to a minimum and improve our shooting numbers over last season, we can be playing meaningful A10 games as the season winds down and be a tough out in the A10 tourney.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ish was arguably the worst player in the scrimmage last year I think he shot like 1-10. I never put too much stock into scrimmages. That includes overhyping people.

Except for David Green of course.. He's the best shooter in college basketball :lol:
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Very impressed with Green. Good all around game from shooting the 3 to driving to the hoop. House goes really hard to the basket and uses his body well. He'll either score or draw a lot of fouls. Both Brown and Foumena are better offensively than I expected. Both have some nice post moves and Brown has a nice baby hook. Luis ran the team well setting up some easy hoops. Zeke also takes it strong to the hoop, although he put his head down a couple of times. Have to be careful with offensive fouls. Always ran his team well. He has a good handle and is a nice passer. Not much of a scorer at this point,but he's really fast. I really liked Cam. He's very smooth and athletic. I think he'll be in the rotation right from the start. Connor has a nice looking shot and a decent floor game,but I think he'll probably sit for a while. Fuchs did some nice things,but I question his hands. He fumbled a couple of passes. He'll be good, but he's not one of the best freshmen in the country. Disappointed in Brandon. Hopefully he just had an off night. Rory didn't do much. I think he's buried on the bench this year. Bilau didn't play but he participated in full court drills before the scrimmage and was running well. He'll add to the depth for the bigs when he's ready to play. Students didn't show, even with free food. If they don't come for free food, they're not coming to games. A lot of people, including myself, were grabbing the chicken sandwiches because there were tons of them there for students. Lots still on the table at the end of the night. Great to be back in the RC. Looking forward to the season.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Funny that Green was our least exciting portal pick up

Off to a promising start!

Give him the damn waiver!
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Very impressed with Green. Good all around game from shooting the 3 to driving to the hoop. House goes really hard to the basket and uses his body well. He'll either score or draw a lot of fouls. Both Brown and Foumena are better offensively than I expected. Both have some nice post moves and Brown has a nice baby hook. Luis ran the team well setting up some easy hoops. Zeke also takes it strong to the hoop, although he put his head down a couple of times. Have to be careful with offensive fouls. Always ran his team well. He has a good handle and is a nice passer. Not much of a scorer at this point,but he's really fast. I really liked Cam. He's very smooth and athletic. I think he'll be in the rotation right from the start. Connor has a nice looking shot and a decent floor game,but I think he'll probably sit for a while. Fuchs did some nice things,but I question his hands. He fumbled a couple of passes. He'll be good, but he's not one of the best freshmen in the country. Disappointed in Brandon. Hopefully he just had an off night. Rory didn't do much. I think he's buried on the bench this year. Bilau didn't play but he participated in full court drills before the scrimmage and was running well. He'll add to the depth for the bigs when he's ready to play. Students didn't show, even with free food. If they don't come for free food, they're not coming to games. A lot of people, including myself, were grabbing the chicken sandwiches because there were tons of them there for students. Lots still on the table at the end of the night. Great to be back in the RC. Looking forward to the season.
Oh come on, it's a Friday night!! Doesn't matter if they're giving out some chicken sandwiches, most students aren't going to a SCRIMMAGE when they can party or chill with friends.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 6 months ago Ish was arguably the worst player in the scrimmage last year I think he shot like 1-10. I never put too much stock into scrimmages. That includes overhyping people.

Except for David Green of course.. He's the best shooter in college basketball :lol:
David Green has been incredibly streaky in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if he puts it all together.

Didn't sound like Zek flashed that much. Wouldn't be surprised if he is a guy that shows a lot more than he showed in the scrimmage
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Under sweats last no play last year, I was concerned he as another Tertsea type. Clearly high on him going into this season. Program looking up for me with upgrade in talent
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I was there last night. I would agree with many of the commments. In my opinion, they looked considerably better. Expecting a competitive team this year that might surprise us. Shooting and athleticism was vastly improved. Foumena, Fuchs, and Brown are far superior to our big men from last year. Adding in Bilau later on..we are deep in the frontcourt. Hoping they look this good against real competition!
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Aside from a lot of extra chicken sandwiches, what was the fan:
/student turnout like?
0 x