Grasso - Bryant

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Grasso - Bryant

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
ramster wrote: 6 months ago
reef wrote: 6 months ago Funny how he tries to spin it like the car was hit while parked @ Blackies ! Like who’s going to believe that
He also says later in the 30 minutes that he wasn't even driving the damaged car, his wife was. He changed his story from earlier in the same 30 minute tape from saying he had driven the car. The policeman picked up on that and further questioned him. What a mess. Grasso, his wife and their lawyer should have kept as quiet as possible. Just dug their hole deeper.
I'm no fan, but making the tape public kinda seems like piling on/unnecessary
I agree. Unnecessary embarrassment for him and his family/friends.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He also says later in the 30 minutes that he wasn't even driving the damaged car, his wife was. He changed his story from earlier in the same 30 minute tape from saying he had driven the car. The policeman picked up on that and further questioned him. What a mess. Grasso, his wife and their lawyer should have kept as quiet as possible. Just dug their hole deeper.
As is addressed in the video, the police recordings are public records as a matter of policy - anyone can request the recording and do whatever they want with it. When a notable person is the subject of such a video, of course news outlets are going to request and share it. That’s their job, and there isn’t anything the police can do about it - they couldn’t refuse to release the recording even if they wanted to.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote: 6 months ago

As is addressed in the video, the police recordings are public records as a matter of policy - anyone can request the recording and do whatever they want with it. When a notable person is the subject of such a video, of course news outlets are going to request and share it. That’s their job, and there isn’t anything the police can do about it - they couldn’t refuse to release the recording even if they wanted to.
Not to mention it’s a good way keep police accountable for their actions.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am not blaming thee police. The media did not need to release this. Sure they released it, but whoever went and requested it should also be made public.

There was no need to release all of the video either. But whoever requested the video did.

I am no Grasso fan, never have been. Sitting behind the Bryant bench when Martin got slammed to the floor and watching the reaction of the Bryant players and bench was bad stuff. I was against hiring him to replace David Cox (actually was against Cox too) when some would have accepted Grasso. But this video is unfortunate, nobody wins with the release of this tape except internet media that wants clicks to their account. It's sad, embarrassing to Grasso, his wife, his lawyer, his family and friends and to Bryant University, even the State of Rhode Island as the video makes its way down the viral world path.

Sad situation, I feel sorry for him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

:idea:

I am not blaming thee police. The media did not need to release this. Sure they released it, but whoever went and requested it should also be made public.

There was no need to release all of the video either. But whoever requested the video did.

I am no Grasso fan, never have been. Sitting behind the Bryant bench when Martin got slammed to the floor and watching the reaction of the Bryant players and bench was bad stuff. I was against hiring him to replace David Cox (actually was against Cox too) when some would have accepted Grasso. But this video is unfortunate, nobody wins with the release of this tape except internet media that wants clicks to their account. It's sad, embarrassing to Grasso, his wife, his lawyer, his family and friends and to Bryant University, even the State of Rhode Island as the video makes its way down the viral world path.

Embarrassing for the whole state of Rhode Island? In what world? Come on dude, no need to exaggerate.

Majority of people have no idea what state Bryant is even in.

Also, zero sympathy for him from me, can’t feel sorry for the guy when he alone has put himself in multiple bad situations that will probably cost him his job.

Nobody to blame but himself.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago :idea:

Embarrassing for the whole state of Rhode Island? In what world? Come on dude, no need to exaggerate.

Also, zero sympathy for him from me, can’t feel sorry for the guy when he alone has put himself in multiple bad situations that will probably cost him his job.

Wouldn't expect you to have sympathy for him or his family. Not surprising at all.

I have no use for Bryant in any sport either, never have.

Main point for me is how unfortunate it is in today's world that a 30 minute video spreads virally. It accomplishes nothing but embarrassment, and makes money for the guy/girl who gets the video from the police department then distributes it for profitability from internet clicks.

Sad situation.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wouldn't expect you to have sympathy for him or his family. Not surprising at all.

Main point for me is how unfortunate it is in today's world that a 30 minute video spreads virally. It accomplishes nothing but embarrassment.

Sad situation.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth.

Please point out where I said I have no sympathy for his family.

You are correct about me not having sympathy for someone who did this all to himself though.

Don’t see how or why someone would feel sorry the guy who chose to make two incredibly stupid decisions (allegedly) to jeopardize his career and family.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

Main point for me is how unfortunate it is in today's world that a 30 minute video spreads virally. It accomplishes nothing but embarrassment.

Sad situation.

Now you’re putting words in my mouth.

Please point out where I said I have no sympathy for his family.

You are correct about me not having sympathy for someone who did this all to himself though.

Don’t see how or why someone would feel sorry the guy who chose to make two incredibly stupid decisions (allegedly) to jeopardize his career and family.
I repeat. I feel sorry for him and his family that the 30 minute police video gets obtained by a public person and then gets distributed virally. It's sad. It's Unfortunate. Embarrassing. All because of a car accident.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

It really seems like he had a psychotic break.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Like with the PC gun (alleged) case we are quick to jump all over our rival athletic programs.

Other than the unfortunate video we still don’t know why Bryant MBB hoops coach is benched.

Wild Wild West is this new WWW world…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Did anyone die in this accident? Let me guess, Smithfield is going to charge him with leaving the scene of an accident over a fender bender.

That has to be it, else they simply would have had him come down the station to issue a statement and collected photos of his car, and gone through his lawyer and his insurance company.

Then, the viral release of the video is the cherry on top. I really cannot stand what the internet has become. If it's inventors could have envisioned this back in 1995-96, maybe they would have reconsidered.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago Did anyone die in this accident? Let me guess, Smithfield is going to charge him with leaving the scene of an accident over a fender bender.

That has to be it, else they simply would have had him come down the station to issue a statement and collected photos of his car, and gone through his lawyer and his insurance company.

Then, the viral release of the video is the cherry on top. I really cannot stand what the internet has become. If it's inventors could have envisioned this back in 1995-96, maybe they would have reconsidered.
Not sure about you, but me and my friends said this would happen with the interweb back in the 90's. It's great for commercial commerce. But people spewing whatever they want? Yeah. It's a dumpster fire.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah we were cautious too, but this is even worse than my cynical mind imagined.

Again, I see 50 people a day in the high speed lane on the highway or on route 2 with their head staring at their lap, texting on their phone, putting everyone around them in mortal danger, you might have thought they were all in the Tesla self driving automobiles, but we’re going to prosecute the sideswipe fender bender. And then try it in the court of public opinion.

Priorities.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago Yeah we were cautious too, but this is even worse than my cynical mind imagined.

Again, I see 50 people a day in the high speed lane on the highway or on route 2 with their head staring at their lap, texting on their phone, putting everyone around them in mortal danger, you might have thought they were all in the Tesla self driving automobiles, but we’re going to prosecute the sideswipe fender bender. And then try it in the court of public opinion.

Priorities.
I mean you can’t sideswipe someone and drive away. Pretty cut and dry.

Can’t see how you’d be mad at the police for following up and arresting someone in a hit a run.
5 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we know what the incident was a few days before the hit and run ??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 6 months ago Do we know what the incident was a few days before the hit and run ??
I'm going to go with, "More Than 'an'' Incident" for $1200, Ken
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Can’t see how you’d be mad at the police for following up and arresting someone in a hit a run.
Without seeing at least the video footage I’m not sure how you can draw any conclusions here. There is not a lot of damage on that car. People swipe and bump into our cars at work all of the time and even with camera footage they’ll just report the license plate to the person whose car is hit. They don’t go after the offender like this. Spanish Inquisition in the person’s driveway
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago

Without seeing at least the video footage I’m not sure how you can draw any conclusions here. There is not a lot of damage on that car. People swipe and bump into our cars at work all of the time and even with camera footage they’ll just report the license plate to the person whose car is hit. They don’t go after the offender like this. Spanish Inquisition in the person’s driveway
There’s damage/ streak marks from the back of the vehicle all the way to the side mirror.

Quite a bit of damage in my opinion. You’re making it sound like there’s a little paint missing on the back bumper.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

glass half full vs glass half empty

If that is the worst car damage you have ever seen in your lifetime, you've truly lived a blessed life. call the insurance company and assess damage, instead of just spit balling it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

15, just so you know, 14 years ago, in the Yale University hospital parking garage, a guy drove over the hood of my car. He had a Ford 150 with the lift package and massive tires and I had a tiny VW Golf at the time. He stopped just shy of the windshield and then wanted to give me $4,000 cash so that I wouldn't get the insurance company involved. The car needed to be totalled. I don't recall trying to filet the guy with the police, and he actually put my life in jeopardy, so cry me a river about some paint scrape on the side of someone's car. Call insurance and get professionals to assess the damage. It's hardly a situation for the Smithfield police to play "Bad Boys" in the guy's driveway. Serve him his papers and move along.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago 15, just so you know, 14 years ago, in the Yale University hospital parking garage, a guy drove over the hood of my car. He had a Ford 150 with the lift package and massive tires and I had a tiny VW Golf at the time. He stopped just shy of the windshield and then wanted to give me $4,000 cash so that I wouldn't get the insurance company involved. The car needed to be totalled. I don't recall trying to filet the guy with the police, and he actually put my life in jeopardy, so cry me a river about some paint scrape on the side of someone's car. Call insurance and get professionals to assess the damage. It's hardly a situation for the Smithfield police to play "Bad Boys" in the guy's driveway. Serve him his papers and move along.
Don’t see what your situation has to do with Grasso’s but I’m glad you didn’t suffer any injuries.

Grasso (allegedly) sideswiped a car and then left. Hit and run.

You can’t do that, thus why he was booked and charged with a misdemeanor.
5 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 6 months ago Do we know what the incident was a few days before the hit and run ??
What incident? Where was it reported that there was an incident a few days prior?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What incident? Where was it reported that there was an incident a few days prior?
I assumed the reference was to his suspension...which doesn't seem to have a specific incident tied to it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I assumed the reference was to his suspension...which doesn't seem to have a specific incident tied to it
Right.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago Grasso (allegedly) sideswiped a car and then left. Hit and run.

When you say "booked", was he arrested?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago Grasso (allegedly) sideswiped a car and then left. Hit and run.

When you say "booked", was he arrested?
Yes, he surrendered and turned himself in.

He is being arraigned Tuesday on a misdemeanor charge.

Is your brain working dude?
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

There is no need to be like that, it was an honest question, 15.

I didn't watch to the end of the video. I was asking, was he arrested in the video. or at all.

Again, the reason why I really cannot stand the modern internet. There is no need for that, like the guy last week who called me stupid and dumb in the same post. If this were Yahoo News, and I was among politically charged anonymous maniacs on both sides, I would expect that kind of behavior.

But this is supposed to be, a FRIENDLY, LOCAL message board for URI sports. Why do I need to put up with that? I'm not doing that to anyone else.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought someone said something happened a few days before the hit and run
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

F that. play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
2 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/bl ... share-link

My guess is he settled out of court with the woman so she dropped the allegation.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear to only be a matter of time before Bryant concludes its investigation regarding his on campus allegations and parts ways with Grasso.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/bl ... share-link

My guess is he settled out of court with the woman so she dropped the allegation.
Most likely, plus, prosecutors dismiss cases like this all the time if restitution is paid. This is the type of misdemeanor that people don't go to jail for, unless there are other, more serious charges. No reason to really proceed with a criminal case if the end result is "just" going to be him doing a small amount of community service or taking counseling courses of some sort. He also might have promised to do this in return for the dismissal; that's a common occurrence for misdemeanors like this as well. That would have been noted in the court file, most likely.

(And, here is where I would note that WPRI seemingly did zero effort on this story, straight down to calling the police station about it. The proper thing to do is to go to the courthouse and pull the file there. There is pretty much zero documentation at the police station after the initial arrest and those filed reports.)
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m still curious about what happened at Bryant that resulted in his suspension.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

With how much winning tends to result in indiscretions being looked over... and acknowledging Grasso won a lot there esp for Bryant standards....just take a leap and assume it's pretty pretty bad.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago I’m still curious about what happened at Bryant that resulted in his suspension.
There's a decent chance we'll never know, that we'll only have the gossip. I can't imagine it will be in Bryant's best interest for it to come out what happened under their watch and unlike a public school there's no way to compel them to produce documents that explain the situation. And unless Grasso decides to write some kind of tell all book or something it's not in his best interest to publicize what he did.

Most likely scenario is that Bryant at some point in the future announces Grasso's dismissal with a non-specific statement and Grasso gets a basketball related position mostly out of the public eye
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago I’m still curious about what happened at Bryant that resulted in his suspension.
There's a decent chance we'll never know, that we'll only have the gossip. I can't imagine it will be in Bryant's best interest for it to come out what happened under their watch and unlike a public school there's no way to compel them to produce documents that explain the situation. And unless Grasso decides to write some kind of tell all book or something it's not in his best interest to publicize what he did.

Most likely scenario is that Bryant at some point in the future announces Grasso's dismissal with a non-specific statement and Grasso gets a basketball related position mostly out of the public eye
Multiple posters here know, including myself. I’ve been told by numerous people the same scenario of what happened, so where’s there’s smoke there’s fire.

It’s serious and messed up enough, in my opinion, to not post it until the local media comes out with it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’ve seen the rumors and gossip, but didn’t want to repeat it without seeing a reliable report on it.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Is it normal in these type of coach suspensions that someone is specifically restricted from campus?

This was in a WLNE piece:

“On September 27, Bryant University placed head basketball coach Jared Grasso on a leave of absence from coaching duties. He remains suspended from all university-related duties and restricted from campus while Bryant continues its external investigation.”

Link:
https://www.abc6.com/bryant-university- ... t-and-run/
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago Is it normal in these type of coach suspensions that someone is specifically restricted from campus?

This was in a WLNE pirce:

“On September 27, Bryant University placed head basketball coach Jared Grasso on a leave of absence from coaching duties. He remains suspended from all university-related duties and restricted from campus while Bryant continues its external investigation.”

Link:
For what (allegedly) occurred, he shouldn't be allowed on in my opinion
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago Is it normal in these type of coach suspensions that someone is specifically restricted from campus?

This was in a WLNE pirce:

Link:
RF1,
It is not normal
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My guess he was given choice: quit or the shit will hit the fan.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You would need a big fan
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NEW: Grasso Resigns as Basketball Coach at Bryant

Monday, November 13, 2023
GoLocalProv News Team
The Jared Grasso era at Bryant University is now officially over. He is no longer the men's basketball coach.
Just before the season began the University placed Grasso on leave without any explanation. Then days later he was arrested by North Smithfield Police.
Last week, those charges were dropped by the Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha.

On Monday morning, Grasso, in a social media post, wrote:

Dear Supporters and Friends,
It is with mixed emotions that I announce my resignation as the Head Men’s Basketball Coach at Bryant University. My role as a father and husband is everything to me. The rigors of a coach’s lifestyle and 3 young children can make that extremely challenging. My mental and physical health must come first at this time.
I am excited for my children’s practices, recitals, and Christmas shopping. In addition to celebrating winter holidays with my family for the first time in my career.
For the last 25 years, I have chased this game relentlessly with a results-oriented mindset. My obsession and discipline with work, competition and winning championships is in my blood. But for now my mental health and surgically repaired back need to be tended to.
Impacting and changing lives through the game of basketball is my mission. I have been blessed to pay forward the lessons from my late father, Fred Grasso. He was the toughest and wisest man I ever knew. His lessons have stood the test of time.
I have been blessed to coach in 10 post-season tournaments in the past 13 years. The culmination being our 2022 NCAA Tournament team. Which was a special group who overcame true “adversity” and learned about life along the way. I love you guys.
This year's group has the strongest character and most winning experience of any we have ever assembled. Continue to love and play for each other. The best is yet to come. Go win games in the Big Dance!
The last 5 1/2 years were Special. We LAUGHED and THOUGHT a lot. And we shed more than a few TEARS along the way. Just like the legendary coach Jim Valvano told us to 30 years ago.
My father was the most influential and impactful person in my life. He gave me a basketball when I was 3 years old and I’m still holding that ball 40 years later. As he told me when I started in this amazing business, “There is no better job than GETTING TO coach this game you love everyday.”
Basketball is a CULTURE. Unless you grow up with it or come to completely understand it you will never truly appreciate it. But if you a do…No one will ever change the way feel about it.

Yours In Hoops,

Jared Grasso

https://www.golocalprov.com
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Since he is from NY, could a head coaching gig at Iona or St John's be in his future. Neither school apparently have any regard for ethics or character.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago Since he is from NY, could a head coaching gig at Iona or St John's be in his future. Neither school apparently have any regard for ethics or character.
Yeah, may as well get in a cheap shot at a hof-er that would have saved this program from a half decade of suck...
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

0% chance the real story comes out here. If it’s what the rumors are, would also reflect poorly on Bryant. They probably want it under wraps even more than Grasso does
1 x