Grasso - Bryant

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Grasso - Bryant

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

what's going on up in Smithfield?? I figured someone here would have posted up on it already.

What's Rhody Vault got to say?

Someone with the various social media accounts and platforms, hop on that.
1 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Grasso - Bryant

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I mean, it's most likely one of three things right?

1. Health related for him or close family member.
2. He's created a hostile environment.
3. Some kind of sexual misconduct.

If it was NCAA related we'd have heard something about a report already, right? It does feel odd that this was announced a week ago and nothing else has come out
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There was this report that it was a university decision, though that doesn't seem to be picked up anywhere else:

https://burnerball.com/sources-bryants- ... f-absence/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago I mean, it's most likely one of three things right?

1. Health related for him or close family member.
2. He's created a hostile environment.
3. Some kind of sexual misconduct.

If it was NCAA related we'd have heard something about a report already, right? It does feel odd that this was announced a week ago and nothing else has come out
Based on the twitter gossip, from folks in the know, it's definitely not #1. And it's something significant.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's confusing though, it says "The incident took place on Sunday, October 1 — two days after Grasso went on leave." So this is a separate incident and has nothing to do with why he was put on leave?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Confirmed it is a separate incident. Things not going well for Grasso at the moment!

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is looking more like Grasso will never coach another game at Bryant.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DUI maybe?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don’t know him. Not a fan of his coaching style. Nevertheless I feel sad for him.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Reference KMac info, ouch. When it rains, it pours……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

An update from Trilly Donovan who brings up the mental health of Grasso. Claims an official says it is unlikely he will ever coach another game at Bryant.

The Latest on Jared Grasso
https://burnerball.com/the-latest-on-jared-grasso/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was from Channel 10 Saturday night

Bryant head men's basketball coach charged in connection to car accident
by NBC 10 NEWS
Sat, October 7th 2023, 10:59 PM EDT

Bryant University's head men’s basketball coach Jared Grasso is facing a charge related to an accident in North Smithfield last Sunday, according to a police report obtained by NBC 10 News.

Grasso, who is currently on leave from his coaching duties at Bryant, was charged with failure to stop for an accident resulting in damage to a vehicle, a misdemeaner.
According to the police report, Grasso allegedly sideswiped a vehicle on Route 146 South by the West Acres Interchange on the morning of October 1.

The passenger of the car struck told police they were able to get a license plate number from the vehicle that hit them. Police traced it to a car registered in Grasso's name.

Police spoke with Grasso at his home on October 2, in which an officer saw damage to his car, a 2020 white Buick.

According to the report, Grasso told police that he had been at a restaurant the previous day and found his car in that condition upon leaving.

Upon speaking with his attorney, Grasso agreed to turn himself in on October 3. Grasso was booked and released.

There hasn't been any explanation from the school or the team as to why Grasso took a leave of absence and if or when he'd be back.

NBC 10 News has reached out to Bryant University for comment on the arrest but has not heard back.

Grasso is due in District Court on October 24.

Told police he saw the damage to his car the previous day that was done at a restaurant.
Like the police won't match the paint from his car to the car he hit and left the scene of the accident.

His attorney told him to turn himself in. Hope he told him to stop talking too.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's a pretty shitty alibi. I mean, if he found his car in that condition the day before there would be some record of him speaking to either the restaurant, police, and insurance about the incident or all three
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago That's a pretty shitty alibi. I mean, if he found his car in that condition the day before there would be some record of him speaking to either the restaurant, police, and insurance about the incident or all three
I think "turned himself in after speaking with his attorney" tells all you need to know
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ea3d126bd21e84fa4fe2e1981b5641302a2146f2a3305c1cc9e827f0c2b4fa15_1.jpg
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago ea3d126bd21e84fa4fe2e1981b5641302a2146f2a3305c1cc9e827f0c2b4fa15_1.jpg
Ron White ...very funny dude. On stage, poured himself a little scotch, then went to add water, stopped, looked at the audience and said, "just kidding, don't want to ruin it"
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago That's a pretty shitty alibi. I mean, if he found his car in that condition the day before there would be some record of him speaking to either the restaurant, police, and insurance about the incident or all three
Listen I don’t think anyone has ever accused Grasso of being extremely smart. He has always moved through the world with the grace and perceptible intellect of a character with a three-episode arc in the Sopranos.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It just keeps getting weirder with Grasso

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/brya ... -an-attack
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All he wanted was a Pepsi. And they wouldn't give it to him. Just one Pepsi. And they wouldn't give it to him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Police: Bryant's Grasso initially denied highway crash
https://www.valleybreeze.com/news/polic ... 38627.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Vault has always had a strong affection for Bryant and particularly Grasso.
He just posted his interview with Jarod Grasso Sept 26

Then he proceeds to question/criticize the local media for not having details of Grasso's suspension by Bryant. Maybe the local media is honoring the personal issues that Grasso is experiencing (up until the accident become public)?

IMG_0233.png
IMG_0242.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Read the most recent comments yesterday from the 247Friars Board.........

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 18/?page=6
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Read the most recent comments yesterday from the 247Friars Board.........

I don't know what I had in mind as to being the reason for the situation in Smithfield but pounding coeds and a coke stash in his office blows away anything I envisioned.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago
ramster wrote: 6 months ago Read the most recent comments yesterday from the 247Friars Board.........

I don't know what I had in mind as to being the reason for the situation in Smithfield but pounding coeds and a coke stash in his office blows away anything I envisioned.
Why?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So I assumed banging coeds was the main issue, or at least probably the main issue. And his behavior and words when the cop showed up for the hit and run accident, if the report is true, made me think he was possibly coked up. So honestly not a surprise if this is true. That said, there's a lot of telephone here. An anonymous poster on a Friar message board heard this from an unnamed northeast D1 hoops coach? Not exactly solid sourcing
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

Why?
we can all come up with names and go on and on about coaches with various recruiting violations, DUIs, turning a blind eye to hazing, poor management of support staff, ect. that all lead to their dismissal.

I very well maybe wrong but banging coeds and having a stash of blow in your desk might be uncharted territory for a D1 coach in a major 4 sport.

I can't think of another.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why?
we can all come up with names and go on and on about coaches with various recruiting violations, DUIs, turning a blind eye to hazing, poor management of support staff, ect. that all lead to their dismissal.

I very well maybe wrong but banging coeds and having a stash of blow in your desk might be uncharted territory for a D1 coach in a major 4 sport.

And remember the accident and police interaction all came days AFTER Bryant suspended him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago So I assumed banging coeds was the main issue, or at least probably the main issue. And his behavior and words when the cop showed up for the hit and run accident, if the report is true, made me think he was possibly coked up. So honestly not a surprise if this is true. That said, there's a lot of telephone here. An anonymous poster on a Friar message board heard this from an unnamed northeast D1 hoops coach? Not exactly solid sourcing
I was told this over a week ago, FWIW. Didn't want to jump the gun and post in case it was all false.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Probably a good idea, but starting to see more smoke around this fire
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And if all of this is true you have to wonder:

A. How long has this been going on? and
B. How known was this in AD circles?

If it's been going on for a while and it's been a known thing then that would explain why he hasn't seemed to be a bigger candidate for some openings. What a shitty way to throw away a career
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Martell Jr. is a home run hire in comparison.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The police body-cam video taken outside his home has been released. It does not help his image. I also can't imagine Bryant is pleased that he was wearing apparel with their name while he was exhibiting this strange behavior.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/police- ... ct-19-2023
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Why?

The Bobby Petrino motorcycle incident at Arkansas:

"In April 2012, Petrino was involved in a motorcycle crash on Arkansas Highway 16 near the city of Crosses. He was riding with former Arkansas All-SEC volleyball player Jessica Dorrell, whom he had hired on March 28 as student-athlete development coordinator for the football program after she served as a fundraiser in the Razorback Foundation. Petrino initially said he was alone on the motorcycle. However, on April 6, just minutes before a police report was to be released showing Dorrell was also aboard, Petrino admitted that Dorrell was not only a passenger, but that he had been conducting an adulterous relationship with her. Long placed Petrino on indefinite paid administrative leave while he investigated the situation.

According to The Athletic, shortly after the accident, Larry Henry of KFSM-TV got a tip from "a lock-down, high-up source" at the university that Petrino was not really alone on the motorcycle. This prompted Henry to collar Petrino after a press conference held after Petrino's release from the hospital and ask him if he was sure he was alone during the accident. Two days after the press conference, Henry learned the police report was about to be released, and that Dorrell was indeed the other passenger. The police investigation revealed that Petrino and Dorrell refused offers to call 911, then flagged down a passing car who drove them to a Fayetteville diner. A state trooper who served as Petrino's game-day police detail drove a badly injured Petrino to the hospital.[20]

On April 10, Long announced that Petrino had been fired. During Long's investigation, it was discovered that Petrino and Dorrell's relationship was an open secret in the football office. Petrino frequently sent Dorrell gifts, including a previously undisclosed $20,000 cash gift as a Christmas present. Dorrell used the money to help buy a new car. It was also revealed that Dorrell may have received preferential treatment in her hiring on the football staff, as Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not disclosed and Petrino was on the hiring committee. Long determined that Petrino's attempts to mislead both him and the public about the accident and his relationship with Dorrell were grounds to fire Petrino for cause.[2][25][26][20] In his formal termination letter to Petrino, Long said that he would have never allowed Dorrell's hiring had Petrino disclosed his relationship with Dorrell, and concluded that this and other lies on Petrino's part were "contrary to the character and responsibilities" of his post, and "negatively and adversely affected the reputation of the University of Arkansas within the State of Arkansas and on a national level."[27] Long also determined that the $20,000 payment could expose Arkansas to a sexual harassment suit if Petrino were retained.[28]

In the course of hiring Dorrell, according to Sports Illustrated, Petrino also circumvented university affirmative action guidelines requiring job postings to be listed for 30 days before interviews could begin. He claimed that he needed an assistant to help him with recruiting right away, allowing him to interview and hire Dorrell 16 days after the job was posted. Dorrell was also the only candidate with no previous experience in a football program, and the only candidate without a master's degree.[29]"

That's just one off the top of my head. I'm sure there have been others that have been public and I'm sure there have been more than a bunch that never became public, just a coach being told to go away.

Shit, wasn't Jerry D infamous for trying to pick up college girls at Casey's?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ah Casey’s, Miss that place.
1 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

Why?

The Bobby Petrino motorcycle incident at Arkansas:

"In April 2012, Petrino was involved in a motorcycle crash on Arkansas Highway 16 near the city of Crosses. He was riding with former Arkansas All-SEC volleyball player Jessica Dorrell, whom he had hired on March 28 as student-athlete development coordinator for the football program after she served as a fundraiser in the Razorback Foundation. Petrino initially said he was alone on the motorcycle. However, on April 6, just minutes before a police report was to be released showing Dorrell was also aboard, Petrino admitted that Dorrell was not only a passenger, but that he had been conducting an adulterous relationship with her. Long placed Petrino on indefinite paid administrative leave while he investigated the situation.

According to The Athletic, shortly after the accident, Larry Henry of KFSM-TV got a tip from "a lock-down, high-up source" at the university that Petrino was not really alone on the motorcycle. This prompted Henry to collar Petrino after a press conference held after Petrino's release from the hospital and ask him if he was sure he was alone during the accident. Two days after the press conference, Henry learned the police report was about to be released, and that Dorrell was indeed the other passenger. The police investigation revealed that Petrino and Dorrell refused offers to call 911, then flagged down a passing car who drove them to a Fayetteville diner. A state trooper who served as Petrino's game-day police detail drove a badly injured Petrino to the hospital.[20]

On April 10, Long announced that Petrino had been fired. During Long's investigation, it was discovered that Petrino and Dorrell's relationship was an open secret in the football office. Petrino frequently sent Dorrell gifts, including a previously undisclosed $20,000 cash gift as a Christmas present. Dorrell used the money to help buy a new car. It was also revealed that Dorrell may have received preferential treatment in her hiring on the football staff, as Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not disclosed and Petrino was on the hiring committee. Long determined that Petrino's attempts to mislead both him and the public about the accident and his relationship with Dorrell were grounds to fire Petrino for cause.[2][25][26][20] In his formal termination letter to Petrino, Long said that he would have never allowed Dorrell's hiring had Petrino disclosed his relationship with Dorrell, and concluded that this and other lies on Petrino's part were "contrary to the character and responsibilities" of his post, and "negatively and adversely affected the reputation of the University of Arkansas within the State of Arkansas and on a national level."[27] Long also determined that the $20,000 payment could expose Arkansas to a sexual harassment suit if Petrino were retained.[28]

In the course of hiring Dorrell, according to Sports Illustrated, Petrino also circumvented university affirmative action guidelines requiring job postings to be listed for 30 days before interviews could begin. He claimed that he needed an assistant to help him with recruiting right away, allowing him to interview and hire Dorrell 16 days after the job was posted. Dorrell was also the only candidate with no previous experience in a football program, and the only candidate without a master's degree.[29]"

That's just one off the top of my head. I'm sure there have been others that have been public and I'm sure there have been more than a bunch that never became public, just a coach being told to go away.

Shit, wasn't Jerry D infamous for trying to pick up college girls at Casey's?
weren’t we all?
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The police body cam of Grasso, the only thing missing was him saying; “do you know who I am….”
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago The police body cam of Grasso, the only thing missing was him saying; “do you know who I am….”
I think that's why he was wearing the Bryant shirt...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If he was in a bathrobe it would have been a scene straight out of a mob movie.

And this isn't even the real issue for him- when that eventually comes out who knows.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why didn’t his wife come out earlier to calm the situation??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m not a fan of the release of this video. To what end? He is probably gone without it.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If what I heard is true that video is the least of his worries.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 6 months ago I’m not a fan of the release of this video. To what end? He is probably gone without it.
Not sure what you mean Ramulous. Are you saying the release of this video makes if more possible that Grasso could remain at Bryant?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think he was saying it is unnecessary and gratuitous. But even though I sort of agree it’s hard to argue it isn’t newsworthy.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago If what I heard is true that video is the least of his worries.
The video is great to watch. Never seen anything quite like that. What led to the suspension at Bryant will likely leak out. From what I've heard I just shake my head that this is a guy who could have ended up coaching at URI. Makes me think about my observations of his behavior and that of his team when I sat behind the Bryant bench when they played at URI a few years ago. What a joke.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Funny how he tries to spin it like the car was hit while parked @ Blackies ! Like who’s going to believe that
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

There was zero chance this guy was coaching URI.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 6 months ago There was zero chance this guy was coaching URI.
There was zero chance.
But that was not 100% known by all at the time.
And not all were against the possibility of his hiring here at the time.
Grasso has for years been revered as a Coach on the fast track, quickly rising up the ranks.
As I watch the 30 minute Police Camera tape I'm actually saddened by the entire episode. Sad for Grasso himself, his family, his friends, his school and the players/staff he recruited and managed. Hope all turns out well for them.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 6 months ago Funny how he tries to spin it like the car was hit while parked @ Blackies ! Like who’s going to believe that
He also says later in the 30 minutes that he wasn't even driving the damaged car, his wife was. He changed his story from earlier in the same 30 minute tape from saying he had driven the car. The policeman picked up on that and further questioned him. What a mess. Grasso, his wife and their lawyer should have kept as quiet as possible. Just dug their hole deeper.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
reef wrote: 6 months ago Funny how he tries to spin it like the car was hit while parked @ Blackies ! Like who’s going to believe that
He also says later in the 30 minutes that he wasn't even driving the damaged car, his wife was. He changed his story from earlier in the same 30 minute tape from saying he had driven the car. The policeman picked up on that and further questioned him. What a mess. Grasso, his wife and their lawyer should have kept as quiet as possible. Just dug their hole deeper.
I'm no fan, but making the tape public kinda seems like piling on/unnecessary
1 x