2023 URI Day of Giving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2023 URI Day of Giving

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Today is URI's Day of Giving and so far we've raised $357,377 University wide:

https://alumniportal.uri.edu/s/1638/03- ... &pgid=3116

Among athletics highlights, women's basketball has raised the most of any sport.

Women's basketball: $33,219
Women's rowing: $26,032
Football: $17,309
Softball: $10,143
Men's basketball: $9621
Baseball: $8488
Lacrosse: $8455
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: 2023 URI Day of Giving

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

how much has Boss raised?
0 x
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tammi does a tremendous job promoting her program.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ve given to the mens program recently but it won’t count for todays total. I’m sure that’s common.
0 x
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago I’ve given to the mens program recently but it won’t count for todays total. I’m sure that’s common.
Same here. We made our donation at the Coaches Show.

Just donated to Women's BB. Tammi is killing it!!
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

they did a mailer a few weeks ago, maybe people donated through that that. numbers seem light. athletics goal was 1 million, last year was over 800k
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seems odd to have sent a mailer just a few days before the day of giving.

Numbers will probably be lighter than what they would have been had the mailer not been sent.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Tammi does a tremendous job promoting her program.
She just gets it in ways that not every coach does. Softball coach gets it too. Whether you like it or not sometimes you need to create your own sizzle, especially at this level
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It is sad how our once proud soccer team has fallen off map. I believe that is a case of a coach getting too comfortable.
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago Seems odd to have sent a mailer just a few days before the day of giving.

Numbers will probably be lighter than what they would have been had the mailer not been sent.
it was probably worded wrongly on my part, it emphasizes the day of giving but gave an option of donating earlier. i was just concerned about the early results and the lack of traffic today on this issue on this board.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Tammi has done an amazing job promoting WBB and the Day of Giving. She's building something special, from the ground up!
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago It is sad how our once proud soccer team has fallen off map. I believe that is a case of a coach getting too comfortable.
not sure how this relates to 'URI's day of giving' but I'd be interested to hear your further analysis on it.
0 x
:lol:
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Obviously, I struck a nerve. Truth is, the program has gone from elite A10 status to bottom of the pack. The easiest way to lose interest and financial support for a program is not winning. And for those who really understand and appreciate the game, there are some brutal losses. That being said, I will retract my comment about the coach and offer my apology. I don't really know enough about the program other than the game results. I would love to see us return to our glory days.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago Obviously, I struck a nerve. Truth is, the program has gone from elite A10 status to bottom of the pack. The easiest way to lose interest and financial support for a program is not winning. And for those who really understand and appreciate the game, there are some brutal losses. That being said, I will retract my comment about the coach and offer my apology. I don't really know enough about the program other than the game results. I would love to see us return to our glory days.
I think it was more that it struck as a "sir, this is a Wendy's" kind of comment, since this is the thread about the Day of Giving. RhowdyRam bumped up the men's soccer thread just now though, which seems like a better place to ask about that specific program.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Women's basketball raised $316,069, that's remarkable! Almost 1 out of every 3 dollars donated to athletics was for women's basketball
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Women's basketball raised $316,069, that's remarkable! Almost 1 out of every 3 dollars donated to athletics was for women's basketball
Success breeds success. If the the men exhibit a similar turnaround I’m certain the donations will follow.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Women's basketball raised $316,069, that's remarkable! Almost 1 out of every 3 dollars donated to athletics was for women's basketball
Success breeds success. If the the men exhibit a similar turnaround I’m certain the donations will follow.
https://twitter.com/TReiss32

Go to Tammi's Twitter account and look at how she orchestrates the WBB Day of Giving Strategy

She has been emphasizing this important day every year....... and each year gets better than the previous.

Energy, creativity, enthusiasm, Amazing job with recognition of individual donors, involvement of staff and team members, hard work, leveraging social media.........

It's not just past results and high expectations of future team performance that is generating these results.

Tammi shows genuine appreciation!!!!!! Tons of enthusiasm. It's no coincidence WBB Fundraising results set a very high bar for all other teams. Tammi also is very adept at letting donors and fans know what the donations are specifically used for - very important imho.
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I follow the day of giving pretty closely as I find it fascinating to see the numbers change and where the money goes. Volley ball up to around 9 PM or so was leading all of the women's athletics as they received a very large gift of around $50,000 from someone to catapult them past the basketball team. At that time, Men's basketball was higher than the women by about $1,000. They then received a gift of well over $200,000, more like $250,000, which I find amazing. No idea who is this giving that, but that is a hell of a donation. But that is what put them way over the top, they only had about 20 more donors then the Men's team but a 250k donation is spectacular. Similar thing happened to football, they received over a six figure donation from one or two people around 8 as they were actually behind men's basketball. Overall, this has become a very successful fundraising campaign for the university the last few years.

Tammi does do a great job and she has that it factor and it looks like she really enjoys reaching out to people and being part of the community. I agree the men's team lack of success the last couple of years does not help, but I would also argue they are far behind the women as far as marketing the program through social media and other methods. That is part of the reason as well.
2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Correction to the above - Softball, not volley ball finished second and received a 50k or so donation. Here are the final results for anyone interested in seeing them.

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago
https://twitter.com/TReiss32

Go to Tammi's Twitter account and look at how she orchestrates the WBB Day of Giving Strategy

She has been emphasizing this important day every year....... and each year gets better than the previous.

Energy, creativity, enthusiasm, Amazing job with recognition of individual donors, involvement of staff and team members, hard work, leveraging social media.........

It's not just past results and high expectations of future team performance that is generating these results.

Tammi shows genuine appreciation!!!!!! Tons of enthusiasm. It's no coincidence WBB Fundraising results set a very high bar for all other teams. Tammi also is very adept at letting donors and fans know what the donations are specifically used for - very important imho.
No question. I follow Tammi and wish Archie was as active.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 6 months ago Correction to the above - Softball, not volley ball finished second and received a 50k or so donation. Here are the final results for anyone interested in seeing them.

In Summary:

$000's Dollars
316.0-Womens Basketball
153.8-Football
72.4-Softball
68.9-Mens Basketball
46.9-Womens Rowing
28.9-Mens Golf
25.6-Mens Soccer
23.2-Mens Track & Field
18.8-Baseball
14.0-Womens Lacrosse
12.1-Womens Track & Field
10.5-Womens Swim & Dive
9.3-Womens Soccer
5.2-Womens Volleyball
2.7-Womens Tennis

# of Donors
275-Womens Rowing
144-Womens Basketball
132-Football
118-Mens Basketball
111-Softball
95-Womens Lacrosse
76-Womens Soccer
72-Mens Track & Field
70-Mens Soccer
68-Baseball
65-Womens Swim & Dive
59-Womens Track & Field
37-Womens Volleyball
22-Mens Golf
13-Womens Tennis
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago Obviously, I struck a nerve. Truth is, the program has gone from elite A10 status to bottom of the pack. The easiest way to lose interest and financial support for a program is not winning. And for those who really understand and appreciate the game, there are some brutal losses. That being said, I will retract my comment about the coach and offer my apology. I don't really know enough about the program other than the game results. I would love to see us return to our glory days.
I think it was more that it struck as a "sir, this is a Wendy's" kind of comment, since this is the thread about the Day of Giving. RhowdyRam bumped up the men's soccer thread just now though, which seems like a better place to ask about that specific program.
Not quite sure what a “this is Wendy’s” comment means.
Does it have anything to do with douche?
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

There are some on this board that can post most anything and never get challenged. There are others that are overly scrutinized because they don't drink every ounce of the Kool Aid. I definitely fall into the second group. The donation list was there for all to see and comment. Apparently, the preferred method is to go to the respective board and post the comment. Oh well, live and learn.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 6 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago
Not quite sure what a “this is Wendy’s” comment means.
Does it have anything to do with douche?
The 'this is Wendy's comment" I assume to mean if you want to comment about a specific program then you should go to that page?

It's a weird comment because it appears it was ok for things to be said about the programs that were doing well with the fundraising such as WBB and softball, but I guess if you say something about a program not doing well with the fundraising it should go unsaid or put on a different page.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago There are some on this board that can post most anything and never get challenged. There are others that are overly scrutinized because they don't drink every ounce of the Kool Aid. I definitely fall into the second group. The donation list was there for all to see and comment. Apparently, the preferred method is to go to the respective board and post the comment. Oh well, live and learn.
I don't think there was anything wrong said.

The fundraising numbers are out there for all to see.

WBB has put a lot of energy, enthusiasm, creativity, innovation and excitement into the fundraising process and not only on the Day of Giving. In addition Tammi does a wonderful job of explaining what the money will be used for and what the money was used for in the past. This makes people feel good about their donations and makes them want to give more.

Would seem like other programs would want to emulate what WBB has been and continues to do.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago There are some on this board that can post most anything and never get challenged. There are others that are overly scrutinized because they don't drink every ounce of the Kool Aid. I definitely fall into the second group. The donation list was there for all to see and comment. Apparently, the preferred method is to go to the respective board and post the comment. Oh well, live and learn.
I don't think there was anything wrong said.

The fundraising numbers are out there for all to see.

WBB has put a lot of energy, enthusiasm, creativity, innovation and excitement into the fundraising process and not only on the Day of Giving. In addition Tammi does a wonderful job of explaining what the money will be used for and what the money was used for in the past. This makes people feel good about their donations and makes them want to give more.

Would seem like other programs would want to emulate what WBB has been and continues to do.
I believe we need a little clarification here. Sure Tammi does a great job as I mentioned previously, and she is an energetic and passionate spokesperson for the women's team. They put a lot of effort into the day of giving and the results are tremendous, there is no question about that. But I get the sense from your message above that you are implying that the women raise more money than the men overall which is not the case. Yes they raise quite a bit more on the day of giving no question there and they have for the last couple of years at least. There are many people that give fairly substantial sums to the men's team that are not included in these day of giving totals and I am pretty confident in saying that the men's team raises more than the women's team does. This does not even count the fund raising done for the practice facility (yes I know it is for both Men's and Women). But I will say the way things are trending not sure that will always be the case. If the women are at the top of the A10 every year and the men's team at the bottom, would not surprise me if the men's funding dries up and the ladies increases. Last year was a brutal year for the men's team, I would say the worse in at least a decade (sorry yes worse than any David Cox team). The team was boring and they were terrible. Sorry that is what it was. I really hope we see a big improvement this year.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You have to evaluate this event in a national context and what role this Day of Giving plays in overall URI giving. A Day of Giving is a technique that is used by many schools and has been growing in popularity over the last 6-7 years. Many schools conduct the affair in the Spring, others like URI conduct it in the Fall, many use the 24-hour model, others extend it to 36 hours, some hold it for two days and in the case of UMaine 5 days.

How each school defines gifts and the timing is a complex matter since the results are often puzzling to compare and I have no explanation for the differing results between schools. For example, UConn in their Day of Giving held in Spring raised $587,878 from 4,447 donors whereas UNH raised $2,952,880 from 12,606 donors. Other peculiar results show up, La Salle raises about the same amount as more wealthy Fordham, even more strange is Georgetown raised $1.2 million, whereas WVU raised $18 million.

URI in general does fairly well in this type event, but I think to finely cut comparisons between different programs like MBB and WBB is not meaningful, as 4Diffs correctly implies, especially since much giving is basically of a transactional nature.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe URI should not break it down by Sport then and publicize the results. Just do the Day of Giving period.

Sounds like negative impressions can be made between sports and coaches

Seems confusing and misleading.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Maybe URI should not break it down by Sport then and publicize the results. Just do the Day of Giving period.

Sounds like negative impressions can be made between sports and coaches

Seems confusing and misleading.
That's why there's this message board...to bring clarity to these kinds of things, right?
0 x