Boss Arena Issues Force Extended Closure

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Boss Arena Issues Force Extended Closure

Unread post by RF1 »

I figured that the issues with Boss Arena should have their own thread. While it has been mentioned in another thread, I did not think it made sense for that topic thread to be hijacked as often happens on these forums.

Boss Arena has had issues with its ice making systems which forced it to close this past summer. It was hoped that it would reopen on September 11th but that date was missed and the new target is now November 6th. That has forced the URI club hockey programs to move some of their games far off campus to sites in Pawtucket in Providence.

Extended ice arena closure force URI hockey, local teams to relocate
https://rhodycigar.com/2023/09/28/exten ... -relocate/
Last edited by RF1 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Boss Arena

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote: 7 months ago I figured that the issues with Boss Arena should have their own thread. While it has been mentioned in another thread, I did not think it made sense for that topic thread to be hijacked as often happens on these forums.

Extended ice arena closure force URI hockey, local teams to relocate
https://rhodycigar.com/2023/09/28/exten ... -relocate/
Yes good call, hopefully the same clueless hockey haters will stay away from this thread. Thanks.

It’s disaster enough imagine if this was our opening season in Atlantic Hockey or ECAC. Our advantage has always been having a decent on campus rink. I haven’t skated personally on the ice surface recently but 10 years ago the ice was phenomenal. What happened?

Let’s not forget how terrible this is for Prout, NK, SK and Narragansett high school hockey.

Hopefully some good discussion coming here.

Thanks again RF1
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So the State Flagship University has an ice rink with no ice and no solution for three months, but the pc friars who play at the AMP and pay nothing for renovations gets this? Shameful.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The Amica Mutual Pavilion and Rhode Island Convention Center are in the process of receiving $19 million in upgrades in an effort to bring more sporting events, concerts, performances and conventions to the Ocean State.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago So the State Flagship University has an ice rink with no ice and no solution for three months, but the pc friars who play at the AMP and pay nothing for renovations gets this? Shameful.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The Amica Mutual Pavilion and Rhode Island Convention Center are in the process of receiving $19 million in upgrades in an effort to bring more sporting events, concerts, performances and conventions to the Ocean State.
Pathetic.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago So the State Flagship University has an ice rink with no ice and no solution for three months, but the pc friars who play at the AMP and pay nothing for renovations gets this? Shameful.

PC gets 15/16 games there a year. They aren't doing the upgrades strictly for PC games.

As I hope you'd know, There are other events throughout whole year that bring people and revenue to the state.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

PC gets 15/16 games there a year. They aren't doing the upgrades strictly for PC games.

As I hope you'd know, There are other events throughout whole year that bring people and revenue to the state.
Well I certainly hope the rental fee for pc gets way jacked up after $19M in renovations. I'll follow that one. What they pay now vs what they pay after. Since they aren't spending a dime on renovations, I would expect taxpayers to be compensated on lease payments. And pc needs to pay big time.

Edit: So looked it up. pc is paying $35K per game. At 9K tickets at $50 per, pc gets $450k a game. Yeah, I think it's time to jack up what pc pays for use of a tax payer facility.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

Well I certainly hope the rental fee for pc gets way jacked up after $19M in renovations. I'll follow that one. What they pay now vs what they pay after. Since they aren't spending a dime on renovations, I would expect taxpayers to be compensated on lease payments. And pc needs to pay big time.

Edit: So looked it up. pc is paying $35K per game. At 9K tickets at $50 per, pc gets $450k a game. Yeah, I think it's time to jack up what pc pays for use of a tax payer facility.
Won’t argue that at all, was just saying the upgrades aren’t solely for PC games.

Stand up, concerts, P Bruins, etc all will benefit.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Boss Arena Issues Force Extended Closure

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You can always trust Channel 10 to show up when there's something negative to report at URI. Strangely they're not as present when the news is good...

https://turnto10.com/news/local/mechani ... ber-4-2023#
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago You can always trust Channel 10 to show up when there's something negative to report at URI. Strangely they're not as present when the news is good...

Good for 10 for shining a light on this.
0 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago You can always trust Channel 10 to show up when there's something negative to report at URI. Strangely they're not as present when the news is good...

Good for 10 for shining a light on this.
I don't mind them shining light on this. I do mind that when there's something good to report they suddenly can't find Kingston
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I agree that ch. 10 is always there when negative never good but maybe the other stations didn’t feel like running with this story. So good for shining a light. Maybe it gets fixed faster can only hope
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

12 picked it up yesterday as well.

Boss is a mess. I fully expect Nov 6 to come and go with no ice and another statement of delay, finger pointing, and yada yada yada.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

This is a major black eye for URI.
It is not only impacting the school but the community.

Just makes me so mad!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago 12 picked it up yesterday as well.

Boss is a mess. I fully expect Nov 6 to come and go with no ice and another statement of delay, finger pointing, and yada yada yada.
Totally agree...nwih there's ice by 11/6 or whatever date they put out there.
In fact, if someone wants to pick a date, I'd probably wager a sixer on the over....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, 12 picked it up, but I don't have the same issues with them. They seem to give far more balanced coverage to URI than 10
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

Yes, 12 picked it up, but I don't have the same issues with them. They seem to give far more balanced coverage to URI than 10
I guess I haven't noticed a general 'for' or 'against' bias on URI from the 3 local TV stations. maybe I'm just not looking for it?

certainly more sports coverage for the Friars, but generally speaking.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This Youtube video shows all the Atlantic Hockey venues:

0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago This Youtube video shows all the Atlantic Hockey venues:

weird.

they all seem to actually have ice.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Boss Arena just posted their novice skating program starts November 11th.

Hmmmm….

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

got a sneak peak this morning, can confirm there is ice being made, lines are in and logos were being put in.

should be open on Monday.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago
Great icemaking weather the last couple nights, did they just leave all the doors open? :lol:
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Any recent updates on how the Boss Arena ice is doing?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Any recent updates on how the Boss Arena ice is doing?
Great. Lots of activity. Parking lot seems busier than ever
IMG_2257.jpeg
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Was the existing ice making equipment repaired or was it fully replaced?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Repaired. Boss Reopened November 4 which was 2 days before the expected Nov 6 planned date.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Was the existing ice making equipment repaired or was it fully replaced?
bandaid
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago
RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Was the existing ice making equipment repaired or was it fully replaced?
bandaid
Which means a high probability it might happen again?
0 x
Edskater
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Edskater »

From my understanding as of this past week, nothing has been permanently replaced completely at this time, the rink is still running off a portable compressor system outback, that's why after Zamboni makes ice it takes so long to freeze
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Edskater wrote: 2 months ago From my understanding as of this past week, nothing has been permanently replaced completely at this time, the rink is still running off a portable compressor system outback, that's why after Zamboni makes ice it takes so long to freeze
Mobile compressors are still running out back in the parking lot, however I'm told Boss is running off ice own generator now.
0 x