Re: Just FBS D1 football

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The Tua comparison is obvious but that’s who Penix reminds me of
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 months ago The Tua comparison is obvious but that’s who Penix reminds me of
I said the same to a buddy of mine !
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Speaking of Tua...his bro, Ex-Maryland QB Taulia Tagovailoa in portal, seeks 6th year...

From the ESPN article:
"Just to better my draft stock," he said of his goals on the field. "I think with another opportunity and another year of college, I can raise that to a Day 1. Obviously, that's the goal. I have the experience to get better. I've seen the defenses before."

When asked what he'd say to the NCAA, Tagovailoa responded that he wouldn't want four snaps -- two at the end of two different blowouts -- to "prevent me from playing another year of college football while beginning coursework for my master's degree."

I'm not judging if he should get the sixth year or not (don't really care), but...what would you rather be? 24ish years old and headed into another year of college with likely a very nice NILdo package? Or, a 'maybe Day 3' pick? 10-20 years ago, he's in the draft and no one hears about this. Today, year 6 in college with P6 cash, I think wins easy.

Side note...the idea of going to college and making six figures at the same time...'going to school' and playing fill in the blank...just college'ing?
Playing college sports never been more attractive. What a country...why wouldn't you want to do that for as long as possible?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So Michigan is the champs. Good for them. I watched a small portion, but I thought by far the best play of the game was when John showed up next to him on the sidelines
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So FSU is getting a handslap for being a pro team. 30 hours of community service, I think.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... violations

This is the punchline from the article (or at least the one that made me laugh out loud):
NCAA rules prohibit boosters from using the promise of NIL deals as an incentive to try to convince a prospect to attend or transfer to a particular school.

Now that you mention it, this was fairly hilaire as well:
"We are pleased to reach closure to this situation and view this as another step in strengthening our culture of compliance at Florida State University," FSU athletic director Michael Alford said in a statement. "We take all compliance matters very seriously, and our full cooperation with the NCAA on this case is a clear example of that commitment. We remain committed to compliance with all NCAA rules including disassociation of the booster and the collective."

They used to say FSU doesn't re-build, it re-loads. I'm guessing it's the same with boosters...next wallet, er, man up!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Oh my goodness....by far THE biggest beneficiary of the Nick Saban sunset...massive pay increase, plus....no moving trucks.

Florida State announced earlier Friday it had agreed to an enhanced contract with Norvell. Sources told ESPN that it's an eight-year deal with an average of more than $10 million per season.

ETA: What a country
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ecruitment

Hilarious statement from the above article:

It was the first time the NCAA punished a school, coach or collective for using NIL as a recruiting inducement.

When they "punish (anyone) for using NIL as a recruiting inducement", do you think they do that with straight faces?
Or, are they all just glad to be working remotely so as not to have conference rooms busting out with laughter?
0 x