2023-24 schedule

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2023-24 schedule

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The women's out of conference schedule just came out:

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/8/21/rhod ... slate.aspx

One interesting note, both the men's and women's team have a home game on 12/21

2023 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Nov. 7 SACRED HEART
Nov. 10 UMASS LOWELL
Nov. 14 at Maine
Nov. 17 at Brown
Nov. 19 at NC State
Nov. 24 vs. Youngstown State (Las Vegas Holiday Classic)
Nov. 25 vs. Portland (Las Vegas Holiday Classic)
Nov. 30 QUINNIPIAC
Dec. 3 PRINCETON
Dec. 6 at Providence
Dec. 10 at St. John's
Dec. 21 LE MOYNE
Dec. 28 HARVARD
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2023-24 schedule

Unread post by jcru »

Significantly fewer cupcakes and more keto salmon salads on this year’s non con schedule
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 8 months ago Significantly fewer cupcakes and more keto salmon salads on this year’s non con schedule
Using the end of last season's NET rankings we swapped out

Dartmouth (311)
Coppin State (300)
Southeast Missouri State (265)
Samford (257)
Buffalo (213)
Hartford (361 going from D1 to D3)
Wake Forest (79)
Average (255)

with

Sacred Heart (258)
UMass Lowell (321)
Brown (235)
NC State (18)
Youngstown State (160)
Portland (83)
St. John's (56)
Le Moyne (moving from D2 to D1)
Average (162)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The conference schedule was released this afternoon:

Saturday, Dec. 30 at Saint Louis (ESPN+)
TUESDAY, JAN. 2 GEORGE MASON (ESPN+)
SATURDAY, JAN. 6 ST. BONAVENTURE (ESPN+)
Wednesday, Jan. 10 at Loyola Chicago (ESPN+)
Sunday, Jan. 14 at Richmond (CBSSN)
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 17 FORDHAM (ESPN+)
SUNDAY, JAN. 21 SAINT JOSEPH'S (ESPNU)
Wednesday, Jan. 24 at La Salle (ESPN+)
SATURDAY, JAN. 27 MASSACHUSETTS (ESPN+)
Wednesday, Jan. 31 at George Washington (ESPN+)
Saturday, Feb. 3 at Duquesne (ESPN+)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 7 RICHMOND (ESPN+)
SUNDAY, FEB. 11 SAINT LOUIS (ESPNU)
Wednesday, Feb. 14 at Massachusetts (ESPN+)
SATURDAY, FEB. 17 DAVIDSON (ESPN+)
Saturday, Feb. 24 at Saint Joseph's (ESPN+)
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 28 VCU (ESPN+)
Saturday, March 2 at Dayton (ESPN+)

Good news/bad news on that February 11th game vs Saint Louis. Bad news is it's Super Bowl Sunday and I won't be able to attend, good news is it's a nationally televised game and hopefully some extra exposure for our team
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI is listed as the A10 automatic qualifier in today's ESPN bracketology. We're a 13 seed playing Maryland in the College Park region.
We open up the season vs. Sacred Heart, who they have as the NEC AQ and a 16 seed.
We're at NC State who is listed as a 9 seed.
We host Princeton who is the Ivy AQ and a 10 seed.
We're at St. John's who is listed as the 6th team out.
We host Harvard who is listed as the 7th team out

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... rojections
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Good schedule. Pre season much stronger than last year. We need to beat St. John's or NC State, win the rest of the non conference games and we will go into conference schedule ranked. We are also capable of running the table against A10 competition. Tammi has this program on very solid footing.
Teisha Hyman will be the best guard in the conference. Hopefully, everything else will fall into place.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 7 months ago Good schedule. Pre season much stronger than last year. We need to beat St. John's or NC State, win the rest of the non conference games and we will go into conference schedule ranked. We are also capable of running the table against A10 competition. Tammi has this program on very solid footing.
Teisha Hyman will be the best guard in the conference. Hopefully, everything else will fall into place.
Pretty wishful thinking Cam.
We should be one of the favorites but doubt we can run the table in-conference.
I will settle for us just getting a bid this season and yeah I think Tammi has us on very solid footing.

Along with Rhody, I see SLU, St. Joe's, and Richmond as contenders.

SLU was the hottest team in the conference at the end of last season and won the A10T.
They return 4 of 5 starters and 6 core players, including best player Kyla McMakin.

St. Joe's finished 9-7 in 22-23 and return their top 3 players.
Brugler was 1st team A10 and averaged 16.7 pts/5 rebs,
Smith and Ziegler were also All-Conference players.

Richmond finished 5th in the A10 last season.
They return all 5 starters including All-Conference players Budnik and Doogan.

As far as Hyman being the best guard in the A10 next season, don't know if I will go that far.
Difficult to say that being a transfer and newcomer to the conference.
Without even looking at the A10 newcomers, other quality returning guards:
Megan McConnell (Duquesne)- All-A10 2nd Team, averaged 11 pts/ 5.5 assists/ 2.3 steals.
Kyla McMakin (SLU)- All A10 2nd Team, averaged 17 pts.
Julia Martinez (SLU)- All A10 Defensive Team, averaged 9.7 pts/ 7.7 rebs/ 4.7 assists.
MacKenzie Smith (St. Joe's)- All A10 3rd Team, averaged 13.6 pts/ 4.3 rebs.
Grace Townsend (Richmond)- Averaged 10.3 pts/ 5 rebs/ 4.5 assists.
Nya Robertson (GW)- A10 All-Rookie Team. averaged 14.4 pts (34% 3PT).
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Jersey,
It's not wishful thinking. It's based on the fact that we have been there at the end the last two seasons while others have come and gone. We are deep, capable of creating mismatches and can play big or play small. This is it. Anything less then an A10 championship and a bid will be a disappointment. We have shooters that will also defend the three and can also run the floor. And our bigs are solid. Tisha will not disappoint. Looking forward to a great season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago
jcru wrote: 8 months ago Significantly fewer cupcakes and more keto salmon salads on this year’s non con schedule
Using the end of last season's NET rankings we swapped out

Dartmouth (311)
Coppin State (300)
Southeast Missouri State (265)
Samford (257)
Buffalo (213)
Hartford (361 going from D1 to D3)
Wake Forest (79)
Average (255)

with

Sacred Heart (258)
UMass Lowell (321)
at Brown (235)
at NC State (18)
Neutral Youngstown State (160)
Neutral Portland (83)
at St. John's (56)
Le Moyne (moving from D2 to D1)
Average (162)

Teams played last year and again this year:
at Maine (206)
Quinnipiac (154)
Princeton (40)
at Providence (129)
Harvard (71)

Agree RR2
Stronger schedule.
Games at NC State and St John's should both be Quad 1 Games
Portland Neutral in Las Vegas is a solid Quad 2 game
Princeton and Harvard playing in the Ryan Center will be fun to watch

Nice job by Tammi putting together this OOC Schedule
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 7 months ago Jersey,
It's not wishful thinking. It's based on the fact that we have been there at the end the last two seasons while others have come and gone. We are deep, capable of creating mismatches and can play big or play small. This is it. Anything less then an A10 championship and a bid will be a disappointment. We have shooters that will also defend the three and can also run the floor. And our bigs are solid. Tisha will not disappoint. Looking forward to a great season.
Cam, I absolutely agree with you about how good our team is this year.
I even said that at the end of last season that I expect us to get a bid in 23-24.

Maybe I was confused when you said running the table, thinking you meant not losing in the A10 regular season
I just thought that going undefeated in conference play may be assuming a little too much, because there are some quality teams in the conference that we also have to play on the road.
Our conference opener 12/30 at SLU should be a tough test and good indicator.

Regarding Hyman, not ready to immediately anoint her as the top guard in the conference just yet, there are several very good ones as I pointed out earlier.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 7 months ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 7 months ago Good schedule. Pre season much stronger than last year. We need to beat St. John's or NC State, win the rest of the non conference games and we will go into conference schedule ranked. We are also capable of running the table against A10 competition. Tammi has this program on very solid footing.
Pretty wishful thinking Cam.
We should be one of the favorites but doubt we can run the table in-conference.
I will settle for us just getting a bid this season and yeah I think Tammi has us on very solid footing.

Along with Rhody, I see SLU, St. Joe's, and Richmond as contenders.

SLU was the hottest team in the conference at the end of last season and won the A10T.
They return 4 of 5 starters and 6 core players, including best player Kyla McMakin.

St. Joe's finished 9-7 in 22-23 and return their top 3 players.
Brugler was 1st team A10 and averaged 16.7 pts/5 rebs,
Smith and Ziegler were also All-Conference players.

Richmond finished 5th in the A10 last season.
They return all 5 starters including All-Conference players Budnik and Doogan.

As far as Hyman being the best guard in the A10 next season, don't know if I will go that far.
Difficult to say that being a transfer and newcomer to the conference.
Without even looking at the A10 newcomers, other quality returning guards:
Megan McConnell (Duquesne)- All-A10 2nd Team, averaged 11 pts/ 5.5 assists/ 2.3 steals.
Kyla McMakin (SLU)- All A10 2nd Team, averaged 17 pts.
Julia Martinez (SLU)- All A10 Defensive Team, averaged 9.7 pts/ 7.7 rebs/ 4.7 assists.
MacKenzie Smith (St. Joe's)- All A10 3rd Team, averaged 13.6 pts/ 4.3 rebs.
Grace Townsend (Richmond)- Averaged 10.3 pts/ 5 rebs/ 4.5 assists.
Nya Robertson (GW)- A10 All-Rookie Team. averaged 14.4 pts (34% 3PT).

I'm all in with Cameron,
We won't be one of the favorites, we will be THE favorite.
Last year we finished 26-7 and 14-2 Conference tied with UMASS for 1st place.

Last year line playing time in last game of season at Harvard (I was there) was:
Minutes/Player:
31-Dutat
28-Hattix-Covington - started
25-Toure - started
25-Lassiter - started
25-Phillips
15-Magassa
15-Debroise
15-Cairnes - started
12-Rinat
8-Squires - started
1-Kamara

Out for this season are 4 starters Hattix-Covington, Lassiter, Cairnes and Squires from the Harvard game. Also out is Rinat. All in Red above:

Remaining:
Dutat who played a game high 31 minutes (did not start) as a Freshman. She played great/phenomenal/outstanding this summer in Europe. She is an amazing player with an extremely bright future to play professionally one day
Toure who improved by leaps and bounds last season, started and played 28 minutes - 2nd most on team vs Harvard
Phillips also improved greatly when given the chance and showed she is capable of shooting the lights out, passes well, good defense - played 25 minutes
Magassa battled health and came on stronger as the season went on. The transfer from Dayton has a lot of promise - played 15 minutes
Debroise played well this summer. Played 15 minutes vs Harvard. Potential to battle for a starting role or at the least for significant minutes
Kamara, only a Freshman, showed great ability to rebound, especially on the offensive glass.
2 players who did not play vs Harvard but have ability are Chantelle Blagrove and Sophie Sene. They stayed with the program and will battle for playing time.

The remaining players are a great nucleus and could battle for Top Tier Conference, but NOW consider that Tammi adds in for 2023-2024:
Eva DeChent - Freshman
Katie Ledden - Freshman
Sophia Vital - Freshman
Dee Dee Davis - Grad Transfer from Manhattan
Teisha Hyman - Grad Transfer from Syracuse

I don't think any of the 4 starters from the Harvard NIT Game would have been starters for this 2023-2024 team except to possibly argue Hattix-Covington. Not putting anyone down, just showing how talented the incoming 5 incoming players are AND how talented many of the remaining players are.

For Tammi and Staff to retain young and talented players such as Dutat, Toure and Phillips says volumes. Recruiting starts with retention these days.
All of the players who stayed see the potential of this program and their potential roles in the program.

Tammi's 2023-2024 roster has depth and talent. Individuals will be fighting for playing time and starting positions from Day 1.

Tammi has the team to beat in the A10 and could very well be knocking on the Top 25 Door if things fall together. The potential definitely exists.

Tammi has also put together a challenging OOC Schedule that Players of this ability appreciate. They will get to travel in OOC to:
Las Vegas - Portland and Youngstown State
Raleigh Durham NC - NC State - ACC
Orono - Maine
NYC - St John's - BE
Providence - PC - BE
Providence - Brown

In 18 A10 Games URI will play
Saint Louis - Home and Away (17-18)(10-6) 4th Reg Season, A10 Champion
UMASS - Home and Away (27-7)(14-2) 1st Reg Season, A10 Championship Final Lost to St Louis
St Joseph's - Home and Away (20-11)(9-7) 6th Reg Season, A10 Quarter-Final lost to St Louis
Richmond - Home and Away (21-11)(8-6) 5th Reg Season, A10 Semi-Final Lost to UMASS
George Mason
St Bonaventure
Loyola Chicago
Fordham
Lasalle
George Washington
Duquesne
Davidson
VCU
Dayton

URI will play SLU, UMASS, Richmond and St Joseph's twice because the A10 Rewards High Achievers from previous year with a tougher schedule. This is a practice the A10 implemented a few years ago.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah Ramster, I do think we have the best team in the conference and maybe hedging a little when lumping us in along with SLU, St. Joe's, and Richmond as contenders. But still those 3 teams do concern me and wouldn't be totally shocked if they do make a serious run. Nothing is a sure thing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Based on latest September 19, 2023 Preseason ESPN Bracketology:
  • URI is AQ for the A10 and a 13-Seed
  • URI plays Harvard at Home and St John's Away - both of these opponents are in the "Next Four Out"
  • URI plays Sacred Heart at Home - SH is a AQ and a 16-Seed
  • URI plays Princeton at Home - Princeton is a AQ and a 10-Seed
  • URI plays NC State Away - NC State is a 9-Seed
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Based on latest September 19, 2023 Preseason ESPN Bracketology:
  • URI plays Harvard at Home and St John's Away - both of these opponents are in the "Next Four Out"
I agree Ramster, our OOC schedule gives us the opporunity for some good wins.
Even not mentioned above: Portland (15-3 WCC, NCAAT bid), Youngstown State (13-7 HL), Maine (11-5 AEC) are not bad teams and return some quality players.

If we take care of business in the regular season, we should get an at-large bid, even if we don't win the A10T.

If this team is as good as we think, it would be a major disappointment if we don't make the NCAAT.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Based on latest September 19, 2023 Preseason ESPN Bracketology:
Even not mentioned above: Portland (15-3 WCC, NCAAT bid), Youngstown State (13-7 HL), Maine (11-5 AEC) are not bad teams and return some quality players.

If we take care of business in the regular season, we should get an at-large bid, even if we don't win the A10T.

If this team is as good as we think, it would be a major disappointment if we don't make the NCAAT.

2 things I vividly remember Tammi saying before last season started:

1. Tammi said she had difficulty scheduling P6 Teams to play URI. She said people she knew and called thinking she could get a game just did not work out. P6 teams did not want to play. Archie Miller said similar prior to last season. So the fact that Tammi was able to land games @ NC State and @ St John's was great. She got not one but two P6 games even if the are on the road. That just makes a win that more impactful.

2. Tammi identifies and readily admits her mistakes. She said at the end of the 2021-2022 season that they were focused on team goals to win the A10 Conference and win the A10 Tournament. She thought that hurt the team physhologically when they did not accomplish those and then did not play up to par in the NIT. She felt the team was down after the A10 Tournament. Tammi told last year's team/staff to work hard, play hard but to have fun, enjoy the season.

So I don't see it as a disappointment if URI does not make the NCAA Tournament. Play hard, work hard, coach well and have fun. Whatever post season comes our way then great, if not, then continue on the upward path that she and her staff have this program solidly on for the next year.

Will be a fun year for sure. Can't wait.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Either way, uri is a top 4 team in the Conference. I don’t think anyone denies that. Their top two opponents are SLU and St Joes. They are likely to play SLU three times, including the A10 T. Pace yourself. They don’t need to go crazy against SLU the regular season games, they are more for “bragging rights”. Because really, only the final game really matters, in the finals. Only the winner of the conference tourney is going to the NCAAT, most likely.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Enjoy the ride
Great Head Coach
Great Coaching Staff
Strong returning players
Strong incoming freshmen
Strong incoming transfers
Strong OOC schedule historically speaking
Strong A10 Schedule since Top Tier Finishing Teams get preference in A10 scheduling playing Top Teams 2X Home & Away

Can't wait
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago

2 things I vividly remember Tammi saying before last season started:

1. Tammi said she had difficulty scheduling P6 Teams to play URI. She said people she knew and called thinking she could get a game just did not work out. P6 teams did not want to play. Archie Miller said similar prior to last season. So the fact that Tammi was able to land games @ NC State and @ St John's was great. She got not one but two P6 games even if the are on the road. That just makes a win that more impactful.

2. Tammi identifies and readily admits her mistakes. She said at the end of the 2021-2022 season that they were focused on team goals to win the A10 Conference and win the A10 Tournament. She thought that hurt the team physhologically when they did not accomplish those and then did not play up to par in the NIT. She felt the team was down after the A10 Tournament. Tammi told last year's team/staff to work hard, play hard but to have fun, enjoy the season.

So I don't see it as a disappointment if URI does not make the NCAA Tournament. Play hard, work hard, coach well and have fun. Whatever post season comes our way then great, if not, then continue on the upward path that she and her staff have this program solidly on for the next year.

Will be a fun year for sure. Can't wait.
The ultimate goal is to get a bid to the NCAAT, as pointed out by everyone on this board many times.

Ramster, you corrected me by saying we are THE favorite to win the A10.
You typically have higher expectations than I do for them and also have hyped this roster more than me.

Both Hyman and Davis are grads and Magassa and Toure' are seniors, who knows if they will return.
This is the year we need to get over the hump and get a bid, especially since according to you we will be the favorite.
We also have the schedule to give us that chance of getting an at-large, just in case.

Tammi got a substantial raise and extension, deservedly so.

So yeah of course I will be disappointed if we don't go "Dancing", and also probably Tammi, the players, and all the fans.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Count me among the NCAA Tourney or Bust crew. This team is gonna be our best yet!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm not a big fan of NCAA or bust when you're in a traditional one bid conference. Too many crazy things can happen in the conference tournament
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 7 months ago I'm not a big fan of NCAA or bust when you're in a traditional one bid conference. Too many crazy things can happen in the conference tournament
Time to break that tradition.

If the team is as good as most here think and with our OOC schedule, we have a very good chance at getting an at-large bid even if we don't win the A10T.
We just need to win those games, and we are capable of that.
If not this year than when?

The last 3 seasons we had an upward trajectory: 3rd, 2nd, and then last season T1st.
This is the year to do it and break through.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

If we had played UMASS in the A10 Championship game and it was closely contested, both teams would probably have gone. We both did shoot ourselves in the foot by losing late season games allowing St. Louis to emerge. Also, much of this has to do with Big5 conference tournaments. The less
upsets that take place, the better the chances are for two A10 bids. Conference might just be strong enough this year for that to happen.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 7 months ago If we had played UMASS in the A10 Championship game and it was closely contested, both teams would probably have gone. We both did shoot ourselves in the foot by losing late season games allowing St. Louis to emerge. Also, much of this has to do with Big5 conference tournaments. The less
upsets that take place, the better the chances are for two A10 bids. Conference might just be strong enough this year for that to happen.
I agree Cam D.
Besides in 2022, also in 2018, the A10 had 2 bids to the NCAAT: UMass and Dayton
Also in 2022 and 2021, 4 mid-major conferences got multi-bids.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not impossible, but they would need to: beat Princeton this year, at home. No exceptions.

Maybe lose to just NC State. Have a strong showing against St. John's.

split with just St. Louis and St. Joe's in the A-10. Beat both Richmond (away), Dayton (away), and Fordham at home.

Beat *everyone* else. And maybe take both games vs St Joes like they did last year.

And THEN, they might have a chance at an at large bid, if they lose the final game in the A10T. A lot of IF's there.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 7 months ago Not impossible, but they would need to: beat Princeton this year, at home. No exceptions.

Maybe lose to just NC State. Have a strong showing against St. John's.

split with just St. Louis and St. Joe's in the A-10. Beat both Richmond (away), Dayton (away), and Fordham at home.

Beat *everyone* else. And maybe take both games vs St Joes like they did last year.

And THEN, they might have a chance at an at large bid, if they lose the final game in the A10T. A lot of IF's there.
Yes jcru it won't be easy, nothing really good ever is, if that will be our option.
But I am hoping for a top seed in the A10T and winning it.

One thing I really like about our roster is aside from the talented starters, we have quality depth at every position which is needed in a tournament series.
Last edited by Jersey77 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That early season tourney should be interesting. I'm guessing they beat Youngstown State and Portland will be a strongly contested game. If they come out of there with two wins, could earn them some national clout.

They basically need to be what UMass was last year. Keep winning, strong enough NET, no upsets, in the national conversation as a NCAAT team, and go into the A10T the number one seed. If they don't go into the A10T the number one seed, they should still be a top 4 team so they will have good placement in the tourney to try for the autobid, but they will have lost any chance of getting an at large bid at that point.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 7 months ago That early season tourney should be interesting. I'm guessing they beat Youngstown State and Portland will be a strongly contested game. If they come out of there with two wins, could earn them some national clout.

They basically need to be what UMass was last year. Keep winning, strong enough NET, no upsets, in the national conversation as a NCAAT team, and go into the A10T the number one seed. If they don't go into the A10T the number one seed, they should still be a top 4 team so they will have good placement in the tourney to try for the autobid, but they will have lost any chance of getting an at large bid at that point.
Yeah, that could be very true.
But aside from any unfortunate injuries, I can see us finishing 1st in the A10 and getting the top seed.
Still, like I said earlier it won't be a walk in the park with several teams challenging us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Princeton comes in Ranked #39 in Madness Top 44 WBB Countdown

Picked to win the Ivy League

URI's best OCC Home Game this season on December 3

IMG_9968.png
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 7 months ago Princeton comes in Ranked #39 in Madness Top 44 WBB Countdown

Picked to win the Ivy League

URI's best OCC Home Game this season on December 3

IMG_9968.png
Also for Princeton, curious to see Tabitha Amanze.
She didn't play last season freshman year because of an injury.
She was a top 50 national recruit from NJ in 2022 and is a 6'4" PF/center.

They also added #64 national '23 recruit (F) Fadima Tall.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We're traveling to NC State 11/19, College Sports Madness ranks them #27 and #7 in the ACC. They're projected to make the NCAA tournament:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22155

We're scheduled to play Princeton at the Ryan Center 12/3. College Sports Madness ranks them as the #39 team in the country and #1 in the Ivy:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22118
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NC State #27 in 44 WBB Madness Countdown

NC State Ranked 7th in ACC giving an idea on how strong and deep ACC WBB is

Will be the toughest road game for URI WBB this season

IMG_0277.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

College Sports Madness has Princeton as a 10 seed and NC State as a 7 in their bracketology. They haven't released their whole first bracketology yet, they're only filling in teams as they add their profile in the top 44 programs
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

While you're checking out these two teams, take a look at Harvard's pre-season schedule. If nothing else they will come into our game extremely prepared.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago While you're checking out these two teams, take a look at Harvard's pre-season schedule. If nothing else they will come into our game extremely prepared.
Wow. You are right. Excellent schedule.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The women will be raising a banner for their A10 regular season championship on their season opener 11/7 against Sacred Heart. Their NIT banner was already updated to include 2023
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There is a flex deal for tickets for the women's game. 8 tickets for 60 dollars. You can use them in any different way......4 tix for 2 games, 2 tix for 4 games, 1 ticket for 8 games. I usually go by myself so, for those in the know, what should be the 8 best home games?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I would say 11/7 season opener when they raise the banner and Princeton would be the two out of conference games you would want to consider most. Could add Harvard in there as well. Le Moyne is at 11 am, so that's going to be the game where they have bus loads of kids come in for women in sports game. Your mileage may vary on whether you'd prefer to go one of, if not the best attended games of the year with men's basketball home at 6 for a doubleheader or you'd prefer to avoid 1500-2000 elementary school kids.

From there, I would probably just wait to see what the pre-season poll looks like for best home A10 games
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In a related subject this is a banner WBB has had in place at the North Ticket Window for some time now. This picture was from August.
IMG_9489.jpeg
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This year's promotional schedule:

Tuesday, Nov. 7
Home Opener - vs. Sacred Heart
Join Rhody Women's Basketball in celebrating their 2022-23 Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championship.
Free replica championship banners to the first 500 fans in attendance!
Junior Ruckus Game

Friday, Nov. 10
Salute to Service – vs. UMass Lowell
Veterans and active military members can claim up to two free tickets and guests can purchase additional tickets for $5.
Camper appreciation: Tammi Reiss Basketball Camp participants are admitted free!
Post-game autographs and meet and greet with the Women's Basketball team

Thursday, Nov. 30
International Students Night – vs. Quinnipiac
Rhody Women's Basketball celebrates URI's international student body!

Sunday, Dec. 3
Alumni Day – vs. Princeton
We welcome back all Rhody Women's basketball alumni and celebrate their contributions to the program
Junior Ruckus Game
Post-game autographs and meet and greet with the Women's Basketball team!

Thursday, Dec. 21
Education Day – vs. Le Moyne
Join us for the annual Rhody Women's Basketball Education Day game! Elementary school students and teachers are admitted free for a day of education, sportsmanship, and basketball! Call the box office for more information and to register your school today.

Saturday, Jan. 6
Family Day – vs. St. Bonaventure
Children 12 and under admitted free.
Junior Ruckus Game

Sunday, Jan. 21
National Girls & Women in Sports Day– vs. Saint Joseph's
Celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day with Rhody Women's Basketball.

Saturday, Jan. 27
80's Day – vs. Massachusetts
Coach Reiss' favorite day of the year! Join the Rams as we celebrate the 1980's with music, contests, and more.
Slap bracelet giveaway.
Girl Scout Day: Local Rhode Island Girl Scout troops are admitted free!
Faculty/Staff Game
Junior Ruckus Game

Wednesday, Feb. 7
Pride Night – vs. Richmond
Rhody Women's Basketball celebrates Pride.
Rhode Island Pride sticker giveaway!

Sunday, Feb. 11
High School Day – vs. Saint Louis
High School Day - more info coming soon!

Saturday, Feb. 17
Play4Kay/Family Day – vs. Davidson
Cancer survivors and caregivers can claim two free tickets to Rhody's play for Kay game against Davidson.
Children 12 and Under admitted free!

Wednesday, Feb. 28
Fan Appreciation Day/Senior Day – vs. VCU
Join us for Rhody's regular season finale as we celebrate and thank YOU for all of your amazing support all season long!
We recognize Rhody's incredible senior class and thank them for their contributions to the program.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0595.jpeg
0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago While you're checking out these two teams, take a look at Harvard's pre-season schedule. If nothing else they will come into our game extremely prepared.
I give Tammi a lot of credit for getting them on the schedule after losing to them twice last season. They have a real strong team mental toughness and are very difficult to deal with.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our first game is Tuesday at home against Sacred Heart.
This isn't a bad match-up at the RC and will give us a good early glimpse of our team against a pretty good opponent.

Sacred Heart is the unanimous pick to win the NEC in 23-24.
Last season they went to the NCAAT and won their 1st game, then lost to #1 seed Stanford.
They are experienced and return their top 6 players in minutes.
Also have a couple of All-Conference players coming back.

(G) Ny 'Ceara Pryor- Last season won all 3 major awards: NEC-POY, DPOY, and ROY, averaged about 18 pts/ 7 rebs/ 4 assists.
(SF) Sajada Bonner- This season selected 2nd Team All-NEC, averaged 10.7 pts
(SF) Amelia Wood- 22-23 All-NEC Rookie Team, averaged about 8 pts. Made a team high 60-3PT.
(PF) Kelsey Wood- Played 16 min/game, averaged about 5 pts/5 rebs.
(G) Olivia Tucker- Started 31 games in 22-23, averaged about 7 pts.
(G) Sierra Johnson- Started 22 games in 22-23, averaged about 5.5 pts.

They also have a decent freshman class headlined by (C) Emma Kirby who was Delaware Gatorade POY.

They aren't a great shooting team especially from 3PT and are prone to turnovers.

Though in all not bad competition for our first game.
With all that said we have more talent and size and should dominate them at home.
I see a double-digit win for us and our bench getting plenty of minutes because of our depth.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Our first game is Tuesday at home against Sacred Heart.
This isn't a bad match-up at the RC and will give us a good early glimpse of our team against a pretty good opponent.

Sacred Heart is the unanimous pick to win the NEC in 23-24.
Last season they went to the NCAAT and won their 1st game, then lost to #1 seed Stanford.
They are experienced and return their top 6 players in minutes.
Also have a couple of All-Conference players coming back.

(G) Ny 'Ceara Pryor- Last season won all 3 major awards: NEC-POY, DPOY, and ROY, averaged about 18 pts/ 7 rebs/ 4 assists.
(SF) Sajada Bonner- This season selected 2nd Team All-NEC, averaged 10.7 pts
(SF) Amelia Wood- 22-23 All-NEC Rookie Team, averaged about 8 pts. Made a team high 60-3PT.
(PF) Kelsey Wood- Played 16 min/game, averaged about 5 pts/5 rebs.
(G) Olivia Tucker- Started 31 games in 22-23, averaged about 7 pts.
(G) Sierra Johnson- Started 22 games in 22-23, averaged about 5.5 pts.

They also have a decent freshman class headlined by (C) Emma Kirby who was Delaware Gatorade POY.

They aren't a great shooting team especially from 3PT and are prone to turnovers.

Though in all not bad competition for our first game.
With all that said we have more talent and size and should dominate them at home.
I see a double-digit win for us and our bench getting plenty of minutes because of our depth.
I wonder how deep Tammi will go into the rotation this year. Last year she consistently played 10 and occasionally even played 11. And as you said, the depth is even better this year.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

She indicated that she's going to want to play a much higher tempo for longer, so I'd imagine we'll be seeing a big rotation
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For those going tonight the banner will be unveiled at 5:45 and tipoff will be at 6:02
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pictures of Banner unveiled tonight just prior to game start.
IMG_0683.jpeg
IMG_0682.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final score vs Sacred Heart. Next Game this Friday 6pm vs UMASS Lowell
IMG_0685.jpeg
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Observations from 1st game with Sacred Heart:
  • Tammy said at the A10 Media Day interview that this year's team was driving to win Conference, Win the A10 Tournament and reach the NCAA Tournament. Tonight this team never let up from start to finish.
  • Even in the last few minutes of Q4 Sacred Heart was stalling and working the shot clock down before going to the basket, as soon as URI got the ball they were off and running, even up 50 points. All URI players are working hard and competing for playing time.
  • Current Sophomore Anaelle Dutat was a star in last years A10 Tournament and in the NIT and was named A10 All Defensive team preseason - yet she didn't start tonight. That shows how incredibly strong this team is. Dutat had 10 rebounds, 8 points and her usually tenacious defense in 18 minutes of playing time. Tammi knows what Anaelle is capable of and I'd expect her playing time to increase as bigger, tougher games approach
  • Tenin Magassa, the transfer last season from Dayton, was much improved over last season. She was strong offensively and she had 6 blocks. 2 blocks were on the same play as she blocked, then opponent got the block, drove towards the hoop only to have Magassa block it a 2nd time. Amazing Toure and Magassa playing together and each could be considered the best big in the Conference - and here we have them both at URI and playing together!!!
  • Maye Toure was strong as expected. She has improved on an already good shooting stroke.
  • Tammi had the team focus on getting the ball inside to Toure and Magassa particularly in the 1st 2 quarters taking advantage of their height and skill
  • Sophomore Howa Komara was 1st off the bench. She has gained strength since last year and showed a strong inside presence especially defensively
  • I have never seen as talented and deep WBB Team at URI
  • Freshman Eva Dechent made her appearance midway through Q3. She played well and demonstrated strong potential
  • Freshmen Katie Leddon and Sophia Vital played well, picking right up on the fast pace being played.
  • Last minutes of the game was Dutat, Sene, Vital, DeChent and Ledden - 2 Sophs and 3 Freshmen - I found myself thinking these 5 could finish 2nd or 3rd in the A10 Conference if they were themselves another A10 team - that is how deep the quality of our bench is. We are talented, deep and have a nice mix of players of different age/experience
  • We are definitely the team to beat in the A10 and we have an exciting rest of the year ahead of us.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0686.jpeg
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Observations from 1st game with Sacred Heart:
  • Tammy said at the A10 Media Day interview that this year's team was driving to win Conference, Win the A10 Tournament and reach the NCAA Tournament. Tonight this team never let up from start to finish.
  • Even in the last few minutes of Q4 Sacred Heart was stalling and working the shot clock down before going to the basket, as soon as URI got the ball they were off and running, even up 50 points. All URI players are working hard and competing for playing time.
  • Current Sophomore Anaelle Dutat was a star in last years A10 Tournament and in the NIT and was named A10 All Defensive team preseason - yet she didn't start tonight. That shows how incredibly strong this team is. Dutat had 10 rebounds, 8 points and her usually tenacious defense in 18 minutes of playing time. Tammi knows what Anaelle is capable of and I'd expect her playing time to increase as bigger, tougher games approach
  • Tenin Magassa, the transfer last season from Dayton, was much improved over last season. She was strong offensively and she had 6 blocks. 2 blocks were on the same play as she blocked, then opponent got the block, drove towards the hoop only to have Magassa block it a 2nd time. Amazing Toure and Magassa playing together and each could be considered the best big in the Conference - and here we have them both at URI and playing together!!!
  • Maye Toure was strong as expected. She has improved on an already good shooting stroke.
  • Tammi had the team focus on getting the ball inside to Toure and Magassa particularly in the 1st 2 quarters taking advantage of their height and skill
  • Sophomore Howa Komara was 1st off the bench. She has gained strength since last year and showed a strong inside presence especially defensively
  • I have never seen as talented and deep WBB Team at URI
  • Freshman Eva Dechent made her appearance midway through Q3. She played well and demonstrated strong potential
  • Freshmen Katie Leddon and Sophia Vital played well, picking right up on the fast pace being played.
  • Last minutes of the game was Dutat, Sene, Vital, DeChent and Ledden - 2 Sophs and 3 Freshmen - I found myself thinking these 5 could finish 2nd or 3rd in the A10 Conference if they were themselves another A10 team - that is how deep the quality of our bench is. We are talented, deep and have a nice mix of players of different age/experience
  • We are definitely the team to beat in the A10 and we have an exciting rest of the year ahead of us.
Thanks Ramster for the summary, very good job.
I agree with you about the team.
This is our year; they totally dominated a not so bad Sacred Heart team.
0 x