Providence Civic Center (Dunk,AMP) history review

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Providence Civic Center (Dunk,AMP) history review

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think it is important for new people on the site the get a history of the Providence Civic Center. The City ran the building into the ground.
------------------------
In December 2005, the Rhode Island Convention Center Authority purchased the building from the city of Providence( For $25 est Million) and spent $80 million(the project went way over budget, RICC had to go back to General Assembly to get approval on more funding) on an extensive renovation. Major elements of the construction included a significantly expanded lobby and concourse, an enclosed pedestrian bridge from the Rhode Island Convention Center, a new center-hung LED video display board, a new restaurant, 20 luxury suites, four new bathrooms, and all-new seats with cupholders in the arena bowl. Behind-the-scenes improvements included a new HVAC system, ice chiller, and a first-of-its-kind fire suppression system. These renovations were completed in October 2008.
Every surface of the old PCC was touched in the renovation it was said at the time in 2008, however, last summer the roof needed to be redone for a cost of $6million+). Why wasn't that done in the original 2007 renovation?
There are big salaries being paid to the Staff people who run the AMP. As far as I know, investigations have gone nowhere into the staff and the annual cost to run the AMP. It would seem like many jobs are political patronage jobs.
The big users of this building are private entities. Providence College Athletics and the Providence Bruins.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Providence Civic Center (Dunk,AMP) history review

Unread post by RF1 »

The roof is currently now being done. You can see a crane and work supplies on the roof as you pass it on Rte 95. The structure is a continuing money pit as it continually requires expensive never ending upgrades - first a renovation, then new scoreboard, then new HVAC / ice chiller systems, now a new roof.

The facility runs operating deficits every year requiring a state subsidy. The days of frequent concerts that brought in a lot of revenue are long past for venues such as it. The concept that incorporating it into the RI Convention Center would yield bigger events that would use both facilities was pretty much a ruse as few events in some 20 years have done so.

The arena is pretty much a public state welfare subsidy operation that only really directly benefits the private entities of the Providence Bruins and PC Friars.
Last edited by RF1 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OBRAM wrote: 8 months ago
There are big salaries being paid to the Staff people who run the AMP. As far as I know, investigations have gone nowhere into the staff and the annual cost to run the AMP. It would seem like many jobs are political patronage jobs.
In other "so Rhode Island" news, the sky remains blue and water is still wet to the touch.
2 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
OBRAM wrote: 8 months ago
In other "so Rhode Island" news, the sky remains blue and water is still wet to the touch.
I had more of an issue with this before they decided to give URI the $ to fix Meade. I guess it wasn’t the timeline we would have liked and it was late in coming. Still it’s a capital city and they should have an arena and yea that arena cost money to keep it in shape. I don’t go to PC games but I have taken my son to Monster trucks many times and we enjoy the experience. I have gone to see Mumford and sons and Phish my wife and I really enjoyed it.
0 x