Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Understanding the NIL

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey Guys,

I have Andy Wittry of ON3 Sports on the podcast Wednesday. It is sort of an NIL 101.

Anyone have questions?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks, Scott.

In general, where does he see this all heading?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

How accurate are their valuations to what's actually being paid out to players?
Are they ever consulted on their evaluations (does an agent/parent ever try to use on3 as leverage)? Or are they totally isolated?
What goes into their equation for getting an estimate on a player?
What's the ratio of legitimate business leveraging a players NIL (like a player in a commercial) vs a large donor funneling through a collective?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago How accurate are their valuations to what's actually being paid out to players?
Are they ever consulted on their evaluations (does an agent/parent ever try to use on3 as leverage)? Or are they totally isolated?
What's the ratio of legitimate business leveraging a players NIL (like a player in a commercial) vs a large donor funneling through a collective?
I’ll give it a stab off anecdotal and first hand experience

1.) guesstimates at best and not related to any real world marketing valuation

2.) pull it out of thin air

3.) 3-5% legitimate marketing partnerships / 95% booster funded pay for play via collectives
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

What do you guys think of On3 as a media source btw?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago How accurate are their valuations to what's actually being paid out to players?

3.) 3-5% legitimate marketing partnerships / 95% booster funded pay for play via collectives
I know this lol. I just want to hear him say it.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Well if time is limited I will ask him to answer the questions in the comment section.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago

I know this lol. I just want to hear him say it.
Oh he will never say it !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
1.) Here is a ON3 article regarding recent Texas Law Changes to help Colleges and Universities with NIL. Interested in his comments on this.

2.) The Texas Tech Matador Club makes NIL available to all members of the Baseball Team. I've head the starters get at least $100,000 per year and growing. Non starters also get NIL money.

3. The Matador Club pays a minimum of $25,000 for up to 120 players on the Football Roster. This is well beyond the maximum scholarship allowed number. So schools are now increasing their rosters beyond the Scholarship limit by offering NIL Money. In lieu of Scholarship money. These players can dress, practice with the team, etc. what are your interviewee's comments on this?

4. Does he foresee a future of separate FBS and FCS divisions for Basketball as we currently have for football? Will the big money separate the teams into 2 or more levels in the long run?

5. Will conferences like the A10 and other mid-majors become more geographical based because of cost increases propped up by NIL?

6. Could you see future of mid major conferences be based on having Football AND Basketball? Whereas the Basketball only Schools would merge together into separate conferences? Teams from the A10 and Colonial might merge into one conference that includes Football and Basketball. Thoughts?

7. Do you think NIL money is incremental to players? Or were they just getting the money anyway under the table?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It seems a lot of URI players are linking up with the Red Cross.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys the podcast is Tuesday at 11 am. The guy I interviewed is high level and changed the way I thought who was and will be pulling the NIL levers.

Also I have some perspective on what could have happened with Ish Leggett in the transfer portal/NIL.

Stay tuned.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our collective isn't nearly active enough. We've got some heavy hitters on the board but radio silence from them outside of the occasional player tweeting about a partnership. Looking at how UMass' collective is doing things it's time for our collective to start flexing some muscles and get out in the public
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

First example I've seen of a team going over the 13 player limit because of NIL will pay for the 14th player to go to school.. There will be many more.This is crazy.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago First example I've seen of a team going over the 13 player limit because of NIL will pay for the 14th player to go to school.. There will be many more.This is crazy.

Yep, I knew this was going to happen.

Even Ledlum had said he would consider going to a school that was maxed out on scholarships if the NIL deal was good enough.

Not surprising, the NCAA really screwed this up.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I love NIL and the transfer portal! College athletics is great! It’s much better than the pros! Said no one in their right mind. Now I’m not saying the old system was great, but this is ridiculous and a 180 degree turn. There has to be something reasonable between this and where we were.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 9 months ago I love NIL and the transfer portal! College athletics is great! It’s much better than the pros! Said no one in their right mind. Now I’m not saying the old system was great, but this is ridiculous and a 180 degree turn. There has to be something reasonable between this and where we were.
You would think so RIF, but the rocket scientists in the NCAA weren't able to figure it out.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Here it is guys. I asked the beat writer if players play the media.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Govt getting involved good or bad I do not know.......

Dan Murphy ESPN Staff Writer
One paragraph out of the Pass Act

The senators also suggest making it against federal law for a college athlete to transfer without sitting out a year until he or she has used at least three years of their college eligibility -- except for extreme circumstances, such as the death of a family member. Coaches and athletic directors have complained during the past year that the combination of NIL money and a relatively new NCAA rule that allows players to transfer without penalty has made it difficult to maintain a steady roster.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

The next step will be a decision by the courts to pass legislation on revenue sharing or employee status. The Supreme Court is a misnomer in term of passing NIL legislation. It was California that started this whole thing with legislation.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Impact of:
  • NIL
  • Portal
  • Covid Extra Year

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... prospects/
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Basically discusses what I said on the recruiting page about my concerns about building your foundation with freshmen…going the way of the dodo bird. I would love to see some regulations aimed at encouraging players to stay and not portal.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 9 months ago Basically discusses what I said on the recruiting page about my concerns about building your foundation with freshmen…going the way of the dodo bird. I would love to see some regulations aimed at encouraging players to stay and not portal.
But until then...the school GM's need to be on the ready, scouring the waiver, er portal wire
0 x