Rory playing at the U20 Euros

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Rory playing at the U20 Euros

Unread post by Dino611 »

As we all know Rory will be playing for Great Britain at the U20 FIBA World Cup, which starts today, their first game is versus Austria (kinda shocked Fuchs isn’t playing for his home country) at 3 PM EST, YouTube link is posted below where they will livestream the games

http://youtube.com/FIBA
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Rory playing at the U20 Euros

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dino611 wrote: 9 months ago As we all know Rory will be playing for Great Britain at the U20 FIBA World Cup, which starts today, their first game is versus Austria (kinda shocked Fuchs isn’t playing for his home country) at 3 PM EST, YouTube link is posted below where they will livestream the games

I wonder if it was a mutual decision with the coaching staff? Already arrived late on campus relative to the rest of the team.

Not sure if there’s a summer break + when it starts
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 9 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 9 months ago As we all know Rory will be playing for Great Britain at the U20 FIBA World Cup, which starts today, their first game is versus Austria (kinda shocked Fuchs isn’t playing for his home country) at 3 PM EST, YouTube link is posted below where they will livestream the games

I wonder if it was a mutual decision with the coaching staff? Already arrived late on campus relative to the rest of the team.

Not sure if there’s a summer break + when it starts
Kids are all home right now for the next week.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Anyone else part of the 1000 people watching the live stream or am I the only one?

At the half he is shooting poorly at 1 for 9 & 0 for 5 from 3. Get these bad shooting games out of the system before November.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rory definitely looks a little bigger
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

spookydog wrote: 9 months ago Anyone else part of the 1000 people watching the live stream or am I the only one?

At the half he is shooting poorly at 1 for 9 & 0 for 5 from 3. Get these bad shooting games out of the system before November.
Not going to get worked up or concerned over one game. But his path to playing time on this team is definitely shooting.

Going to be tough to get minutes potentially otherwise. Too many other true big men who can bang the glass
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rory looked quicker and stronger and improved on the defensive end. He was ice-cold on the offensive end for the most part.
Last edited by steveystuds06 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rory finished 3-15 FG's and 2-11 from 3

Shots looked good leaving his hand just didn't drop
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also with a +14
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago Rory finished 3-15 FG's and 2-11 from 3

Keaney Blue in a nutshell
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RAMFAN wrote: 9 months ago

……he must need a visit from the KB in house shot doctor
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That is unfortunately not what we need. We better have better shooters than that this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 9 months ago
RAMFAN wrote: 9 months ago

……he must need a visit from the KB in house shot doctor
we need players who don't need the KB in-house shot Doctor
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So he shot 25% from 2 and 18% from 3. That is some horrific stats from that game.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That's disheartening.... because that's what I thought everytime he shot and missed last year....oh, awesome form, looks good...he just needs to make one or two, then he'll be on a roll.

What the world needs now...is Four McGlynn....

ETA...although, he was playing with a weird ball and no announcer (just weird, almost creeper-like with the no announcer) video.... maybe he gets a pass
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

This is why Green likely not getting the waiver sucks because Rory will likely be up and down. Green is a consistent 3 pt shooter, which this team really needs.

Rory did shoot 47% from 3 in his last 10 games, so he has proven that he can shoot well in a stretch of games. I'm not going to overreact from a FIBA game.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago This is why Green likely not getting the waiver sucks because Rory will likely be up and down. Green is a consistent 3 pt shooter, which this team really needs.

Rory did shoot 47% from 3 in his last 10 games, so he has proven that he can shoot well in a stretch of games. I'm not going to overreact from a FIBA game.
How is he likely not getting the waiver?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago So he shot 25% from 2 and 18% from 3. That is some horrific stats from that game.
Yeah I don’t mind him taking those cuz that’s what he’s supposed to do but he’s going to need to make them @ Rhody for his path to playing time
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago

That's disheartening.... because that's what I thought everytime he shot and missed last year....oh, awesome form, looks good...he just needs to make one or two, then he'll be on a roll.

What the world needs now...is Four McGlynn....

ETA...although, he was playing with a weird ball and no announcer (just weird, almost creeper-like with the no announcer) video.... maybe he gets a pass
It’s 1 game, he gets a pass. The coach obviously had no issue with him jacking up 15 shots and kept him in after being 1-9 in the first half.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

https://m.youtube.com/live/u37jSQpv7HE?feature=share

Playing right now. Looks very good defensively.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago https://m.youtube.com/live/u37jSQpv7HE?feature=share

Playing right now. Looks very good defensively.
That’s the biggest thing I noticed too. He looks much better on that end. Great sign
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Finished with 7 points on 3-11 shooting (1-7 from three). Now a combined 6-26 from the field and 3-18 from three.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 9 months ago Finished with 7 points on 3-11 shooting (1-7 from three). Now a combined 6-26 from the field and 3-18 from three.
And a free throw brick
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well I watched that whole game and...

Rory looks like he understands basketball better and is physically better than he was a few months ago.

Positives end there!

Zero athleticism, can't dribble, won't drive to the hoop and didn't actually roll to the basket until late in the second half where he was able to make a wide open lay up.

Is one three looked good in transition but he bricked a free throw, forced a few threes and missed two or three wide open ones.

Pretty much if you guard him hard man to man like Portugal did he is completely useless. Its nice that he extended the defense, but he'll just dump it off to somebody.

Hopefully he gets hot and makes his shots later on, but man that one was rough...I mean no one on his team can dribble. GB was HORRIBLE. All Portugal did was press and GB just kept turning the ball over in worse ways than we've seen here.

If Rory isn't particularly hot from three he won't see the floor here. I think he gets recruited over, if he hasn't already.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya I don’t think anyone is expecting Rory to be a huge piece next year. He is what he is. But it is good that’s he’s improved defensively because he will get hot some games and if he can at least hold his own on that end he’ll be able to stay on the floor.

We may need to go smaller at the 4 with guys like Zek and Weston. If you think Rory is gonna have trouble defending 4s wait until you see Fuchs try to defend that position. Green getting a waiver would make things much easier.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Ya I don’t think anyone is expecting Rory to be a huge piece next year. He is what he is. But it is good that’s he’s improved defensively because he will get hot some games and if he can at least hold his own on that end he’ll be able to stay on the floor.

We may need to go smaller at the 4 with guys like Zek and Weston. If you think Rory is gonna have trouble defending 4s wait until you see Fuchs try to defend that position. Green getting a waiver would make things much easier.
Fuchs will easily be better than Rory

Hes way more athletic
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Ya I don’t think anyone is expecting Rory to be a huge piece next year. He is what he is. But it is good that’s he’s improved defensively because he will get hot some games and if he can at least hold his own on that end he’ll be able to stay on the floor.

Fuchs will easily be better than Rory

Hes way more athletic
I'm not saying he's worse than Rory; I'm saying they both are 4s that have trouble defending 4s.

Fuchs has more potential than Rory, but he will need some time. Although he looked incredibly skilled and talented on the offensive end, he's a little slow and flat-footed on the defensive end against agile wings/forwards. Many times a simple pump fake would get Fuchs in the air, or a quick first step would lead to an easy layup. Now he did abuse them on the offensive end as well, so it wasn't all bad, but I'm just being honest from what I saw. He did a better job battling against the traditional bigs when they posted up. He's very strong. Where he had issues was defending on the perimeter. That's my worry.

The good news is he's young, and our staff will work on this. Just like they did for Rory, who is clearly a better defender now.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago Well I watched that whole game and...

Rory looks like he understands basketball better and is physically better than he was a few months ago.

Positives end there!

Zero athleticism, can't dribble, won't drive to the hoop and didn't actually roll to the basket until late in the second half where he was able to make a wide open lay up.

Is one three looked good in transition but he bricked a free throw, forced a few threes and missed two or three wide open ones.

Pretty much if you guard him hard man to man like Portugal did he is completely useless. Its nice that he extended the defense, but he'll just dump it off to somebody.

Hopefully he gets hot and makes his shots later on, but man that one was rough...I mean no one on his team can dribble. GB was HORRIBLE. All Portugal did was press and GB just kept turning the ball over in worse ways than we've seen here.

If Rory isn't particularly hot from three he won't see the floor here. I think he gets recruited over, if he hasn't already.
Yeah from the sounds of it I’m guessing he’s not a rotation player for us @ the beginning , if he is maybe 9th or 10th man ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote: 9 months ago

Positives end there!

Yeah from the sounds of it I’m guessing he’s not a rotation player for us @ the beginning , if he is maybe 9th or 10th man ??
Maybe he will or maybe he won’t be in the rotation but it won’t have anything to do with how he shot it over two days in July on the other side of the planet, or a poster’s scouting report from watching the game on their laptop. I’d say the same thing if he had played two great games over there.

It’s cool that he’s playing, it’ll be a fun experience for him to represent his country but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock into it for purposes of projecting our roster or rotation.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 9 months ago

Positives end there!

Well we know he can get hot from three. If he comes out bricking he won't play much, but on a good day he'll be useful.

Now he did force more shots in this game than he will here. Archie will do a better job of getting him open and we will have more weapons than his U20 GB team. I do like Rory's passing, but if he can be a consistent shooter then he'll be a factor. If he continues to struggle I dont see him getting much PT.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

From what I saw of the game, the British U20 team looked like 5 guys who just met in the parking lot before the game. No real game plan.

They had Rory playing 2-guard. Rory is not a guard. At any level.

The big thing I saw that is discouraging is the running around for the sake of running around that really hasn't stopped since the first day he showed up. It's the reason why Kortright ran him over in the Quinnipiac game. Rory never has his feet set on the ground, ever, at any point in the game. There is no way he could take a charge under the basket, he would have to actually stop for once and not be a dog chasing cars for 3 seconds long enough to have his feet planted. There is no sense of him ever putting his body between a player with the ball and the hoop, it will automatically result him him getting fouled and the other player either getting two shots or an and-one.

Someone really ought to show him the virtue of deliberate, calculated movement and playing within oneself.

It's not as bad as many of the players who got let go, but it's still a remnant of last year's team that I hope doesn't carry over to this year's.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Positives end there!

He was playing the 2. He will not be asked to dribble, create his own shot, or take a shot off a screen. He’s a spot shooter - there’s a reason for the discrepancy between what he’s doing here and what he’ll be asked to do for us.

I didn’t see the whole game but he didn’t get many shots from a set position that he missed. I get that a lot of people on the board didn’t play or watch a lot of basketball that happens outside of Kingston, but this game is like watching Tom Brady play wideout and complaining that he can’t run a route. Chill out.

The “these guys just met in the parking lot” argument is valid. They literally just got together like a week ago.

Fuchs is an offensive monster and a big body, but he can’t stay with stretch 4’s in the A10. He’ll be a 4 in a big body lineup and splitting at the 5 when there’s an athletic 4 on the other team.

I enjoy the race to find anything negative with this team for whatever reason. It’s like everyone is getting their equilibriums balanced on the complete other side since for some reason everyone was looking for excuses to say why we were going to be good under Dave Cox.

If Green doesn’t get a waiver and we start Rory at the 4 we’ll be fine. He’s going to be the 4th scoring option on offense, will be getting more open looks, and defense is more important in Archie’s system.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago

Positives end there!

He was playing the 2. He will not be asked to dribble, create his own shot, or take a shot off a screen. He’s a spot shooter - there’s a reason for the discrepancy between what he’s doing here and what he’ll be asked to do for us.

I didn’t see the whole game but he didn’t get many shots from a set position that he missed. I get that a lot of people on the board didn’t play or watch a lot of basketball that happens outside of Kingston, but this game is like watching Tom Brady play wideout and complaining that he can’t run a route. Chill out.

The “these guys just met in the parking lot” argument is valid. They literally just got together like a week ago.

Fuchs is an offensive monster and a big body, but he can’t stay with stretch 4’s in the A10. He’ll be a 4 in a big body lineup and splitting at the 5 when there’s an athletic 4 on the other team.

I enjoy the race to find anything negative with this team for whatever reason. It’s like everyone is getting their equilibriums balanced on the complete other side since for some reason everyone was looking for excuses to say why we were going to be good under Dave Cox.

If Green doesn’t get a waiver and we start Rory at the 4 we’ll be fine. He’s going to be the 4th scoring option on offense, will be getting more open looks, and defense is more important in Archie’s system.
This is the only thing I've been negative about and he definitely wasn't playing the two lol.

He set picks at the top of the key and rolled back behind the three point line, very similar to what we have had him do here. But yeah his role in this game was larger than what he will have here and he will likely have more open looks in our offense.

He's certainly not comfortable doing much other than catching and shooting while he's wide open.

I hope he can start hitting some shots so he can leave that tournament on a high note. I think most players typically get better after playing in these events.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago He set picks at the top of the key and rolled back behind the three point line, very similar to what we have had him do here. But yeah his role in this game was larger than what he will have here and he will likely have more open looks in our offense.
Yeah, I did notice that. It was very familiar. He's just not very good at it, is all. He spends so much time worrying about setting 2-3 picks in succession that he can't concentrate on anything else. All those picks barely alter the course of his defender. He sets one, then another, then another, they stop for a split second, and he then separates and tries to catch a rushed pass one-handed with his finger tips, over his shoulder, like Peyton Manning is over throwing him down the sideline. He's never in a position to do much of anything on offense. Remember that saying, jack of all trades, master of none? That's him.

They should just tell him. All we need you to do, is when you go in, hang out on the perimeter, be ready to receive a pass and put it up, if you are wide open. That's what you're here for: shooting the ball, and not turning it over. On Defense, go 30-second-frenzy or whatever it is you are doing out there, Lord of the Dance, so long as it is within the confines of the defense and you are concentrating on good positioning for rebounds. Don't try to stop anyone driving to the basket because you're just not very good at it, you don't commit to holding a spot on the floor, and you're just going to end up giving the other team extra points and fouling out. Not to mention, watching you back pedal all the way to the baseline, belly to belly, is ridiculous to watch.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm just going to guess, based on effort put into post....Rory is not cru's favorite player....
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

on the contrary.

I want him to do well, he just has a long way to go, is all. I thought by this time, some of these things would have sorted themselves out, but he doesn't appear to be any different than a year ago. Like, you can't fix the problem, if you don't see a problem.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 9 months ago on the contrary.

I want him to do well, he just has a long way to go, is all. I thought by this time, some of these things would have sorted themselves out, but he doesn't appear to be any different than a year ago. Like, you can't fix the problem, if you don't see a problem.
I disagree that he looks the same. He without question has improved his defense, speed, and strength. My guess is that was Archie’s main focus this off-season because he was getting abused on the defensive end last year. He still has plenty to improve on and needs to be more consistent hitting the 3 though,
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Great Britain lost to Luxembourg

Shots didn't drop again for Rory

1-6 from three some were heavily contested

Had one good post up that led to a lay up

But dang...they lost to Luxembourg lol the English are exceptionally awful at basketball
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yup he was awful on the offensive end. Didn’t hit a thing.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Yup he was awful on the offensive end. Didn’t hit a thing.
Probably one more game left tomorrow against Hungary

Make some damn shots Rory!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Yup he was awful on the offensive end. Didn’t hit a thing.

I am more concerned about him making shots here.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

My biggest concern with Rory was his foot speed. I haven’t watched him playing for GB this week but Stevey commented that his foot speed has improved so, that is a good thing. We need him to improve on the defensive end and not be a liability or his playing time will be sporadic.

His inconsistent 3 point shot making is concerning but he has good form. As a result, I think his shot will come around and Archie and staff will put him in position to get open looks in our offensive scheme.

We definitely need him to be a solid 3 point threat for this version of Rhody to hit its full potential on offense so I am hoping the consistency comes around.

Appreciate everyone’s input from watching him play.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

Well duh

People can dismiss the importance of this FIBA tournament all they want, but shooting 4-24 from 3 against relatively weak competition doesn't inspire much optimism and you gotta think about how much these tournaments can impact someone's confidence. It's extremely important for a shooter to have confidence.

If he were out there raining threes he would no doubt return to Kingston feeling himself a lot more.

Not saying his performance is the be all end all, but it's silly to say him being ice cold for three or four days straight is completely irrelevant to how he will project next season, especially because he was so streaky last year.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago My biggest concern with Rory was his foot speed. I haven’t watched him playing for GB this week but Stevey commented that his foot speed has improved so, that is a good thing. We need him to improve on the defensive end and not be a liability or his playing time will be sporadic.

His inconsistent 3 point shot making is concerning but he has good form. As a result, I think his shot will come around and Archie and staff will put him in position to get open looks in our offensive scheme.

We definitely need him to be a solid 3 point threat for this version of Rhody to hit its full potential on offense so I am hoping the consistency comes around.

Appreciate everyone’s input from watching him play.
If he is WIDE open I like his chances. He just needs to make most of those, then he is valuable. And if people close out on him hard go find the open man Rory. Find a cutting House or something.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well duh

People can dismiss the importance of this FIBA tournament all they want, but shooting 4-24 from 3 against relatively weak competition doesn't inspire much optimism and you gotta think about how much these tournaments can impact someone's confidence. It's extremely important for a shooter to have confidence.

If he were out there raining threes he would no doubt return to Kingston feeling himself a lot more.

Not saying his performance is the be all end all, but it's silly to say him being ice cold for three or four days straight is completely irrelevant to how he will project next season, especially because he was so streaky last year.
I said that tongue-n-cheek, duh. ;)

I think he will be okay and with his added strength we may also see improvement in his inside game.

I think if Archie didn't see his upside and fit, he would have been in the portal this off-season.

He did show some flashes at the end of last season and his shot falling, so yeah, I am not so negative on him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He averaged 10 minutes a game last year and averaged 2.5 pts/game. I'm not seeing him being a big contributor next year.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago He averaged 10 minutes a game last year and averaged 2.5 pts/game. I'm not seeing him being a big contributor next year.
To be fair Blueram, he did see the floor much more towards the end of the season, and we did see some offensive flashes.
He also was only a true freshman from England who played in Canada.
Sometimes it does take time especially for bigger players to develop their game Div. 1.

Besides if Green isn't eligible, he will be counted on to contribute.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Get Ray Allen on this case.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago He averaged 10 minutes a game last year and averaged 2.5 pts/game. I'm not seeing him being a big contributor next year.
To be fair Blueram, he did see the floor much more towards the end of the season, and we did see some offensive flashes.
He also was only a true freshman from England who played in Canada.
Sometimes it does take time especially for bigger players to develop their game Div. 1.

Besides if Green isn't eligible, he will be counted on to contribute.
I was told this kid is a 3pt specialist. Haven't seen it yet.
0 x