'24 SF Tyonne Farrell (URI signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

'24 SF Tyonne Farrell (URI signed LOI)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I feel like this kid could blow up soon. I hope we land him.

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: '24 Tyonne Farrell

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

6-6”, has length for D, a nice looking shot, can handle the ball and pass from what I’ve watched so far. Good jumping ability.

I really like what I see so far.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Tyonne Farrell
Wing / Forward
HT: 6’6”

Offers:
URI
DePaul
Towson
MSM
UMBC
Nicholls

Rankings: 3* (but unranked on most sites)

Stevey has the highlights for him above
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

5 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

6 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 10 months ago I feel like this kid could blow up soon. I hope we land him.

We landed him!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice!!! Love to see it!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Glad we landed him, good start to 24-25.

No problem with the staff over-signing, the #'s will work out.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I enjoyed watching him at peach jam.

What I saw every second of each game was his passion and motor. He worked his ass off on both ends of the floor. He's a FREAK athlete. He had a couple of highlight blocks and dunks where he was way above the rim. His ability to attack and finish is his best weapon right now. He did a good job of posting up the smaller wings and getting a good position. He's a much better passer than I expected. He defended a center in one game and the starting 2 guard the next. He was very vocal on the court. Felt like the leader of the team, just like Hammond. Our staff is clearly looking for a certain type of player.

His shot needs to keep improving. The first time I saw him months ago, it wasn't pleasant. But it looked a lot better at Peach Jam. The game seemed to slow down for him, and he took smarter shots. His midrange has a lot of potential. He has a nice first step and handle, but he goes right every single time. He has to work on his left. If a kid that can defend and fly like him were draining 3s he would be a top-100 recruit, so he's obviously going to have some weaknesses!

The bottom line is he's got plenty of upside. I think he proved he could play with the best at peach jam. My guess is he will get minutes as one of those Lamonte Ulmer type of players. He's going to work his ass off, he's going to lock dudes up, and he's going to have the Ryan Center losing their minds with some of his blocks and dunks. The question is can he develop his offensive game enough to be a legit A10 starter? We shall see.

In one of the interviews I watched, he talked about how KJ works harder than any other assistant recruiting him. Kj sent him clips and plays on how they will incorporate him into the team daily. KJ is a monster. We are very, very lucky to have him.

Go Rhody!
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like a good pickup. looking forward to see how Archie makes this team into a contender soon!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago
Let’s gooooooooooooooo

Another excellent job by the staff!
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Awesome - great news
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wow, very nice. Very impressive. Wasn't expecting this at all.

Big time assist to Ben Hammond. First of many, I'm sure.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Why do I get the feeling we might have just landed our own Obi Toppin here?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 9 months ago Why do I get the feeling we might have just landed our own Obi Toppin here?
Not sure....maybe....

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: '24 SF Tyonne Farrell (URI verbal)

Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

Rhode Island basketball gets another commitment. See who will join in the 2024-25 season.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 422050007/
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 9 months ago Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

Rhode Island basketball gets another commitment. See who will join in the 2024-25 season.

As the article points out our wing position going forward will be loaded with depth and competition, currently adding Farrell to the mix of Weston, Zek, and Green.
Maybe a little logjam there and wonder how things will pan out.
Be interesting to see which players will emerge as the leaders of that group.

Actually, the same can be said of the other positions also.

I like the way our staff is constructing our roster, working hard at improving our talent level and leaving no stones unturned, along with keeping all the scholarships filled.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago
CamsRams wrote: 9 months ago Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

As the article points out our wing position going forward will be loaded with depth and competition, currently adding Farrell to the mix of Weston, Zek, and Green.

I like the way our staff is constructing our roster, working hard at improving our talent level and leaving no stones unturned, along with keeping all the scholarships filled.
Weston, Zek, and Green are all on the older side - but the nice thing about Farrell is he looks to be versatile enough to play 2-4.

You can't have enough depth and skill. This kid and Hammond are the EC/Hass of the next generation.

Tough to project out long term in this day and age, but those 2 plus Dubsky/Estevez/Foumena is a really tough team in a couple of years.

Again, I think it just shows that everyone who's been, let's just say "less than impressed" with Archie or our recruiting or anything can go and kick rocks. Trust it.

The future is bright again.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago

Weston, Zek, and Green are all on the older side - but the nice thing about Farrell is he looks to be versatile enough to play 2-4.

You can't have enough depth and skill. This kid and Hammond are the EC/Hass of the next generation.

Tough to project out long term in this day and age, but those 2 plus Dubsky/Estevez/Foumena is a really tough team in a couple of years.

Again, I think it just shows that everyone who's been, let's just say "less than impressed" with Archie or our recruiting or anything can go and kick rocks. Trust it.

Yes Blue Man, I like the versatility of some of our players giving the roster flexibility on how they are used.
Yeah, you can't have enough depth and skill.

You did leave out Fuchs, who Archie seems to be very high on, when you mentioned our future.
Maybe even add Ways to that list.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yes Blue Man, I like the versatility of some of our players giving the roster flexibility on how they are used.

You did leave out Fuchs, who Archie seems to be very high on, when you mentioned our future.
Fuchs is a monster, but I think he'll be a one-dimensional monster. Foumena is a complete player, Fuchs is an offensive beast and can get boards - but will be limited defensively outside of the low post. If the team is similarly constructed 3 years from now, I'd be very surprised if that's not the starting lineup - unless we have some other top 50 kid who comes in and starts right away.

Hammond will be our starting PG from his sophomore year until graduation (I hope). He and Farrell are the "program changers" that a lot of people had been asking to see. Same EC/Hass vibes with these two in terms of getting them early and having them blow up to the point where people say "wow, why did they go to URI and not some P5?"
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fuchs is a monster, but I think he'll be a one-dimensional monster. Foumena is a complete player, Fuchs is an offensive beast and can get boards - but will be limited defensively outside of the low post. If the team is similarly constructed 3 years from now, I'd be very surprised if that's not the starting lineup - unless we have some other top 50 kid who comes in and starts right away.

Hammond will be our starting PG from his sophomore year until graduation (I hope). He and Farrell are the "program changers" that a lot of people had been asking to see. Same EC/Hass vibes with these two in terms of getting them early and having them blow up to the point where people say "wow, why did they go to URI and not some P5?"
Agree about Fuchs, but Cam and Ways can play any of the guard positions, also the wings can be used in various ways.

Jumping ahead of ourselves, down the road (and if they stick around) maybe Fuchs and Foumena can play together up front.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The pieces all look like they’ll fit. Overall the video clips look great and the scouting is very positive. Repeating my cautious optimism, got my tix, I’ll be watching carefully hoping for the predicted ( and expected) rapid turnaround.

Go Rhody
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We’re on our way back
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m curious how this “over-recruiting “ will shake out. Given how easy it is to transfer a coach nowadays is always recruiting even for “full” classes. This may be the future unless rules change again.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No doubt this is definitely a positive sign and the future looks so bright , in this day and age players will still come and go with the portal but Arch is positioning us to have a solid core going forward which should keep us toward the top of the conference on a continuing basis , the key is to get good and stay good
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tough to say Hammond and Farrell are the next EC and Hassan.

Currently, they both aren’t ranked as high / have the P6 offers that EC and Hassan had. Also don’t play the same positions.

Those are two Rhody legends and HOFers who led some of the best teams this school has ever seen.

These two do seem higher regarded recruits than we’ve seen the last couple years but I can’t put them at an EC/Hassan level.

Now hopefully these two do have careers like EC and Hassan, but that’s quite the expectation to put on kids who haven’t even started their senior year of high school yet.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago

Currently, they both aren’t ranked as high / have the P6 offers that EC and Hassan had. Also don’t play the same positions.

Those are two Rhody legends and HOFers who led some of the best teams this school has ever seen.

These two do seem higher regarded recruits than we’ve seen the last couple years but I can’t put them at an EC/Hassan level.

Now hopefully these two do have careers like EC and Hassan, but that’s quite the expectation to put on kids who haven’t even started their senior year of high school yet.
Please stop being so measured and reasonable with your comments. You're making too much sense.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yes, thank you - I am aware they play different positions lol. This is more in the "program changing" foundation for the team to come.

My main point being we are getting these guys significantly earlier in the cycle than we did EC or Hass. Getting these kids around Peach Jam is huge. These are the kids that blow up and wind up at a high P5 school. That's a resounding affirmation of Archie/KJ's talent identification and ability to close recruits. Something we had been missing in the last 4-5 recruiting cycles.

Both EC and Hass were 3 stars that were late bloomers, like Farrell and Hammond. I am not putting "all time URI HOF" at their feet, but I am putting "program changing recruit building blocks" on them now.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I would add one caveat to that…as long as they are good AND stay. Players can only be program changing if they stay long enough for team success, not just long enough to prove themselves and get a better offer. I hope they are program changing foundational players. Sadly I’m concerned about relying on freshman recruits to be that in this environment.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 9 months ago I would add one caveat to that…as long as they are good AND stay. Players can only be program changing if they stay long enough for team success, not just long enough to prove themselves and get a better offer. I hope they are program changing foundational players. Sadly I’m concerned about relying on freshman recruits to be that in this environment.
Exactly RIF.

First thing is to get good players and then of course try and retain your core group.
That is the only way we can maintain a level of success.

Having a major roster overhaul every season isn't going to cut it.
Yeah, understanding there will always be some turnover, but hopefully that will be limited to the fringe players.

I trust that our staff is well aware of what needs to be done to accomplish our goals and then sustain it.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 9 months ago I would add one caveat to that…as long as they are good AND stay. Players can only be program changing if they stay long enough for team success, not just long enough to prove themselves and get a better offer. I hope they are program changing foundational players. Sadly I’m concerned about relying on freshman recruits to be that in this environment.
Exactly RIF.

First thing is to get good players and then of course try and retain your core group.
That is the only way we can maintain a level of success.

Having a major roster overhaul every season isn't going to cut it.
Yeah, understanding there will always be some turnover, but hopefully that will be limited to the fringe players.

I trust that our staff is well aware of what needs to be done to accomplish our goals and then sustain it.
I'm betting that these guys with the right support and a team that can win will stay.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 9 months ago

Please stop being so measured and reasonable with your comments. You're making too much sense.
Lol @ PMMM and Rhody 15

We should do a poll on whose the most smug out of the two?

Or maybe they can have a competition 🤣
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago

Lol @ PMMM and Rhody 15

My post was about the least smug thing I could have typed out. Took zero digs at Blue Man, didn’t call these two recruits busts/overrated, wasn’t condescending, etc etc.

But I get it, people will try and get pissy at whatever I post.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Lol @ PMMM and Rhody 15

My post was about the least smug thing I could have typed out. Took zero digs at Blue Man, didn’t call these two recruits busts/overrated, wasn’t condescending, etc etc.

But you say that is a high expectation to put on them. Why is it a high expectation? I mean, that is what the fan base expects, so why wouldn't we put it on the players? If they can't handle it, then step aside.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 9 months ago

Lol @ PMMM and Rhody 15

But you say that is a high expectation to put on them. Why is it a high expectation? I mean, that is what the fan base expects, so why wouldn't we put it on the players? If they can't handle it, then step aside.
…Why is it a high expectation to compare these recruits to future HOFers and some of the best players the school has ever had? How much higher can you get than that?

I’m not saying it’s bad or you shouldn’t have it, but if you can’t understand comparing them to EC and Hassan is a high expectation then I don’t know what to tell you.

Then again, you think we’re a premier program in America and expect Sweet 16s every season.
0 x
Go Rhody
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

…Why is it a high expectation to compare these recruits to future HOFers and some of the best players the school has ever had? How much higher can you get than that?

I’m not saying it’s bad or you shouldn’t have it, but if you can’t understand comparing them to EC and Hassan is a high expectation then I don’t know what to tell you.

Then again, you think we’re a premier program in America and expect Sweet 16s every season.
I don't think too many posters if any "think we're premier program in America and expect Sweet 16s every season" . But a lot of us dream and hope for a sweet 16 every year even if we know its the longest of long shots. Its called being a fan and every new year gives new hope. Dreaming beats reality most of the time so why not dream some. Try having some optimism you might actually enjoy it.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 9 months ago

I don't think too many posters if any "think we're premier program in America and expect Sweet 16s every season" . But a lot of us dream and hope for a sweet 16 every year even if we know its the longest of long shots. Its called being a fan and every new year gives new hope. Dreaming beats reality most of the time so why not dream some. Try having some optimism you might actually enjoy it.
I’ve been hoping for another Sweet 16 since I was 7 watching us lose to Stanford.

Difference is, I don’t expect it when some people here do expect it. To each is own.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If there is a time to have bigger expectations, it should be with this coaching staff. We, without question, should expect Archie to land a couple of program-changing players like EC and Hass. If he hasn't found those players by the '24 class, I will have serious doubts. Now I think Hammond is a stud, and Farrell could be a great player, but he's not there yet.

Being in the hunt for a bid most seasons is my goal. A team like VCU and Dayton. I think we can get there.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree, Stevey. Being in the hunt consistently for a bid is doable with this staff in this conference. I think we will get to that point then, hopefully the coaching staff stays mostly intact to sustain it for an extended time.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago If there is a time to have bigger expectations, it should be with this coaching staff. We, without question, should expect Archie to land a couple of program-changing players like EC and Hass. If he hasn't found those players by the '24 class, I will have serious doubts. Now I think Hammond is a stud, and Farrell could be a great player, but he's not there yet.

Being in the hunt for a bid most seasons is my goal. A team like VCU and Dayton. I think we can get there.
I do agree we should expect them to land those types of players yes, I’m just a bit hesitant to anoint these guys as program changers in this day and age of the portal and NIL.
1 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You can’t anoint any freshman that unless you are willing to pay the going rate each season. They are a free agents every year which makes this way worse than the pros.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yup obviously, in this day and age, players can and will leave. I think we all know that. Players could also get injured, decommit, or not even show up like Ant. Anything can happen....

As of right now, they are Rams, so when people mention the potential of Hammond and Farrell as cornerstone-type players, it hinges on the assumption that they will remain with the team...

I don't care if it's Hammond, Fuchs, Farrell, Cam, Connor, etc. We need a couple of these guys to be the real deal, like EC Hass JT.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Yup obviously, in this day and age, players can and will leave. I think we all know that. Players could also get injured, decommit, or not even show up like Ant. Anything can happen....

As of right now, they are Rams, so when people mention the potential of Hammond and Farrell as cornerstone-type players, it hinges on the assumption that they will remain with the team...

I don't care if it's Hammond, Fuchs, Farrell, Cam, Connor, etc. We need a couple of these guys to be the real deal, like EC Hass JT.
Exactly right - I think we have 5 or 6 guys coming who “could” be that. Need to hit on a couple.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago Yup obviously, in this day and age, players can and will leave. I think we all know that. Players could also get injured, decommit, or not even show up like Ant. Anything can happen....

Well said
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In this year and next year's class you need 2 studs, 2 other starters, 2 role players. There will be surprises who is who.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I watched about 5 games of Farrell this week, and I think he will be our best defender the second he comes here.

He was locking up some of the best players in the country. Cooper Flagg was getting so annoyed with Farrell sticking with him all game. Flagg would score on the fast break, but anytime he tried to take Farrell he had issues. I also loved that Farrell would basically single handily create shot clock violations on some possessions. He would switch on any pick and lock up their point guard, center, and wing. It didn't matter who it was. He's that good on the defensive end.

I only had time to make a video from one game. He's number 23. I highly suggest you rewatch the video a few times once you can zero in on Farrell. Watch him battle in the post, watch him close out on shooters, watch him defend 1-5. Yes, he had a few nice blocks and a big dunk, but it was the way he defended that impressed me. He's somewhat limited on the offensive end, but every championship team needs a lockdown defender, and Farrell, without question, is that. If his offense comes around, he could be special. We shall see.

I love our '24 class.

3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING