Once in 100 Year Opportunity - Think Big

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Once in 100 Year Opportunity - Think Big

Unread post by OBRAM »

This is a Once in a 100-year opportunity to build a new real stadium.
URI should not put money into Meade, and the area that is now too small, jammed in between the Ryan Center on one side and White Horn Creek on the other side, a field that is too small for soccer and really too small for football because the sidelines are jammed, and the lowest point on campus which has flooded twice in the last 20 years.
I suggest the area across from the North Parking lot, north of Meade, currently the Physical Plant area which is comprised of many buildings that are over 100 years old, and pretty ugly, and the Physical Plant facilities should be moved to a less prominent area of campus.
A new stadium with state of the art training center, football offices, and a structure that has an event area on the top floor. The stadium would be multi-purpose and could be used not only for football but concerts, soccer, and football and a Stadium that would become a go-to attraction on campus, much the same as the Ryan Center has become.
Nobody suggested over 20 years ago that Keaney Gym be fixed up, no, we built the Ryan Center. The same philosophy should be used for football.
Also, how can you use Meade for football while you are playing football, the fix-up of Meade at the same time, this will take over a year to do. URI should live up to its Motto, 'Think Big'.

Just look at some ideas, like this in Texas.
https://www.musco.com/mckinney/
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Once in 100 Year Opportunity - Think Big

Unread post by ramster »

Good idea.
Meade could be used for soccer and lacrosse
Plenty of land available.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

What is really needed is a Parking garage. Check out Bridgewater State.

Using prime land for parking cars is ridiculous.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Utopian plan would be to build a new football stadium out in the fields across from the Ryan Center and convert Meade to a full time soccer stadium utilizing the west stands connected to the arena. It would solve the issue of where to play while construction was happening. Football would not move until the new venue was complete and soccer would not move until Meade conversion done. I however do not think that URI has the necessary funds and will to make this happen.

A new football stadium could be surrounded by a vast parking area that could be easily utilized for tailgating. An outdoor facility with some concessions and restrooms outside the stadium in the parking lots would complement this tailgating area. Perhaps a pop up beer garden tent could be set up on game days.

Another long term dream would be to establish an MBTA platform on the tracks in the nw corner of campus. Could have special trains for events such as what is done at Gillette.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

OBRAM wrote: 10 months ago This is a Once in a 100-year opportunity to build a new real stadium.
URI should not put money into Meade, and the area that is now too small, jammed in between the Ryan Center on one side and White Horn Creek on the other side, a field that is too small for soccer and really too small for football because the sidelines are jammed, and the lowest point on campus which has flooded twice in the last 20 years.
I suggest the area across from the North Parking lot, north of Meade, currently the Physical Plant area which is comprised of many buildings that are over 100 years old, and pretty ugly, and the Physical Plant facilities should be moved to a less prominent area of campus.
A new stadium with state of the art training center, football offices, and a structure that has an event area on the top floor. The stadium would be multi-purpose and could be used not only for football but concerts, soccer, and football and a Stadium that would become a go-to attraction on campus, much the same as the Ryan Center has become.
Nobody suggested over 20 years ago that Keaney Gym be fixed up, no, we built the Ryan Center. The same philosophy should be used for football.
Also, how can you use Meade for football while you are playing football, the fix-up of Meade at the same time, this will take over a year to do. URI should live up to its Motto, 'Think Big'.

Just look at some ideas, like this in Texas.
https://www.musco.com/mckinney/
A. Stop trying to combine football and soccer facilities. It's a fucking stupid idea.

B. Most of that area is going to be dedicated to a new dorm.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Agree no reason the Meade footprint can’t be engineered into a more than suitable D1 football venue. We got a lot of fish to fry here upgrading multiple deplorable athletic facilities.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s not a crazy idea. But I think the current site can work. I liked the double level system, could have less of a footprint and there’s existing open space that is underutilized around the stands. Enhancing the pedestrian circulation to the stadium/site is needed too.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Co-sign!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

What are the capacity changes for the long term renovations to Meade stadium? My guess is 11-13k. I know the new 12 team playoff now has the smaller programs looking for a shot to hit it big if they can run the table, regardless of their conference. GO Rhody!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If capacity is 13,000 that would be a huge mistake, at that point do whatever you can to hit the 15,000 threshold so options are still open for the future. I say (not that I have any actual say) it’s 9,000-12,000 or 15,000. Anything between 12-14k is a wasted opportunity. Unless there is some berm or some way to get a few thousand standing room only in that reaches 15k.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I berm would be great, you can get to 15,000. At least you have room to expand. The current location of Meade is and will always be confined by the small space of that area and White Horn Creek.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OBRAM wrote: 9 months ago I berm would be great, you can get to 15,000. At least you have room to expand. The current location of Meade is and will always be confined by the small space of that area and White Horn Creek.
Someone needs to re-route that crick!
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

DEM, EPA, would never let you re-route the creek.
Is anyone in Kingston today, has White Horn flooded today? Just wondering.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

why, that confounded crick...surely there must be a creative solution to its repurposing?
0 x