An Evening w Coach Miller

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

An Evening w Coach Miller

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Just received the notice via email from Alumni Engagement.

Unfortunately we are traveling.

June 29th at Tavern on the Square, East Greenwich.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: An Evening w Coach Miller

Unread post by CamsRams »

Is there a link to sign up?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sounds like a donor level event. I didn't get an email. Must be above my pay grade.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hmmm I wish I could attend. Now I gotta know what the donor level minimum was for this.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I'm not sure if it is a "donor level event." I guess it could be ;)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here’s the link. Unfortunately I can’t go either.

https://www.alumni.uri.edu/events/an-ev ... ch-miller/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I got the email today as well. Unfortunately I have plans.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Got it and going, seemed like it was Alumni and Foundation and Athletics donors invite.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

I’m attending as well. Looking forward to it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Will be interesting to hear Coach Miller going into year 2. Interested to hear he sees as the team competitive view for the A-10.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Please share what you can for those of us unable to attend.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Anyone info Attendees?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I will let others post more but something interesting I heard was NCAA approved 5 assistant positions full time on staff.

Benny Sanders and Christian Cunningham were promoted to full time assistant positions.

URI is also looking to play neutral site games on long Island and maybe playing big east opponents
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

sevegny7 wrote: 10 months ago I will let others post more but something interesting I heard was NCAA approved 5 assistant positions full time on staff.

Benny Sanders and Christian Cunningham were promoted to full time assistant positions.

URI is also looking to play neutral site games on long Island and maybe playing big east opponents
@ UBS Arena vs St. John’s wouldn’t be bad
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The real question is will Fuchs be our Austrian savior?

Our own Conan the Barbarian on a warpath to get revenge for the killing of his family, only he exacts that revenge on the A-10?

Will he terminate the A-10?

Will he one day be the governor of Rhode Island?

Will the country be afraid to FUCH wit us???
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

PeterRamTime wrote: 10 months ago The real question is will Fuchs be our Austrian savior?

Our own Conan the Barbarian on a warpath to get revenge for the killing of his family, only he exacts that revenge on the A-10?

Will he terminate the A-10?

Will he one day be the governor of Rhode Island?

Will the country be afraid to FUCH wit us???
David looked massive. Extremely strong and looked like our most imposing big... body wise. He looked like a 25 year old not 19.

I over heard cam estevez refusing to believe david was 19 lol. He was like there is no way your not 25
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 10 months ago Anyone info Attendees?
Sure. Coach feels he the landscape of college athletics changing fast, many unknowns. Thinks this team will “surprise” many on ability to compete in the conference. Team will shoot better, play hard team defense. Likes the blend of plays that have good chance to build a solid foundation to build back the Rhody tradition. Scheduling is a constant challenge, that needs work in all areas, gotta play bigger programs at more neutral sites, build a program that is worthy of bigger programs coming here. Gotta win. Loves the support from President on down. He no longer refers to players a Freshman, Sophomores etc, introduced the players as first year, second year etc. My take away, generally this is his first year, has his type and style players. He projected confidence going forward.
8 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Practice facility opens next month. Archie definitely seems more optimistic about this year's team
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

section(105) wrote: 10 months ago
Sure. Coach feels he the landscape of college athletics changing fast, many unknowns. Thinks this team will “surprise” many on ability to compete in the conference. Team will shoot better, play hard team defense. Likes the blend of plays that have good chance to build a solid foundation to build back the Rhody tradition. Scheduling is a constant challenge, that needs work in all areas, gotta play bigger programs at more neutral sites, build a program that is worthy of bigger programs coming here. Gotta win. Loves the support from President on down. He no longer refers to players a Freshman, Sophomores etc, introduced the players as first year, second year etc. My take away, generally this is his first year, has his type and style players. He projected confidence going forward.
Sounds very promising , we’re most of the players there ??
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

reef wrote: 10 months ago
section(105) wrote: 10 months ago
Sounds very promising , we’re most of the players there ??
Every single player except rory who was competing for UK in U20 internationally
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, players looked big, physical. First year, true freshmen, looked like kids. My other take away, regarding Archie, was he used the term right after the season ending game loss, “turning the page”.
First year with all the newness was over, and he seemed determined and confidently remake the roster in his image. Honestly I was kinda down on Archie at end of season. Last nite I gained a needed wipe the slate clean. He also referred to the Rhody environment where the team and players are a visible part of the community, he mentioned in last coaching stops that was missing. He worked the room seemed pleased with the turnout and generally happy to be there, not looking for the door. Maybe it was our old friend here’72 that referred to this coming season as year one.
Archie also gave an overview of the type of practice program this summer. Moving from individual skill work to team concepts. On the short one on one with Archie, I had the sense last year coming in late was filling a roster with few of these, couple of those, toss them all in the blender as see what happens when the ball went up against Q. This year a confident plan. Go Rhody
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

He also introduced the new strength and conditioning coach. He was with archie at Indiana as an assistant strength and conditioning coach. Last several years he was at Holy cross running his own program.

Archie seemed very excited to see his work on these young men. Could tell archie really trusts the new hire.

Also archie was saying this group has a chance to surprise alot of people. He said we have a sneaky amount of experience on this group that most will over look.

He said that this group has a chance to be the team you look back at and say "That was the team that really got the program back to where we should be and headed in the right direction."

Practice facility will be fully open in next month.
11 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Have to agree with the last couple posts. Really good event last night. My key takeaways, many repeats from above:

-Archie is more confident with this group.
-He seems to be enjoying the work of rebuilding the Rhody Rams, although it's not going to be easy.
-Players all looked strong and more experienced then the last few years.
-He mentioned more experience, better shooting and more interchangeable parts on the roster.
-Said we should be one of most improved offensive teams in country.
-Practice facility opening up next month.
-New strength & conditioning coach. Selected by him.
-This years schedule should be finalized shortly and looking at year 2 and year 3 schedules. Will have to be creative with scheduling as we get better and become a more desirable opponent.
-Mentioned a game on Long Island vs Big East team. The stadium there is trying to bring more basketball games to town.
-I was a bit surprised by how engaging the players were...seems to be a good group of men.
14 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I hate to be a cynic, but looking back at last year’s offense there’s no way to go but up.
8 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some pics.

5 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 10 months ago Some pics.

My son is in there a couple times w the players. I have to say Thorr, Archie and all the players were very accommodating of signing my son’s Rams basketball.
10 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks for the updates , this sounds very promising, this will be a fun group to root for !!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 10 months ago I hate to be a cynic, but looking back at last year’s offense there’s no way to go but up.
If that didn't pop into your mind as soon as you read it, you weren't really reading it 😂
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great info from everyone! Greatly appreciated!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 10 months ago I hate to be a cynic, but looking back at last year’s offense there’s no way to go but up.
If that didn't pop into your mind as soon as you read it, you weren't really reading it 😂
It would be more impressive to get any worse offensively at this point.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://news.virginia.edu/content/best- ... ssor-knows

Didn’t know where else to put this.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 8 months ago https://news.virginia.edu/content/best- ... ssor-knows

In our old friend ‘72’s reference library?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 8 months ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 8 months ago https://news.virginia.edu/content/best- ... ssor-knows

It's a good book and well worth the read for anyone who wants to improve their game using science rather than the trial and error of trying different things randomly. It is much easier to improve when using the correct technique than to try to correct a bad technique.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Shooting is like the golf swing. There is no perfect form. And there are matchups that can work to make for a good result. Look at the difference between Rory and Jon Rahm. Completely diff swings both elite golfers. Shooting is the same. No one would teach someone to shoot like Larry Bird. And he was elite. There are some foundational elements that need to be in place but many different ways to get there. Jimmy Baron had a pure form Akeem Richmond did not. Both made a lot of threes.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 8 months ago
section(105) wrote: 8 months ago

It's a good book and well worth the read for anyone who wants to improve their game using science rather than the trial and error of trying different things randomly. It is much easier to improve when using the correct technique than to try to correct a bad technique.
When given the option, I find the "trial and error of trying different things randomly" to often be more entertaining.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It has just been brought to my attention that the UVa Physics professor cited in this article (Richard Lindgren) is a URI grad circa early 60s.
Could this be the infamous Rhody 72? Lol.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago

It has just been brought to my attention that the UVa Physics professor cited in this article (Richard Lindgren) is a URI grad circa early 60s.
Could this be the infamous Rhody 72? Lol.
Wow! How serendipitous.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The show with Tammi at the Mews on sept 20 is sold out.
IMG_1481.jpeg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 7 months ago The show with Tammi at the Mews on sept 20 is sold out.IMG_1481.jpeg
Anyone know if it will be streamed?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It was sold out about three hours after I got the email to attend. It will probably be streamed on the Varsity app assuming the app feels like working that day
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Some reporting from tonight’s coaches show:

1st, they could have doubled the attendance as there was plenty of room and only about 35-40 attendees.

Tammy seemed very pumped and optimistic about the team and upcoming season. Said they will be fast, positionless and fun to watch.

Archie gave updates on team.
Brandon is much improved, made a big jump this summer.

Rory came back with big experience playing in Europe.

Zek “good player and terrific kid” Shows up and very coachable. Double figure scorer and facilitator. Can defend 1-3.

Tyson Brown is the most improved from day 1. Has a great motor, is the best best defensive rebounder and creates a lot of action. Very hard working

Always has a great personality and spirit. He’s a lot of Fun. He will experience “ Baptism by fire” to run the teams. He needs to get stronger. He will be a Super fast fan favorite.

Jeremy has started to transform his body

Josephat is starting to move back in.

David Green has a very physical approach to his game. Ideal inside out forward

David Fuks. Experience is pro level. 6’9 248, as strong as any player. He runs the floor, rebounds, and is very mobile. “One of the best freshman in the country”

Ball movement is a theme for this season

We are Physically bigger at every position

All in all, he seems pretty excited about this group.
11 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Well stated, captured it all, thanks.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 7 months ago Some reporting from tonight’s coaches show:

1st, they could have doubled the attendance as there was plenty of room and only about 35-40 attendees.

Tammy seemed very pumped and optimistic about the team and upcoming season. Said they will be fast, positionless and fun to watch.

Zek “good player and terrific kid” Shows up and very coachable. Double figure scorer and facilitator. Can defend 1-3.

Tyson Brown is the most improved from day 1. Has a great motor, is the best best defensive rebounder and creates a lot of action. Very hard working

Always has a great personality and spirit. He’s a lot of Fun. He will experience “ Baptism by fire” to run the teams. He needs to get stronger. He will be a Super fast fan favorite.

David Fuks. Experience is pro level. 6’9 248, as strong as any player. He runs the floor, rebounds, and is very mobile. “One of the best freshman in the country”

Wow incredible reports !! Thanks
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Archie feels Fuchs will be one of the best freshmen in the country, that is a very high expectation to live up to.
I would expect him to start and play at an all-conference level or close, at least no less than making the A10 All-Rookie Team.
Last edited by Jersey77 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great notes, LTR! Thanks!

Let’s goooooooooo
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Awesome! Very similar to what he said in the Almanac interview I just posted in the rotation thread.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed as well. He's clearly excited about this team. A totally different vibe compared to last year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Anything said about Kortright, House or the freshman Cam, Connor and Ray Allen III?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad to see Tysons improvement, would guess he would start especially if Green doesn’t get a waiver

If Green gets a waiver looks like 4 starters set with him Zek Luis and Jaden , 5th starter either Tyson or Fuchs ??
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Really excited to see Fuchs play.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodyram22 wrote: 7 months ago Really excited to see Fuchs play.
Same here , nice highlights let’s see how Arch uses him looks like he has nice touch around the basket
1 x