FBS discussions

All things Rhody Rams football.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

FBS discussions

Unread post by Steve81 »

Created this thread and while this is specific, the thread is meant to be a general thread.

UMass fan, who is not loyal to the A10 and will do a preface and then finish with you guys to do what you do.
  • Penn State left the A10, UMass chose not to as was invited to the Big East but remained loyal to the A10. UConn never joined the A10 but did join the Big East. Perhaps my dislike of the A10 loyalty is rooted and these older mis steps and from the glow of basketball and the FCS national championship chose not to go to CUSA in 1998. I'm not loyal to the A10 and with the long predicted slide as I've been saying; 1 bid last year, never will be.
Then hook you guys in.
  • Look guys, I'm pro basketball and all UMass sports, just not pro A10. The slide has happened, 1 bid and not a NCAA win in many years. We hear nothing about the media contract. It was 5M in 2012 and is up this year after a 3 year extension. There has been inflation over 11 years and we are blotted to 15 members, why? How about taking the opposite approach instead of knocking the MAC, how can we make it better. There are good bones there in every sport. Women's basketball is very competitive and men's has teams like Buffalo, Akron, Ohio, Toledo etc. Let's see how the A10 does with it's media contract and perhaps instead of reacting, we take the driver's seat. We propose to the MAC and networks a partner that make sense for us. As Delaware, Stony Brook, or Rhode Island. Rhody is my favorite, but not the MAC's but let's drive the bus and see about making the MAC better. Rhode Island has a solid history of basketball, good in Football and a lot closer to Gillette they could use, and a nice rival.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: FBS discussions

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass never got an invite to the Big East which it turned down to stay in the A-10.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

All conference vet and get assurance early the team would accept. Technically what you say RF1 is correct, but is not correct as UMass did not give the Big East assurances that it would join. Find it interesting that you and people on the UMassHoops board have the same comments about an aside. Find it very interesting no one is commenting on the elephant in the room.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

81, thanks for posting the intel.

Not to overreact to the comments but I wonder if there is a building discontent towards the A10 from fans of member basketball programs. I suspect there is discontent building among fans. However, are the university administrations and conference leadership paying attention ?

I have no idea if they are paying attention and what there level of urgency is - IF they are paying attention.

Hopefully, the basketball portion of the conference bounces back in the coming years. That said, my level of confidence in a bounce back has never been as low as it is presently.

ETA: 81, I am a fan of the football program however, not as big of a fan as I am of the basketball program. I am more concerned with the future of the basketball program than the football program at this time.

Good thread. Thanks.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

I'm hoping for the best, but concerned that we expanded as defense against another raid. The issue for UMass is the A10 is a bit stronger than the MAC in men's basketball and that it is not east coast facing. Having a partner as yourselves would be great. The A10 provides about 650k in revenue for media and A10 NCAA credit share, for those without an NCAA appearance in the last 6 years. Each MAC teams receives around 2.25M. As an independent we can make up the difference with an additional P5 body bag game,1.5M. As FCS believe the difference is not as much. You beat us and now Athlons has you pre-season rated at #18. You have athletic department improvements of over 42M Meade Stadium replacement in the works. Also Gillette is close so have to ask, what about FBS. The down side is with so much money with the college playoffs expanding and media money at that level there are a lot of moving chairs. However the MAC is stable and could build other rivals as Buffalo, Ohio and others. Most importantly feel we can compete and win. After all the losing seasons that is very appealing. Post to se your thoughts and did edit the above, but need moderator approval. Not sure how long that last as 10 posts?

Don't want to knock the A10 but feel that the slide to 1 bid is a product that we are no longer the best conference for teams without FBS football. It's the new Big East and they are now taking the creme and we are taking what's left as Loyola Chicago and stretching the footprint,

Personally have started other threads and will list two. There is a generic thread on UMasshoops.com thread, which started 2 years ago.

We have a MAC fan post on the below thread, but talks about Delaware wanted to move up.
Fight Massachusetts board on 247Sports.com
https://247sports.com/college/massachus ... 41/?page=1

on CSNbbs.com MAC board thread.
Last edited by Steve81 11 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

This is from a MAC poster, BeatWestern post on our Fight MAssachusetts board about the MAC wiliness to go to 14 teams and how we are all in the mix. Think about substituting Delaware with URI as that is my wish.
I'm quite sure the MAC still has a strong desire to expand to 14 members as a condition of increasing its ESPN media rights deal set to expire in 2026-27. Of course, it will have to be with the right pair of schools that add value.

You can be sure a GOR will be attached to any renewed/increased ESPN deal, as was the case with the WKU/MTSU adds set to take place for 2023 before MTSU backed out at the last minute.

Delaware is one school to keep an eye on. They have a plan in place to upgrade their facilities and a strong desire to move up to FBS. If UMass were committed to join the MAC for all sports, that could be a pair the MAC Presidents would be very receptive to adding.

Western Kentucky could still be an option for the MAC, too. UMass could potentially pair with WKU, but again, UMass would have to commit to the MAC for all sports.

And what's Army West Point going to do? I would be very surprised with the expanded CFP now if West Point doesn't finally seek conference affiliation. That could potentially be as a replacement for SMU in the AAC, but maybe that's not an option with Navy already a member. Would the MAC be interested in West Point? I dare say yes! Then, perhaps UMass could pair with Army as affiliates in the MAC.

Let's see how these conference realignment dominoes shake out in the next 30-90 days. Only time will tell.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I for one have zero interest in URI joining the MAC. I believe my view would be shared by the majority of Rhody fans.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago I for one have zero interest in URI joining the MAC. I believe my view would be shared by the majority of Rhody fans.
Expected that view for many, but will give my view that football is worthy. That it's unwise to stay FCS if you want to take advantage of the expanded College Football Play-offs money as the NCAA credits in basketball. The jump will generate Football facilities improvements. We had substandard CAA facilities until we made the jump. We need to be successful to expand the stadium. Don't make the same mistakes and the changes in the transfer portal are massive now. Making it much easier to get to 85 scholarship players. Something we have just started to reach and that depth is needed, especially in the second half.

Money can wreck rivalries with a game of musical chair, conferences changing and teams moving for the biggest pay dirt. Like the stability of the MAC, where we can build rivals with Buffalo and Ohio, and especially if you are willing to move up and go with us. Perhaps we get the administrations dream of a football only affiliation. The point is think you should investigate all possibilities.

There is not much difference if a conference has a net rating of 10th or 20th conference. All conferences receive a tournament bid and the underdog can succeed. We have a proud history and it can continue, especially if we get better ourselves and make whatever conference better. It was UMass and Temple that made the A10 better once upon a time. As the UMass and Rhody rivalry with Oden and the MAC is a multi-bid NIT and WNIT conference. Teams move on and believe it’s our time. The new Big East permanently changed the calculus. They skimmed the crème out of the A10 and it has hurt and the need to stay has slipped away. Sans A10 conference NCAA tournament wins and bids. (When was the last time an A10 team won a NCAA tournament game? Thought St Joes won a play-in game in 2018 but their wiki does not show it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jos ... basketball)

The A10 is now a single bid conference and optimistically hope the conferences average 2 bids or 6M to go with the unequal split. Perhaps we receive a new media contract at 6M, it will not be enough to keep good coaches and investments at most A10 universities. The Big East is now king and can raid the A10 keeping it in its place as we raided the CAA.

It’s time to say goodbye A10 as the revolving door will continue and the number of full-time members will grow beyond the present ten: Butler, Charlotte, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, Villanova, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Xavier. Believe St. Louis, VCU and Dayton are on watch to be poached.

Do what you wish and best wishes. Be interesting to see if CAA football replaces Delaware. As Delaware is in the intersection of 3 Southern G5 conferences: AAC, CUSA, and SunBelt.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Richmond beat Iowa last year. Before that, in 2018 St. Bonaventure won a first four game and we beat Oklahoma. Three wins in five tournaments is certainly far off from the glory days.

I'm not sure going to the MAC is right for us, but I'm not sure staying in the A10 at this rate is either
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago Richmond beat Iowa last year. Before that, in 2018 St. Bonaventure won a first four game and we beat Oklahoma. Three wins in five tournaments is certainly far off from the glory days.

I'm not sure going to the MAC is right for us, but I'm not sure staying in the A10 at this rate is either
02, I am unsure on both as well.

81 does suggest a compelling option regarding a football only move to the MAC but I don’t think Rhody would garner the support - financially and from a statewide popularity standpoint - to move up to MAC/FBS football. Furthermore, I don’t follow college football close enough to rattle off multiple beneficial scenarios for Rhody football. Hopefully others on KB who follow football closely will add their thoughts.

I also think the A10 is in a precarious position and hopefully, there is conference wide soul searching going on about how best the A10 can sustain itself to be relevant in basketball, if possible. But like all of us here, I want what is best for Rhody.

Nothing lasts forever and I certainly don’t expect the A10 to do so as currently constituted.

Interesting discussion.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

Think being conservative, URI would benefit 1M with an all sports move and UMass is less as we do receive some CFP money. However we saw a big gain in donations year in and out by going FBS.

Each MAC teams receives around 2.25M plus 500k in NCAA credits and play one P5 game for 1.5M.
There are costs in going up with scholarships and coaches salaries but still a 1M net revenue increase. We also started charging for football parking and ticket prices went up some. One of the nice things about being FBS is scheduling and especially Army and UConn and BC is there but not to a great extent.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

This really is a great topic. We can see a potential deterioration of the A10 BB conference, what if UConn leaves the BE, do they poach Dayton or VCU? They not us are the most interesting replacements. Basketball has drove the athletic conference conversation at URI and it’s still our most popular sport, but across the nation nothing competes with football. Let’s face it it’s a better sport overall way more dramatics which really is what everyone wants. While I think we have the infrastructure in place to continue (granted we need a good coach, yes I like Miller) to win at Basketball, I think it’s time to Rally around a football program. It’s been lacking for so long, facility wise, recruiting wise, coaching wise, but we might very well have those key pieces in place at this moment in time. It’s all happening quick and why not explore the opportunity to join FBS football. Would RI get behind a team that actually decided to join the ranks of the premier football programs in our country? Maybe this is exactly what the Rhody FB program needs to finally get the backing they deserve and become the top sport at URI. It’s all crazy to think, but let’s finally think outside the box
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, I'm game.

Our AD come from UMass. Wouldn't surprise me if this is where we are headed.
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 11 months ago This really is a great topic. We can see a potential deterioration of the A10 BB conference, what if UConn leaves the BE, do they poach Dayton or VCU? They not us are the most interesting replacements. Basketball has drove the athletic conference conversation at URI and it’s still our most popular sport, but across the nation nothing competes with football. Let’s face it it’s a better sport overall way more dramatics which really is what everyone wants. While I think we have the infrastructure in place to continue (granted we need a good coach, yes I like Miller) to win at Basketball, I think it’s time to Rally around a football program. It’s been lacking for so long, facility wise, recruiting wise, coaching wise, but we might very well have those key pieces in place at this moment in time. It’s all happening quick and why not explore the opportunity to join FBS football. Would RI get behind a team that actually decided to join the ranks of the premier football programs in our country? Maybe this is exactly what the Rhody FB program needs to finally get the backing they deserve and become the top sport at URI. It’s all crazy to think, but let’s finally think outside the box
I'm sorry, but URI will never move up to FBS. 5 years ago, the program was about to drop down to the NEC and their 45 scholarship limit. The state of Rhode Island will never support the move financially. Quite frankly, it hasn't worked out for Umass. Since the move up, they've averaged 2 wins a season and are now on their 4th coach in 10 years. Draft Kings has their over/under win total for this season at 1.5. The only benefit of being in the FBS is Umass commands more for their "buy games". Power 5 teams will pay them in excess of $1.5M compared to an average of $400k for FCS opponents.

We need to continue to work towards a playoff birth and a CAA title.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 11 months ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 11 months ago This really is a great topic. We can see a potential deterioration of the A10 BB conference, what if UConn leaves the BE, do they poach Dayton or VCU? They not us are the most interesting replacements. Basketball has drove the athletic conference conversation at URI and it’s still our most popular sport, but across the nation nothing competes with football. Let’s face it it’s a better sport overall way more dramatics which really is what everyone wants. While I think we have the infrastructure in place to continue (granted we need a good coach, yes I like Miller) to win at Basketball, I think it’s time to Rally around a football program. It’s been lacking for so long, facility wise, recruiting wise, coaching wise, but we might very well have those key pieces in place at this moment in time. It’s all happening quick and why not explore the opportunity to join FBS football. Would RI get behind a team that actually decided to join the ranks of the premier football programs in our country? Maybe this is exactly what the Rhody FB program needs to finally get the backing they deserve and become the top sport at URI. It’s all crazy to think, but let’s finally think outside the box
I'm sorry, but URI will never move up to FBS. 5 years ago, the program was about to drop down to the NEC and their 45 scholarship limit. The state of Rhode Island will never support the move financially. Quite frankly, it hasn't worked out for Umass. Since the move up, they've averaged 2 wins a season and are now on their 4th coach in 10 years. Draft Kings has their over/under win total for this season at 1.5. The only benefit of being in the FBS is Umass commands more for their "buy games". Power 5 teams will pay them in excess of $1.5M compared to an average of $400k for FCS opponents.

We need to continue to work towards a playoff birth and a CAA title.
FmrRamFB1, it was over 10 years ago when the CAA started bad mouthing northern facilities and added Georgia State. UMass decided that the travel was approaching FBS travel and the success of the first Gillette game with UNH, and the chancellor's push went FBS. That left UNH, Maine, and URI on an island. Not sure if it was brinkmanship on your AD's part with the move to the NEC, but it worked. The CAA added Albany and Stony Brook and that never happened.

FBS is different as it provides more money to the program, without more institutional support. With some donation commitments, the state can do a 20 year bond. With time those donation seem to increase as in the 2019 McGuirk upgrade, wth the major component of the new Indoor Practice Facility, donations accounted for over 6M of the 18M price tag.
https://amherstwire.com/27569/campus/sp ... acilities/

FrmRamFB1, bet the farm on the spread. Teams willing to play you at home and scheduling as FBS is much better with home games as Army, UConn and even Missouri is coming in 2025 to McGuirk. Exposure and ability to watch games is nice as our first 2 games have already been announced to be on ESPN.
Auburn game set for 9/2 3:30 ESPN
New Mexico St game 8/26 7:00 ESPN

------ added 6/10/2023 ------

Think we can form better rivals in the MAC as even the A10 seems to have turnover. The stability of the MAC and the ability to win are very appealing. Like the synergy of cross sport rivals with basketball and football. We'd have you guys, Buffalo, Ohio, plus others as Toledo. Hope you think about FBS and make the MAC better. Best of luck regardless and hope you have a great season.