'24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> Virginia Tech)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah Zeigler would be a perfect guy for Hammond to learn from for a year. That dude is a stud. Good call PRT.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for clarifying on the PG situation at Tenn, PRT.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I wish him the best, but I'm hoping we move on from him on here. His leaving sucks. Him playing well somewhere else will suck. I don't know why we want to put ourselves through that. I say we forget about him and focus on our team.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Per 247Sports.com, Tenn lost 7 from their Elite 8 team and added 3 from the portal so far. Between those 3 adds and 6 leftovers, I didn’t see a PG listed.

Hard for me to think they can’t nab a good, experienced PG from the portal with their NIL and PT available at that position. I must have have overlooked one on the current roster ?

Is Barnes open to handing Hammond the keys to the O ?

ETA: I looked at the wrong list. I was only looking at portal additions and subtractions. They still have guards on the roster. Probably one is starting caliber PG.
Zakai Zeigler is the starting PG

I think he would be brought in to be the next Zakai Zeigler after he graduates. Makes sense because Zakai is a short PG. They are very similar.

I think Ben would be willing to wait a year. I'd guess he'll commit after he visits.
Next year is all that matters...and SeeBass will be the better player
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Per 247Sports.com, Tenn lost 7 from their Elite 8 team and added 3 from the portal so far. Between those 3 adds and 6 leftovers, I didn’t see a PG listed.

Hard for me to think they can’t nab a good, experienced PG from the portal with their NIL and PT available at that position. I must have have overlooked one on the current roster ?

ETA: I looked at the wrong list. I was only looking at portal additions and subtractions. They still have guards on the roster. Probably one is starting caliber PG.

I think he would be brought in to be the next Zakai Zeigler after he graduates. Makes sense because Zakai is a short PG. They are very similar.

I think Ben would be willing to wait a year. I'd guess he'll commit after he visits.
If he's going to sit at a P5 this year but his goal is to be at one of those schools, why not come here for a year, play lots of minutes and show how good he is and go P5 next year. He'd rather get more money to sit for a year? I don't know, but to me, that's crazy.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago

If he's going to sit at a P5 this year but his goal is to be at one of those schools, why not come here for a year, play lots of minutes and show how good he is and go P5 next year. He'd rather get more money to sit for a year? I don't know, but to me, that's crazy.
I guess he only cared about Kenny Johnson? Or guys like Rick Barnes started calling.

He may play next year for the Vols, who knows. If he doesn't pan out in the SEC he can always come back.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great that PRT can watch him a lot Vols and URI baby
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t think it’s crazy for a program at the level of Tennessee. They are not quite a blue blood team, but they are that next tier. Take your shot to win the starting spot for your sophomore year. I would agree with you if he was going to sit at a crap P5 school.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 weeks ago

I don’t think it’s crazy for a program at the level of Tennessee. They are not quite a blue blood team, but they are that next tier. Take your shot to win the starting spot for your sophomore year. I would agree with you if he was going to sit at a crap P5 school.
Rothstein ranks Tennessee 18th in too early rankings
Zeigler is projected starting PG

Top Conference, Rick Barnes a top HC, tough schedule, lots of 💰 💰 💰 , back ti just 4 years to play with Covid year gone, no penalty to transfer. Why not take the money now, give P5 your best shot and can always recruit down to mid major later if P5 doesn’t work out.

18. Tennessee
Projected Starting 5:
G Zakai Zeigler
G Jahmai Mashack
G Cameron Carr
F Igor Milicic
C Felix Okpara
Projected Bench: Cade Phillips, Bishop Boswell, Darlinstone Dubar, JP Estrella, Jordan Gainey
Key Newcomers: Bishop Boswell, Darlinstone Dubar (Hofstra), Felix Okpara (Ohio State), Igor Milicic (Charlotte)
Key Losses: Dalton Knecht, Josiah-Jordan James, Santiago Vescovi, Freddie Dillione, Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Tennessee would be a great landing spot for him, if he gets that chance, take it.

Playing and learning under Zeigler, who he compares with well, would be the perfect opportunity for him.

Plus, the chance to go to a nationally ranked team, that also just went to the Elite 8 and play under Barnes.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unless you want (or need) the extra cash now?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago

I know we'll never know, but I wonder how much we were going to give him?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not enough?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not enough?
Not as much as Tennessee or any P5
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RHODE TO EXCELLENCE ECR CHALLENGE

I, ECR, will donate $5k and commit to Ben Hammond if he agrees to stay here for the duration of his ncaa career (unless Coach Miller leaves).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's funny how people here were saying he's not that big of a loss, yet now they're saying he could be a starting PG in a P5 conference and a top 20 school by his sophomore year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not saying that. I’m saying if he can get the money at Tennessee or any other P5 school then go for it.

Also I have said Hammond did not show up at any URI games this season including games in the DMV area with George Mason or George Washington - not a good sign. As time went on and he was not heard from plus he and his team had success at the prestigious Isle of Palms in Ft Myers, plus getting ranked 1st or 2nd Nationally plus having success at the 8 team National Championship it seemed more and more likely to me that he would de-commit from URI.

So I would have been more surprised if he had stayed vs go to greener $$ pastures - regardless of whether Kenny Johnson stayed or not

I fully understand fans bring very disappointed when he bolted if they thought he was going to maintain his commitment.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 weeks ago

Rothstein ranks Tennessee 18th in too early rankings
Zeigler is projected starting PG

Top Conference, Rick Barnes a top HC, tough schedule, lots of 💰 💰 💰 , back ti just 4 years to play with Covid year gone, no penalty to transfer. Why not take the money now, give P5 your best shot and can always recruit down to mid major later if P5 doesn’t work out.

18. Tennessee
Projected Starting 5:
G Zakai Zeigler
G Jahmai Mashack
G Cameron Carr
F Igor Milicic
C Felix Okpara
Projected Bench: Cade Phillips, Bishop Boswell, Darlinstone Dubar, JP Estrella, Jordan Gainey
Key Newcomers: Bishop Boswell, Darlinstone Dubar (Hofstra), Felix Okpara (Ohio State), Igor Milicic (Charlotte)
Key Losses: Dalton Knecht, Josiah-Jordan James, Santiago Vescovi, Freddie Dillione, Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo
They're about to land Chaz Lanier who is not a PG.

Ben would back up Zakai next year. ZZ plays close to 40 minutes a game so it may not be much, but he'll get in there.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago I’m not saying that. I’m saying if he can get the money at Tennessee or any other P5 school then go for it.

Also I have said Hammond did not show up at any URI games this season including games in the DMV area with George Mason or George Washington - not a good sign. As time went on and he was not heard from plus he and his team had success at the prestigious Isle of Palms in Ft Myers, plus getting ranked 1st or 2nd Nationally plus having success at the 8 team National Championship it seemed more and more likely to me that he would de-commit from URI.

So I would have been more surprised if he had stayed vs go to greener $$ pastures - regardless of whether Kenny Johnson stayed or not

I fully understand fans bring very disappointed when he bolted if they thought he was going to maintain his commitment.
Somebody said it. As far as Ben not going to any Rhody games, do you know where Paul VI was playing at the time when we played GMU or GW? They played teams all over the country.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago I’m not saying that. I’m saying if he can get the money at Tennessee or any other P5 school then go for it.

Somebody said it. As far as Ben not going to any Rhody games, do you know where Paul VI was playing at the time when we played GMU or GW? They played teams all over the country.
Looked it up. Conflict for GW and VCU games. No conflict for Saturday Jan 27 game at George Mason. Paul VI had home games on Friday and Sunday so he was in town for the Saturday GMU game.

At GMU Jan 27 4pm Sat
At GW Feb 6 7pm Tuesday
At VCU Feb 28 6:30pm Wednesday

Paul VI
Game home Jan 26
Game home Jan 28

Game home Feb 6 - conflict
Game home Feb 28 - conflict

As time went on and little was heard from him my hopes lessened and lessened. At the National Championships with many HC’s and AC’s around in Nationally Televised games plus playing against the best possible competition Hammond got lots of publicity.

Just for me seemed a lost cause to expect him on URI’s campus in September in today’s recruiting structure.

Plus……..
Last year after 2 games I questioned our lack of a PG. Some said it was too early to make that assessment but as the year went on I thought our having a Combo guard in the PG spot was just not working well. Wright did not consistently step up when given the opportunity.

I thought several times last season how I’d have liked Thomas to have stayed, especially after watching several of his games at Albany.

So I’m good now with Thomas. Glad Austin Carroll reached out to Thomas. Then add A P5 Nebraska starting guard.

Now grab a strong power forward to start and move 6’7” Green to wing for his 3P shooting and excellent ability to drive and weave to the hoop and we have good height at the wing. House or Green off the bench and we have 2 guys who could be A10 6th man of the year award. If we don’t get that PF then we go with what we have.

Hammond was still probably at risk to leave after one year so I’m with some others here that like Yhomas better than Hammond for 2024-2025 anyway.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago It's funny how people here were saying he's not that big of a loss, yet now they're saying he could be a starting PG in a P5 conference and a top 20 school by his sophomore year.
Most of us said he's not a big loss for NEXT year. As a freshman. We also said that many players like Ben tend to leave, go to a high-major, and transfer. And I can promise you that at least one person in our program felt like Ben would not stay here long term because they messaged me that the day we landed Bassy. If we knew Ben would stick around, of course, he's a big loss. It is what it is at this point.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago It's funny how people here were saying he's not that big of a loss, yet now they're saying he could be a starting PG in a P5 conference and a top 20 school by his sophomore year.
Most of us said he's not a big loss for NEXT year. As a freshman. We also said that many players like Ben tend to leave, go to a high-major, and transfer. And I can promise you that at least one person in our program felt like Ben would not stay here long term because they messaged me that the day we landed Bassy. If we knew Ben would stick around, of course, he's a big loss. It is what it is at this point.
The NCAA should do away with the National Letter of Intent. It means nothing now.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

from NLI to NIL

clown show
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The NCAA should do away with the National Letter of Intent. It means nothing now.
It never really meant much anyway though. The vast majority of schools would always let players out of their NLI if they requested it before to.
Last edited by adam914 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago

It never really meant much anyway though. The vast majority of schools would always let players out of their NLI if they requested it before to.
I think more kids honored it in the past than they do now. The mindset now is go wherever I please, whenever I please. And no, I didn't complain when Jared did it . It just feels different to me now with the craziness of the portal. No loyalty anymore.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think more kids honored it in the past than they do now. The mindset now is go wherever I please, whenever I please. And no, I didn't complain when Jared did it . It just feels different to me now with the craziness of the portal. No loyalty anymore.
I think it's always been part of the game, but probably just seems worse now because of the transfers happening along side it. Maybe the numbers are higher though I don't know. The whole NLI process is voluntary anyway. Schools and athletes don't have to participate in it if they don't want to.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They ALL were let out of it, if the recruit asked for it.
The team and coaches don't really want a player who doesn't want to be there.
Besides if the school doesn't, that creates potentially bad vibes and not a good look with future recruits and their prep coaches.

The NLI did mean more when the players were considered actual "student-athletes" rather than paid professionals.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Besides if the school doesn't, that creates potentially bad vibes and not a good look with future recruits and their prep coaches.

The NLI did mean more when the players were considered actual "student-athletes" rather than paid professionals.
Yes. So what's the point of having it?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I guess because of tradition and the recruits like the drama and feel like it is a big deal for them.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I was hesitant to say "all" because I figured someone could probably find a few random cases where maybe they weren't let out of their NLI, so I just went with "vast majority" instead. :D

I'm not sure how it meant more before players were allowed to be paid. It means the same thing now that it meant before. Nothing has changed there.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I guess because of tradition and the recruits like the drama and feel like it is a big deal for them.
The point of having it is supposed to be to "close" your recruitment. Once both sides have signed it other schools are not allowed to recruit you any longer. Of course we know coaches break that rule all the time. It also is an agreement that the school will provide the athlete with financial aid for one year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The point of having it is supposed to be to "close" your recruitment. Once both sides have signed it other schools are not allowed to recruit you any longer. Of course we know coaches break that rule all the time. It also is an agreement that the school will provide the athlete with financial aid for one year.
Yes that was the intent.
But if a player starts getting plenty of national attention and NIL comes into a bigger play, than all bets are off.
Also with all the coaching changes and movement that will affect the recruit's decision to make a change.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Just thinking off the top of my head regarding players breaking an NLI pledge.

Could the NCAA fine the school that signs the player who breaks his NLI ? For instance, in regards to cbb, if you sign a player who breaks an NLI, the school forfeits one NCAAT credit? And, the credit goes to the school losing the player?

You could have a few exceptions to the rule: family hardship reason, HC leaving or being fired?

I don’t know if something like this is even possible but it may cut down on tampering and encourage these young men to put deeper thought into which program they sign up with to make sure it is the right choice.

Just spit ballin’.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Just thinking off the top of my head regarding players breaking an NLI pledge.

Could the NCAA fine the school that signs the player who breaks his NLI ? For instance, in regards to cbb, if you sign a player who breaks an NLI, the school forfeits one NCAAT credit? And, the credit goes to the school losing the player?

You could have a few exceptions to the rule: family hardship reason, HC leaving or being fired?

I don’t know if something like this is even possible but it may cut down on tampering and encourage these young men to put deeper thought into which program they sign up with to make sure it is the right choice.

Just spit ballin’.
An NLI seems like when you're selling your house and get an offer. It's a good first step, but means nothing til you walk out of the closing/start the season
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Just thinking off the top of my head regarding players breaking an NLI pledge.

Just spit ballin’.
An NLI seems like when you're selling your house and get an offer. It's a good first step, but means nothing til you walk out of the closing/start the season
That's what it's become, but it's supposed to be this...."The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just spit ballin’.
That's what it's become, but it's supposed to be this...."The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution."
Now, it's slightly below the level of a 'pinkie swear'? :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Players today can leave by May 1 after their season is over. Once in Portal they can get offered by any school, even within sane conference, with zero sit out penalty. NIL offers are unlimited and can now be not just a players own Name, Image, Likeness but also get cash from a Collective Pay for Play. The big, big money from the huge ESPN, Fox, CBS, etc media darlings is being protected by the NCAA and I situations themselves - that mother lode of gold will get released as bidding for players increases.

No limit on NIL, no limit on transfers. Even in Portal and “signed” a player can reneg and go to another school or two before the next season starts.

Now take Hammond

He committed early to URI, played his Senior Year, his team achieved #1 in country and he got great publicity.
So “signing” a year early he should be held to that Commitment?
Why?
Nobody else is held to commitments anymore once their season is over so why should a Junior in HS entering his/her senior year be held to that commitment? Because it’s always been that way?

NLI’s will be extinct if they are not extinct already.

Can’t give Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Grad Students and even JUCO’s freedom to sign anywhere after their season is over but keep the old fashioned NLI’s for HS Juniors in place - lawyers will have a field day with that. Plus it’s not fair anyway.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
Players today can leave by May 1 after their season is over. Once in Portal they can get offered by any school, even within sane conference, with zero sit out penalty. NIL offers are unlimited and can now be not just a players own Name, Image, Likeness but also get cash from a Collective Pay for Play. The big, big money from the huge ESPN, Fox, CBS, etc media darlings is being protected by the NCAA and I situations themselves - that mother lode of gold will get released as bidding for players increases.

No limit on NIL, no limit on transfers. Even in Portal and “signed” a player can reneg and go to another school or two before the next season starts.

Now take Hammond

He committed early to URI, played his Senior Year, his team achieved #1 in country and he got great publicity.
Why?
Nobody else is held to commitments anymore once their season is over so why should a Junior in HS entering his/her senior year be held to that commitment? Because it’s always been that way?

Can’t give Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Grad Students and even JUCO’s freedom to sign anywhere after their season is over but keep the old fashioned NLI’s for HS Juniors in place - lawyers will have a field day with that. Plus it’s not fair anyway.
Then don't sign an NLI. Just wait until summer a couple of months school starts and let schools bid on you. Just become part of the portal. You're a free agent along with the 1800 or so college kids.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We are going back to the Sly Williams way, you don’t know who’s on your team until they show up.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I’m thinking that the NFL and NBA somewhat control their pocketbook by having a draft and limiting the options that a particular player has. And of course, various free agent rules impact the leverage for each side. All of this somewhat “controls” the leverage that players have.

In college sports this is obviously not the case. The college “pro” player has more flexibility and negotiating leverage than the pro - league players. This is clearly absurd. Everyone is a free agent with no strings attached.

Any chance the NCAA will fix any part of this crazy and broken system?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Now take Hammond

Why?

Ramster, I don’t think Hammond should be held to the commitment but I do believe strongly that he should not have made the commitment unless he was willing to honor it. In other words, if there was the smallest chance he could change his mind then, he should not have committed. I wouldn’t question that approach; I think it shows maturity.

These (signing an NLI) are important decisions that should not be taken lightly. How do young people learn if they are not taught there are consequences (for themselves and for others) to their decisions ?

Maybe the window for signing NLI’s should be addressed to avoid such situations. For example, a prep student can’t commit to a school until his Sr season ends or until June 1st following of his Sr season ?

I don’t know…I guess I am just older and hence old fashioned.

ETA: Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

PS. ETA means edited to add ? That’s what I always took it as when seeing a later addition to a post. In response to NHramfan’s question.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

Now take Hammond

Why?

Then don't sign an NLI. Just wait until summer a couple of months school starts and let schools bid on you. Just become part of the portal. You're a free agent along with the 1800 or so college kids.
Yep.
Exactly
No need for any Rhody fans to be mad at him or disappointed with him.
Hammond is simply doing what is best for himself and his family just like all the current College players including JUCO’s. No reason HS Juniors should be treated any differently other than the rule changes with total freedom have not gotten to that level yet. They should also get their share of the NIL-Pie
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago

Now take Hammond

Why?

Ramster, I don’t think Hammond should be held to the commitment but I do believe strongly that he should not have made the commitment unless he was willing to honor it. In other words, if there was the smallest chance he could change his mind then, he should not have committed. I wouldn’t question that approach; I think it shows maturity.

These (signing an NLI) are important decisions that should not be taken lightly. How do young people learn if they are not taught there are consequences (for themselves and for others) to their decisions ?

Maybe the window for signing NLI’s should be addressed to avoid such situations. For example, a prep student can’t commit to a school until his Sr season ends or until June 1st following of his Sr season ?

I don’t know…I guess I am just older and hence old fashioned.

ETA: Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

PS. ETA means edited to add ? That’s what I always took it as when seeing a later addition to a post. In response to NHramfan’s question.
Reasonable thoughts. But I think the huge changes of individually generated NIL, big Pie NIL to be distributed and no limitations to transfer have benefited all College players but little gas changed for the High School players. Since there are no longer any rules, no limits for College players seems ironic we still expect HS Juniors and Seniors to have contractual obligations.

Soon to disappear I’m sure.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramster, out of sincere curiosity on my part, do you know for a fact that Hammond is doing what is best for his family or are you making an assumption ?

I don’t know his background, his family situation, his family’s financial situation, etc. which is why I ask.

I get disappointed, frustrated and joke around on here when a young man breaks a commitment to Rhody - heck, I am not perfect; just an imperfect fan on a fan board. But, I understand it better when and where there are hardship circumstances.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Ramster, out of sincere curiosity on my part, do you know for a fact that Hammond is doing what is best for his family or are you making an assumption ?

I don’t know his background, his family situation, his family’s financial situation, etc. which is why I ask.

I get disappointed, frustrated and joke around on here when a young man breaks a commitment to Rhody - heck, I am not perfect; just an imperfect fan on a fan board. But, I understand it better when and where there are hardship circumstances.
I think it's simple. He blew up his senior year, was getting compliments from guys like Calipari, and realized he could make a lot more money somewhere else. Can't blame him. But once again, don't sign an NLI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Ramster, out of sincere curiosity on my part, do you know for a fact that Hammond is doing what is best for his family or are you making an assumption ?

I think it's simple. He blew up his senior year, was getting compliments from guys like Calipari, and realized he could make a lot more money somewhere else. Can't blame him. But once again, don't sign an NLI.
It's exactly that simple. And not seeing him at a single game plus not hearing much of anything from him on social media I came to the opinion 4-6 months ago that he was not going to be suited up in November.
I don't blame him for seeking greener pastures. Best of luck.

Don't know why this hit so many here by surprise and why the anger towards him.

I kept my doubts about him showing here for the start of school quiet because no need to share while he was still committed.

Thomas is a more than adequate replacement with 3 years experience imho.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff. Appreciate the responses, Ramster and 78.

Ramster, you had a good reading of the tea leaves with Hammond.

I was treading water in denial for awhile…

Not the river in Egypt. :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It's exactly that simple. And not seeing him at a single game plus not hearing much of anything from him on social media I came to the opinion 4-6 months ago that he was not going to be suited up in November.
I don't blame him for seeking greener pastures. Best of luck.

Don't know why this hit so many here by surprise and why the anger towards him.

I kept my doubts about him showing here for the start of school quiet because no need to share while he was still committed.

Thomas is a more than adequate replacement with 3 years experience imho.
Yes, with all the national exposure he got with Paul V1 and their success, better opportunities opened up for him.

That along with the departure of his lead recruiter who he and his inner circle had a close relationship with all led him to wanting out.

Can't blame him, things were much different prior to his senior season and at the time signing the NLI was a major event in his life.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Hammond blew up during the season but waited until very late in the game to de-commit. Really kept us out of any pg recruiting battles that we might have wanted to be in. It could be that he used us
Perhaps, a NLI should not be cancellable after a certain date that is much earlier. This would be a better and more fair way to treat both the player and the school.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Right who should standby their commitment? That’s just crazy talk! Nobody expects you to stand by your commitment in life if a better offer comes along! Kinda surprised contracts even exist! What an outdated concept. Why do we even have lawyers to make up all those useless contracts and courts to enforce them? Never mind that, when are these kids supposed to learn their word means something as other people are relying on you to do what you committed to do? When do they get to learn these life lessons? Yes, I know coaches move on to better deals, but they usually at least did the job they were hired for for at least part of their contract before bolting. Not saying they kids need to stay for all 4 years but unless the HC who they agreed to play for leaves or there is a major hardship that came up, they should honor the commitment for at least one year. Who knows, they may like it and not want to leave!