'24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI verbal)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hammond needs to work on his 3 pt shot the most. I'm sure it'll get there. He's a 90% ft shooter.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Team Takeover (D.C.)

Donovan Freeman (PF, Syracuse commit, No. 33 in 2024 ESPN 100)
Darren Harris (G, Duke commit, No. 42 in 2024 ESPN 100)
Patrick Ngongba (C, uncommitted, No. 67 in 2024 ESPN 100)
Garrett Sundra (PF, uncommitted, No. 82 in 2024 ESPN 100)
Caleb Williams (SF, uncommitted, No. 85 in 2024 ESPN 100)
Nykolas Lewis (PG, uncommitted, No. 30 in 2025 ESPN 60)

Talent level of Team Takeover that won the prestigious 2023 Peach Jam

Gives an idea of the talent level of Ben Hammond to be recruited to play starting PG for AAU Team Takeover

https://www.augustachronicle.com/story/ ... 350383007/
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Team Takeover (D.C.)

Gives an idea of the talent level of Ben Hammond to be recruited to play starting PG for AAU Team Takeover

Harris (Duke), Ngongba (probably going to UConnn) and Sundra (probably going to Notre Dame) are also Ben's teammates at Paul VI, yet Ben is the leader of that team.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 9 months ago Not to rain on any parades here, as I watched a bunch of Bens games at Peach Jam and he looks great. I just find it important to surround positives and negatives of any player with context.

Important to remember Ben was playing/surrounded with multiple Top 100 players.

He has a great skill set as a floor general. Will need the right surrounding cast to use that ability to it’s fullest
I think it more shows that he's at that level of talent himself. As a junior.

Put Sebastian Thomas on that team and see if those kids play as well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

You need to put the Sebastian Thomas comments to bed. He gave everything he had for this team, as many of his teammates did not, and for that I will be thankful.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RAM67 wrote: 9 months ago You need to put the Sebastian Thomas comments to bed. He gave everything he had for this team, as many of his teammates did not, and for that I will be thankful.
I don't think I commented anything about his effort or personality. As a basketball player he is not good. I'm sure I'd be happy to work an office job with him. He didn't belong at this level of basketball, and him being here is more a commentary on the previous coaching administration than anything about him.

Either way, comments about him will never be put to bed because they are a great reminder of how far we had fallen, why we should appreciate who's bringing us back up, and how to recognize and appreciate the players and talent we bring in now.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

That sounds great. and I agree with the basic sentiment, but he was who we had at the time, wanted to be here, we didn't have a better option, and he played to the best of his ability. Why bring him up with such negativity every other post? Apparently, Archie as well as Cox thought he could play under those circumstances.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So looking forward to see what Ben and his high school teammate can accomplish @ Rhody
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RAM67 wrote: 9 months ago That sounds great. and I agree with the basic sentiment, but he was who we had at the time, wanted to be here, we didn't have a better option, and he played to the best of his ability. Why bring him up with such negativity every other post? Apparently, Archie as well as Cox thought he could play under those circumstances.
Archie did not have a choice. We were incredibly devoid of ball handlers last year.

Cox chose this.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I believe you just agreed to what I said.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m not looking back at the last season debacle or the disappointing tenure of our previous coaching staff.

Let’s look forward friends!

Go Rhody!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago
RAM67 wrote: 9 months ago That sounds great. and I agree with the basic sentiment, but he was who we had at the time, wanted to be here, we didn't have a better option, and he played to the best of his ability. Why bring him up with such negativity every other post? Apparently, Archie as well as Cox thought he could play under those circumstances.
Archie did not have a choice. We were incredibly devoid of ball handlers last year.

Cox chose this.
In fairness to Cox - he chose him to be a redshirt long term development project. Unfortunately he was able to beat out everyone else on the team that should have been better. He does some things really well, it wasn’t a bad pickup for a developmental player who if he had ever fixed his shot would have been able to play at this level.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago

Cox chose this.
In fairness to Cox - he chose him to be a redshirt long term development project. Unfortunately he was able to beat out everyone else on the team that should have been better. He does some things really well, it wasn’t a bad pickup for a developmental player who if he had ever fixed his shot would have been able to play at this level.
I don’t want to take over the thread of a recruit who will be a building block of our next great generation.

But that’s false. Cox chose Bassy because he looked like a fool not wanting to look at Kolek when Kolek wanted to come here. He was feeling heat for “not being able to recruit Rhode Island” and went and grabbed a kid from Hendricken and then made a big deal about recruiting the state.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago

Cox chose this.
I don’t want to take over the thread of a recruit who will be a building block of our next great generation.

But that’s false. Cox chose Bassy because he looked like a fool not wanting to look at Kolek when Kolek wanted to come here. He was feeling heat for “not being able to recruit Rhode Island” and went and grabbed a kid from Hendricken and then made a big deal about recruiting the state.
Both are true - I agree he wanted to recruit the state after the Kolek miss - but he also was not expecting to play him year 1. Bassy was also a long term play at getting Miranda. Either way, he was not expected to play extensively his first 2 years but beat out the other more highly recruited players for time. It’s not his fault he was the best option on the team, he never should have been close to the best option as he was not ready (may never be ready) to play at this level. We shall move on now though. This recruit looks much more ready to play in the A10 and I am pumped about that:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And Ngongba has a final 8 of Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Michigan, Providence, and UConn. But guess who is the leader of this team?

5 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Hammond is currently on a visit at URI
5 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Mattrams94 wrote: 6 months ago Hammond is currently on a visit at URI
Good time to do it. Homecoming weekend, got a big football game tomorrow, and the hoopfest today. Also got the practice facility operational.
5 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 6 months ago Hammond is currently on a visit at URI
Good time to do it. Homecoming weekend, got a big football game tomorrow, and the hoopfest today. Also got the practice facility operational.
Indeed
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really excited about Hammond! I think he'll end up being a fan favorite at Rhody.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago Really excited about Hammond! I think he'll end up being a fan favorite at Rhody.
He plays with great players now with all of them going to high major schools and he's been a big reason his teammates have been so successful. I think he's the type of player who can attract other really good players to come here because of the way he plays and leads.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I understand the game is more position-less today but I have always been partial to a good point guard (floor general type) on the floor.

I am glad we landed Hammond and am looking forward to watching Kortright this season based on recent comment from Archie.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago
ramster wrote: 9 months ago Team Takeover (D.C.)

Harris (Duke), Ngongba (probably going to UConnn) and Sundra (probably going to Notre Dame) are also Ben's teammates at Paul VI, yet Ben is the leader of that team.
Ngongba reduced to his Final 3. Ngongba has moved up to #19 on ESPN 100 with his strong AAU play this past spring/summer.

No longer on his list are Kansas, Connecticut, Indiana, Providence and Michigan.

https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/c ... 320326007/
IMG_0422.jpeg
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 5 months ago
Ngongba will announce this Saturday at 2:30pm
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
He did most recently visit K-State, Kentucky also in the mix.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
Yes. He recently narrowed to Duke, Kentucky and Kansas State.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago

Yes. He recently narrowed to Duke, Kentucky and Kansas State.
Wherever he goes, if he's really good (or even if he isn't, I guess), they should call it "The Ngong Show"
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Seems like it's Duke
Attachments
Screenshot_20231103_100532_Reddit.jpg
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if we could beat Paul VI......kidding, kind of. They have several NBA prospects on the team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not sure why the link says swimming and diving...

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/11/8/wome ... 24-25.aspx

Ben Hammond
Paul VI
Manassas, Va.
Guard
5-11 | 155
Hammond earned Second Team All-Conference honors as a junior in 2023 for Paul VI. The EYBL Breakout MVP of 2023, he has led Paul VI to a pair of state championships already (2022, 2023), as well as a conference championship in 2022. He is the facilitator for one of the most powerful program's in the country, and was the team's 2022 Defensive Player of the Year. Through Paul VI, Hammond has played overseas in London as part of the Basketball Hall of Fame London Showcase, where the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference power went 4-0 to win a tournament that also featured New York's Christ the King and California's Mater Dei.

Hammond comes out of Glen Farello's Paul VI program whose entire starting lineup is signing Division I NLIs. Picking up three- and four-star ratings from multiple sites, he chose the Rams over the likes of George Mason, College of Charleston and Towson. Last season, his team was 31-4 overall, including a perfect 15-0 in the DMV region.

"Ben Hammond was the point guard for one of the most powerful high school programs in the country in Paul VI," Miller said. "He plays for Glen Farello, who has produced more than 80 Division I players and a handful of guys who have played in the NBA. It's program that regularly produces high-level, productive players, and Ben has been at the wheel. We are getting a championship-caliber player who is dynamic on both ends of the floor."
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The next great Rhody point guard!! So pumped about this kid!
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AWESOME !
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI signed LOI)

The best part of Archie's press conference was when he said Hammond and Farrell are two of the best A10 recruits he's ever landed. Man, I can't wait to see all our young guys develop and hopefully stick around once they do!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago The best part of Archie's press conference was when he said Hammond and Farrell are two of the best A10 recruits he's ever landed. Man, I can't wait to see all our young guys develop and hopefully stick around once they do!
Right and he had some good ones @ Dayton !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This speaks for itself......

From Duke Men's Basketball
IMG_0786.png
IMG_0785.jpeg
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hamm it up, young man!

Go Rhody!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago This speaks for itself......

IMG_0786.png

IMG_0785.jpeg
This his high school team or AAU ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 months ago

IMG_0786.png

IMG_0785.jpeg
This his high school team or AAU ?
HS

Paul VI
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

IMG_0786.png

IMG_0785.jpeg
Love that!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Top 25 ESPN HS Prep Rankings

There was plenty of movement this week in the rankings so get the full update on the ESPN High School Boys' Basketball Top 25 for the week of Nov. 27, 2024 below.

1. Montverde Academy (Fla.) 4-0
2. Link Academy (Mo.) 6-0
3. Columbus (Fla.) 2-1
4. Prolific Prep (Calif.) 8-1
5. IMG Academy (Fla.) 1-0
6. Long Island Luthern (N.Y.) 0-0
7. Paul VI (Va.) 0-0
8. La Lumiere (Ind.) 5-0
9. Combine Academy (N.C.) 9-0
10. Wasatch Academy (Utah) 3-2
11. AZ Compass (Ariz.) 7-1
12. Bishop O'Connell (Va.) 1-0
13. John Marshall (Virg.) 0-0
14. Gonzaga HS College (Washington D.C.) 0-0
15. Archbishop Stepniac (N.Y.) 0-0
16. Brewster Academy (N.H.) 4-0
17. Grayson (Ga.) 6-0
18. Dream City Christian (Ariz.) 5-1
19. Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) 4-0
20. St. John Bosco (Calif.) 1-0
21. Myers Park (N.C.) 0-1
22. Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) 0-0
23. Lake Travis (Texas) 8-0
24. Red Rock Academy (Nev.) 7-0
25. Oak Hill Academy (Va.) 7-0
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Paul VI will play in the prestigious City of Palms Classic in Ft Myers

First game for Paul VI:
Monday Dec 18 3:30pm vs Millennium (AZ)

Teams from Top 25 that will be in the City of Palms Classic:

1. Montverde Academy (Fla.) 4-0
2. Link Academy (Mo.) 6-0
3. Columbus (Fla.) 2-1
5. IMG Academy (Fla.) 1-0
6. Long Island Luthern (N.Y.) 0-0
7. Paul VI (Va.) 0-0
22. Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) 0-0
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Paul VI is pretty good....

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hamm is directing a pretty efficient and high scoring O, it appears. Nothing like a good floor general running the show.

Thanks for the updates, 78.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago Hamm is directing a pretty efficient and high scoring O, it appears. Nothing like a good floor general running the show.

I wish I could find a box score and see how many assists he's getting in these 100+ point games.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago Hamm is directing a pretty efficient and high scoring O, it appears. Nothing like a good floor general running the show.

I wish I could find a box score and see how many assists he's getting in these 100+ point games.
Eh, probably kind of irrelevant. Sounds like they're still in the "Bishop Hendricken and La Salle playing Little Compton and Block Island" portion of their schedule.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, the comp he's playing in those games is very, very weak. However, he's proven he can compete with the best players in the country plenty of times. Can't wait for him to be our future starting point guard.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING