'24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI signed LOI)

Unread post by jcru »

Tell you what, now that they have been bitten, people are a lot less likely to make that mistake again.

Archie: “wowie, wow wow! [player] is going to be top 5 in the country”

Fan: “yeah o-kay. We’ll settle for top five on the roster”
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
jcru wrote: 4 months ago He was talked up by Archie, 15. Not by people here, by the head coach.

I know you are an expert of everything on planet Earth, but let's not lose that distinction in your analysis. The coach placed that label on him.
Correct, I never said he was talked up by anyone here.

No matter who said it, it was said, and people believed it.

I feel like if those crazy high expectations weren’t put on him, most everyone would be fine with how he’s played.
I'm personally happy with Fuchs. I didn't like how he looked at Moehgun, but after that, I thought he was playing well against some very good big men. The hate he was getting by some didn't make sense to me at all. He could be very good in a year or two.
Yup, same.

But most people ate up Archie’s comments on him and that’s most likely why people aren’t happy with him.

They heard “a top freshman in the country” and “top freshman in the A10” and automatically expected that.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago Tell you what, now that they have been bitten, people are a lot less likely to make that mistake again.

I’ve been like that for a few years and get shit for wanting to wait for results, but maybe people slowly will start to come around to not listening to the hype.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago Tell you what, now that they have been bitten, people are a lot less likely to make that mistake again.

Jcru, that’s a good point about coach-speak.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me - as the saying goes.

Although in this section of the board, not all of us but some of us here are typically formulating an analysis of a prospects game based on the very good links and vids from dedicated posters here before hearing from any of the coaches. It is usually not long after an offer from Rhody is posted on Twitter or another platform that prospect intel and vids are flowing here from KB posters kindly willing to put their time and effort for the rest of us to review.

I, for one, greatly appreciate their efforts.

It’s one of the things that I find very enjoyable about KB in that we get to play basketball scout here. We get to analyze prospects, critique their skills/game styles, project their potential and discuss it with others here that enjoy doing their own scouting, so to speak.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Absolutely, I was extremely optimistic about many of his players at the start. It's evident that players like Hammond are impressive, but players like Weston, though talented, seem to struggle to make an impact in Archie's system. Nonetheless, I'll continue promoting our recruits on social media, providing my honest opinions about their game. But I’m definitely not taking Archie’s word anymore until he proves it.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hamm and Paul VI are on ESPNU again. The game started an about 5 minutes ago.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What a play by Hammond to end the 1st half!

Lightning quick is an understatement.

We had better start playing uptempo next season.

That's his game. Archie, pay attention! Lol
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago For those worried about his height and being able to get his shot off, the team he played yesterday is as big and as talented as many of the teams he will be playing against next year. He's been playing against top level competition and big players for years. He has a knack of being able to get his shot off against these types of players. That being said, it is crazy that someone said he'd be 1st team A10 his freshman year.
Agree , also he is used to playing against trees his whole life so he can work his way around it

I just hope we have the right supporting staff around him !!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep.

Hammond is legit.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago What a play by Hammond to end the 1st half!

Lightning quick is an understatement.

We had better start playing uptempo next season.

That's his game. Archie, pay attention! Lol
Coast to coast in 4 seconds and finishes, haha. Incredible...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago For those worried about his height and being able to get his shot off, the team he played yesterday is as big and as talented as many of the teams he will be playing against next year. He's been playing against top level competition and big players for years. He has a knack of being able to get his shot off against these types of players. That being said, oit is crazy that someone said he'd be 1st team A10 his freshman year.
Check Fatts senior year highlights. He played all the top comp and finished at the rim amongst the trees. But college is different. There’s no comparison. A PG has to be a threat from the outside.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago For those worried about his height and being able to get his shot off, the team he played yesterday is as big and as talented as many of the teams he will be playing against next year. He's been playing against top level competition and big players for years. He has a knack of being able to get his shot off against these types of players. That being said, oit is crazy that someone said he'd be 1st team A10 his freshman year.
Check Fatts senior year highlights. He played all the top comp and finished at the rim amongst the trees. But college is different. There’s no comparison. A PG has to be a threat from the outside.
Because he knows when NOT to take it all the way to the hole. He has a beautiful floater and knows when to use it. It seems to be a lost art.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like he can be as good or maybe better than Fatts who I was a fan of

Ben sounds like more of a play maker than Fatts but hopefully we have scorers he can set up
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago
Because he knows when NOT to take it all the way to the hole. He has a beautiful floater and knows when to use it. It seems to be a lost art.

It’s not a lost art - Steph goes to it a lot. It’s just a very difficult shot to make consistently.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 months ago Sounds like he can be as good or maybe better than Fatts who I was a fan of

Ben sounds like more of a play maker than Fatts but hopefully we have scorers he can set up
He won't have those explosive scoring nights like Fatts, but he is a much better decision maker for sure. From what I watched, he never forced anything.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

It will be nice to have a high caliber true PG who is explosive, can create, and dish.
Only thing is, we need to surround him with some solid, decent, players.
Hopefully they are either on our current roster, or the staff will have to find them.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Agreed Jersey. I'm not expecting huge scoring numbers from Hammond, especially early on, but I'm hoping he can help make others around him better and be a true floor general out there. I think it's something we're really lacking right now.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking about 10 pts. per game and 5 assists per game as a freshman......and some steals and a pain in the ass on defense.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago I'm thinking about 10 pts. per game and 5 assists per game as a freshman......and some steals and a pain in the ass on defense.
Get some shooters around him, some bigs that can make lay ups and our coaches know how to coach again and we are golden!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Many good comments up above. I will add that when watching him that his leadership mindset doesn’t stop on the O end of the floor but that he also does it on D.

Several times I have seen him hustling back on D after a miss or make and calling out open opponents to make sure his teammates get back to cover their man.

He takes the responsibility of being a floor general on both ends to heart. I really like that aspect of his leadership.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I hope he does, but I don't know if he'll reach those numbers. If he drops 10 and 5, he could be the freshman of the year in the A10. Tyson Wheeler averaged 5 assists as a freshman, while Jeff averaged a little over 5 assists once, playing alongside some of the best guards of all time. Fatts never did, and Jarvis, who played 35 minutes a game as a sophomore, was still under 5 assists at 4.7.

I think he'll average about 8 PPG and 3.8 assists. Similar to Mike Powell's freshman year. Yes, I think he's much better than Powell, but I think he will put up similar numbers in year 1... With better talent around him, I think Hammond could put up big assist numbers, but I don't think we will have that next year.

His shot is the biggest worry for me. His first step can probably get by anyone, but if he can't develop a decent 3-point shot, teams will continue to fade off of him. Think about what teams did with Fatts. When he wasn't hitting the 3 ball well, he was having a much tougher time scoring. When he did shoot the 3 well, he was unguardable. If Hammond was a great 3-point shooter, there is not a chance in the world he would come to URI. So we have to hope that his shot keeps getting better and better. I think he can do it.

Hammond blew up this week. I wonder if he sneaks into the top 100 on sites that update their rankings. He's right around 170 on the 247 site. My guess is he rises up the ranking significantly after putting up those numbers against that type of talent!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I am being cautious, so many variables, so many things can happen. I will go as far as, he can help.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. Montverde Academy (Fla.) 15-0
2. Long Island Lutheran (N.Y.) 11-1
3. Paul VI (Va.) 11-1
4. Link Academy (Mo.) 16-4
5. Columbus (Fla.) 13-4
6. Dynamic Prep (Texas) 13-1
7. Prolific Prep (Calif.) 18-2
8, Wasatch Academy (Utah) 8-2
9. AZ Compass (Ariz.) 15-4
10. Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) 8-2
11. Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) 17-1
12. Brewster Academy (N.H.) 12-2
13. Bishop O'Connell (Va.)* 12-3
14. Oak Hill Academy (Va.) 14-1
15. La Lumiere (Ind.) 9-3
16. Myers Park (N.C.) 12-2
17. Archbishop Stepinac (N.Y.) 7-3
18. Bullis School (Md.) 10-2
19. Combine Academy (N.C.)* 17-2
20. Gonzaga HS College (Washington, D.C.)* 12-2
21. Ridge View (S.C.) 15-0
22. Grayson (Ga.) 14-1
23. McEachern (Ga.) 10-3
24. IMG Academy (Fla.) 6-6
25. Dream City Christian (Ariz.) 14-4

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... t-basement
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A couple of beautiful passes in tonight's game.

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great stuff,78! Thanks for posting the clips.

Hamm has excellent court vision. Always has his head up heading down court with the dribble. 👍🏼
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't wait to see this kid suit up for Rhody!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1pm Today on ESPN U - Martin Luther King Day

Paul VI vs Christopher Columbus at Hoophall Classic in Springfield MA

Paul VI is ranked #3 and Columbus us ranked #5 Nationally in SCNext Jan 9 Rankings
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 months ago 1pm Today on ESPN U - Martin Luther King Day

Paul VI is ranked #3 and Columbus us ranked #5 Nationally in SCNext Jan 9 Rankings
I plan on watching during my lunch break and i'll make a video later.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

There was never a scintilla of doubt in my mind that you would not be watching this game. :D
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it as always…….. (Wright)
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago I'm thinking about 10 pts. per game and 5 assists per game as a freshman......and some steals and a pain in the ass on defense.
Get some shooters around him, some bigs that can make lay ups and our coaches know how to coach again and we are golden!
Good news: our coaches learned how to coach again
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

There was never a scintilla of doubt in my mind that you would not be watching this game. :D
Hahaha
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Hahaha
Well, he hasn't done much, so not sure I'll be making any video. A pretty ugly game overall. Both teams want to win, but no one seems to be in a rhythm. Boozer's kids are going to be really good. And Idk why, but I've never been impressed by Garrett Sundra.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hahaha
Well, he hasn't done much, so not sure I'll be making any video. A pretty ugly game overall. Both teams want to win, but no one seems to be in a rhythm. Boozer's kids are going to be really good. And Idk why, but I've never been impressed by Garrett Sundra.
Unofficially I have Hammond with 7 assists, zero turnovers, 6 points with 2-2 FTs against a very high level of competition.
He is very quick with his feet and deceptive with his stop and go speed. His highest priority is passing the ball very unselfishly. Will make the other 4 players on the floor with him better at URI. For him to play at this highest level in the country is a statement in its own. He is a winner.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hahaha
Unofficially I have Hammond with 7 assists, zero turnovers, 6 points with 2-2 FTs against a very high level of competition.
He is very quick with his feet and deceptive with his stop and go speed. His highest priority is passing the ball very unselfishly. Will make the other 4 players on the floor with him better at URI. For him to play at this highest level in the country is a statement in its own. He is a winner.
He’s a very skilled and high IQ player at this point in his development. I think he will have his adjustment and adaptation struggles his first season at Rhody - like just about all freshman - but his future looks bright.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago

He’s a very skilled and high IQ player at this point in his development. I think he will have his adjustment and adaptation struggles his first season at Rhody - like just about all freshman - but his future looks bright.
I'm not sure he struggles much next year.

I can see him struggling with getting good looks at the basket early on as he adjusts to D1 size. He may get caught forcing it, but don't get it twisted, he's one of the best PG's in the country, he's just small.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

That is fair Drums.
Let's not put too much pressure on him his 1st season here with wild expectations.
But yeah, I think he can become a very special player for us.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

That is fair Drums.
Let's not put too much pressure on him his 1st season here with wild expectations.
Yup, he needs to improve his shot. He'll run the offense well immediately, but my guess is he'll need some time to score well.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is fair Drums.
Yup, he needs to improve his shot. He'll run the offense well immediately, but my guess is he'll need some time to score well.
Paul VI is 3rd ranked in the country and playing in some of the best tournaments nationally. Some players on his team and the opponents will by one and done in college. Strong competition.
Some of our guys who played on teams ranked in the Top 25:
EC Mathews
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine
Jeff Dowtin

I’d expect Hammond starts at PG here from Game 1. His is already a proficient facilitator at the highest level of HS ball plus he played EYBL high level
In today’s world though you never know who is here next year. Kenny Johnson could get an offer he can’t refuse and Hammond could follow.
When this coming October hits and he is on campus I’ll fully believe,,, no make that 99.5%
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That is fair Drums.
Paul VI is 3rd ranked in the country and playing in some of the best tournaments nationally. Some players on his team and the opponents will by one and done in college. Strong competition.
EC Mathews
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine

I’d expect Hammond starts at PG here from Game 1. His is already a proficient facilitator at the highest level of HS ball plus he played EYBL high level
In today’s world though you never know who is here next year. Kenny Johnson could get an offer he can’t refuse and Hammond could follow.
When this coming October hits and he is on campus I’ll fully believe,,, no make that 99.5%
He will not start over Kortright. Will never happen. Check Kortright's stats. Not a chance.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

EC Mathews
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine

He will not start over Kortright. Will never happen. Check Kortright's stats. Not a chance.
I mean we saw Ways start over Kortright a few games ago. It could happen. If Archie wants a true point guard running his team Hammond is the best true point on our roster the second he steps on campus. Luis can play and succeed off the ball. I think it all depends on who comes back. Luis and House are in their fourth year right now. If all our key players decide to stay and come back I do agree Hammond won't start right away. My guess is he'll be the first off the bench and have a big role. But the kid is fearless, and he'll be earning more and more playing time as the season goes along. Similar to Cam this year....
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm guessing Hammond is starting by the 1/3rd point of the season like Cam did.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EC Mathews
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine

Kortright to off guard. He is not a natural PG but a combo guard. I’d agree Kortright has been solid, above expectations.
I stand by Hammond starts from Game 1, next worst case by start of conference play, worst case he de-commits and goes elsewhere. Tons of time between now and October
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EC Mathews
Fatts Russell
Cyril Langevine
Jeff Dowtin

Kortright to off guard. He is not a natural PG but a combo guard. I’d agree Kortright has been solid, above expectations.
I stand by Hammond starts from Game 1, next worst case by start of conference play, worst case he de-commits and goes elsewhere. Tons of time between now and October
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it depends on who comes back but I think if most return then Ben may not start from day 1 , regardless he will be playing loads of minutes and may move into the starting lineup quickly
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting, Adam !
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Savior ! Ben Hammond !
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There must be other schools looking at him now since signed OLIs don't mean anything anymore.
0 x